• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More restaurants at Disneyland add alcohol

Never been to epcot, so I can't speak to that. I have been to DL/DCA/DTD several times over and I've simply never seen it. Alcohol has been readily available at DCA & DTD, and it would be incorrect to assert that it ruins the family friendly experience.
Yeah, I don't understand all the mentions of EPCOT here when the obvious place study for what will likely happen at DL is DCA.

As Emmybee noted, the drinking habits may be different on the West Coast.

But what I consider an even more important factor is that the vast majority of DL visitors are locals. If you can go home later or stop at your favorite bar and have the exact alcoholic beverage of your choice for a fraction of the price, why would you want to get sloshed on overpriced drinks at DL? Oh, and since you will be driving home rather than taking a Disney boat as you might at EPCOT, you're more likely to watch your intake. Plus, you aren't on vacation, so not only do you not have that "let's live it up" frame of mind, you also probably have to go to work in the morning.

AFAIK all the alcohol available at DCA for years and years hasn't been an issue, so I see no reason why it would be a problem at DL.

I'm suprised, but I don't expect any nonsense. It's not like alcohol isn't readily availability just steps from the park, not to mention DCA. I've never seen an obviously inebriated person making an *** of themselves.
The only thing that surprises me is that it took them so long, given the absolutely huge profit margins on alcoholic beverages, and that they have been doing this at MK in WDW for a decade now with no noticeable problems caused.

We like to eat at Hearthstone Lounge in GCH. We arrive when they open at 11 am. By 11:30 am the bar is full, and not with locals.

A few weeks ago, we had brunch at Lamplight Lounge. We didn't have reservations, so walked up and were seated at the bar. The waitress greeted us and asked where we were from. She was surprised when we said that we were local. We watched the bartenders hustling to get the drinks out. Mimosa flights were very popular. Again, there were very few locals. More than anything, I was disgusted that the servers handled the credit cards, register, scratched their nose, etc. then, without washing their hands, grabbed sliced oranges, berries and mint garnishes and put them in the drinks. :eek:

We like to eat at Hearthstone Lounge in GCH. We arrive when they open at 11 am. By 11:30 am the bar is full, and not with locals.

A few weeks ago, we had brunch at Lamplight Lounge. We didn't have reservations, so walked up and were seated at the bar. The waitress greeted us and asked where we were from. She was surprised when we said that we were local. We watched the bartenders hustling to get the drinks out. Mimosa flights were very popular. Again, there were very few locals. More than anything, I was disgusted that the servers handled the credit cards, register, scratched their nose, etc. then, without washing their hands, grabbed sliced oranges, berries and mint garnishes and put them in the drinks. :eek:
I would definitely have a word with a manager if I witnessed that kind of unhygienic practice in a restaurant.

I would definitely have a word with a manager if I witnessed that kind of unhygienic practice in a restaurant.
But it wasn't one person. It was all of them! The bartender made the drinks and the servers put the garnishes in. The garnishes were right next to the register, facing away from the bar.

It’s kind of sad given Walt’s feelings about alcohol in the park. For a while it was contained at Olga’s, but I guess we have to prepare for it to be sold throughout the park.
Agree 100%. When I hear about this kind of thing, it compels me to wonder “Can you not go a single day without a drink?” It also makes me feel like they’re asking for trouble. A CM I know who works in ticketing has told me many times that she’s seen MK/AP holders have their passes revoked countless times. In most cases, alcohol is involved in some capacity.

I’m excited about this. I sometimes like to have a drink with my meal (especially when my kids are being extra that day 😂).

I’ve been to the parks too many times to count and I can only remember a few times where noticeably drunk people bothered me and/or captured my attention. I mean, with those drink prices, you have to spend $$$$$ to get drunk at Disney. One is good for me! 😂

Never been to epcot, so I can't speak to that. I have been to DL/DCA/DTD several times over and I've simply never seen it. Alcohol has been readily available at DCA & DTD, and it would be incorrect to assert that it ruins the family friendly experience. So, I have no concerns about the change, and no, I don't drink alcohol. While I find the change surprising, it's no reason to think the park is going the way of some nightclub as the new offerings are at sit down restaurants.
I have never seen it anywhere but Epcot where it has definitely ruined the family friendly environment for us and others on many occasions. So it is not an assertion that you can claim to be incorrect. It is a fact. When no checks and balances are in place, you risk running into what happens sometimes at Epcot. With all due respect, you cannot discount personal experiences of others simply because you have not witnessed this at Disneyland. But Disneyland Park is not Epcot for sure (Epcot is unique in this way), so I don't foresee the same types of situations arising based on what they've announced. Just as I would not expect them to arise (and have not seen this behavior) at MK, DHS or AK (the latter two of which both serve in more locations than MK).

To be clear, I am not at all against consumption, in fact I run a home bar website business and regularly review cocktails in the parks and elsewhere. I am active in the adult beverage industry. I am stating that when you serve alcohol as a business, in our jurisdiction, you have a legal obligation to manage consumption levels for those you are serving if they appear intoxicated. Epcot can definitely do a better job at that. But then again, Florida may not have any rules around this.

Thankfully, these situations are the exception and not the rule. But when they do occur, they can be scary especially for children. Our daughter still talks about a specific situation of drunks (eight individuals) that scared her as we were stuck on the monorail back to the MK area so we could not get away from the situation of drunken profanity, loud screaming and aggressive behavior. Not a good situation and definitely crushed any Disney magic on that day. She could not get to sleep that night.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily care about them selling alcohol, but I hope that they keep a tighter reign on serving people then EPCOT seems to do. EPCOT at night can get so rowdy and obnoxious with people who've obviously drank to excess. Being stuck in lines with drunken obnoxious people is pretty damned annoying.

I think it'sll be like at Magic Kingdom, isolated to sit-down places. I don't think they are going to have beer carts, etc. like they do in other parks. That should cut down on any rowdiness.

That said, it doesn't prevent anyone from showing up inebriated. The most drunk person I ever saw at Disney was at MK - a large, middle-aged guy who was loudly singing along to the Boo to You parade - he knew every word too! 🤣 It was actually hillarious.

Only seen one once and it was when I got ran over by a scooter and got pulled up by a guy and taken to off the path to be asked if I was alright. He told me he was security and did I need anything.
I was outside a restroom in DCA once and saw three people hanging around, two male and one female. They were dressed like normal folk, one in shorts and a tacky t-shirt. A man exited the restroom and they were all over him. Not sure what he did but that was interesting to observe.

Blatant money grab by Disney. Directed at the hoards of annoying Disney Adults #influencers that IG every waking moment of their miserable lives.

I'm with you on this. There's no reason to do this other than Disney is trying to make a lot more money at the cost alcohol always brings to every situation (always bad). Plus, we all know this is being pushed by adults who don't like to adult. The last thing Disney needs is a buzzed guest who is already annoying and obnoxious to other guests...now going full board comrade on people in line and on the rides. This will invite even more of the crowd I don't want to see at Disney. This will create more situations that ruin someone's day.

"But they already do this at California Adventure!" Yeah, and at least once each trip I make to DLR, some drunk dude starts mouthing off to me or around me post-WOC. It never fails. I'd rather not add that to DL.

I wish people recorded these "drunk" guests because I've gone to the parks plenty of times since they added Alcohol and never had a issue because of it

I'm not a big drinker and sure people have personal reasons to not like drinking but without proof, it feels more like many adults online just want complain about this when it affects nothing.
Servers will get tipped more as someone said above, some people just want a drink after a long day of Disneying with kids and as long as they don't over serve people then I think its fine

I do wish that when they added new items they make bank on they improved the parks with the money but besides that, I don't see the reason to be upset

As someone who enjoys an occasional beverage when I go to DLR, I think this is great. It can give the servers bigger tips and increase guest enjoyment.

Of course, anything taken to excess can be a problem. Until DLR reaches Epcot-like levels of terrible drunken guest behavior, I don't think there's that much cause for alarm. DCA doesn't have reports of massive bad drunken guest behavior.

I think WDW is different because it's people spending giant gobs of money to be there. Flights, hotels, restaurants. There's lots of stress combined with heat. Tempers are shorter, hence you see a lot more families yelling at each other at WDW than DLR. So people might be more prone to excess on a family vacation versus what DLR offers.

I think WDW is different because it's people spending giant gobs of money to be there. Flights, hotels, restaurants. There's lots of stress combined with heat. Tempers are shorter, hence you see a lot more families yelling at each other at WDW than DLR. So people might be more prone to excess on a family vacation versus what DLR offers.
Yes, exactly. As I said, people are in a very different frame of mind when they're on vacation. The majority of DL visitors aren't. It's a very different situation.

I wish people recorded these "drunk" guests because I've gone to the parks plenty of times since they added Alcohol and never had a issue because of it

I'm not a big drinker and sure people have personal reasons to not like drinking but without proof, it feels more like many adults online just want complain about this when it affects nothing.
Servers will get tipped more as someone said above, some people just want a drink after a long day of Disneying with kids and as long as they don't over serve people then I think its fine

I do wish that when they added new items they make bank on they improved the parks with the money but besides that, I don't see the reason to be upset

Yeah, I am a non-drinker and, to be honest, have a generally negative opinion on alcohol. That said, I really don't see a lot of issues in the parks. Epcot Food & Wine is supposedly notorious, but I've never really seen the bad behavior personally. I once was in line for the Maelstrom behind some young ladies and their mother who were clearly pretty drunk. The mom fell down and I did have to catch her. Otherwise, they were just totally crushing on the burly, oil-rig guy in the old mural they had there. They ended up on my boat and were endlessly entertianing. It was more funny than anything else. So, I've seen that a bit, but never anything that was just terrible. Honestly, I've seen some bad behavior from people who didn't appear to be drunk at all, and that includes in MK and DL, the parks that didn't serve at all at the time.

Are there going to be some people that take it too far? Probably, but I really don't think it'll somehow transform the park into a drunken wonderland. Now, yeah, if it was my call, I'd vote against it, but also I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over it.

Last edited:
I have never seen it anywhere but Epcot where it has definitely ruined the family friendly environment for us and others on many occasions. So it is not an assertion that you can claim to be incorrect. It is a fact. When no checks and balances are in place, you risk running into what happens sometimes at Epcot. With all due respect, you cannot discount personal experiences of others simply because you have not witnessed this at Disneyland. But Disneyland Park is not Epcot for sure (Epcot is unique in this way), so I don't foresee the same types of situations arising based on what they've announced. Just as I would not expect them to arise (and have not seen this behavior) at MK, DHS or AK (the latter two of which both serve in more locations than MK).

To be clear, I am not at all against consumption, in fact I run a home bar website business and regularly review cocktails in the parks and elsewhere. I am active in the adult beverage industry. I am stating that when you serve alcohol as a business, in our jurisdiction, you have a legal obligation to manage consumption levels for those you are serving if they appear intoxicated. Epcot can definitely do a better job at that. But then again, Florida may not have any rules around this.

Thankfully, these situations are the exception and not the rule. But when they do occur, they can be scary especially for children. Our daughter still talks about a specific situation of drunks (eight individuals) that scared her as we were stuck on the monorail back to the MK area so we could not get away from the situation of drunken profanity, loud screaming and aggressive behavior. Not a good situation and definitely crushed any Disney magic on that day. She could not get to sleep that night.
Again, it is in fact incorrect because people have had the ability to drink to their heart's content in all areas of the California Disneyland resort outside of DL's gates for decades, at this point. You can buy alcohol without purchasing food at several counter service offerings in DCA. There are several bars within steps of the gate at DTD. For all I know, you could probably buy shots as the bars as they look like they are stocked for that sort of thing. Countless trips over countless years, sometimes a week at a time without stepping a foot outside the resort. I love DL, but it is nothing sacred. If people want to have a drink, and DL sees fit to serve it, it has nothing to do with me or my family's enjoyment on our terms.

Maybe it's generational, maybe it's where I'm from, but I don't go to any particularly great lengths to shield my daughter from the unpleasantries of life. We have taught her situational awareness, she knows we will always protect her, we demonstrate confidence in her judgement and gave her the freedom to roam alone in a safe environment, specifically the DL resort since she was 10/11. Not once did the knowledge that people are drinking alcohol deter us from giving her that freedom. Why would it? It has never been a problem. If I saw a drunk person tomorrow, it wouldn't change my mind. I'm more than confident that the appropriate CM would handle it.

Again, it is in fact incorrect because people have had the ability to drink to their heart's content in all areas of the California Disneyland resort outside of DL's gates for decades, at this point. You can buy alcohol without purchasing food at several counter service offerings in DCA. There are several bars within steps of the gate at DTD. For all I know, you could probably buy shots as the bars as they look like they are stocked for that sort of thing. Countless trips over countless years, sometimes a week at a time without stepping a foot outside the resort. I love DL, but it is nothing sacred. If people want to have a drink, and DL sees fit to serve it, it has nothing to do with me or my family's enjoyment on our terms.

Maybe it's generational, maybe it's where I'm from, but I don't go to any particularly great lengths to shield my daughter from the unpleasantries of life. We have taught her situational awareness, she knows we will always protect her, we demonstrate confidence in her judgement and gave her the freedom to roam alone in a safe environment, specifically the DL resort since she was 10/11. Not once did the knowledge that people are drinking alcohol deter us from giving her that freedom. Why would it? It has never been a problem. If I saw a drunk person tomorrow, it wouldn't change my mind. I'm more than confident that the appropriate CM would handle it.
Whatever. You are arguing with yourself. Have a great day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter