MDE merging or linking child/teen's profile with new account or have them use my account?

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
Hello All! We are approaching what will be my family's 10th Disney trip over 14 years and my kids are definitely old enough to have their own MDE accounts to use on their own devices. I have always been the planner and fastpass or lightning lane finder for the four of us. My boys are 15 and 19 and it would be a relief for them to take on some of the LL+ searches through the day. Here is my question: they have had MDE profiles that I plan for/control for many years and we have tickets and reservations linked to these profiles for our Christmas trip. How do I get them their own accounts and merge it with the profile I have linked to my account? Does this require calling a cast member over the phone? I don't want to mess anything up. Another thought I had was should they just log in to my own MDE account while were are there and look for LL+ passes or does that create issues? Thank you all in advance!

If you want them to have their own accounts, have them each create one then call the MDE hotline and ask them to merge their accounts. Or like you said, you could have them log into your MDE account on their phones. We have a high school junior and a college freshmen and the second option is what we're planning to do for now. Once they get a little older and start traveling there on their own without us, then we'll figure out the whole merging account thing.

Hello All! We are approaching what will be my family's 10th Disney trip over 14 years and my kids are definitely old enough to have their own MDE accounts to use on their own devices. I have always been the planner and fastpass or lightning lane finder for the four of us. My boys are 15 and 19 and it would be a relief for them to take on some of the LL+ searches through the day. Here is my question: they have had MDE profiles that I plan for/control for many years and we have tickets and reservations linked to these profiles for our Christmas trip. How do I get them their own accounts and merge it with the profile I have linked to my account? Does this require calling a cast member over the phone? I don't want to mess anything up. Another thought I had was should they just log in to my own MDE account while were are there and look for LL+ passes or does that create issues? Thank you all in advance!
Have them create their own MDE accounts first. Once they've done that, modify the profile you currently manage and select the option to "share" plans with them. You would need to enter the email address they used to create their MDE accounts. Once they accept the invite, the manage profile you had will change to a connected friend. Any MagicBands and cards will transfer over to their account for them to manage.

You can also use the "Linking Code" in the MDE mobile app. After they've created their own MDE accounts, you would select their profile from your Family & Friends list in the app and then select "Scan Linking Code". Your kids would need to select the menu icon (3 bars), My Profile and then "Show my Linking Code" in the mobile app.

Using the Linking Code is probably the quickest method.

Have them create their own MDE accounts first. Once they've done that, modify the profile you currently manage and select the option to "share" plans with them. You would need to enter the email address they used to create their MDE accounts. Once they accept the invite, the manage profile you had will change to a connected friend. Any MagicBands and cards will transfer over to their account for them to manage.

You can also use the "Linking Code" in the MDE mobile app. After they've created their own MDE accounts, you would select their profile from your Family & Friends list in the app and then select "Scan Linking Code". Your kids would need to select the menu icon (3 bars), My Profile and then "Show my Linking Code" in the mobile app.

Using the Linking Code is probably the quickest method.
I've done this before and it created duplicate profiles, so I ended up having to call the MDE hotline.

I've done it many times with zero issues.
Even when going from children who weren't eligible to have their own accounts to older kids who can have them? And/or when plans are already in place that include them?

My girls and DH are logged in to my MDE on their phones. It works just fine. I'd probably just do that, OP, especially since the trip is so close. No need in potentially messing things up now and there's not any advantage to them having their own.

In January when we brought a daughter's boyfriend with, he got his own MDE and I followed the instructions in this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/my-disney-experience-account-question.3881763/#post-63977342

I mainly had him get his own for mobile ordering as he was buying his own food. This January we are travelling with him again (and other DD's fiancee) but we have the dining gift card promo so I haven't asked the other one to make an MDE of his own. I am not sure if I need to.

My girls and DH are logged in to my MDE on their phones. It works just fine. I'd probably just do that, OP, especially since the trip is so close. No need in potentially messing things up now and there's not any advantage to them having their own.
My thoughts exactly.

Ticketing can be trickier when they have their own. I just tried to renew all of our annual passes but I had to do my husband and son’s separately on their own accounts it wouldn’t let me do the whole family through mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter