Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

Tiggerdad and Bama Ed- check in as soon as you can- continuing prayers for Florida and surrounding areas. Doesn't seem possible that here in Minnesota we have a perfect early fall day- yet just a couple days away there is such devastation

Wow PaHunter ... who ever put this together has already missed the mark by a whole bunch. Miami-Dade county currently has 75% of it's customer out of power.

Tiggerdad and Bama Ed- check in as soon as you can- continuing prayers for Florida and surrounding areas. Doesn't seem possible that here in Minnesota we have a perfect early fall day- yet just a couple days away there is such devastation

I'm with serenitygr, sunny beautiful day near Chicago and feeling guilty about enjoying it. Bama Ed, Tiggerdad and everyone else near there, please post when possible so we know all are OK.

Been away for a few hours. Watching all the broadcast of the hurricane was getting depressing. I did how ever have it on the satellite radio in the car. Just before we left they said Brevard county had a tornado. That is the part of Florida we use to live in, and a lot of our favorite restaurants are there.

Still praying for everyone in Fl. and in the path of Irma.

We took the dogs to the park for a walk. Concerned there will be no walk for a few days. Lots of people in the park so lots of pets for them. Winds are kicking up and so is the cloud cover. I plan to work from home tomorrow just to make sure the dogs are ok. I got my long run in today. I have an easy run tomorrow which will probably be on the treadmill. Tuesday may be a bigger issue still expecting rain but kind of expecting power outage so no treadmill. Stay safe.

The wind intensity should drop by the time it makes it up here to me in Alabama. The worst weather conditions in the forecast are for 19mph winds with gusts up to 39mph and 3 inches of rain on Monday night (tomorrow) into Tuesday morning.

Bama Ed

That's good Ed. They are still saying gusts to 55 and 5 to 7 inches of rain. Of course it could change again.

FYI... We drove back home yesterday, avoiding I-75. 19 is four-landed all the way, and the traffic was minimal. However, we had a terrible time finding gas until we were north of I-10.

Glad you had safe travels. I can only imagine what I75 was like.

We're gonna be good here in meridian. They really aren't giving us much as it should be northeast of us. Probably some wind in the 20's maybe, but otherwise good.

Watching TWC. Mike Bettes is in Naples, FL and about an hour ago he was being blown all over the place and you couldn't hear a word he was saying. Then, when the eyewall passed and he was in the eye it was calm, no wind, and the sun was shining. It was weird.

Now Jim Cantore is in Ft. Myers getting smacked around.

Looks like Orlando will be facing their portion of it after dark.

That's good Ed. They are still saying gusts to 55 and 5 to 7 inches of rain. Of course it could change again.

Kris, you folks in Atlanta are going to get more wind and rain than I will since you will be on the north-east quarter of the rotation as it moves up into south Georgia and east central Alabama. As I said I'll be on the "good" side which is on the west-south quarter as it moves up

Orlando is going to get their share of it tonight as Michael said. I hope our poster amcc (Allie and DH and boys) came through it okay on the Miami side of Florida. Our folks along the Tampa-Orlando corridor are getting the strong bands now. I hope you are all safe.

Bama Ed

PS - just to be on the safe side, our local schools are closed tomorrow and they'll make a later call on Tuesday's classes.

Last edited:
Wind is picking up here in Atlanta. School has been cancelled for the next two days. Pine trees are definitely swaying

No problem Teamubr ... I think the most important link will be the power outage link. It's absolutely amazing that 75% of the power is out in Miami-Dade county currently and it will only get worse as the storm moves up the state. Like I said earlier, we were out of power for nearly 2 weeks post 1995 Hurricane Opal. Gulf Power is our provider and they had armies of "other" power companies helping to restore power in the Florida panhandle. Fortunately, there were two gas stations very near our hospital and the power company got power to that area very quickly. I was able to get gas there for my 5.5kw generator and continue to feed it about 5 gallons per day.

We now have a natural gas whole house generator :yay:
We were in a Class C motorhome in FW 200 loop for Opal - how naive were we not even being worried about our safety but lucky there was no disruption in any services for us.

From WDW site...

September 11, 2017
Walt Disney World Parks and Disney Springs remain closed today. We are beginning an initial assessment of our property. While we experienced high winds and rain, we maintained power throughout the storm.

As the hurricane continues to pass, we are keeping safety top of mind and working closely with public officials to determine when conditions are clear to make further operational decisions. We will communicate updates as we have more information to share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter