memory maker- price went up, $185. Do we really need this?

GroguAndStitch

Mouseketeer
I didnt' buy memory maker last week, and now its up to $185. If we did NOT buy memory maker, can we still see the ride photos in the app and purchase them individually if we wanted? Can photopass photographers take your pics and you only download them if you want?

Royal Carribean cruise line is like that. They'll take a lot of pics and you can decide if you want to own them. Just wondering if we bought 1-2 pics vs. the big package. I dont know that we will constantly want to stop for our photos being taken as a family and for almost $200 this just seems silly. I just want like a few pics with my kids in front of the castle to be honest!

Yes, you’ll still see your photos (with watermarks) and can pay individually for the ones you want. The photographers will be happy to take them whenever you stop.

You can even ask the photographer to take family photos with your camera. If you are really lucky, some nice guests will offer to take a fami!y photo for you with your phone or camera. We have had that happen in the past. I've only paid for memory maker 2 times. I won't even consider it now. I take the photos I want and they usually don't have hundreds of strangers in the background. Last couple of trips I didn't buy any of the photos that linked to my account.

Personally we do not find it worth the cost. If there is a picture that grabs us I pay for it individually but even that doesn't happen too often.

That being said, there is no one right answer. Only you know the value you put on pictures of your trip. Budget and frequency of trips also play into the decision.

For us I love the casual pics I snap with my phone of our experiences more than a number if formal, posed pics but, that’s me. Others feel that’s it’s 100% worth it for them.

Last edited:
I think the value is if you take advantage of all the photo opportunities. If you just want one or two ride phots it’s not worth it. But if you are going to stop for all the photo opportunities and look for photographers then I think it’s worth it. We usually come home with over a 100 photos. We have used them for our Christmas cards, have some displayed, and have given some as gifts to the grandparents. We also like looking through them to relive trips and have several scrap books of photos. We did not had good luck with the quality of photos when we have them use our phone, we tried that one trip.

If you are interested in doing photos in the studio areas (MK and DS), then it's worth the price. I think its crazy that they increased it so much, but the Photopass opportunities are an important part of my trip. I do hang the photos in the house and I use them in photobooks. Having the memory maker also takes the stress off us with carrying the large camera.

We purchased it our first couple of trips back in 2010, 2011 and I'm happy about that as they were our very first visits and I love seeing the kids in those photos when they were young. See my user photo to the left. I think that was Photopass 2011 in HS in front of the huge sorcerer hat. Perhaps my favorite family photo of all time.

I think it was around $99 back then if you preordered.

However Photopass (now Memory Maker) has seriously outpaced inflation. Due to inflation that $99 is about $140 today, not $185.

Personally I would still go to the CM's to get the photos, but only purchase individually if you find one or two you really like. We used it heavily our first few visits but really only had a handful that we would really want to keep.

Camera phones have gotten so good now that the photo quality you get from them can be excellent, and as others have said the CM will take a photo with your camera. (I always have them use their camera first, then ask them use our phone)

We purchased it on one trip that was an extended family visit. Of course, we also split the cost three ways. It was fun to get all the special photopass pictures with characters inserted or other special effects. However, I will probably not pay for it again. At lease, not if we aren't splitting cost with other family members.

IMO it is not worth the cost. Back when we had annual passes it seemed like there were many more PhotoPass photographers around the parks. Our recent trip I seemed to not notice as many as a few years ago. But that could also be because I wasn't looking for them.

For me, it's a math problem: Each photo download is $16.95. If you think you'll end up wanting more than 10 photos (186.45) you're better off buying Advance purchase Memory Maker ($185). If you want to wait and see, not-purchased-in-advance Memory Maker is $210, or the equivalent of 13 photos ($220.35).

Of course, you can take all the photos you want then decide when you get home (for slightly more money than purchasing in advance). Remember that ride photos are included on days you buy Disney Genie+. :)

We went to Disney a couple of years ago with friends who purchased Memory Maker. You get several photos at each location which seemed unnecessary to us. I doubt anyone really needs/wants 5 poses at each photo station. We would never recommend buying that option again. They had trouble downloading the files when we get back home and I had to assist them. Photos are a random jumble of oddly named files and it takes a good bit of time to arrange them in some sort of logical manner. You can send the ones you really like to any of those online photo printing websites or even your local drugstore. Just hand your camera/phone to any Disney person you see and then you can all be in the picture together.

For me, it's a math problem: Each photo download is $16.95. If you think you'll end up wanting more than 10 photos (186.45) you're better off buying Advance purchase Memory Maker ($185). If you want to wait and see, not-purchased-in-advance Memory Maker is $210, or the equivalent of 13 photos ($220.35).

Of course, you can take all the photos you want then decide when you get home (for slightly more money than purchasing in advance). Remember that ride photos are included on days you buy Disney Genie+. :)
Very true. I did not know if you get genie + you get ride photos!? Then I am 1000% not buying memory maker.

The Memory Maker is an awesome deal under certain conditions! The magical photos with special effects are lots of fun and you certainly don’t get those with your own camera. There always seemed to be lots of photographers.

The more park days you do, the better the deal. The more people and rides they like to ride, the better the deal. If you can get everyone in your group to commit to using the package with enthusiasm, it can be the best souvenir money you spend.

If you have a group that splits up from time to time, you could offer a prize for the most, or best picture(s). The ride photos are fun and many enjoy striking silly poses if they know where the camera is located. We have some real treasures thanks to our shameless hams!

We always made it our policy to not stop for photos if there were more than 3 or 4 groups waiting and still managed to get lots of photos. Getting photos done should be quick and fun and not eat up your day, right?

If no-one wants to stop for photos, or complains when they do, obviously it’s not going to be work it. Enjoy the parks and save your money.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/photopass/products

One day memory makers are $75 which can be a good option if you pick a day to do a lot of photos (such as your MK day). The nice thing is, you can decide after the fact if you want to purchase it. I find photos can be a hit or miss...sometimes we get really great pictures from PhotoPass and sometimes not. I do find they tend to be better quality than phone pictures especially at night, but it totally tends on the CM (and your phone). CMs are usually fine taking pictures with your phone (and will typically take some with their camera as well) and guests will also almost always be willing to take photos, many will even offer. I travel solo a lot and I swear I get asked to take photos 10x a day, which I am always happy to do, and usually people offer to take a photo for me in return! :flower1:

I will say, some of the photopass photos are really worth it when you get a good CM. They will have you do funny poses that you'd probably never do on your own. We have a lot of silly pictures we'd never have otherwise since we are very much awkward posed smile for the camera people!

We got it for free for a few years as AP holders. More recently, we got some of the photos for buying G+.

Some I downloaded, some I forgot about and we lost them. Of the ones I downloaded, we tend to look at them only once while waiting in line for another attraction.

A very few I made into coffee mugs or some other small trinket. Usually though, if I am thinking of making a photo keepsake, I use one of the photos we took. The photos we take are less generic.

[The WDW photos we most look at are ones no WDW photographer would ever take. We use them to play, "Where in WDW?" They are obscure objects light fixtures, wallpaper, and small bric-a-brac most people don't notice.]

Other than ride photos, we don't tend to accrue many WDW photographer photos.

IMO, it would probably only be worthwhile for a big extended family trip, or if we planned to collect tons of character photos, like as part of a Halloween party or special event.

Agree with some who say it's worth it for special family trips or special events or the OIAL trip. We've done that over the years and have some photos that are priceless (can't even tell you what we paid for MM at the time!!). But for more 'normal' trips when we're there strolling the parks, enjoying the attractions, festivals, and pools - not necessary for us.

If you don't buy MM, can you get a picture taken, scan your band, and then decide if you want to buy it later? I might want a photo or two but I don't feel like the cost increase is something I can absorb, given everything else going up.

If you don't buy MM, can you get a picture taken, scan your band, and then decide if you want to buy it later? I might want a photo or two but I don't feel like the cost increase is something I can absorb, given everything else going up.
Yes. You can also buy items like mugs with the photos. I recall feeling that the cost of an ornament/mug was maybe a better option than a print, given the price of an individual print, but I don't recall pricing for individual prints or mugs, etc.

If you have MDE they should automatically show up in your account when you check the photos folder. They should show up inside of 24 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter