Mosquitos?

What's worse is that some of these mosquitoes carry encephalitis (there was a heightened encephalitis warning/scare a few years ago here in SoCal), so you never know if you're just getting a regular annoying bite or getting a horrible illness.

Encephalitis is a brain inflammation. Maybe mosquitoes were carrying a virus that caused encephalitis, but encephalitis itself is not communicable.

Encephalitis is a brain inflammation. Maybe mosquitoes were carrying a virus that caused encephalitis, but encephalitis itself is not communicable.

I am only repeating to you what was reported on our news repeatedly during that time (without getting into a complex medical explanation on the DIS). I'm sure it was the specific virus that causes encephalitis, but mosquitoes do carry it and we had all kinds of warnings.

ETA: They also carry West Nile virus, which I had totally forgotten about, for some reason, but my friend just reminded me.

Sherry, I think all the bugs must live near your house. I am sorry for you but happy for everyone else. :rolleyes1

That's fine, but I'm getting a little frustrated with feeling like I am being doubted, and having to explain. I am one of the mods here - I'm not spouting off inaccurate info, and if I ever did I would say I was incorrect. This has been my experience. Just trust me, everyone. Your experiences have been different than mine, and leave it at that.

I have not lived in the same house for 43 years. I have lived in different places around this same general area...nowhere near mountains or water.

We have West Nile infected mosquitos here...not fun.

Let's hope they aren't terrible when we're there, but I will tell you that if there is one in the whole state it will find me!!

24 hours and counting!!!

^^ Yikes! That must have been fun.:sick:
Part of my job was to provide information and guidance to prevent employee and public exposure to vector-borne diseases here in central California. I was surprised to learn the plague is still a threat to human health right here in good ole California. :scared1: Prior to dealing with employee and public health I thought the plague was a European problem that had been gone for centuries.

:rotfl2:You'll probably be lucky in that you most likely will not have any mosquito encounters in DLR. They are not 100% bug free, but they do a pretty good job of keeping most pests out or away from public view.

As for your other stops while in SoCal, you might run into some hungry mosquitoes. If you have sweet blood like I do (and it sounds like you do), they might seek you out and chomp on you unless take the usual precautions like wearing long pants and shirts with sleeves, or spraying yourself down with Off or something.

I have had those pesky bites between my fingers too. I have also had bites between my toes and on my toes and fingers (below my knuckles). I have even had bites on the very tips of my toes. Mostly, the mosquitoes chomp on my legs, and I could go from having no bites to suddenly having lots of bites in a couple of hours - and I never even knew I was getting bitten!

What's worse is that some of these mosquitoes carry encephalitis (there was a heightened encephalitis warning/scare a few years ago here in SoCal), so you never know if you're just getting a regular annoying bite or getting a horrible illness.

I'm a mosquito magnet also! I also have been bitten on the fingers and toes, as well as my ears, eyelids, and head. When I spray on Off I have to use it like hairspray to spray my head! :scared1:

Anyhow, I am happy to say that I don't remember ever being bitten at DLR!

The only Disney-related mosquito problem I've had was around sunset at WDW. Always applied a good coating of insect repellent in the late afternoon while at WDW. However, DLR always seemed mosquito-free.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter