MORE Brazilians?

I'm going to address each of the bolded points above in turn.

1. Do they? Even most of the obnoxious cheer groups have figured out to stop cheering in the park or late/early at their resorts because of the disruption to others it causes. IF they know it's wrong to chant, then they don't care. Which is a problem...and disrespectful to the US culture.

2. Sure they do. There are lots of things that are fairly acceptable in Brazil or other countries that isn't acceptable here.

3. Brazil is colorful, party-type place. Carnivale and all that. They are a bouyant and vibrant people. That's where the chanting comes from. Their exuberance. It isn't just the tour groups. When I was at the Special Olympics World GAmes with thousands of athletes and coaches from around the world, I noticed the Brazilian team was chanting and clapping all the time.

4. I don't know. I haven't seen any Brazilian tour groups in New York...then again, I've never HEARD them either, so maybe your on to something ahhahaha!

5. Finally, cutting in line is not "clearly" wrong. There are many MANY places in the world where there is no "queuing up". Go to Disneyland Paris and you'll be shocked at how people simply MOB the characters instead of lining up politely. Some countries/culture just don't understand the concept of waiting their turn. Not saying that Brazil is one of those.

I'd say one of two things is happening. Either these tour groups KNOW that they are being disruptive and they don't CARE or they don't care enough to learn about how to properly behave where they're going. You know there are plenty of Americans who travel abroad and fall into the two above categories. They're the ones who give the rest of us a bad name.

1. I meant that they know how they should behave, not that they behave. I think the way I wrote that wasn't very clear. If you chanted past 10pm here, you would get in trouble as well. It's really not different. Maybe in a tourist destination like a hotel in a beach somewhere it might be more lax, but it is not allowed here either. I live in a city that is a very popular location for tourists, that type of thing is NOT acceptable here. There is a law that you are not supposed to play music, yell, whatever, past 10pm, so people know.

Whether they will respect it or not is up to them. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who don't respect that either. I have been to hotels in NYC and even Disney hotels where other American families did not respect that rule. As for the cheerleaders, I'm willing to bet they keep it quiet because they are told to and they know there will be consequences if they don't, whereas the Brazilian teenagers know that nothing will happen since apparently, nothing does. CMs do nothing, Disney does nothing and their chaperones are a joke. They are just as bad in some situations.

I agree with you that it's very disrespectful, rude and very wrong. But it's not because they don't know the rules or what is right or wrong. Which makes it even sadder I guess.

2. Sure there are, but on an average city that doesn't have tourism as its only focus, it is very similar to the US. The only difference is that laws aren't always enforced. It's not as strict as the US, but the rules are almost all the same. With the exception of buying alcohol and using it in public, that is quite different. Everything else, I really can't think of anything that is truly accepted as a norm here that is not accepted over there.

3. Well, maybe it's because I haven't been to Rio, or Salvador or I don't where else. But here in the south, it's really not like that. That's not how I would describe most places I have been to here except tourist beaches during the summer. But they are not much different from American beaches on spring break. Actually, nothing like what happens on spring break parties ever happened on any beach I have been to here. Which is why I say it's really not that different. There are a few specific locations that are like you describe. But it is the minority. It would be like me saying that Disney = the US.

4. Thank God! I hope I didn't give them any ideas. :rotfl:

5. Yeah, I know. I'm saying it is clearly wrong because it is clearly wrong here as well! Some people will say nothing, but then again, some Americans won't say anything either if you cut in line. But it is not accepted. We have lines on most places and it's not accepted to cut in front of anyone.

And I agree with you. They know, but they don't care. Because they can get away with it. A lot of people here, myself included, are taught that the US is a strict place, if you do something wrong there will be consequences, etc. But then those kids go there and nothing happens to them. The tour guides see that they can do whatever, so I'm thinking they just don't care. It's easier to let those things happen than to try to control a bunch of spoiled, ungrateful kids. So that's what they do. Which is why I think it's up to Disney to put an end to this.

No need to do anything that will make them stop coming. Maybe give them a few perks like 2 FPs per day for each member of the group, but LIMIT the amount of people that can be in a group and give them clear rules to follow. With consequences. You chanted? You either stop or you lose all FPs for the next day, for EVERYONE in the group. I bet that will shut them up. That way they won't bother anyone.

By the way, this behavior is not exclusive to Brazilian tour groups, I have seen plenty of videos on youtube where tour groups from Argentina and other countries were chanting as well. I'm sure they aren't much different. Which makes it even more important in my opinion to do something about this situation.

:mad: i just don't like tour groups! esp when they just seem to barge past you and then they look at you as if :confused3 and the worst are from Brazil!

I don't know what the answer is. Though I did witness a few years ago, the chanting and clapping get drowned out by a very loud chorus of the Star Spangled Banner while waiting in line for BTMRR. The tour kids tried to get louder but they were very outnumbered by the others in line.

You can't limit what they have access to, since as paying guests they have every right to FP, ADR's, the pool, transportation, parade viewing etc. The only hope is to keep urging Disney to police these groups, and to vote with your wallet and try not to go when the glut of groups is there.

Don't they let the groups coming in for grad nights know that they need to behave within some reasonable limits? Having just experienced the groups from Brazil for the first time, I would think that one word to the tour group leaders would go a long ways.

The only negative thing I witnessed was chanting before Illuminations. If they didn't stay together as large groups that would probably take care of the problem, but I understand why they do that.

I hope they do make it easier for them to get visas. Tourism business can only help our economy.

I haven't read thru the thread, but we were never really affected by them much on prior trips, maybe a group here or there, but we were at WDW and Sea World last week and it was horrible. If they were scattered here and there throughout the parks it might not have been bad, but they stood around in small tight groups and you couldn't navigate the walkways.

At the end of the day,the leaders stood at the front of the park with their flags and it reminded me of our elementary school fire drills where we stood in rows by grades while the head nun was on her bag phone/speaker. People literally had to almost crawl through them to get out of the park.

There were alot of other foreign travelers as well, very few poeple we talked to were from the US.

A tour group is a tour group, Brazilian has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you've heard people talk about the behavior of the Pop Warner and Cheer groups that run amok during their visits.

I like to keep in mind that it's not a type of people who cause problems in this world, rather it's individuals that make poor choices and choose to behave in unfortunate ways. Sometimes these people come together in groups. Which group or culture they are affiliated with has nothing to do with the problem.

For as many boorish cheerleaders or Brazilians you can think of, there are always members of those groups that have good manners and are considerate to others. Please remember that behavior is an individual choice and not classify it by groups....

Thanks,
Marlton Mom

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Where's the darned "like" button here on the Dis?

:rotfl:

I love your point, Marlton Mom. I agree that it isn't appropriate to bash a group just because someone in the group made a poor choice.

A tour group is a tour group, Brazilian has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you've heard people talk about the behavior of the Pop Warner and Cheer groups that run amok during their visits.

I like to keep in mind that it's not a type of people who cause problems in this world, rather it's individuals that make poor choices and choose to behave in unfortunate ways. Sometimes these people come together in groups. Which group or culture they are affiliated with has nothing to do with the problem.

For as many boorish cheerleaders or Brazilians you can think of, there are always members of those groups that have good manners and are considerate to others. Please remember that behavior is an individual choice and not classify it by groups....

Thanks,
Marlton Mom

Amen!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2 :worship: :worship::thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I don't know what the answer is. Though I did witness a few years ago, the chanting and clapping get drowned out by a very loud chorus of the Star Spangled Banner while waiting in line for BTMRR. The tour kids tried to get louder but they were very outnumbered by the others in line.

This is a GENIUS idea, and from now on, I think all DIS'ers should be prepared to begin singing our national anthem whenever the tour groups get out of hand - I promise to join in, loudly, even on the high notes!

KC:thumbsup2

This is a GENIUS idea, and from now on, I think all DIS'ers should be prepared to begin singing our national anthem whenever the tour groups get out of hand - I promise to join in, loudly, even on the high notes!

KC:thumbsup2

Count us in, too! ::yes::

Count us in, too! ::yes::
:rotfl:

Even I am in! If that happens I'll certainly start singing it or join loudly if anyone starts. Great idea! And it's nice because it's an anthem you can really get into singing and really use your voice so I can see how it would help drown out the annoying chanting.

But it's not being Brazilian that's the problem. It's the fact that large groups of incredibly over-privileged but under-chaperoned 15 year olds are bound to behave badly. Extremely wealthy American teens don't tend to travel to foreign countries in packs without their parents. If they did, we'd have people in...say....Mallorca complaining "Can you believe what those American tour groups did on the beach?"

Have you ever heard of spring break? :thumbsup2

Have you ever heard of spring break? :thumbsup2

:rotfl: SO TRUE!

I have to be honest: There were a lot of female Brazilian tour groups staying at our resort with us last year. They weren't loud, they weren't rude...they were just high maintenance! LOL In all seriousness we jokingly called them the 'goddesses'. Other than the fact that there were a lot of them, they didn't bother us a bit.

We have been far more bothered by traveling soccer and hockey teams here at home invading the local restaurants...running around unsupervised while the parents just chat it up and drink away. :mad:

If it makes anyone feel better...they invade non touristy places too. They invaded the Super Target down the street from me today. All wearing Disney shirts, yelling in the cheese section (funny because they seemed to be really yelling about cheese, annoying because I just wanted some friggen cheese) taking up the aisle so I couldn't get past, and being really loud. I kind of wanted to know the Portuguese for "STOP FEEDING THE BRAZILIAN TOUR GROUP STEREOTYPE!!" I didn't, so I just said it in English.... If they would have started chanting in the cheese aisle, I don't know what I would have done ;)

Which group or culture they are affiliated with has nothing to do with the problem.
This isn't necessarily true, there are cultural differences. Acceptable behavior in one country, may not meet approval in another.

This is so funny. Before I read this post I was just thinking about starting a song during their chant. I have zero tolerance for routy teenagers and double that for foreign routy teenagers. I'll have to bring out my stroller whack for anyone who tries to tumble us and trip anyone trying to cut. This will really piss me off and I hope they all go home before we get there......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter