MORE Brazilians?

Love this: From easywdw.com

Other Portuguese phrases that may come in handy during your Walt Disney World vacation:

“Please don’t cut in front of me.” – Por favor, não corte na minha frente.

“That shirt appears to be two or three sizes too small.” – Essa camisa parece ser dois ou três tamanhos muito pequenos.

“Can I buy you a Lapu Lapu?” – Posso comprar-lhe uma Lapu Lapu?

“Would you stop chanting if you realized no one understands what you’re saying?” – Quer parar de cantar se você percebeu que ninguém entende o que você está dizendo?

Totally wish I could figure out how to pronounce all this right.

A tour group is a tour group, Brazilian has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you've heard people talk about the behavior of the Pop Warner and Cheer groups that run amok during their visits.

I like to keep in mind that it's not a type of people who cause problems in this world, rather it's individuals that make poor choices and choose to behave in unfortunate ways. Sometimes these people come together in groups. Which group or culture they are affiliated with has nothing to do with the problem.

For as many boorish cheerleaders or Brazilians you can think of, there are always members of those groups that have good manners and are considerate to others. Please remember that behavior is an individual choice and not classify it by groups....Thanks,
Marlton Mom

Great post :thumbsup2

Cultural differences are just that - cultural differences. Over the years, these cultural differences have provided some memories --

1 - We stayed at CSR during a soccer convention. No one told us this ahead of time, and we did not think to look it up. EVERYONE at the resort spoke Spanish or Portuguese. WE were the foreigners. Who spoke English???? :confused3

2 - My daughter and I were waiting for over an hour at MK for the afternoon parade. We had good seats on Main Street's curb. At the LAST SECOND, as the parade was approaching, a European couple & their young daughter sat "on top of us". The next second - the Mom was nursing her 4 or 5 year old daughter! And - she nursed throughout the parade!!!!! :scared1:

3 - We helped some very lost Brazilian girls. They needed a rest room, then panicked when they were separated from their group. We helped them find the group. They were most appreciative, and told us so in whatever English they could think of. They were really sweet kids. :thumbsup2

It's a great big world. :goodvibes

We were there last week and saw many Brazilian tour groups made up of teenagers. When I first saw them I thought, "Oh great, here we go with the obnoxious kids." Although, I must admit that I was very pleasantly surprised. Every group we encountered over the week in various parks were very well behaved and respectful. I didn't experience any of the rudeness that I'd read about here on the Dis. Maybe the adult leaders of these groups laid out higher expectations. :confused3

I don't care about the chanting, queue invasions or mass movement through the parks. I'm more annoyed with the Brazillian PDAs I saw in January. I come from a Puritan background and all that so all that PDA makes me uneasy.

RNR = a FATHER, a FATHER was holding his 16-ish yo DAUGHTER's legs around his waist while she jumped up and straddled him. This same guy was holding onto and stroking his wife's backside, shoulders, neck, back and who knows what else b/c I couldn't look. I thought he was odd until I noticed these PDA's all over the place!!

Peter Pan = couple leaning into each other, face to face, start kissing while their 2-ish yo climbs under the chain. CM says something first to child, then stands up and talks to parents who smile and go back to sucking face while their kid walks under the chain again. And so on.

Seriously, what do you do when you're behind these folks in a line? I had to turn completely around but then was faced with more PDAs behind me!!! Eye patches? Loud humming and close my eyes? What to do?

I don't care about the chanting, queue invasions or mass movement through the parks. I'm more annoyed with the Brazillian PDAs I saw in January. I come from a Puritan background and all that so all that PDA makes me uneasy.

RNR = a FATHER, a FATHER was holding his 16-ish yo DAUGHTER's legs around his waist while she jumped up and straddled him. This same guy was holding onto and stroking his wife's backside, shoulders, neck, back and who knows what else b/c I couldn't look. I thought he was odd until I noticed these PDA's all over the place!!

Peter Pan = couple leaning into each other, face to face, start kissing while their 2-ish yo climbs under the chain. CM says something first to child, then stands up and talks to parents who smile and go back to sucking face while their kid walks under the chain again. And so on.

Seriously, what do you do when you're behind these folks in a line? I had to turn completely around but then was faced with more PDAs behind me!!! Eye patches? Loud humming and close my eyes? What to do?

1. What does PDA mean?
2. That stuff is present across cultures, though I can't speak for it's extent.
3. Unless they were naked or something it isn't illegal or against the rules as far as I know (although tight clothes could be... not sure on that one.)

That said, I understand how you could pinpoint Brazillians as the source of most of these problems. I too generalised after returning from a trip (not to WDW.) (Issues with people blocking paths etc, mostly a single nationality, but 5 minutes after posting a rather stupid post made in anger on the Dis I realised my mistake. Something approximately 9000 posters on the Dis also helpfully pointed out. :laughing:)

Just try to remember that there are bad eggs in every culture and across every age group. I know it is hard when the only immediate examples to hand are from one single group ('I hate all men/women/babies/teenagers' springs to mind as an example of this phenomenon.)

Not trying to preach, apologise if that is what it sounded like. And yes, this may well result in an increase of BTG threads...

And the point of the story is speculation that Prez Obama will announce an easing for the visa-processing that Brazilians now go through to travel to US for vacation. Apparently it's not very easy to get a visa now, and they expect he'll be changing that.

That isn't even the real problem. The REAL problem is Obama is expected to make it easier for Brazilian tour groups to rent ECV's.

My grandfather was from Portugal.
Unfortunately, the only words I know in Portuguese are ones that would likely cause a fight or riot....But I mumbled them many times under my breath in July. :lmao:

Of course, I'm mumbled some words in English, too.
Rude people are rude people...no matter where they come from.;)

So far, I've only seen mention of Brazil. The plan will also make it much easier to get a visa from India and China.

Local news said this move may increase the number of visitors from Brazil by 40 percent a year. Every 35 people visiting means another job in the tourist industry for Florida.

When we go to Disney in the summer we always cross our fingers to miss the groups. They are loud, and so forth as already stated. The chanting is a concern with us, as it sets my daughter whom is autistic into a meltdown from the extreme sounds. Another one of my concerns is when they walking through the parks, they do cut you off and we have a wheelchair for my daughter which in several cases we have hit members of the group with the wheelchair as they step inside her foot pegs and walk slowly. They look back and give you the look as if it was your fault. I agree the leaders of the group are poorly mannered and I think that is what inspires the group to act that way.

I don't know what the answer is. Though I did witness a few years ago, the chanting and clapping get drowned out by a very loud chorus of the Star Spangled Banner while waiting in line for BTMRR. The tour kids tried to get louder but they were very outnumbered by the others in line.

This sounds like a wonderfully patriotic solution to an annoying problem! I will be sure to join in if the circumstances arise!

I must say, our last trip several years ago was in May and I did not encounter any of these tour groups. I did meet one young Brazillion fellow about 15-16 years of age on the monorail. When I hobbled onto the monorail with my sore leg, he immediately stood and offered me his seat. He clearly did not understand English, but was quite a gentleman all the same!

I have seen maybe 1 or 2 groups during the summer, but I have never seen as many in one place as I did last week. It was bad and they were rude, and probably 10 times worse than the Pop Warner kids ever thought of being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter