• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 19 - 24, 2014 San Diego to Vancouver

Hi there!

Was hoping to join you all on this amazing cruise but can't decide which cruise I'll go on - it depends on what time of year (Spring or summer) I can travel...
BUT, money is a big factor for me!! And I was wondering, is it just me or have the prices gone way up? A couple of months ago maybe, I checked the prices and as I remembers it, a standard inside stateroom was $600-700 per person? (Think I saw $1300/$1400 for two adults) . Just checked the prices yesterday and the price for the same room is now over $1000 per person - that is like a price increase of almost $400 per guest!! Was really surprised to see that!
Is it because they are almost full?? Or what is the reason for these increases?

Hi there!

Was hoping to join you all on this amazing cruise but can't decide which cruise I'll go on - it depends on what time of year (Spring or summer) I can travel...
BUT, money is a big factor for me!! And I was wondering, is it just me or have the prices gone way up? A couple of months ago maybe, I checked the prices and as I remembers it, a standard inside stateroom was $600-700 per person? (Think I saw $1300/$1400 for two adults) . Just checked the prices yesterday and the price for the same room is now over $1000 per person - that is like a price increase of almost $400 per guest!! Was really surprised to see that!
Is it because they are almost full?? Or what is the reason for these increases?

I would guess it's because there are so few sailings from CA since they dropped LA and the Mexican Riviera from their cruise itinerary. I find being able to drive to at least one port is a big cost saver and loved it when we could just drive to LA port to come and go - no airfares and no hotels to add to cost of trip. We live in Orange County. I would guess that makes demand high and DCL will charge what people will pay. On other sailings, if they come up with a real bargain, like kids sail free, they apply it to current reservations but I don't expect that for this trip.

Hi everyone,

We are unfortunately going to have to cancel this cruise too, mostly for the same logistical reasons as our friends Jessica (Kidlette) and Ryan. We originally decided to do an Alaska cruise instead as it would actually be cheaper since we could just drive to Vancouver instead of doing two one-way flights but after spending this last week at Aulani, we decided to save our money and use it to get back to Aulani sooner.

I hope everyone has a great time on this cruise!

-steve

Hi everyone,

We are unfortunately going to have to cancel this cruise too, mostly for the same logistical reasons as our friends Jessica (Kidlette) and Ryan. We originally decided to do an Alaska cruise instead as it would actually be cheaper since we could just drive to Vancouver instead of doing two one-way flights but after spending this last week at Aulani, we decided to save our money and use it to get back to Aulani sooner.

I hope everyone has a great time on this cruise!

-steve

I can't blame you, I would enjoy Aulani as well. I hope to get there in the next couple of years.

I'm starting some research for our travel after the cruise and have some questions. Does anyone know if there is a rental car kiosk or desk where we get off the ship (is it Canada Place)? We're thinking since we'll have Monday off as well, we'll spend a night somewhere in Vancouver, drive to Seattle on Sunday, spend a night there, and fly back home on Monday. Any thoughts? I'm going to check out the Vancouver thread for hotel suggestions, but it's a long thread over there lol, so any hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well :). Thanks!

I'm starting some research for our travel after the cruise and have some questions. Does anyone know if there is a rental car kiosk or desk where we get off the ship (is it Canada Place)? We're thinking since we'll have Monday off as well, we'll spend a night somewhere in Vancouver, drive to Seattle on Sunday, spend a night there, and fly back home on Monday. Any thoughts? I'm going to check out the Vancouver thread for hotel suggestions, but it's a long thread over there lol, so any hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well :). Thanks!

I have booked my DH at the Pan Pacific for the night of the 23rd. He is joining us on the Alaskan May 24th sailing. I emailed the hotel directly and asked for their AAA rate and they came back to me at a little less than $200.00. While expensive to me, I understand that this is good for this hotel and that most hotels in Vancouver are fairly expensive.

I jumped on this because I wanted him to be right there at the port and not to have to deal with anything other than heading downstairs and getting on the ship.

I have booked my DH at the Pan Pacific for the night of the 23rd. He is joining us on the Alaskan May 24th sailing. I emailed the hotel directly and asked for their AAA rate and they came back to me at a little less than $200.00. While expensive to me, I understand that this is good for this hotel and that most hotels in Vancouver are fairly expensive.

I jumped on this because I wanted him to be right there at the port and not to have to deal with anything other than heading downstairs and getting on the ship.
This is a great rate for a hotel on the harbor in Vancouver! We ended up staying out by the airport in 2011 the night before we sailed since any hotels that had rooms left (over a year out!) were upwards of $300/night. That was in September though.

I actually think that's a great rate. Just checked our 2011 Vancouver hotel confirmation from Hotwire and we paid $132/night plus taxes for the Sutton Place Hotel as a blind hotel, which is close but not that walkable. For under $200/night to be at the port is really good, especially this far out.

This is a great rate for a hotel on the harbor in Vancouver! We ended up staying out by the airport in 2011 the night before we sailed since any hotels that had rooms left (over a year out!) were upwards of $300/night. That was in September though.

I actually think that's a great rate. Just checked our 2011 Vancouver hotel confirmation from Hotwire and we paid $132/night plus taxes for the Sutton Place Hotel as a blind hotel, which is close but not that walkable. For under $200/night to be at the port is really good, especially this far out.

Thanks for the confirmation guys, since I really wasn't sure I was doing the right thing by booking so early.

Hey All, we are joining you on this cruise, we have had it booked for ages but are now 100% defo doing it!!

It will be me and my Husband on this trip :hug: and we will be doing it back to back with the 9 Night Alaskan cruise.

As we are coming in from the UK and there will be an 8 hour time difference we have decided to make this a "trip of a lifetime" so we are flying out to Las Vegas on the 10th May, spending Sat-Tue in Vegas, then on Tuesday driving from LV to Anaheim and spending Tues-Sat in Anaheim, then driving Sat from Anaheim to San Diego. On Sunday doing Seaworld and then picking up the cruise on the Monday!

When we get to Vancover we are doing one night in Vancover before flying back to the UK.

Can't wait to cruise with all you guys!!

Hey All, we are joining you on this cruise, we have had it booked for ages but are now 100% defo doing it!!

It will be me and my Husband on this trip :hug: and we will be doing it back to back with the 9 Night Alaskan cruise.

As we are coming in from the UK and there will be an 8 hour time difference we have decided to make this a "trip of a lifetime" so we are flying out to Las Vegas on the 10th May, spending Sat-Tue in Vegas, then on Tuesday driving from LV to Anaheim and spending Tues-Sat in Anaheim, then driving Sat from Anaheim to San Diego. On Sunday doing Seaworld and then picking up the cruise on the Monday!

When we get to Vancover we are doing one night in Vancover before flying back to the UK.

Welcome. Sounds like you have an exciting trip planned. How fun, An 8-hour time difference, wow, that is something because I know the 3 hour one we deal with is enough for me, but it sounds as if you have enough time to get acclimated before the cruise.

Again, welcome, and I have you added to the roster on the first page. :goodvibes

Welcome to the board! Wow, That sounds like a great trip!

Hello! Here is our FE Update

36 Adults
12 kids under twelve years old
6 kids over twelve years old
19 Staterooms
:thumbsup2

Hello! Here is our FE Update

36 Adults
12 kids under twelve years old
6 kids over twelve years old
19 Staterooms
:thumbsup2

What a great number of participants? Very excited for meet and greets. Especially for the kids, they build up all the energy and excitement.
Our family was just wondering...
What was the final consensus on what number of staterooms before it is split into groups? I know that 19 rooms and 54 people is much too big a group for our family both financially and especially travel packing space-wise. What are others' thoughts?
Thanks!
:yay:

What a great number of participants? Very excited for meet and greets. Especially for the kids, they build up all the energy and excitement.
Our family was just wondering...
What was the final consensus on what number of staterooms before it is split into groups? I know that 19 rooms and 54 people is much too big a group for our family both financially and especially travel packing space-wise. What are others' thoughts?
Thanks!
:yay:

In a different FE group we joined on a prior cruise, the organizer split the FE into groups and people could join more than 1 group if they wanted to give/receive from more staterooms. That could be an idea. I'm not sure how others feel. I don't really have a preference.

To the OP -- my husband finally got his next May's schedule and will be joining us :yay: Would you mind adding this info next time you update the rollcall/FE list? No rush, thanks! :goodvibes

We'll join the FE to make it 20 and maybe you can split it into 2 groups? Though technically we're a family of 5 split into 2 different staterooms you can count us as one unit, right? I'm new to all of this and was on the fence about doing the FE but I'm ready up join :).

I'll try to email my info this week, but for now I'll say that it's me (heather-37), dh (Ryan-38 ) dd (7), ds (5), and baby dd (18 months)...all ages are at the time of sailing :)

In a different FE group we joined on a prior cruise, the organizer split the FE into groups and people could join more than 1 group if they wanted to give/receive from more staterooms. That could be an idea. I'm not sure how others feel. I don't really have a preference.

To the OP -- my husband finally got his next May's schedule and will be joining us :yay: Would you mind adding this info next time you update the rollcall/FE list? No rush, thanks! :goodvibes

All done, I know you are so glad he is going to be able to join you.

My local news just had a quick new clip on the fact that Disney is relaxing the dining room dress codes and will now allow shorts in the MDR. I think this is wonderful for the Port Canaveral sailings and their warm weather, but I am not sure that our sailing weather is going to permit shorts much at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter