May 1 - May 8 - still busy in the Parks?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
What about the first week in May ?
After Spring/Easter breaks.
Before most schools are out
Decent weather.

Crowds still manageable ?

Decent weather.

That's supposed to be a good time of year to visit. So many people take their kids out of school to visit WDW these days, the fact of school being in or out is no longer the biggest driver of crowds. Now it has just as much to do with WDW special events, weather, etc. Midsummer is actually a relatively low-crowd time to visit WDW now.

Typically manageable with the caveat that the Saturdays in May are considered peak days in Disney Tiered pricing and they just extended the first Sat in May from 9-9 to 8 to midnight. So Disney is expecting it to be busier than years past.

We're going the first through the second week of May this year, and I've heard many favorable reports about crowds and weather. Not sure if it's any indication since I have only two in my party, but I had no trouble getting FP+ for anything I wanted, including FoP on two different days.

Typically manageable with the caveat that the Saturdays in May are considered peak days in Disney Tiered pricing and they just extended the first Sat in May from 9-9 to 8 to midnight. So Disney is expecting it to be busier than years past.

Yup, I just noticed that. AK also got extended on May 5 from 9pm closing to 10:30 closing with two ROL shows! I wonder if Cinco de Mayo has any impact? We did get pretty much all the ADRs we wanted and we booked those in January not 180 days out. The only one we couldn't get was Plaza for lunch... go figure, so I booked the latest breakfast at BOG and we will do brunch instead. Got all the FP+ we wanted at the times we wanted too. I was here this week 4 years ago and it was wonderful... this year... who knows.

Yup, I just noticed that. AK also got extended on May 5 from 9pm closing to 10:30 closing with two ROL shows! I wonder if Cinco de Mayo has any impact? We did get pretty much all the ADRs we wanted and we booked those in January not 180 days out. The only one we couldn't get was Plaza for lunch... go figure, so I booked the latest breakfast at BOG and we will do brunch instead. Got all the FP+ we wanted at the times we wanted too. I was here this week 4 years ago and it was wonderful... this year... who knows.

A couple of days ago I looked at FP availability for 7DMT on Sun 4/29, Thur 5/3, and Sat 5/5 and both 4/29 and 5/3 had FP availablity from 5 pm on. Sat 5/5 had it from 2 pm on. So it’s curious to me that Sat is extended. I know the majority of guests in a park are not on-site but I’m not sure if I believe that Sat is going to be 8 am busy. But maybe it will. That first Sat was very busy last year (although I feel like that was because it was the last Sat of Wishes).

Decent weather.

We went at that time last year. It was very hot a few days and the parks were crowded on the weekends. During the week was the best crowd wise, but not slow by any stretch! Better than summer though!!

You can not get the plaza for lunch because for most of the day it’s walk up reservations only.

You can not get the plaza for lunch because for most of the day it’s walk up reservations only.

Really? I did not realize that. It was our tradition to always eat lunch there on our MK day but that's ok, we are excited to see inside the BOG castle.

Just curious where the change in hours on that first Saturdays is found? I don't see it on any calendar or schedule .

We'll be there from 5/04 - 5/12. These are typically the same dates we go every year. Last year wasn't too bad with the crowds but it is hot! Bearable but hot. The weekends are always busy so we usually try to cut those days short and enjoy an afternoon lounging by the resort pool or visiting Disney Springs. I tried going to the water parks on a weekend and we hated it...so many people! Weekday crowds are manageable. :)

I had no problems getting FP's 60 days out this year but I have had a hard time getting the reservation I want at BOGR for a group of 6 (I still have one but I'm looking for a second). To be fair, I didn't book any restaurants until maybe 2 months ago.

I know Disney changed the park hours for 5/03 to 5/05, which is surprising because I've never seen the park hours change for our May trips. I guess they are expecting Some higher crowds that weekend. :(

We'll be there from 5/04 - 5/12. These are typically the same dates we go every year. Last year wasn't too bad with the crowds but it is hot! Bearable but hot. The weekends are always busy so we usually try to cut those days short and enjoy an afternoon lounging by the resort pool or visiting Disney Springs. I tried going to the water parks on a weekend and we hated it...so many people! Weekday crowds are manageable. :)

I had no problems getting FP's 60 days out this year but I have had a hard time getting the reservation I want at BOGR for a group of 6 (I still have one but I'm looking for a second). To be fair, I didn't book any restaurants until maybe 2 months ago.

I know Disney changed the park hours for 5/03 to 5/05, which is surprising because I've never seen the park hours change for our May trips. I guess they are expecting Some higher crowds that weekend. :(

We are going to be there your same dates. We also were fine getting FP for 9 people. When we chose this timeframe more than a year ago I started watching Orlando weather the first week of May and I do remember seeing very hot temperatures! We have our cooling towels and misting fans for the kids and plan shorter days so hoping it works out fine.

Wouldn't that weekend be Star Wars weekend, probably why they're expecting larger crowds.

Wouldn't that weekend be Star Wars weekend, probably why they're expecting larger crowds.
It is May the Fourth Be With You and Revenge of the Fifth.... however on another thread lots of people said they don't really do much extra for those dates anymore... sadly. One of the reasons we picked that time was my son really wanted to be in HS on the 4th. We are doing that anyway but I guess it isn't what it used to be. And it doesn't look like hours at HS were extended at all, just at AK and MK.

Define "busy".
Seriously. What do you consider busy?

Early May is not Easter/Spring Break/July 4/Christmas busy. But is it busier than, say, some random Tuesday in October? Probably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter