Maui

Here's a wildfire and climate expert....PHd. NASA Scientist, Dr. Elizabeth Hoy. She addresses the rise in global temperatures which makes droughts more intense, which dries out any "fuel" that plays a huge role in wildfires, as did the non-native invasive plants that fueled the Maui fires. I could literally post hundreds of other scientists who are in agreement. Probably more if I had the time.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/are-wildfires-getting-worse-we-asked-a-nasa-scientist
My source has a PhD, too, and others with similar views exist despite your team's desire to deamplify them.

Anyway, even NASA says global temperatures (which aren't relevant to temperatures on Maui specifically and are gathered in various inconsistent ways) have risen 2°F since 1880. (And nothing says the change was driven by humans.) That didn't lead to the Maui fires being worse. If there is a human cause, it's bad forest/agriculture detritus management.

We'll have to disagree -- I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. Toodles.

I am also in my 50's. I've lived through hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, and droughts. Heck, a tornado came one block away from where my daughter lived a few years ago. Climate change is a cycle, but it's the speed at which it is occurring now that's alarming. We are pulling so much stored carbon out of the earth - all that fossil fuel we burn has been in the earth for how long? Adding that into the atmospheric carbon dioxide is ramping things up.

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/question-6/#:~:text=The speed of the current,the natural world to adapt.&text=The largest global-scale climate,cycles (see infobox, p.
Climate change did not cause the fire in Maui.The climate zealots will blame every natural disaster on climate change to further their agenda.

This response is so much garbage;
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/downed-power-lines-maui-wildfires-00111356
To summarize, Hawaiian Electric says they did not shut off power because if they did, critical emergency alerts would not have gone out. Oh, you mean like the critical emergency alerts THAT DID NOT GO OUT?

Hawaiian Electric is about to learn the same expensive lesson PG&E did. You can't just string electric lines everywhere and not provide any sort of safeguards. This was literally an accident waiting to happen - and it did.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/downed-power-lines-maui-wildfires-00111356
To summarize, Hawaiian Electric says they did not shut off power because if they did, critical emergency alerts would not have gone out. Oh, you mean like the critical emergency alerts THAT DID NOT GO OUT?

Hawaiian Electric is about to learn the same expensive lesson PG&E did. You can't just string electric lines everywhere and not provide any sort of safeguards. This was literally an accident waiting to happen - and it did.

Yup, that's what is going to happen, huge huge lawsuits. I saw the first lawsuit hit the other day and their stock tanked the next day....and again today. They were downgraded to junk bond status today. The one thing I was thinking though....was that I read that the main water source for this area was from well water that relies on electric pumps. There's a creek as well, but that's low due to extended drought (exacerbated by higher temps/winds....climate change), and so they were reluctant to cut power because pumps would fail...which happened. I wonder if they were reluctant to cut power once the fire started...knowing it would affect those pumps. In the end the power failed anyway. Those poor people didn't have a chance.

Maui Guide article on when is it safe to visit Maui again

A few others have upcoming trips planned and may find this useful.

Great article, I saw a couple important takeaways for those that do not have time to read it: 1) be respectful - REALLY respectful of the locals and their pain, I can see tourists asking questions thinking they are being friendly and curious - but talking about this will be like asking a vet about a difficult tour - causing PTSD - for years to come. 2) keep an eye open for ways to donate, and if on the Islands, try to volunteer while there.

I grew up in an area not far, and not unlike Paradise. Using Paradise and PG&E as a guide, what happened there is they got really strict on clearing vegetation, getting rid of project cars, really anything that would exacerbate a fire. The insurance companies attached all sorts of inspections as requirements to renew policies, then they stopped writing new policies altogether. The State now acts as an insurer as the only policies available to people in those areas is a very high premium, very high deductible "fair" plan.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, PG&E, the one responsible for the fire. Yeah, they pre-emptively shut off power when high winds are expected. Well I guess that's something.

Hawaiian Electric ABSOLUTELY knew their power lines were getting blown over - there is video everywhere that people put on-line BEFORE the fire. Plan? What plan? They didn't have one. What's worse is the government is rallying around HE. Looking for a recording of the press conference that Steve Gregory from KFI in So Cal asked some tough questions at. It's in their podcast from yesterday. He was practically run out of town for asking. The local media is scared to ask the questions because they aren't headed back to So Cal. Privately they thanked him though.

Here you go, Steve Gregory, hour 4 of the Gary and Shannon show. Keep listening - it gets worse, and it's not just this reporter from this station. This is a full-blown cover-up.
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-...0815-gas-hour-4-whats-121126218/?position=588

Last edited:
Here is some great insight.

Good link. I was a bit concerned it was actually going to head down the "lasers started the fire" road.

Here in California, we are blessed and cursed by the fire prevention laws which are tightening daily - frankly, some of the prevention steps and insurance increases Are pricing people out of their homes :( I recall being Really, Really irritated when the Electric Company would have private contractors go thru our neighborhood and majorly hack back trees (no thought to esthetics or tree health) to clear around the lines. The tree guys told me they were more afraid of angry homeowners than the monster saws they worked with.

Climate change did not cause the fire in Maui.The climate zealots will blame every natural disaster on climate change to further their agenda.
You can stay in your denial mode. That is your choice. The world climate is changing faster than it has to. Humans are causing it by burning fossil fuels. Natural disasters will happen more often because of climate change. Humans will alter the cycle even more, in a futile struggle. The planet will survive, but most living things will not be able to adapt to the changes at the rate they have to in order to survive. Of course that happens anyways, but humans may not like this next round of evolution.

You can stay in your denial mode. That is your choice. The world climate is changing faster than it has to. Humans are causing it by burning fossil fuels. Natural disasters will happen more often because of climate change. Humans will alter the cycle even more, in a futile struggle. The planet will survive, but most living things will not be able to adapt to the changes at the rate they have to in order to survive. Of course that happens anyways, but humans may not like this next round of evolution.

You're wasting your time. It's doesn't fit with the worldview of many to see what's happening all around them. We look towards renewable energy. They demand "energy independence!!"....which is just another way to say "drill baby drill".
The news some watch is telling them "It's Always Hot in Phoenix!!" Sounds like a good name for a sitcom ;). The news we follow lays out the fact that Phoenix broke its all time record for number of consecutive days over 115 degrees.

Some of the "non-believers" don't even believe the world is warming, which is just a fact. But they definitely don't believe that it's the carbon that we're pumping into the atmosphere that is doing it. Even though the earth would be in a cooling phase without the carbon emissions we've caused. Even though carbon levels are 50% higher than they were in the pre-industrial time...and growing each year. Even though carbon emissions are the highest they've been in the last 4 million years....in human history, they won't believe it. We know this from fossil records....doesn't matter, they don't believe it. Even if this summer....may be one of the coolest summers any of us experience for the rest of our lives.

There's also nuance to climate change. It doesn't mean that there haven't been bad wildfire seasons in Canada, but that it makes them longer and more intense when they do happen. However within the nuance of the situation, I also know that the fires created the most toxic air since such measures were taken in the United States. So that's new....different. I've been around for 55 years....hadn't ever seen NYC engulfed in Canadian wildfire smoke. The temperatures in the Northern Atlantic hit the highest temp ever recorded....that's new, different too. The NOAA just increased their estimate for number of named storms and hurricanes, and so everyone along the eastern seaboard and Gulf of Mexico gulps.

We'll never agree on what's causing the weather to change in this country of ours. But..if you want a true assessment of whether the climate is actually changing....follow the money. Insurance companies won't say they believe in "climate change" (that would likely result in a Bud-light style boycott...lol), but they do talk about "climate risk", and they believe "climate risk" is increasing. So at least they are *seeing* what at least half of us are seeing.

I like this story about Hormel donating Spam to the affected area:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/18/business/maui-fire-spam-hormel/index.html

Spam is very popular in Hawaii despite it being a bit of a joke for many people. They actually make pretty good preparations with it too, like Spam fried rice - it's delicious!
They even make Spam Sushi. They don't call it sushi but essentially it is a piece of fried spam over rice wrapped in nori. I think it's called Musubi??? Don't quote me on that one but off the top of my head I think I remember the name. I've also seen the same made with Spam and egg over rice wrapped in Nori. Spend enough time in Hawaii and you too will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. You will become one, with the Spam.

Spam serves a purpose. It doesn't have to be refrigerated and it doesn't have to be cooked. It's also inexpensive. And it packs a punch. I don't even go on a day hike without a can in my back pack for emergencies.

They even make Spam Sushi. They don't call it sushi but essentially it is a piece of fried spam over rice wrapped in nori. I think it's called Musubi??? Don't quote me on that one but off the top of my head I think I remember the name. I've also seen the same made with Spam and egg over rice wrapped in Nori. Spend enough time in Hawaii and you too will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. You will become one, with the Spam.
Yeah, it's spam musubi. Found in most convenience stores across Hawaii. And really tasty, in fact. :)

One thing of sure of is a lot of the policies to “stop global warming” will be deadlier than any actual warming. Yeah let’s block the sun…,genius.
Some of the things I have read that have been proposed in the name of climate change are absurd. Blocking the sun is definitely terrifying and would have broad implications. New Zealand proposing to tax cow "emissions" is another one.

Are you saying that people that live in Phoenix don’t know it’s always hot in Phoenix in the Summer. OMG it’s 115 in Phoenix the sky is falling. It’s an apocalypse. We’re all going to die.

At least we didn’t have a string of 120 plus days this year. I’ve lived here 25 years and we get excited when we have a day below 105 in the Summer. I guess the hurricane cooling us off into the 80’s this weekend is global warming too.

I think you watch way too much CNN.

I never said it's the end of the world, you're being dramatic. I said that the planet is warming and as a result we're having more extreme weather and wildfires, like the tragedy of Lahaina. This is a fact. The more extreme weather and wildfires are going to make it more difficult for all human beings to live comfortably on this planet. As with all things, those at the poorest end of the scale will suffer the most. In poorer countries like India, they are seeing a rapid rise in renal disease which is directly connected to prolong dehydration in people who work outside without respite from the increasing temperatures. That's just one example....there are many more.

And I'm saying that the temperature is rising due to climate change, which is us pumping excessive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, causing the planet to warm....when it should be in a cooling period. The planet began to warm up....when we started burning coal. As a result of that, we've raised the temperature 2.0 degrees Fahrenheit (1.0 degree Celsius), with most of this warming coming in the last 35 years.

As a result of all of this.....some of us are noting that we are having more frequent 500-1,000 year floods, longer and more extreme droughts, longer wildfire seasons that cause increasingly more destruction and hotter summers with long periods of 100 plus, or in the case of Phoenix 110+ days and the hottest July in recorded history. 2022 was the warmest year on record, until we get to the end of this year, when 2023 will take the lead. It's happening all around us....you don't need the news to see it.

Also, I don't watch CNN....I don't have cable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter