• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

March Check-In Thread!

I can't wait to start reading trip reports when everyone returns. We are down to 9 days now!

Just checked weather (although I realize it could change for the 28th), but it forecasts 89 degrees! Crazy!

48 hours until I leave my house to board the plane to head west to go to Disney!!!

I'm excited!!

We are home now...just to bookend my arrival post (the only time I used my iPad the entire trip, how nice it felt to disconnect from life and re-connect with the family), we arrived home at 1:30 am last night *yawn*. Our plane out of SNA had mechanical problems, we flew to Vegas and, in a nice move on SW's part, they held the last plane to Denver until we (and two other families on our first flight) arrived.

We had a fantastic trip! Every one of my neurotic anxieties about crowds and weather turned out to be pretty much nothing. Yes, it was hot but, honestly, being 5200 feet closer to the sun here in CO must have improved my ability to deal, lol. Crowds seemed manageable to us, from a wait time perspective. Walking through the lands was exhausting at times. We tried to take nap break most days; on Monday, we returned to the room to take a nap around 4 pm and all 5 of us slept until 5 am the next morning, right through dinner. Guess we were a little tired. ;)

We loved RSR so much. Rode it 5 times. My DH, oldest DS and I enjoyed California Screamin'. The castle looked great. Aladdin is the best show at any US Disney park. My two youngers were tall enough for Indiana Jones this trip and loved it. A couple times we stumbled on casual meet and greets including Pluto sitting on a bench by himself at DLH, so awesome. We were wearing Haunted Mansion shirts one day and the CMs there piled into our photos and then "stole" the phone and took a bunch of selfies of themselves...so sweet and a fun memory of our favorite ride! We did the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package. Food was, surprisingly great, and waterside table was enchanting. The Fantasmic seating was a bust though. The spot reserved for BB was way too small for the number of diners to all have a good view. We showed up 5 minutes before our FP time opened and we were at least 150 people back. My kids did not see well over the tall people in front and were too tired to stand. It wasn't anything like the positive experiences I have read here. As a result, my DH made me cancel our WOC dining package and just chance a regular FP. We showed up 30 minutes early for our FP time and none of us saw anything other than the lights higher up. Lol, oh well. Both shows, from what I saw, looked wonderful (Fantasmic was so much better than WDW's, for sure) but seeing them seems to be such an impossible challenge that I doubt we will try again.

We walked into see Olaf with no wait half an hour before park closing! Definitely do it then, a disboarder gave that advice and it worked like as charm! No one was waiting for Marshmallow at that time either.

We split between Hojo's and DL Hotel. Loved them both. We have stayed at Hojo's before and found it even better than the earlier trip. We stayed in a premium Disney view room and it was lovely, Paradise Pier was visible, along with DL icons. Most comfortable hotel beds EVER. Boys love watching monorail coast by. Only two things...water park noise was intense, even on the top floor of building 1, and I wish there were chairs on the balcony to enjoy the view. We would return in a heart beat.

So much about DL Hotel we loved, the decor, the grounds, the pool, Trader Sam's...but I had a terrible experience checking in. Long story but I don't want this to seem overly negative because it was a blip in an otherwise wonderful experience so pm if you want the full story, but the front desk CM was very dismissive that we used orbitz ("orbitz people don't get to make room requests" that is a quote and very untrue, of course) and her supervisor ("we don't have a manager on duty at 7 am so no you can't talk to him") was nearly as bad. You know it is bad when, as they went back to confer, another CM whom I won't out publicly whispered to me "You have got to report this! I am going to say something too." and a wonderful lady at Bell Services team handed us a bunch of guest recovery FPs, as we had missed MM by that point. So, it totally turned out ok, our room was in Fantasy Tower in the end and the FPs helped us, but, if the trip is important to you (as I have mentioned it was my DS's birthday celebration), be aware there is a bias against hotel discounters by some employees of DLH. :(

In addition to BB, we ate at Minnie's and Goofy's Kitchen (was not expecting this but we much preferred Minnie's!) and toured the various lounges, Cove Bar, Trader Sam's, etc. Got a Kitchen Sink from PCH Grill (a total let down, just go to girardhelli's instead, especially anyone who has had a kitchen sink at WDW). The corn dog castle was worth the calories! I could go for one right now! Boys liked Earl of Sandwich best, LOL, since it was near to DLH and they kept texting coupons, we hit it a few times.

I didn't take the Photopass photographers advice to look at my photos daily. Gulp, crossing my fingers, we shall see how many are actually there when I log in later today!

Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer! I didn't scratch the surface. :)

We are home now...just to bookend my arrival post (the only time I used my iPad the entire trip, how nice it felt to disconnect from life and re-connect with the family), we arrived home at 1:30 am last night *yawn*. Our plane out of SNA had mechanical problems, we flew to Vegas and, in a nice move on SW's part, they held the last plane to Denver until we (and two other families on our first flight) arrived.

We had a fantastic trip! Every one of my neurotic anxieties about crowds and weather turned out to be pretty much nothing. Yes, it was hot but, honestly, being 5200 feet closer to the sun here in CO must have improved my ability to deal, lol. Crowds seemed manageable to us, from a wait time perspective. Walking through the lands was exhausting at times. We tried to take nap break most days; on Monday, we returned to the room to take a nap around 4 pm and all 5 of us slept until 5 am the next morning, right through dinner. Guess we were a little tired. ;)

We loved RSR so much. Rode it 5 times. My DH, oldest DS and I enjoyed California Screamin'. The castle looked great. Aladdin is the best show at any US Disney park. My two youngers were tall enough for Indiana Jones this trip and loved it. A couple times we stumbled on casual meet and greets including Pluto sitting on a bench by himself at DLH, so awesome. We were wearing Haunted Mansion shirts one day and the CMs there piled into our photos and then "stole" the phone and took a bunch of selfies of themselves...so sweet and a fun memory of our favorite ride! We did the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package. Food was, surprisingly great, and waterside table was enchanting. The Fantasmic seating was a bust though. The spot reserved for BB was way too small for the number of diners to all have a good view. We showed up 5 minutes before our FP time opened and we were at least 150 people back. My kids did not see well over the tall people in front and were too tired to stand. It wasn't anything like the positive experiences I have read here. As a result, my DH made me cancel our WOC dining package and just chance a regular FP. We showed up 30 minutes early for our FP time and none of us saw anything other than the lights higher up. Lol, oh well. Both shows, from what I saw, looked wonderful (Fantasmic was so much better than WDW's, for sure) but seeing them seems to be such an impossible challenge that I doubt we will try again.

We walked into see Olaf with no wait half an hour before park closing! Definitely do it then, a disboarder gave that advice and it worked like as charm! No one was waiting for Marshmallow at that time either.

We split between Hojo's and DL Hotel. Loved them both. We have stayed at Hojo's before and found it even better than the earlier trip. We stayed in a premium Disney view room and it was lovely, Paradise Pier was visible, along with DL icons. Most comfortable hotel beds EVER. Boys love watching monorail coast by. Only two things...water park noise was intense, even on the top floor of building 1, and I wish there were chairs on the balcony to enjoy the view. We would return in a heart beat.

So much about DL Hotel we loved, the decor, the grounds, the pool, Trader Sam's...but I had a terrible experience checking in. Long story but I don't want this to seem overly negative because it was a blip in an otherwise wonderful experience so pm if you want the full story, but the front desk CM was very dismissive that we used orbitz ("orbitz people don't get to make room requests" that is a quote and very untrue, of course) and her supervisor ("we don't have a manager on duty at 7 am so no you can't talk to him") was nearly as bad. You know it is bad when, as they went back to confer, another CM whom I won't out publicly whispered to me "You have got to report this! I am going to say something too." and a wonderful lady at Bell Services team handed us a bunch of guest recovery FPs, as we had missed MM by that point. So, it totally turned out ok, our room was in Fantasy Tower in the end and the FPs helped us, but, if the trip is important to you (as I have mentioned it was my DS's birthday celebration), be aware there is a bias against hotel discounters by some employees of DLH. :(

In addition to BB, we ate at Minnie's and Goofy's Kitchen (was not expecting this but we much preferred Minnie's!) and toured the various lounges, Cove Bar, Trader Sam's, etc. Got a Kitchen Sink from PCH Grill (a total let down, just go to girardhelli's instead, especially anyone who has had a kitchen sink at WDW). The corn dog castle was worth the calories! I could go for one right now! Boys liked Earl of Sandwich best, LOL, since it was near to DLH and they kept texting coupons, we hit it a few times.

I didn't take the Photopass photographers advice to look at my photos daily. Gulp, crossing my fingers, we shall see how many are actually there when I log in later today!

Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer! I didn't scratch the surface. :)

Sounds like you had a great trip.

Thanks for sharing about the end of day meet-n-greet for Olaf and Marshmallow. I've missed that (specific) tip, and I am hoping to get a lot of autographs this trip.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

Thanks for sharing about the end of day meet-n-greet for Olaf and Marshmallow. I've missed that (specific) tip, and I am hoping to get a lot of autographs this trip.

Just FYI, neither autograph (marshmallow is really just a statue) but Olaf does draw a self portrait...really cute!

Just FYI, neither autograph (marshmallow is really just a statue) but Olaf does draw a self portrait...really cute!

Thanks. I thought I had heard that though neither autographed, they had a stamp. And sign, draw, autograph, doodle, I'm not worried. I have the autograph card ready for each of them, just in case. And I've had other characters at WDW that don't "sign" try to when they see that I've made a special page for them "just in case" (King Louie was the funniest).

Wow, that's nuts about how rude that CM was! I'm glad the other one had your back!

I'm hanging out in bed at our hotel. This is our down day and can I just say thank God I made sure to have one day to relax!!!! I will definitely explain why when I get home and start my trip report but let's just say my legs and feet are thanking me today.

We are right next to the Garden Walk so we had lunch at Bubba Gump's. This was mostly for my DH because I don't eat seafood. I got a burger, as I have done many times before when eating at this place, but mine was not good this time. Sad. But it was still fun and I guess luckily I wasn't all that hungry anyway so I don't feel completely let down by it.

We are heading to Downtown Disney for dinner at Earl of Sandwich and do some last minute souvenir shopping before leaving bright and early tomorrow.

Getting my last things together and packed. Scheduled to leave the house in 1 hour and 18 minutes. (Yeah, I'm that guy, lol).

4 hours to the airport (with stops for gas and any last minute items I have forgotten or don't have *cough* Tylenol *cough*, 2 hours to get through TSA, 6 hour travel time (including lay-overs) and I should be landing in LA about 8 pm PDST.

I'm excited, and kind of bummed. Cause now it's time to remove my ticker to this vacation.

And fantastic news for our trip on the last day of March--Splash Mountain is off the refurb list! Happy dance!

Checking in! Last minute trip for just my wife and I, Sunday through Wednesday.

For those of you there now, or recently back, were there lots of cute Easter gifts?

I didn't see a single Easter thing. I was a little disappointed and even had hoped that the Round up at Big Thunder might start while we were there but no luck, in fact, it still had Christmas decorations up!

Certainly though, stuff should start appearing soon!

No, there weren't ANY spring decorations/merchandise whatsoever when I was there last week, which kind of makes me mad because they used to decorate Big Thunder Ranch and the Main Street windows for spring much earlier. Now they have that Spring Roundup event over in the Festival Arena so they wait all the way until spring officially begins before they do anything Easter related. All of that stuff started yesterday, so anyone going between now and Easter will probably have better luck.

Here now and it looks like someone had a heart attack right when World of Color started.

I can see paramedics doing CPR, and they've called out "CLEAR!" two different times and used a defibrillator.

Prayers for the family. This has to be stressful.

Looks like they have them stabilized. They have stopped CPR and wheeled the person away on a gurney. They did not appear rushed while leaving, so I'm going to hope that's a good sign.

Getting my last things together and packed. Scheduled to leave the house in 1 hour and 18 minutes. (Yeah, I'm that guy, lol).

4 hours to the airport (with stops for gas and any last minute items I have forgotten or don't have *cough* Tylenol *cough*, 2 hours to get through TSA, 6 hour travel time (including lay-overs) and I should be landing in LA about 8 pm PDST.

I'm excited, and kind of bummed. Cause now it's time to remove my ticker to this vacation.

Like maaan.....where are you coming from? :faint: :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter