Marathon Weekend 2024

So is this a good time to ask about how it went with volunteers/staffing? Haven’t heard any complaints, which I’m guessing is good?
Did anyone experience the water/powerade station volunteers kept getting closer and closer to the middle of the road as the race went on? I felt towards the end they were making it hard for several runners to come through the station at once.

Did any other goofy challengers get handed both dopey and goofy medals? 😂 I had to try to hand dopey back 3 times. She kept telling me I got both. Idk if I went to the wrong side but the cast member directing traffic said go to either side.

Did any other goofy challengers get handed both dopey and goofy medals? 😂 I had to try to hand dopey back 3 times. She kept telling me I got both. Idk if I went to the wrong side but the cast member directing traffic said go to either side.
The First Lady I went by was handing 2 medals to buy in front of me (not sure if he was Dopey or Goofy) and then looked like she was going to do the same to me. I guy behind her reached over right in her face to give me just the Goofy one. 🤷‍♀️

I did the Goofy as well, I went to the first person on the right. I told her I did the Goofy and she handed me the correct medal, I believe she checked my bib as well.

Did anyone experience the water/powerade station volunteers kept getting closer and closer to the middle of the road as the race went on? I felt towards the end they were making it hard for several runners to come through the station at once.
Yes. It was annoying and lots of empty water bottles rolling around on the course.

Oh hey, one thing I just remembered from cheering today - there was a group handing out fruit snacks and pretzels and applesauce near me (just past the mile 25 marker), and nobody told them to stop. So for future reference, it doesn't seem like Disney is too strict about not giving stuff out along the course!

Finished! ✅ @Mr_Incr3dible caught up with me at around the Poly and we finished the race together. Thanks for being my running buddy today!

I was not expecting/prepared for rain this morning and ducked into the Gaston bathrooms to check the radar. Once I saw it was going to be a quick hit, I decided that I would stop at the med tent backstage and grab some Vaseline. Slathered up my feet, wrung out my socks, and got back to it. Other than that, the race went how I figured it would for me…..I got through the first 10 well, mile 15 ok, and then “just finished” the rest. This may have been a Disney marathon PR for me? I’m not sure. Andrew had us really power walking when I usually just stroll along. And I’m really bad at stopping my watch at the finish line 😂

Everest was standby/single rider when we came through and the CM said both were 30min, so we didn’t wait. By the time we got to HS stopping for a ride was going to be a terrible idea because I’m not sure I would have stood back up.

If we join DATW it will be at 2:00 for us as well; MK medal pics are getting priority. Please post an update in here for that if we do make it over!

Eta: it looks like I did pick up some small blisters on the tips of a few toes, but nothing that appears serious and no chafing.
My pleasure. As I told you, today was the first time I’ve had a running partner, and it sure helped make the miles go by. And your intervals also contributed to us finishing with a pretty good time.
I am still rather miffed about Exp Everest…
I talked to someone who because of the EE wait did rock ‘n’ roll roller coaster, and had a 10 minute wait is all. Just dang.

You can add me to team BB-5. We're still rolling, just not as smoothly as BB-8.

I saw that segment and thought it was pretty cringe. It's one thing to allow people to take a risk like that. It's completely different (and unacceptable, imo) to glorify it by drawing attention to it. Maybe I'm overthinking, but to me, making that part of the official pre-race festivities was a tacit endorsement.
I have a memory of one of our basketball players playing on a broken ankle, because they said that particular bone was not loadbearing, so he was able to do it. Maybe this was similar. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can fill in.
“Dammit Jim, I’m an engineer not a doctor.”

I’m probably in the minority here, but I loved the rain 😊 I overheat in tank/shorts above 50, so to not have the sunrise turn the Florida oven on like my previous races here was lovely. I also wasn’t surprised by it- my app showed rain at 8am when I checked just before the start (though I guess it was a bit earlier?). I was just sad there was no Disney music playing, as my go-to rainy run move is to belt Disney songs. If I had to gripe about something, and I’m getting picky here, it would be the music. I can listen to Beyoncé at any race- hearing her through two parks was odd for my brain, as I just don’t associate regular music with that, and I wish for those sections it was just Disney tunes 🤷‍♀️

At the end of Main Street in the garden to the right was a young lady doing a fantastic job with medal photos. I have attached what she did for the goofy and dopey challenges and I have Hi-res versions of these photos if anyone is interested and if there is a way to put hi-res versions on the forum

Attachments

• IMG_9647.jpeg
    IMG_9647.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9646.jpeg
    IMG_9646.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 50
I finished! My fourth Dopey and fifth Disney marathon. I set a PR in the 5K, 10K and marathon this weekend. The hardest of the rain hit while I was at Blizzard Beach which was a nice distraction from the parking lot.

As always, the race was a lot of fun. I think I'm going to head back out and watch some runners at Hollywood Studios.

Spectating is my new favorite! It was so much fun, especially cheering in the back of the pack for the last few hours at Epcot. Everyone loved the tissues, so thanks to whomever suggested I bring those!

Also thanks to the fellow DISer who joined me! I've totally spaced your screen name 😆 but it was fun making noise with you.

ETA: It was @superchime !
It was very nice to see y’all on the course. I was worn “slap dab out” and seeing y’all gave me a boost! Thanks!

Oh hey, one thing I just remembered from cheering today - there was a group handing out fruit snacks and pretzels and applesauce near me (just past the mile 25 marker), and nobody told them to stop. So for future reference, it doesn't seem like Disney is too strict about not giving stuff out along the course!
Good to know! They didn't hassle me one bit over the tissues.

So I'm in magic kingdom waiting for fireworks near other runners and one said they heard a baby was born at mile 17?
Had to be a spectator right? Who in their right mind would run a marathon while 9 months pregnant?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter