Matt's 2017 Spring Dapper Day Trip Report

After striking out, we left Radiator Springs and made our way over to the Pier and boardwalk

IMG_2245%20(Large).jpg

As we roll up to Toy Story Midway Mania what do we find... It is also down with no ETA of when it will be up. Ugh!!! I guess Mickey's Fun Wheel of death is the next stop as we see it at least moving. As we roll up, what do we find... ALSO DOWN!!! Now we are getting aggravated. We continue our way around the pier only to find nothing else running... except... Ariel's Undersea Adventure. Are you kidding me????? Thanks Disney for not starting attraction checks until the park is already open. Oh well... make lemonade and all that stuff...

DSC_3170%20(Large).jpg

By now it was 07:30. A quick check indicated RSR was back up and running with a 30 minute wait so back we went.

While waiting in line, I happened to notice zeitzeuge (a regular on MiceChat) and his spouse in line about 10 parties behind us. It was one of those awkward moments where internet strangers meet as I introduced myself. Good to see people in real life who I met through shared Disney addiction (I've got some real-life friends who happened to meet the same way).

DSC_3220%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3231%20(Large).jpg

Victoria saw the waterfall right as I snapped this pic

DSC_3236%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3240%20(Large).jpg

I wonder if Disney will ever fix the permanently tipped over tractor or get the smoke ring working again. I've noticed smoke effects never seem to be working as BTMRR's was also non-functional this trip. For what Disney is charging these days, you'd expect nothing but flawless operations.

DSC_3241%20(Large).jpg

Frank waking up never gets old.

DSC_3244%20(Large).jpg

One of these days I'll get a clean shot of Mater jumping the moon.

DSC_3245%20(Large).jpg

I never noticed one of the cylinders was firing at Flo's until I was processing this pic..

DSC_3248%20(Large).jpg

We ended up getting some new shoes to help win the race. (apologies for the horrible quality on this pic)

DSC_3257%20(Large).jpg

Love the hidden Mickey here

DSC_3260%20(Large).jpg

Victoria was having a BLAST!!

DSC_3263%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3264%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3278%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3280%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3283%20(Large).jpg

I think we lost this race but it was still GREAT!!

DCA_RACERA_20170423_400753759284a%20(Large).jpg

Thankfully since I had grabbed FP, we got to go again!! Victoria REFUSED to ride again for whatever reason, so we split up and it was just Charlotte and I. This time Charlotte was going to drive us.

DSC_3292%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3294%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3329%20(Large).jpg

She must have been a better driver than Katherine was because we WON!!!

DCA_RACERB_20170423_400756006974%20(Large).jpg

After our win, we made our way over to Flo's to meet up with the rest of the family who had eaten breakfast. Both parks now open, we decided to head towards Disneyland before it got to busy and left Radiator Springs at 08:50, but not without a stop up front for a pic.

DSC_3365%20(Large).jpg

Did your DW make the girls dresses? They are so adorable, and love how all 4 match.

I LOVED when mine were little enough to do matching dresses. It was like playing dress up for me. --And cuteness grows exponentially with matching outfits :-).
-

Did your DW make the girls dresses? They are so adorable, and love how all 4 match.

I LOVED when mine were little enough to do matching dresses. It was like playing dress up for me. --And cuteness grows exponentially with matching outfits :-).
-
The girl's dresses are Costco and Amy made her own from scratch. She also made the hats. They were definitely a cute bunch, but the days of hand-making everything for a family of 5 are long gone.

Warning, this installment is pretty much just pictures of the family... a lot of them.

Katherine was still hauling butt with the stroller..

DSC_3377%20(Large).jpg

We cruised through the turnstiles and headed for the left underpass, our personal favorite. I always try to enter on the left just because I love that side and the accompanying vista better, but also strategically because if there is a parade going on, it's the only way you are going to make it anywhere past the town square.

IMG_2254%20(Large).jpg

Down by Market House, there was a CM with these cute little themed frame you could snap some pics with. Not sure if it was for dapper day or just a new thing.

DSC_3388%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3391%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3404%20(Large).jpg

Down at the hub, first priority was a family picture in front of the castle. The pressure would be off then to keep the outfits together. I really wish I had waited till that guy in red moved before snapping this pic:

DSC_3407%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3411%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3417%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3425%20(Large).jpg

IMG_2257%20(Large).jpg

I gave my camera to the PhotoPass photog. I have PP on my AP, but it's better to deal with photos I know the settings on and can work with vs. relying on the PP and the low-res jpgs you get with PP+

DSC_3457%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3466%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3470%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3475%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3481%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3482%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3483_2%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3486%20(Large).jpg

Our family photos now complete, it was off to Frontierland via Fantasy Faire.

Another great TR entry. Wonderful photos! Makes me feel like I'm there. Love the pics of the girls on RSR.

Thanks!! Appreciate it.

I really wish we had run into you guys. Your outfits are superb!!!

Thanks!

I can never get the fam to agree to meet ups... they're not on the DIS so they don't care and they're too busy wanting to do all the DL stuff. ;)

Another great TR entry. Wonderful photos! Makes me feel like I'm there. Love the pics of the girls on RSR.

Thanks!

I can never get the fam to agree to meet ups... they're not on the DIS so they don't care and they're too busy wanting to do all the DL stuff. ;)
Trust me it's hard even with a Disney family. I've met so many people once and very few twice.

Super great pictures and wonderful Dapper Day outfits!
It was our first dapper day and we had a blast, most enjoyable was checking everyone else out.

I did see your family one morning by the subs, I recognized you guys from here but of course didn't say hi because Internet strangers! Lol

Super great pictures and wonderful Dapper Day outfits!
It was our first dapper day and we had a blast, most enjoyable was checking everyone else out.

I did see your family one morning by the subs, I recognized you guys from here but of course didn't say hi because Internet strangers! Lol
Should have said hi!! I remember a few dapper days back Amy was approached by somebody who recognized her from my pictures.

We decided BTMRR was the ticket... unfortunately, Victoria's stubbornness reared it's head AGAIN and she refused to ride, so Amy, K, and Vic sat this one out. I just LOVE that Disney does the best theming even in places you wouldn't expect it.

DSC_3488%20(Large).jpg

The new entrance has some cool greebles too.

DSC_3491%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte and I seldom get to ride together on our own, so this was a real treat.

IMG_2263%20(Large).jpg

Shame that crane is in the shot, but an Iconic view.

DSC_3501%20(Large).jpg

That is going to be a BIG show building.

DSC_3522%20(Large).jpg

Not sure what part we are looking at here, maybe the train route above with tunnel below? I hope they put a boatload more trees to hide things.

DSC_3529%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3548%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3554%20(Large).jpg

We found Amy and the girls taking a break.

DSC_3560%20(Large).jpg

Just realized that last pic is blurry as heck. I need to get my eyes checked. Point of focus was in the reeds behind the stroller.

Shame that crane is in the shot, but an Iconic view.

DSC_3501%20(Large).jpg

It would be an easy Photoshop job though, to get that out. :p

More great shots - how cool you got some Star Wars land stuff while on BTMRR!! Nice!!

Charlotte and I exited BTMRR at 09:31, found Amy and the girls waiting for us by the exit and decided it was a perfect time for a float after some cursed treasure...

The float past the Blue Bayou dining room never gets old. I don't know if I like it better empty, or full of patrons. We would be sitting up there, waterside the following evening, so I couldn't wait.

DSC_3565%20(Large).jpg

I always try to grab a decent pic of the old timer rocking on the porch as we float by to the tune of banjo music. I honestly don't think I can do any better with the gear I've got. Maybe one of those newfangled bodies with a gazillion grain-free ISO settings would do it.

DSC_3569%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3571%20(Large).jpg

Noticed this new projection on one of the waterfalls after the second drop. Bad shot, but you get the idea

DSC_3577%20(Large).jpg

This guy is always sticking around..

DSC_3585%20(Large).jpg

The lighting and seaweed is new on this guy.

DSC_3596%20(Large).jpg

Here is where I'm going to say I totally bought in to the Disney Glazed Donut on Pirates of the Caribbean myth. Supposedly a cast member stuck a glazed donut up on the cobwebs on the ride and it was never removed. I will say that there have been shenanigans with props introduced like the lightsaber which used to be in the barrel of swords. I've got some photographic verification of this. I've never remembered to look for the donut before, but I did make sure to this time. And behold:

DSC_3599%20(Large).jpg

Wait.... that isn't a donut..

DSC_3599_zoom%20(Large).jpg

That is decidedly a carved flask. A quick google of carved donut flask and what do I find?

http://www.icollector.com/Two-Deepl...der-Flasks-and-a-Donut-Shaped-Flask_i15827418

15827418_1%20(Large).jpg

Yep... one in the same. I wonder if Disney was the purchaser, or if it was a common piece because that auction listing seems pricey for set dressing.

Dental checkup?

DSC_3605%20(Large).jpg

I've never focused on the fort defenders before. Usually looking at the Wicked Wench.

DSC_3622%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3624%20(Large).jpg

Glad to see this scene not missing anybody.

DSC_3643%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3648%20(Large).jpg

Not sure who's happier, the pirate or the pigs.

DSC_3652%20(Large).jpg

I've never noticed that this guy has a striped sock on his other foot. I really wasn't happy with the spotlight they had on him casting a beam across the entire show scene.

DSC_3655%20(Large).jpg

Should I tell these guys that the dog is NEVER going to move?

DSC_3666%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3686%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3674%20(Large).jpg

It would be an easy Photoshop job though, to get that out. :p
I suppose I could. I've never bothered to digitally alter an image, just crop/adjust lighting/color balance.

More great shots - how cool you got some Star Wars land stuff while on BTMRR!! Nice!!
I really hope they disguise it a little better. Those trees won't fill in quick enough!!

After we returned from our swashbuckling adventure, it was decided that we needed a beignet fix. Off I went to The French Market to grab some beignets from the window while the girls all did a second pass through the Spanish Main.

They ended up having a few buccaneer-themed items, so I grabbed some of these new lemon-flavored Lost Treasure Beignets (candy sequins even) along with the Jolly Roger Punch to try, and some regular beignets and the newly de-dyed mint julep.

The beignets and julep were superb as always, however they still can't hold a candle to the ones from Ralph Brennan's Jazz kitchen. The lost treasure ones were... sparkly albeit good. The Jolly Roger punch... if it only had rum you could get in some real trouble with a bucket of it. Sooo good.

DSC_3702%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3703%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3708%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3718%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3733%20(Large).jpg

A CM saw the girls posing and brought out one of the decorative frames...

DSC_3736%20(Large).jpg

Victoria is still feral

DSC_3742%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3747%20(Large).jpg

And Katherine has to try to one-up all the rest.

DSC_3751%20(Large).jpg

Our bellies full, we wandered over to the train station. I knew this would be going away soon, so we stopped to get a few more pics with the engine, tender (still haven't done a tender ride), and just enjoy the puzzles/games of a slower pace.

DSC_3764%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3759%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3770%20(Large).jpg

I always wonder what she's thinking when she does this. Maybe my awesome wit just blew her mind..

DSC_3771%20(Large).jpg

One of these trips, we might even get to do a real tender ride.

DSC_3778%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3781%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3789%20(Large).jpg

The Lilly Belle wasn't open but that didn't stop Vic from hamming it up and Charlotte pouting about something or other inane.

DSC_3798%20(Large).jpg

Toddler train toys fix everything.

DSC_3813%20(Large).jpg

That is some red lipstick

DSC_3822%20(Large).jpg

Victoria always to be the cute one.

DSC_3826%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3828%20(Large).jpg

There's a loathsome teenager hiding just under the surface

DSC_3832%20(Large).jpg

Now satiated, it was time for what else? Haunted Mansion. We dawdled but a moment in Magnolia Square. How I love this still quiet place amongst the hustle and bustle of NOS. Despite moving through the HM queue at an extraordinary pace, I stopped to snap a few pics of the surroundings...

DSC_3850%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3853%20(Large).jpg

Way overexposed... I was running and gunning..

DSC_3856%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3867%20(Large).jpg

Is this new?

DSC_3874%20(Large).jpg

I hate shooting into the sun without fill flash...but... I don't shoot flash these days since my last SB600 speedlight gave up the ghost (pun intended)...just have to deal

DSC_3877%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3878%20(Large).jpg

And my favorite... the gargoyles...

DSC_3884%20(Large).jpg

Looks suspiciously out of place perched in my family room.

IMG_2855_adjust%20(Large).jpg

Just hanging around..

DSC_3892%20(Large).jpg

I have to say if there's one thing Disney's prop department has down its their candles. Drool...

DSC_3894%20(Large).jpg

OK, this shot sucks, but I REALLY want a great, properly exposed shot of this suit of armor out of my own camera. So frustrating...

DSC_3897%20(Large).jpg

Another throw-away I tried to salvage of the endless corridor.

DSC_3903%20(Large).jpg

I wasn't going to say anything, but that ghost has a big booty.

DSC_3924%20(Large).jpg

Now you see me...

DSC_3942%20(Large).jpg

Now you don't..

DSC_3941%20(Large).jpg

Married to the Marquis of something or other.. I need to brush up on my Haunted Mansion lore for sure...

DSC_3951%20(Large).jpg

I do like a good hatchet.

DSC_3956%20(Large).jpg

Projections working flawlessly..

DSC_3962%20(Large).jpg

Grainy..

DSC_3967%20(Large).jpg

The Graveyard always gives me fits.

DSC_3975%20(Large).jpg

Cheers!!

DSC_3986%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3994%20(Large).jpg

Don't go losing your head over it.. it'll be alright.

DSC_3996%20(Large).jpg

Did somebody say lose your head?

DSC_3999%20(Large).jpg

That's it.. I don't want to lose an arm or a head... I'm outta here.

DSC_4002%20(Large).jpg

Me too... you going my way?

DSC_4004%20(Large).jpg

I always wonder what she's thinking when she does this. Maybe my awesome wit just blew her mind..

Hahahaaa!! She is adorable. And Charlotte reminds me of my 9 year old daughter who's into similar poses lately.

Is this new?

I believe it is! I noticed that on my last trip and I'm pretty sure I'd never seen it before.

I love the rainbow bokeh behind buddy.

Now you see me...

DSC_3942%20(Large).jpg

Now you don't..

DSC_3941%20(Large).jpg

Ahhhhh, you nailed those!!

That attic is my fave part of the ride.

Hahahaaa!! She is adorable. And Charlotte reminds me of my 9 year old daughter who's into similar poses lately.
Charlotte and her poses of late I tell you. A few years ago, she always had a leg up this way or that way, now its the hands.

I believe it is! I noticed that on my last trip and I'm pretty sure I'd never seen it before.
I wonder if there's a story behind it.

I love the rainbow bokeh behind buddy.
For once in my life, I actually wish the queue wasn't moving at a feverish pace. It never works out how you want it to. One of these days, I'm just going to hang back in the Indy queue and let others pass by. So much awesome stuff in there I've never shot and you are rushed through the first part due to how they have the FP and outer queue staged outside the building so to make it look more of a line.

Ahhhhh, you nailed those!!

That attic is my fave part of the ride.
So much going on in the attic. I wish it would break down so I could take it all in.

Having avoided becoming Happy Haunts #1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, and 1004, we determined some food was in order. A quick trip to the hub for a Turkey leg for Charlotte, but not before a quick trip through the Adventureland shops along the way.

I really wanted these... until I saw the price tag... $150... Holy moly. How they can justify that for a Hawaiian shirt is beyond me.

IMG_2268%20(Large).jpg

IMG_2269%20(Large).jpg

My tropic attire ambitions thwarted, I retrieved the Turkey leg and made my way back to Adventureland where Amy had got the kids a beef skewer and a pork belly skewer from the Bengal Barbeque.

On my way back to the group, Ostrich leg in hand, I came across this guy sporting a really cool Wall-E shirt

IMG_2273%20(Large).jpg

I arrived at a table they had secured and prepared to dissect the smoked T-rex leg and feed it to my waiting children like some sort of ancient raptor tending to his brood of newborn predators. The beef skewer was the normal yumminess. The pork belly was all together awesome and even the slaw and lettuce garnish was wolfed down with the rice wine vinegar sauce which accompanied it. YUM. We are huge fans of pork belly and there's usually some version of it on the smoker every weekend so this was great to see hitting something as mainstream as Disneyland.

My ravenous lot now satiated for the moment, we turned our attention to what we would do before we headed back to the room to get ready for some pool time. Indy had an agreeable wait for the standby line, so into it we jumped, and we progressed through the queue quite quickly. Here is where you guys are going to have to bear with me. I'm only like the world's biggest Indy fan and have a pretty much unsurpassed prop collection from the movies (only missing an ark quite frankly, but that's on the list one of these days). The queue I love, and I've never spent much time in the outdoor portion as we are usually rocking fast passes, so here's more than a few pics of it as I enjoyed its details...

DSC_4009%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4015%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4018%20(Large).jpg

Why did it have to be snakes?

DSC_4021%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4033%20(Large).jpg

Love the lighting coming through the jungle canopy. The river delta is perfection of theming.

DSC_4037%20(Large).jpg

I really wanted to climb this ladder..

DSC_4046%20(Large).jpg

Hmm... I get the distinct impression we shouldn't be looking around.

DSC_4059%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte was driving so we should have had our eyes closed, but somebody looked and spoiled it.

DSC_4074%20(Large).jpg

Can't shut that darn door.

DSC_4077%20(Large).jpg

I've taken a fair amount of shots of this over the years. This one is my favorite.

DSC_4081%20(Large).jpg

We reunited with Amy and Vic at Tarzan's Tree House (how I wish it was still the Swiss Family Robinson)

Monkey see monkey do

IMG_2285%20(Large).jpg

IMG_2289%20(Large).jpg

IMG_2298%20(Large).jpg

You are a family of awesomeness! Thanks for sharing your trip and pics of your beautiful girls!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter