More Amazing Adventures of the 2012 Disney Mom's Panel

Interested in hearing what people say about their applications to the various slots, especially runDisney! It seems that they're making selections for perhaps 1 or 2 panel slots for each of the various specialties - I'm wondering if my odds would have been better just applying for the WDW panel since they're choosing more finalists for it - and presumably seating a much larger number of panelists in the end for it?

It would have been nice to know that information going into the application process.

Interested in hearing what people say about their applications to the various slots, especially runDisney! It seems that they're making selections for perhaps 1 or 2 panel slots for each of the various specialties - I'm wondering if my odds would have been better just applying for the WDW panel since they're choosing more finalists for it - and presumably seating a much larger number of panelists in the end for it?

It would have been nice to know that information going into the application process.

I agree 100% I love RunDisney and applied for that panel, but could see after the finalists were announced that the vast majority of finalists were for WDW. So I don't think we should beat ourselves up over what we did or didn't do wrong. There obviously are fewer panelists needed for some of the specialties. Not to take away anything from the finalists - I think you're all amazing and will be such wonderful Moms Panel members. But I hope everyone on this board knows that you all have a great passion for Disney - and you prove it every day with your submissions to the DIS discussions and to your friends and family. So :grouphug: to everyone!

OMG! All these "flubber" posts have me laughing so hard! Just ice to know I'm it alone!! And maybe you are right...maybe we'll be pink flubbers soon...lol!!

I think everyone felt that way. :rotfl: I know I did!! So, we probably just cancel each other out. :laughing:

I didn't apply to a specialized panel, but my memory was of a dinner at 1900 Park Fare. I sat in front of my shimmery shower curtain (yes, I taped myself in the bathroom! :laughing:). I did put in a few clips of the memory, as well, but it was about half just me sitting on the edge of the tub. :lmao:

Great responses so far everyone...I hope to hear about even more videos and questions :).

I'll share a little about my journey. I found out about Round 2 the day before leaving on a business trip - so I knew it would be tough because I'd have to do everything in a hotel.

So, that's what I did. I had to improvise on the whole concept of a tripod, but the ironing board, phone books and a garbage can worked in a pinch! Then it was just me in front of a terrible pale wall that sort of turned me yellow...Ugh. I did include my finisher's photos from the 1/2 and full marathons as well. No music or anything else fancy.

I found it difficult to express everything I wanted in 60 seconds. I guess I talk more than I realized (Hmm....this post is getting kind of long now that I think about it ;)!)

My memory was about completing the Goofy Challenge in 2011 and the pride and sense of accomplishment that came from that finish. And yes, I thanked runDisney for helping me reach that goal.

I was just wondering if I would have been better off sharing something else magical that has happened over the many trips I've taken, but thought it would be best to stick with a memory for the panel I was applying for. Since I've completed 17 runDisney events, it was really tough to choose a favorite memory because every race is special in some way!

I think there is something about runners that makes them obsess over this stuff. I've been going over it my head so many times about what I could have done differently.

My video was about my first ever runDisney event (actually my first ever running event) and how empowering and life changing it was. It was a mix of me talking in my family room against a green wall and stills of the race and surrounding trip. I actually quite liked my video but I guess it wasn't what they wanted :confused3

I'm going with the theory that there were just so many qualified awesome applicants and very few spot. Congrats to those that made it through. I'll probably try again next year but for now I'll keep busy training for Goofy and Tink.

As you all wait for news, I have a question for all of you...Especially those of you that applied for the specialty panels. When you did your videos, did you use a park memory or did you gear your video to the specialty you were applying for. For example - if applying for runDisney, did you use a runDisney memory or did you focus on an actual park memory - something that actually happened in the parks versus something in a race. If you applied for DVC did you focus on a DVC memory or did you tell about something that happened at the Magic Kingdom for example.

Happy Saturday, everyone! Congratulations to all the finalists in finishing your interviews! :cheer2: You're all far too hard on yourselves - I'm sure you were great! I was very satisfied with my written answers, but I'm wondering about the videos as well. I pulled some footage together from my marathon trip, put in some commentary and music. I'm wondering if something simpler may have been the key. I was also thinking about not applying next year (it's such an emotional journey!), but I also love RunDisney and Disney in general and don't know if I'll be able to stay away from another try. We'll see in about ten months!
Laura

I think there is something about runners that makes them obsess over this stuff. I've been going over it my head so many times about what I could have done differently.

My video was about my first ever runDisney event (actually my first ever running event) and how empowering and life changing it was. It was a mix of me talking in my family room against a green wall and stills of the race and surrounding trip. I actually quite liked my video but I guess it wasn't what they wanted :confused3.

Hi Gals-
I can only say that my video was of my best Park memory- it happened to also be my first runDisney experience! :yay: I shot it with my flip camera in our guest room; I did show a photo of myself from 1964, but did not add music or additional video footage. I'm not sure there was a right or wrong style here!!

As for trying again next year, whether I advance or not, I'm sure I'll give it another go. :goodvibes In my 3 year experience on this thread, most folks come back for more!! True passion will do that to you. :banana:

Best WISHES pixiedust:

Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone luck moving on the The Panel!!

If you are all flubbers, remember that flubber won the games! I am sure you all did a great job. You all beat me and I am pretty great at Disney stuff. ;)

Best to all. I will be following until the final announcements -- then I will watch you on the Moms Panel!!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

As you all wait for news, I have a question for all of you...Especially those of you that applied for the specialty panels. When you did your videos, did you use a park memory or did you gear your video to the specialty you were applying for. For example - if applying for runDisney, did you use a runDisney memory or did you focus on an actual park memory - something that actually happened in the parks versus something in a race. If you applied for DVC did you focus on a DVC memory or did you tell about something that happened at the Magic Kingdom for example.

I hope some of you will be able to answer this question as I can't be the only one that is wondering about things like this.

When I first found out I didn't make it to Round 3 I wasn't sure if I would apply again next year, but I love runDisney and would love to be able to answer questions for folks. I know that I would have loved someone to answer my questions before my first couple of races :). Once I got over the disappointment, I started realizing that there's no way I can not apply next year!

To those of us that didn't move on to Round 3 - what is your answer to this question? Maybe we can all help each other make a plan for next year and see where it takes us!!!

Hi all...
Havent been on the boards much lately, but I've been trying to be a great host to family and friends...

I applied for the WDW panel, and my video was very simple. It was me on the waterwall at work waxing poetic about helping my brother plan his engagement at Cinderella's Royal Table. I took in on my Android phone as my camera decided not to be a willing participant!!! I'm not sure if that is why they chose me for round 3, or if my written answers was the reason...One can only presume.

If this is the end of my journey to Moms Panel, I would not hesitate to apply next year. It has been a great experience, and I would be happy to do it again.

I too have been thinking a lot about what I could have done differently with my answers and video. This was my first experience even uploading a video to a website. I had to have the Apple Care people help me! I applied for the DVC section and my video was just me in my kitchen talking about my first visit to WDW. That memory is so special to me and I hoped they would be able to see that. I did not mention DVC in my video as we were not members yet (I was an adult on my first visit). I think it is hard to know what the committee is looking for each year and I am sure it all depends on the serious competition you are up against. You guys have all given me the courage and desire to apply again next year. Thank you!!:flower3:

Okay Round 3 Superstars - yes, you're all SUPERSTARS!!! First off - congratulations on your interviews. I know a lot of you are saying you flubbed the interview, but I highly doubt that any of you did.

See, I've been sort of obsessing about why I did not make it to Round 3...Obviously I was up against some super tough competition as you all are amazing - this board just proves that - and that may be the reason I didn't move on, but I'm very curious.

I feel really confident in my written answers - those to me were relatively easy to answer and pretty straight forward, but the video was a real challenge for me. I've never done something like that and I think that's where I might have gone astray.

I hope some of you will be able to answer this question as I can't be the only one that is wondering about things like this.

When I first found out I didn't make it to Round 3 I wasn't sure if I would apply again next year, but I love runDisney and would love to be able to answer questions for folks. I know that I would have loved someone to answer my questions before my first couple of races :). Once I got over the disappointment, I started realizing that there's no way I can not apply next year!

To those of us that didn't move on to Round 3 - what is your answer to this question? Maybe we can all help each other make a plan for next year and see where it takes us!!!

I'm a bit late replying, so my apologies. I also applied for runDisney and did not advance to R3. My video had nothing to do with runDisney, so I'm not sure that it made a huge difference whether the video described the specialty category or not. If I remember correctly, the question was to describe your favorite Disney parks vacation memory. I talked about my first trip with my boys a bit more than two years ago. I wasn't a huge Disney person prior to the trip and I described how certain aspects of the trip "hooked" me and now have created lifelong memories (as we are now DVC members and have been there numerous times despite living in IL!).

I'm not sure we can second-guess for what they were looking. I knew I'd have an uphill battle as I've done only two runDisney events (but have done MANY races and the runDisney events I have done I feel very confident I covered many aspects of the races). All I know is that I felt confident I could do a great job on the panel, but since watching these boards, I'm also confident so could everyone here! There cleary is a very dedicated group who knows a lot of info!

I agree with others... we can't beat ourselves up. Here's to hoping all of us can someday make the panel! And to those still in R3, GOOD LUCK!

Sorry if this was asked already but I didn't see it.

Can you please share what questions were asked on the telephone interviews? Were all the questions general or did they also ask specific information re: your applied speciality?

Thanks!:goodvibes

Count me in as another obsessed runDisney applicant lol. I have been going over and over my answers and video wondering what I would do differently. I have done more than a dozen runDisney events since 2006 including pretty much every distance they have offered so I think I have sufficient experience and I felt my answers were strong. I am not, however, sure that my video was what I, or they, wanted. I initially wanted to use a runDisney memory but went with a general Disney parks memory instead. Not sure exactly what I would change but I am sure I'd change something since I didn't make it to R3 :rotfl:

I know that I'll apply again next year but not sure whether I'll apply again for a specialty or will go with WDW. I truly love runDisney events and would love to answer those questions but with so few specialty panelists I am not sure it is my best choice. Guess I have plenty of time to decide :)

I too would love to know about the questions they asked in the phone interviews. I don't know if they requested that the finalists not share the questions but if they didn't I know we'd love to hear about them!

Count me in as another obsessed runDisney applicant lol. I have been going over and over my answers and video wondering what I would do differently. I have done more than a dozen runDisney events since 2006 including pretty much every distance they have offered so I think I have sufficient experience and I felt my answers were strong. I am not, however, sure that my video was what I, or they, wanted. I initially wanted to use a runDisney memory but went with a general Disney parks memory instead. Not sure exactly what I would change but I am sure I'd change something since I didn't make it to R3 :rotfl:

I know that I'll apply again next year but not sure whether I'll apply again for a specialty or will go with WDW. I truly love runDisney events and would love to answer those questions but with so few specialty panelists I am not sure it is my best choice. Guess I have plenty of time to decide :)

Same here! I wondered how much detail they had behind the scenes of each applicant. For example, one of the questions was "in how many RunDisney races have you participated". The "RunDisney" brand is fairly new (so I clarified), but there were a couple of events for which I'd signed up for but wasn't able to attend due to work commitments. So to me, I didn't participate (but perhaps signing up is participating??), so maybe my numbers didn't tally. Anyway, one could drive oneself crazy trying to figure it all out. I know we all did really well and let the passion shine through and it would be impossible to choose us all. Though perhaps Disney could have a really REALLY big panel next year! :rotfl2:

To all of the finalists, I'm sending :cheer2: and :grouphug: and loads of :tink: Can't wait to hear the good news this week!

Laura

Same here! I wondered how much detail they had behind the scenes of each applicant. For example, one of the questions was "in how many RunDisney races have you participated". The "RunDisney" brand is fairly new (so I clarified), but there were a couple of events for which I'd signed up for but wasn't able to attend due to work commitments. So to me, I didn't participate (but perhaps signing up is participating??), so maybe my numbers didn't tally. Anyway, one could drive oneself crazy trying to figure it all out. I know we all did really well and let the passion shine through and it would be impossible to choose us all. Though perhaps Disney could have a really REALLY big panel next year! :rotfl2:

To all of the finalists, I'm sending :cheer2: and :grouphug: and loads of :tink: Can't wait to hear the good news this week!

Laura

Exactly, I had the same dilemma - tally of all the Disney races since before runDisney existed? Include other races on Disney property like Danskin triathlons and the one-off almost-Olympic-distance Disney triathlon? What about Ironkids volunteering? Made my head spin!

pooh_hug.gif

Here is a hug for all of you while you wait!

pooh_hug.gif

Thank you so much, Kim! One big hug back to you for being such a supercalafragalistic etc. etc. (I don't think I can begin to spell the whole word!! :goodvibes leader! And big :grouphug: for everyone - such an amazing group!!! I'm so glad I found you all! :yay:

pooh_hug.gif

Thank you so much!! You have been so great keeping up these threads year after year and it wouldn't just be same without you here!!

Even after my interview, I am still doing the would, should, coulda game. I have no idea what they were looking for, but this year I just tried to show my love of disney, my wanting to help, and was just being myself. I don't think they want us to know questions in advance because your response might sound a little more tailored to what you think they want to hear instead of just answering the way you normally would. I have obsessed year after year about the what if's, but this year I just had to wish, hope and be myself! Good Luck to everyone patiently waiting!!

I was a runDisney applicant, as well. My family thought I should focus on my Disney running experience. I went with something I felt strongly about, a park experience. My video was me, sitting on a chair in the corner near a window. Nothing fancy by any means. My daughter taped me and was getting mad, I had so many retakes. She knew what I wanted to say, better than I did. I felt the runDisney questions were easier for me to answer, than another panel. So of course, I thought that was a positive. I responded to the R2 question, in the same manner as the first round. I thought I knew the magic format, guess not.

I love all the responses so far everyone. It just goes to show that there is no magic formula we could have used to advance. I think it just comes down to who showed the most Disney passion!

I agree that the runDisney wording was a bit confusing since I've been doing races since before the runDisney branding was around, but I counted all my Disney races in my answers because they were all Disney :).

To all the R3 folks - good luck and Pixie Dust. Time is ticking down and you'll all know something soon - try to stay positive and stay busy!!!

Oh I am having such a time waiting!! I'm plenty occupied but my stomach will just fill with butterflies every now and again and it just is driving me crazy...I even think I blew the phone interview!! Ahhh!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter