Minnie Vans "Uber" like transport begins soon!

Somewhere I saw the vans would be equipped with two Graco car seats. It didn't provide specific information about whether those would be infant, convertible or booster or some combination.

I'm curious for families with young children how this would work. We have three kids, one of whom is a very tall 7 year old but still requires a car seat. It doesn't look like this would be an option for us. Uber isn't an option either due to the car seat situation. Perhaps if Disney could do more on the car seat front they could get more folks using this.
I understand that you may want to put your child in a car seat, but your 7 year old doesn't require a car seat or a booster seat by Florida state law. It's still worth giving Disney your feedback. Maybe they will add another booster seat or two to try to accommodate bigger families.

I just watched the video, which had me thinking. Our older daughter just needs a booster and one that we've used in the past is this blow up bubble booster. That booster would be easy to take to the parks and just store in a stroller. I wonder if they would let her use that and our twins their Graco car seats.

If so, we would definitely use this to get to pre-opening ADRs at AK or HS. We usually stay at Poly.
I don't see why they wouldn't let you use your own booster :).

I understand that you may want to put your child in a car seat, but your 7 year old doesn't require a car seat or a booster seat by Florida state law. It's still worth giving Disney your feedback. Maybe they will add another booster seat or two to try to accommodate bigger families.

I don't see why they wouldn't let you use your own booster :).

I didn't know about her not needing a car seat under FL law. Where I live, she's required to be in one until 8, regardless of height.

Everything I've seen about the Minnie Vans talks about traveling within WDW property. Will they go to WBC? It's within the gates. It would make that resort more appealing to us. Which is why Disney may not go there.

I was wondering about that also.
The WBC property is surrounded by Disney property, though not owned by Disney.
Disney could never get the owner to sell to them.

Disney will NOT pickup/drop off THERE,
or @ ANY of the other hotels on that NON-
Disney parcel of land.

They have stated it as ON Disney property ONLY.
WBC doesn't sit on Disney property.

I didn't know about her not needing a car seat under FL law. Where I live, she's required to be in one until 8, regardless of height.
They just changed the law a few years ago. You used to be able to simply buckle in 4 and 5 year olds but they increased the minimum age to be without a car seat or booster to 6.

Somewhere I saw the vans would be equipped with two Graco car seats. It didn't provide specific information about whether those would be infant, convertible or booster or some combination.

I'm curious for families with young children how this would work. We have three kids, one of whom is a very tall 7 year old but still requires a car seat. It doesn't look like this would be an option for us. Uber isn't an option either due to the car seat situation. Perhaps if Disney could do more on the car seat front they could get more folks using this.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/review-video-disneys-minnie-van-uber-like-service/

Thanks for the clarification. I just started reading this thread.

this won't work for my family. uber normally costs us $5 to $10 so we will stick with them. we will definitely try it once just to get a feel and say we rode in a minnie car.

Well ................. as an owner of minivans for almost 30 years, and now the owner of an Equinox, the Traverse's baby sister ..... I think most SUVs no longer look like SUVs and Minivans are slowly dying off from production. I don't think Chevrolet even makes minivans anymore. What they are creating is a hybrid of the two, which the Traverse is. My vehicle has front and back seats but no third row like mini vans do, so I joked I no longer have a Mom-Car. The Traverse has a third seat and all the feels of a minivan inside, Mom-car. It is today's modern minivan. Traverse is the Chevy mini van.

Well, you are right that most SUVs today are really crossovers, with little to no off-road capability, but they are fairly popular, while minivans have been going out of favor. Still, minivans do exist and Toyota, Honda and Chrysler still compete in the category; GM never really did, unlike in the SUV and Crossover markets where they have been very competitive.

Putting aside the original nitpick, I do wonder why Disney did not actually use a minivan (probably the financial incentive to use GM was too great) since it would have have provided their fleet with better mileage, the vans would have had better access to the 3rd row and likely more legroom, and there would still have been more room for car seats, strollers, and any things a family might need.

I was wondering about that also.
The WBC property is surrounded by Disney property, though not owned by Disney.
Disney could never get the owner to sell to them.

Disney will NOT pickup/drop off THERE,
or @ ANY of the other hotels on that NON-
Disney parcel of land.

They have stated it as ON Disney property ONLY.
WBC doesn't sit on Disney property.

Here is an old post that goes into the interesting story behind the bonnet creek parcel of land, its "mysterious" ownership, and its development:
http://www.yesterland.com/bonnet.html

Florida car seat laws are very lax...you only needed them to age 4 about 2 years ago.

And a Minnie van will nevr be pulled over on wdw property...so there's that too

Well, you are right that most SUVs today are really crossovers, with little to no off-road capability, but they are fairly popular, while minivans have been going out of favor. Still, minivans do exist and Toyota, Honda and Chrysler still compete in the category; GM never really did, unlike in the SUV and Crossover markets where they have been very competitive.

Putting aside the original nitpick, I do wonder why Disney did not actually use a minivan (probably the financial incentive to use GM was too great) since it would have have provided their fleet with better mileage, the vans would have had better access to the 3rd row and likely more legroom, and there would still have been more room for car seats, strollers, and any things a family might need.

They have a partnership with Chevrolet so I don't think they would ever consider a competitor.

I don't agree with you on the Traverse style, it's much easier to get around in than any minivans I owned or rode in, has lots of leg room and same storage in the back. On the passenger side you hit one handle and the seat completely slides up making very easy in to the third seat. I think this was a great choice.

I would not pay $20 for short trips where I could easily use Uber or Lyft.

Where I would possibly be willing to pay $20 is if I wanted to avoid waiting for a bus to get to certain parks. If I were running behind and knew I wanted to make RD at MK, I could see myself paying $20 to get to MK much quicker than rolling the dice with the bus. Looks like the Minnie Vans are going to have their own drop off spot at MK in the bus area. This might make it worth it to me at least once.

I would not pay $20 for short trips where I could easily use Uber or Lyft.

Where I would possibly be willing to pay $20 is if I wanted to avoid waiting for a bus to get to certain parks. If I were running behind and knew I wanted to make RD at MK, I could see myself paying $20 to get to MK much quicker than rolling the dice with the bus. Looks like the Minnie Vans are going to have their own drop off spot at MK in the bus area. This might make it worth it to me at least once.
It would certainly make it worthwhile at the Magic Kingdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter