• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 2, 2014 - A WONDERous trip through the Locks WBPC

I kinda thought a TA would be a cruise... How does one go on a transatlantic ship ride and not call it a cruise? :confused3

Haha, I know what you mean. Cunard have a funny thing about calling the Transatlantics 'crossings' and the QM2 is the only proper ocean liner just now, built to go through rough seas etc. Maybe I have just got into their thinking.:rotfl2: I wrote it without realising. In this case though I think it was a case of the Transatlantic going home as a kind of way to get home rather than a cruise which is more a vacation:confused3. Occasionally it can be almost as cheap as a flight ticket, particularly if a one way ticket, and you get 6 days of food and activities etc. Plus the jet lag isn't as bad when you do get home.

Someone was asking earlier if anyone was cruising before this one. We are sailing in the Fantasy in 11 days!!

No particular reason. We decided to cruise rather than use DVC points on land.

Should be fun!

Howdy, strangers! Been a while! Just glanced over the past few pages...definitely need to get all caught up properly.

Few quickies:

I sailed the the 9/8 Dream 4-night followed by the 9/14 Fantasy Western. Of course I never miss an opportunity to book more OBB offers. I did a quicky placeholder while on the Dream but DH & I sat and reshopped to see if there was any additional percentage off for this WBPC. There's no longer any additional percentage off beyond the usual 10%. We originally booked using an older placeholder on the 1st day that CC Silvers could book. The price for our same stateroom has actually gone up by like $800. Needless to say, we were happy with the price we got and went forward with a 2-stateroom placeholder booking. :thumbsup2

More voyages before the PC. We're sailing on the Allure of the Seas for Thanksgiving week with the inlaws. Not a cruise we were super excited to book but the inlaws will never sail Disney. I didn't want my hubby to miss an opportunity to cruise with his folks. So we're booked and we're going. Both our teenage sons have asked us to cancel and find a Disney cruise instead. The oldest even said he'd rather stay home and go to work. Gotta get their heads in the right place. It's not about which cruise line and it's not about us. It's about the time with family. That time just happens to be on a non-Disney boat. We're all very leary of the size of that massive ship. Size is what makes us all prefer the classic ships over the new ones. It's hard to wrap my brain around that massive ship. Doesn't matter, I suppose. We'll go and wander and find things to do and have fun. Right?

The meet thread has gotten biiiiiiig. Catching up may be a challenge! :scratchin

Someone was asking earlier if anyone was cruising before this one. We are sailing in the Fantasy in 11 days!!

No particular reason. We decided to cruise rather than use DVC points on land.

Should be fun!

We took our family with 3 grand children on the Fantasy in July! It was a great time! East or West? We were Eastern C.

I kinda thought a TA would be a cruise... How does one go on a transatlantic ship ride and not call it a cruise? :confused3

Haha, I know what you mean. Cunard have a funny thing about calling the Transatlantics 'crossings' and the QM2 is the only proper ocean liner just now, built to go through rough seas etc. Maybe I have just got into their thinking.:rotfl2: I wrote it without realising. In this case though I think it was a case of the Transatlantic going home as a kind of way to get home rather than a cruise which is more a vacation:confused3. Occasionally it can be almost as cheap as a flight ticket, particularly if a one way ticket, and you get 6 days of food and activities etc. Plus the jet lag isn't as bad when you do get home.

Just an extra to the above, I came across an article just by chance when browsing the site.

http://www.beyondships2.com/faq-ocean-liners-and-cruise-ships.html

No they don't, strange. Maybe it is about time they tried DCL!! It is a good site for other cruise lines to get an overview etc though.

No need for me to boycott. I only so brunch and since I am Platinum it is free.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

No need for me to boycott. I only so brunch and since I am Platinum it is free.

Hi Ann1791:cool1:Platinum huh. Weill I guess I am your long lost Brother. Yeah that wiill teach them to raise the prices by 5.00:rotfl: Sent from my computer at home..pixiedust: Have a great day:firefight

So I am starting to think about flights. The boys are not coming on this trip because they really cannot miss 2 weeks of school being in 3rd and 5th grade. Dd is in Kindergarten and I'm fine taking her out. That being said, I would like her to miss as little as possible. So I'm thinking about taking a direct red eye flight from LAX to MIA. It gets in just before 7am. I've never flown in on the same day but wondering if I want to take the gamble. How hard would it be to get to Key West if the flight didn't get in on time? :lmao: There are flights that leave around 2ish, but that puts us into MIA after 11pm and even though it will feel like 8pm to us, I'm afraid dd will be a pill. =) Or I just have her miss a 12th day and we fly out in the morning on the 1st. Decisions, decisions....

We took our family with 3 grand children on the Fantasy in July! It was a great time! East or West? We were Eastern C.

Western, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, CC.

We received an email about how to use the new app. for the Fantasy. I'll let you all know how it goes.

It's sad that we leave on Thursday, and I haven't even started to pack. I guess one doesn't get as excited about a 7 day cruise. Or since, this is our 9th cruise I have the packing down pat.

Jen:moped:

Are any others cruising between now A&F this WBPC cruise?

We're cruising on the Wonder in just 8 weeks with all 7 of our kids (ranging in age from 8 to 23). It's a 7-night Western Caribbean out of Galveston with the ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel. We ran across some fantastic *GT rates and just couldn't pass them up... booked 9 of us into 1-OGT & 2-IGTs for less than $5000! :yay:

We're cruising on the Wonder in just 8 weeks with all 7 of our kids (ranging in age from 8 to 23). It's a 7-night Western Caribbean out of Galveston with the ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel. We ran across some fantastic *GT rates and just couldn't pass them up... booked 9 of us into 1-OGT & 2-IGTs for less than $5000! :yay:

Awesome! What a great rate! I love the Wonder.

So I am starting to think about flights. The boys are not coming on this trip because they really cannot miss 2 weeks of school being in 3rd and 5th grade. Dd is in Kindergarten and I'm fine taking her out. That being said, I would like her to miss as little as possible. So I'm thinking about taking a direct red eye flight from LAX to MIA. It gets in just before 7am. I've never flown in on the same day but wondering if I want to take the gamble. How hard would it be to get to Key West if the flight didn't get in on time? :lmao: There are flights that leave around 2ish, but that puts us into MIA after 11pm and even though it will feel like 8pm to us, I'm afraid dd will be a pill. =) Or I just have her miss a 12th day and we fly out in the morning on the 1st. Decisions, decisions....
Just a FYI, and this may have changed, but if you miss the ship in MIA you can not board in Key West. I remember reading that somewhere especially when DCL was offering Key West as the first port on a Western. Things may have changed but I swear II know I read it on some DCL paperwork they sent.

Just a FYI, and this may have changed, but if you miss the ship in MIA you can not board in Key West. I remember reading that somewhere especially when DCL was offering Key West as the first port on a Western. Things may have changed but I swear II know I read it on some DCL paperwork they sent.

Well this is good to know. I'll have to call DCL and confirm. If that is indeed the case, I probably won't take the red eye then. Thanks for letting me know! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter