May 19 - 24, 2014 San Diego to Vancouver

Nothing else you want to do in SF? I remember you know the area well, but no place you would like to eat or anything like that?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but just wanted to comment and say hi!

I fully intend to eat on the ship every day, because I really enjoy the food and love the value of it. Especially love the lunches served in the dining room. SF has some great food, but considering that the ship food is included in our fare and pretty darn tasty I have a hard time justifying eating off-ship when in port.

I'm contemplating heading to the California Academy of Science since that's new (was it rebuilt? don't remember it being there before), and we never seem to have the energy to head to SF for the weekend unless we have tickets to a show or some reason that we have to go on a specific date. Its terrible that we have all these great resources in our backyard, 45 minutes away and don't take advantage of them as often as we should (though to be fair once or twice a month we can muster up the energy to head to Napa since that's only 15 minutes to a half hour away). Or perhaps just go wander around Golden Gate Park and the Japanese Tea Garden.

I would love to go to the Walt Disney Family Museum again but with DS7 I don't think that's a good idea. If we had 2 days in port I'd leave him on the ship one of the days, but with just the one day I feel like we should go be land lubbers together.

Of course I'm waffling on whether we're 100% that we're going to take this cruise ... I have a feeling we won't make up our minds until just before the PIF date. I want to cruise, and this one we snagged such a fabulous price, the timing is right, but I feel like if we're going to spend anything to cruise I'd love to wait until they update the Wonder the way they're doing the Magic, plus we'd love to cruise with our friends who are probably putting it off until 2015. (Of course if we keep this one, and then DCL releases some great IGT/OGT fares our friends might book it last minute; they're on the fence a bit too, mostly looking for a great price since they didn't book on day 1 like we did.)

I should make up my mind before the 2015 dates are released (probably next month?) so I can move our one and only OBB discount on day one. (I should have booked another OBB just for the flexibility on our cruise last December but foolishly thought one would be enough! :laughing:). Right now I'm about 70% for taking this cruise and booking another for 2015 on board, 30% we should save for 2015 and a cruise with an upgraded ship ... not that the Wonder hasn't been wonderful as is.

I'm contemplating heading to the California Academy of Science since that's new (was it rebuilt? don't remember it being there before), and we never seem to have the energy to head to SF for the weekend unless we have tickets to a show or some reason that we have to go on a specific date. Its terrible that we have all these great resources in our backyard, 45 minutes away and don't take advantage of them as often as we should (though to be fair once or twice a month we can muster up the energy to head to Napa since that's only 15 minutes to a half hour away). Or perhaps just go wander around Golden Gate Park and the Japanese Tea Garden.

Is that the Exploratorium? If so, it's "new" to Pier 15 and they moved it from the Palace of the Fine Arts last year where it'd been a long time. They also increased the entrance fees by quite alot, but residents of the 9 counties in NorCal get discounts.

I think we're going to check this out since I haven't been to the old Exploratorium since 2005. I'm excited to be back visiting SF since I haven't been there in a long time. This is where I met my DH and alot of the "tourist" attractions are fun date memories for us.

I totally understand how you feel about having things in your "backyard" without taking time to do them.... we feel the same way about where we live. :p

We weren't super sure about going on this cruise either, but the price really is so good it's hard to pass up :beach:

Probably not...we're not much of city people. We'd rather go back to the South Bay and see sil and our friends down there. Maybe we'll do that instead. If not, I'm sure sil would drive up to meet up with us for a bit :)

1. Count us in if there is going to be a pre meetup before the cruise.! 2. Still haven't figured out what we are going to do in SF. I guess we'll. figure out later or else just hang out.

What a great number of participants? Very excited for meet and greets. Especially for the kids, they build up all the energy and excitement.
Our family was just wondering...
What was the final consensus on what number of staterooms before it is split into groups? I know that 19 rooms and 54 people is much too big a group for our family both financially and especially travel packing space-wise. What are others' thoughts?
Thanks!
:yay:

The vote was 15.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in San Diego? We are looking at coming in the Saturday before the cruise leaves and want to visit the zoo for sure. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I would love to see the beach, but don't want to cram too much into the short amount of time that we will have - it's a vacation after all! :)

Thank you!

One more question - do you think or do you know if Disney will offer transfers from Disneyland to San Diego for the cruise? Was just considering the crazy idea of doing Disneyland for one day then heading to San Diego for the zoo and then the cruise! Afterward ending in Vancouver with some whale watching....

One more question - do you think or do you know if Disney will offer transfers from Disneyland to San Diego for the cruise? Was just considering the crazy idea of doing Disneyland for one day then heading to San Diego for the zoo and then the cruise! Afterward ending in Vancouver with some whale watching....

I really don't think there will be transfers from Disneyland to San Diego.

If the Giants are not in town, the stadium offers great tours. We may do that. I have a 6 year old grandson.

You can take the train from Anaheim to downtown San Diego. Check online for fares and times.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in San Diego? We are looking at coming in the Saturday before the cruise leaves and want to visit the zoo for sure. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I would love to see the beach, but don't want to cram too much into the short amount of time that we will have - it's a vacation after all! :)

Thank you!

This is what I posted on the FB page, and as far as I know, you could be the person I responded to there as well-LOL "I first was looking for location and was having a hard time finding anything available. I then ended up with what I could get at a fairly reasonable rate, the Hilton Airport, two night for $342. I might add that I booked this July and was having trouble finding availability."

Hope this helps.

If the Giants are not in town, the stadium offers great tours. We may do that. I have a 6 year old grandson.

The tour is fun :). We did that just before we moved down to SD as my dh's birthday gift :)

You can take the train from Anaheim to downtown San Diego. Check online for fares and times.

We are planning to fly into Orange County, spend 3days in DL, Amtrak to SD, then cruise to Vancouver. It will be a planes, trains, and big ship kinda vacay! :yay:

Our plan is to fly into SD, cruise up to Van, then train to Seattle , and finally fly back to Georgia. So it will be plane ship train and auto vacation for us!!

Our plan is to fly into SD, cruise up to Van, then train to Seattle , and finally fly back to Georgia. So it will be plane ship train and auto vacation for us!!

Do you have a plan for getting from the port to the train to Seattle? We'd like to do that too (and eventually fly home to Boston) but haven't quite been able to figure it all out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter