Mouse keeping? Tip or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are a number of cultural divides concerning tipping of housekeeping both within the US and between the US and other countries.

The tipping tradition started as a result of our colonial beginnings. So many in this country were immigrants without real prospects for normal employment that 'working for tips' established itself as a de'facto in the service industries.

In europe, in contrast, there was already an established servant class and a social system in place to manage and exploit these workers (that's the term, I'm not disparaging Europe for making use of labor). By the time the United States broke off from her lunatic tyrant, the labor party (or whatever the equivalent of the time) was a pretty powerful political force. Laws had even been passed in England governing maximum work week hours in order to bolster empliyment.

Speaking generally about the system, in practice, I like our's better. Most noticable when dining, I have never had consistently poor service here as I have at the mid-lvl dining in England, germanu, and France. Service is always perfect when we eat out at 50 quid a plate, but that's 1 in 10 meals at best. Diners and greasy spoons throughout England and Europe yield service consistently worse than the average American Denny's. And Denny's is a garbage place to eat.

Without a mechanism like tipping in place, the incentives for good service (or sanctions for bad) have to come from management. Certain industries, necessarily, are difficult to provide that kind of oversight in. Like waitressing and housekeeping where managers are severely outnumbered by their charges and customer experience cannot be tracked in real time.

Even compared to average tipping in the US, eating out in europe is much more expensive. When we travel, I like to eat out most meals and it just amazes me what the locals will tolerate, even pay more for, inot terms of service at most places.

Housekeeping tends to run the same. I rarely even see the housekeeper when staying at chain hotels. Special requests get me a smile and nod and then nothing else. I end up getting econo-lodge service even when paying Marriott rates.

So we tip 15-20%. Whether it's a meal or the nightly room rate or the cost of a haircut or whatever.

I rarely tip in hotels. Just like I don't tip the custodian at work who cleans my office. He empties my trash, cleans the bathroom, vacuums the carpet, etc everyday, but I don't leave him a daily tip.

Housekeeping is considered a non-tipped position based on negotiations between their union and Disney. Only tipped positions are valet parking, food and beverage servers and bell services. These positions depend on tips to make up the difference between their wages and minimum wage.

I never used to tip, as I felt they were already being paid for doing their job. Now I'm a custodian at a local college and have a totally different perspective. I too am paid for my work (very well) but it's still very much appreciated to receive a tip. (Even the pieces of chocolate or Thank You notes...college students aren't rich) It's a very repetative job, so an unexpected tip adds a "little something" to the day.

My DD and I stay at value resorts and usually leave $3-$4 a day. We leave everything picked up and neat with all trash bags knotted and sitting by the door. If we do leave in a hurry and the room is messier than usual, we leave a little more.

On Christmas Day I leave a $20, because who wants to work a holiday when they should be with family?

In the end, it's a personal choice. It took a job change for me to really appreciate the work they do.

Last edited:

We always leave our tip in the bathroom on the little tray where toiletries are left. That way it's obvious it is for mouse keeping, and I always am ensured that my toiletries are replenished (often they will leave extra too).

Ooooh, I like this. I usually leave the tip on the pillow, but this is a really good idea.

We always tip! We make the envelopes ahead of time and leave one each day-usually $5 a day, but there is no set rule. Just a little reverse Pixie Dust! and not only at Disney hotels.

Like a lot of others here, my habit is $5 each day, with a brief note of thanks so the housekeeper knows to take the money.

I feel extra responsibility to do this on a Disney vacation because seems like magic should spread forward, backwards, sideways and in circles!

My guess is the majority of guests do not tip.

Last trip, I made sure to have a bunch of dollar bills, and left between $3 and $5 a day for our wonderful housekeeper at Pop. We had a VIP cleaning, and she made sure things were just so for us. She was so sweet and nice, and one night I kind of spilled so tie dye cheesecake in my bed (eating dessert in bed, how fun!) so left a note for sheets to be changed.

Anyway, last day we got a late checkout of noon, since we didn't have to be at the bus until 2:15 or so, and I needed time to pack up our carry on bag after dropping our checked bags with RAC. My DD was so tired (she has a chronic health condition), so we were chilling on the beds when the housekeeper came in. I told her we were leaving, and she said it's okay to stay in the room; she would come back later after the other rooms were done. So nice! We were able to chill and read in peace and quiet before grabbing our last quick lunch on our way out. Definitely gave her $5 that day!

I always tip if they bring me something. Although, one box from Amazon Prime Pantry, a girl from the front desk brought, and when I offered her a tip, unlike bell services, she absolutely said she cannot take it since she's not a tipped position.

Then you would think that the Disney website would remove these answers if they are not correct or would allow them to show up.

I don't tip housekeeping, it is a non-tipped position, I did try once to hand the maid a cash tip and was told they don't accept tips (this was several years ago, but I haven't tried again since then). If they do an exceptional job maybe I'll write a thank you note for the great service or seek out their names so I can tell someone in charge how great a job they did durning our stay.

I don't know if people tip housekeeping when they stay outside of Disney or not, but tipping housekeeping was never something I heard of until I came to these boards!

So if you want to tip I think that's fine, but if you don't want to then that's just fine aswell.

Housekeeping is tipped less often, but they are a tipped position in that if they run extra towels, soap, pillows to you, it is definitely appreciated to tip them.

They are paid a decent hourly wage, though, higher than bell persons, who rely heavily on tips.

I tip at many resorts for housekeeping, especially since I often ask for extra pillows or things. I always leave a note with it, and other than in Korea it's always been appreciated.

I also tip for timeshare midweek cleans and full cleans.

Then you would think that the Disney website would remove these answers if they are not correct or would allow them to show up.
Nope, they just let them go. I'd never go by what the Disney Mom's Panel says. They are right up there with the CMs on the phone at Disney Reservation Center and bus drivers with correct information.

How many rooms do mouse keepers clean per hour?

We always tip...usually about $5 per day. Depending on how many rooms they get to per hour...if everyone tipped that would add up to a fairly nice hourly rate. Good for them as most mouse keepers I've come across are hardworking, kind CMs. :)

We tip $5 a day.

When staying at the BC and Poly last trip, I asked for extra conditioner/shampoo/body wash and they give me a good amount. My daughter's hair gets really tangled from the pool and the H2O conditioner works great as a pretend "leave in" conditioner. It's the only way to brush it out after her shower even after washing it and conditioning it in the shower.

Once when staying at the CBR my daughter wet the bed after not wetting it in over a year. She was 3 at the time. I guess too much eating and drinking later than usual plus being dead asleep from a long day. They came in and changed the sheets and were so kind about it. She got a good tip that day.

We tip, and I think it's just the nice thing to do. We give $5/day for our family of five. (Maybe more if there is something really messy that has occurred, lol).

We always make envelopes ahead of time and leave them out in the morning before we head out.

Does disney address this? When I read the title, I thought 'of course you tip!' Who goes to a hotel and doesn't tip? So I will, prob $5 / day. I understand the different tipping practices in Europe, having do e s trips. So does anyone know of a disney policy (such as most of their positions have) against tipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter