Mashed Potatoes

I cook them in my instant pot and then mash with the masher with some warm milk,butter, salt and garlic powder.

Peel & cut-up some Yukon gold potatoes & place in salted water. Boil until tender & easily mashed. Using a potato masher, mash by hand while incorporating room-temperature cream & lots of butter. Mash until fluffy. Place in serving dish. Sprinkle w/ pepper, & place one little pat of butter on top.

I also like them mashed w/ cream cheese, but not for Thanksgiving.

I was watching a cooking show once, & whoever the chef was claimed that the true French preparation for mashed potatoes was something like a stick & 1/2 of butter for every pound of potatoes.

I use a lot of butter, but no where near that much.

For everyday I usually do instant. For Thanksgiving, Christmas and occasionally for no reason at all, I make a recipe from a slow cooker cookbook that my family absolutely loves. It has cream cheese, a little butter, sour cream, garlic salt and paprika.

No mixers, I hate that gluey texture they create. I use a "waffle" masher and muscle grease, plus real butter and milk, always at least room temp. (Never add cold ingredients to your spuds.)

For special occasions I make Wolfgang Puck's recipe; it includes roasted garlic and a pinch of nutmeg. https://www.arcamax.com/homeandleisure/recipes/wolfgangpuck/s-1813631?fs

This is a "waffle" masher. It works best, I find, for press force and quick elimination of lumps:

41XQZAtheqL._AC_AA300_.jpg

I like my mashed potatoes chunky and hand mashed, doesn't need to be perfectly peeled, and like just a few ingredients like cream cheese, milk, butter, chives, salt, and pepper. I wasn't going to make any this Thanksgiving because I bought a bag of the fake stuff for the kids as I mostly care about the turkey, cranberries, and casserole and they like the boxed. Now I'll just have to stop by the store to get some ingredients as seeing all the Thanksgiving items this week has me craving for freshly made now!

No mixers, I hate that gluey texture they create. I use a "waffle" masher and muscle grease, plus real butter and milk, always at least room temp. (Never add cold ingredients to your spuds.)

For special occasions I make Wolfgang Puck's recipe; it includes roasted garlic and a pinch of nutmeg. https://www.arcamax.com/homeandleisure/recipes/wolfgangpuck/s-1813631?fs

This is a "waffle" masher. It works best, I find, for press force and quick elimination of lumps:

41XQZAtheqL._AC_AA300_.jpg

That's the kind of masher I have (w/ a different handle), but I didn't know it was called a waffle masher.

Peel throw in pan with little water cook till done, mash with tater masher add evaporated milk n sour cream an butter

I use Yukon Gold potatoes. I peel them, cut them in to quarters or more depending on size, then boil them. I then drain them and put them back in to the pot that they were boiled in. I then take a hand mixer and mix them until just about smooth. I find that if you mix them when they are piping hot, the lumps come out better. I then add lots of butter, salt, pepper, milk or half and half. If I have it on hand I will add sour cream and of course roasted garlic if I'm making garlic mashed potatoes. I will use a spoon or spatula to mix everything in.

I use a hand mixer and "whip" them and I never find them to be gluey. I think some people tend to over mix.

I enjoy boiled Yukon Gold potatoes - sliced with the skin on, mashed up a little with lots of butter. But those are not mashed potatoes.

I do not want lumps or peel in my mashed potatoes. I do not want whipped potatoes. The easiest thing is to rice them - perfectly smooth and very fluffy. I don't peel them before I cook them as the ricer doesn't push the peel thru. I use lots of melted butter and warmed milk or half and half. Sometimes I add creme fraiche. Just a quick stir after the potatoes are riced and they are done.

Potato ricer:
41I7gNp6YcL._AC_US218_.jpg

I am like Regis Philbin once said about mashed potatoes, plain white 'virgin'. Hahahaha!!!
Use good Russet potatoes. Not regular/ cheaper / basic U.S. no. 1. thos are more 'sticky' and heavy and have more sticky type gluten???
peel and quarter... do not cut up too small... you don't want soup.
Simmer, do NOT boil, until tender and done. Again, if you boil, you might begin to end up with 'soup'.
Drain well, and break up with fork or potato masher, and let steam as dry as possible.
Add plenty of salt, and butter... mash WELL with potato masher. (no chunks for me!)
Add fresh whole milk, mixing with a mixing spoon (or my favorite is my RubberMaid spoon/spatula) until the right consistancy.

I peel and throw my 'taters in the instant pot with 1 c. of water and cook them. Then some unsweetened almond milk and Earth Balance and I mash them. I like some texture in my 'taters.

I enjoy boiled Yukon Gold potatoes - sliced with the skin on, mashed up a little with lots of butter. But those are not mashed potatoes.

I do not want lumps or peel in my mashed potatoes. I do not want whipped potatoes. The easiest thing is to rice them - perfectly smooth and very fluffy. I don't peel them before I cook them as the ricer doesn't push the peel thru. I use lots of melted butter and warmed milk or half and half. Sometimes I add creme fraiche. Just a quick stir after the potatoes are riced and they are done.

Potato ricer:
41I7gNp6YcL._AC_US218_.jpg

I was thinking about trying one of these. Not having to peel them sort of seals the deal. I avoid making them because I hate peeling raw potatoes.

I've never meet a potato I didn't like! I remember long ago having dinner at a friend's house and she served very lumpy mashed potatoes. I never had them like that before, but I ate them anyway. I remember on the way home my husband and I wondered if she didn't cook much. Took a while longer to find out some people just like them lumpy. I've enjoyed lumpy many times since

I used to use Yukon Gold,but I actually think nice big Russet potatoes make the best mashed. I do peel them and then use my kitchen aid mixer to whip them with lots of butter and cream and salt and pepper. If we want garlic mashed, I add a couple cloves of garlic to the water when boiling the potatoes.

For a holiday, I also,ate them the day before and keep in the crockpot. Then the day of, I reheat slowly and add more cream as they warm to make the light and fluffy.

One other thing I do which seems to help them not get gummy or pasty is to drain the boiled potatoes and cover them for two minutes to get any liquid to evaporate before mashing. Works every time.

No skin and no chunks

I have to be the one to do them every holiday, or whenever we have potatoes because DD will not eat anyone else's. No skin, no lumps or chunks and no added "green things".
I used to use sour cream and she was fine with that but now DGD has a dairy allergy so just dairy free margarine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter