Milwaukee Marathon (1 mile, 5k, 10k, HM or M) DIS Meet Race - Oct 14th and 15th 2017

I almost forgot, don't you live in Wisconsin too @sammykster ! How does your schedule for MRF look? And Veronica from strava too. Don't know if you know her personally.

OK, so I'm still alive but haven't been on here for several weeks - post-Dopey blues. Significant post-Dopey blues. Ran a winter run series 5K last month and since mateojr was sick, I ran solo. I was super excited to get second place in my age group, and thought that would lift the post-Dopey blues, but no dice. :(

So I'm glad I checked in, because I love this idea and many of these races are on either on my calendar or on my radar! Of the races @DopeyBadger mentioned, I'd vote for MKE running festival. I ran the Brewers half last year and am not a fan. I do love the availability of restrooms, the parking and the easy post-race reunion with spectators. I also really like the Brewers shirt from last year - I would wear it to a game! But the course includes long stretches of not-so-exciting areas with absolutely no enthusiasm. Even Miller Valley was super dead until the water stop at the end. Also, the 5K and half runners started together, leading to lots of course congestion at the start. :( I've crossed this one off my list for the future, even though it's close and convenient.

Love love love the Milwaukee Running Festival!! 2015 course was awesome and 2016 course was just OK. But I've seen the 2017 and if our oldest son's college auditions don't conflict I'm definitely running the half. So I'd love to be a part of any meet that we can organize for that.

Now, back to post-Dopey sadness. :(

Hooray! @pixarmom! :grouphug:

Was waiting to hear from you as the last piece to the puzzle. I would say that everyone should go ahead and write the Milwaukee Running Festival on October 15, 2017 as the official race we'll plan on doing. The next price increase is not until 3/31 so everyone has time to put their plans together. I will let everyone know when I register (should be within the next few weeks).

Also, I noticed two other Wisconsinites from the Princess thread who might be interested in a DIS meet-up local race. @WIFriendofFigment and @WiscRunner

Lots of great distance options: http://www.milwaukeerunningfestival.com

Hooray! @pixarmom! :grouphug:

Was waiting to hear from you as the last piece to the puzzle. I would say that everyone should go ahead and write the Milwaukee Running Festival on October 15, 2017 as the official race we'll plan on doing. The next price increase is not until 3/31 so everyone has time to put their plans together. I will let everyone know when I register (should be within the next few weeks).

Also, I noticed two other Wisconsinites from the Princess thread who might be interested in a DIS meet-up local race. @WIFriendofFigment and @WiscRunner

Lots of great distance options: http://www.milwaukeerunningfestival.com
Sounds great! I just have to decide which distance to go with.

In case anyone is interested in running their first marathon at the MRF, I just received this email:

Are you training for your first marathon?

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is looking for several first-time runners to follow in order to share what it’s like to face the challenge of a big race! Journal Sentinel reporter Lori Nickel will be following these runners for six months as they train for the third annual PNC Milwaukee Running Festival Marathon on October 15, 2017.

The goal of this project is to chronicle the runners’ self-discoveries, challenges and triumphs. This is not a contest or a competition! The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel will ask our group of runners to share their stories in print and through blog posts, in videos and social media. In return, we hope to inspire others -- and build an audience that will be rooting for them every step of the way.

Interested?

Please email lori.nickel@jrn.com to apply and include the following:

Name, Age, Town, Phone Number/Email Address, Occupation, Running club (if applicable), & Why You are Running!

If we choose to follow your first marathon journey, you will receive a complimentary registration to the PNC Milwaukee Running Festival Marathon (or refund on your current entry) and a $100 gift card to help you put your best foot forward.

In case anyone is interested in running their first marathon at the MRF, I just received this email:

Are you training for your first marathon?

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is looking for several first-time runners to follow in order to share what it’s like to face the challenge of a big race! Journal Sentinel reporter Lori Nickel will be following these runners for six months as they train for the third annual PNC Milwaukee Running Festival Marathon on October 15, 2017.

The goal of this project is to chronicle the runners’ self-discoveries, challenges and triumphs. This is not a contest or a competition! The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel will ask our group of runners to share their stories in print and through blog posts, in videos and social media. In return, we hope to inspire others -- and build an audience that will be rooting for them every step of the way.

Interested?

Please email lori.nickel@jrn.com to apply and include the following:

Name, Age, Town, Phone Number/Email Address, Occupation, Running club (if applicable), & Why You are Running!

If we choose to follow your first marathon journey, you will receive a complimentary registration to the PNC Milwaukee Running Festival Marathon (or refund on your current entry) and a $100 gift card to help you put your best foot forward.
I wish Disney would do that.

Thanks @DopeyBadger for alerting me of this thread. I doubt I'll be able to swing the MRF as my husband just asked me if I was keeping to a race budget. Things could change though.

I did manage to sign up for the half at the Madison Marathon in November. Anyone have any experience with this race?

Thanks @DopeyBadger for alerting me of this thread. I doubt I'll be able to swing the MRF as my husband just asked me if I was keeping to a race budget. Things could change though.

I did manage to sign up for the half at the Madison Marathon in November. Anyone have any experience with this race?

No problem! Hope you can join us!

I've done the full marathon in 2014. I believe if they keep the course the same the HM does the back half of the marathon. If this is still true (and it heads north of Madison), then my advice is to make sure to incorporate a lot of hills into your normal training runs. Not necessarily hill speed work, but moreso the daily runs and long runs just need to have a lot of good elevation to them. I was surprised at the amount of hills in Madison once I actually started running the streets. Otherwise, I felt like it was a nice race. Typically good weather and nice course support. Save just a little bit of energy for the last Capital hill, but the people lining State Street help with the needed pick-me-up.

I don't know how I missed this! My parents live just outside of Milwaukee, so I would definitely be down for the MRF!

Anyone else doing the BIG10k in Chicago in July? My husband and I have been talking about showing off our Badger pride for years, but this year, I actually want to do it!

This one is on my tentative scheduled. But I have not officially chosen an allegiance yet. I did not go to a 10k school. TBD

No problem! Hope you can join us!

I've done the full marathon in 2014. I believe if they keep the course the same the HM does the back half of the marathon. If this is still true (and it heads north of Madison), then my advice is to make sure to incorporate a lot of hills into your normal training runs. Not necessarily hill speed work, but moreso the daily runs and long runs just need to have a lot of good elevation to them. I was surprised at the amount of hills in Madison once I actually started running the streets. Otherwise, I felt like it was a nice race. Typically good weather and nice course support. Save just a little bit of energy for the last Capital hill, but the people lining State Street help with the needed pick-me-up.

Thanks for the warning. I've heard that it's hilly but I'm never really sure of others hill tolerance. I just checked the elevation climb and it's about twice my most recent half marathons. However, my yearly 7 mi race has roughly the same climb so I might incorporate that route into my training.

The Badgers have this thing called Paul Bunyons axe which those gophers can only dream about because they haven't been able to hold it in about 15 years. I'd take the one with the axe ;)

There are young Gopher fans who are entering middle school who haven't been alive to see a Gopher hold the axe. And although I'm getting my Masters from UMN - Once a Badger, Always a Badger.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 6
Ooooohhh Surfde22 coming in with the sentimental stuff! It's hard to top animated dancing badgers...but this is a good start!

The Badgers have this thing called Paul Bunyons axe which those gophers can only dream about because they haven't been able to hold it in about 15 years. I'd take the one with the axe ;)

But Paul Bunyon is from Minnesota. You're just borrowing the axe. I mean someone has to be his pack mule.

The Gophers/Badgers feud means nothing to me. I just was looking to fuel the fire. If I ran this race it would be as a Terps fan, good thing I already have the Maryland flag headband for it.

Double Badger here, but our middle son wants to go to Minnesota! Hmm. When @roxymama mentioned the Big10K, I immediately contacted extended family to see if we could all gather in Chicago for it - we have Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State and Northwestern represented! But that weekend is a mess - turns out we have to be in four different places at once that weekend, including a family wedding that's in the opposite direction of Chicago - so it's not to be this year. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter