More of a white/blue card divide in the future?

Do you think blue card holders will continue to gain more privileges than white?

• Yes, there will be significant privileges granted to blue card holders

Votes: 55 40.7%
  • Yes, but it's not likely the privileges will matter all that much

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • No, there's only so much Disney can do -- won't be a big difference

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
So true. Disney lawyers don’t seem to be DVC lawyers.

From my experience with corporate America, my guess is that Disney does not have an in house attorney that specializes in Timeshares - contracts, yes. And probably a real estate attorney, definitely IP attorneys, and tax attorneys and employment attorneys - but probably not specifically timeshare. That's likely jobbed out to a law firm and supervised by the person doing real estate. And DVC has now been slapped down twice publically for things that should have been better vetted by Legal, Aulani dues and the point chart reallocation. So there are likely more eyes on the decisions DVC makes and the legal consult that happens.

So there are likely more eyes on the decisions DVC makes and the legal consult that happens.

By "more eyes on the decisions DVC makes," do you mean more Disney management eyes on those decisions now than there used to be? Or more contracted timeshare law attorney eyes? Not sure I understand your point. Thanks.

As long as the economy is strong there will be no increase in blue cards perks. When the economy tanks they will probably increase the blue card perks temporarily, but I would expect them to lower the direct point requirement to get a blue card at the same time. Disney has given themselves a quick way to boost direct sales during an economic downturn in the future by raising the minimum to 100 now. During tough economic times they can drop that minimum to 25 (or even 50) for new direct purchases and get resale buyers to rush in to try to grab a blue card while they can by creating what will look like a great discount to those that crave a blue card.

By "more eyes on the decisions DVC makes," do you mean more Disney management eyes on those decisions now than there used to be? Or more contracted timeshare law attorney eyes? Not sure I understand your point. Thanks.

Probably both. Its the sort of thing that gets outsourced, and the law firm assigns it to some new attorney to research - maybe one that is still studying for the bar, and a junior partner gives it a once over, and then moves it to Disney legal who passes it to DVC with perhaps a cursory glance. I suspect since those two events, the law firm now does a better review, and Disney legal gives it more than a cursory glance. Not all decisions that Legal weighs in on are given the same amount of attention or get the same level of expertise.

Probably both. Its the sort of thing that gets outsourced, and the law firm assigns it to some new attorney to research - maybe one that is still studying for the bar, and a junior partner gives it a once over, and then moves it to Disney legal who passes it to DVC with perhaps a cursory glance. I suspect since those two events, the law firm now does a better review, and Disney legal gives it more than a cursory glance. Not all decisions that Legal weighs in on are given the same amount of attention or get the same level of expertise.
Thanks. Not being familiar with corporate law, I needed the clarification!

Financially, it makes sense to drive more sales as direct, but there are natural limits to what DVD can do. It comes down to personal value... someone who buys DVC with the intent to use at other resorts and will sell before expiration has a lot more to lose than someone who buys/holds t and stays at that one resort.

Resale prices will degrade a bit, which would be great for people who never cared for the ancillary benefits.

The $20 AP discount and 10% food discount was never worth the cost of direct (and the food discount is bigger on an premium AP anyway), but changes to booking window could be a resale game changer as mentioned above.

The $20 AP discount and 10% food discount was never worth the cost of direct (and the food discount is bigger on an premium AP anyway), but changes to booking window could be a resale game changer as mentioned above.

The $20 AP discount i think is only at DL. At WDW, the current discount is about $400

The $20 AP discount i think is only at DL. At WDW, the current discount is about $400

thanks for that (FL is not in our 5 year travel plans), didn’t think it was that huge.... still not sure if paying the premium is worth that, though.

thanks for that (FL is not in our 5 year travel plans), didn’t think it was that huge.... still not sure if paying the premium is worth that, though.
Depends on several factors, but lets play with some quick numbers. You only need 100 points right now to qualify for perks. Avg difference between direct and resale is about $60. So $60 x 100 = $6,000.

Family of 5 who travels down twice a year, can save $2k per year. The breakeven is only 3 years for this family.

Another example, a couple who travels once per year. No need for annual pass. Lets say they spend $300 each per trip on table service restaurants. Break even for them would be 100 years. Unfortunatly, dvc contracts are only 50 years.

Point being, every family and situation is different

Depends on several factors, but lets play with some quick numbers. You only need 100 points right now to qualify for perks. Avg difference between direct and resale is about $60. So $60 x 100 = $6,000.

Family of 5 who travels down twice a year, can save $2k per year. The breakeven is only 3 years for this family.

Another example, a couple who travels once per year. No need for annual pass. Lets say they spend $300 each per trip on table service restaurants. Break even for them would be 100 years. Unfortunatly, dvc contracts are only 50 years.

Point being, every family and situation is different

Those numbers make my teeth sweat.

they’d probably never extend that to CA, our visit and AP patterns are so different, they, in effect, would be subsidizing behavior that would already happen.

But they don’t need to know that ;)

I’d go direct sale in a heartbeat.

My point is that it’s deceiving to say you will save $400 on an AP without revealing its an AP that contains blackout periods.
I'm not a DVC sales rep. My half a line post was not meant to be an all encompassing analysis of Direct vs Resale, showing the financial implications for all family/travel date scenarios. It was in response to a post that was using DL discounts as the basis of a conclusion that doesn't affect probably 98% of DVC owners.

FWIW, the blackout periods on the Gold Pass are pretty limited. I think you can use a gold pass almost 93% of the year. Even if you do normally travel during those blackout dates, it is still of consequence to you because you now may have the option of changing future travel plans.

If the new DLR DVC is approved, maybe they'll finally make a better DVC discount on AP to help sales.

If the new DLR DVC is approved, maybe they'll finally make a better DVC discount on AP to help sales.
They won't have to do a thing to help direct sales at DLR DVC resort. Demand far surpasses supply. That is reflected in both the direct price of VGC and in the fact DVC has used ROFR on contracts as high as $186 per point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter