Marathon Weekend 2024

It was a fun time, even though it was crowded. I like the medals so much this year! I was glad of the cooling towel, and it was so nice at pop with celebration buttons. I really hope Everest is open this year. I skipped last year as I was too worried about finishing but it is on my goals for this year's marathon.

When do you stop getting super nervous about your races? This is going to be marathon #4 for me, and I’ve had nerves about it all day off and on

I won't tell you not to worry (see below), but I will tell you you've got this. Once you're in the corral and the fireworks go off you'll find your rhythm and the doubts will fade into the background as you focus on the run. This isn't your first rodeo and you've got the experience to make adjustments on the fly if any are needed (and they probably won't be).

at the finish line
@Z-Knight has it right. I always have the jitters about a race right up until I know I'm going to finish. It doesn't matter how many times I've done a distance, I'm questioning myself right up until the start and then it's about hoping a leg doesn't fall off during.

I forgot who asked about corral C but it was basically a double wide today and they seem to have let the right side out first. I purposely went left today because that side moved much faster when you get to the sharp turn for the start line. So if it’s the same tomorrow go right and then once you get into the chute move left.

Do you mean that point at which the stream of people splits? Go right? and then move over to the left of the crowd?

Corral C was SO huge. I got there early and was close to the front when it was almost empty, but I wasn't sure exactly where in the "front" to be, and once we stood up a lot of people pushed past me, and once we got moving a lot more pushed past and I ended up in Wave 4 when I was probably among the first 40-50n people there.

Last year I finished the marathon with the balloon ladies, and this year I'm already tired so I want to start as far from the back as possible so I hopefully have enough time to finish.

I'm lucky I was put in Corral C. It doesn't make any sense because I didn't provide a time, and last year I was in the last corral.

When do you stop getting super nervous about your races? This is going to be marathon #4 for me, and I’ve had nerves about it all day off and on
I'll be there with tissues just before MK and you can text me anytime for a dose of encouragement!

Anyone who needs a bit of cheering, feel free to DM me and I'll give you my number.

I’m glad you said that because I also thought there was way more pushing to the front than I’ve seen before. It was a 7.12 mile race that you could never use for any qualifying time, but you want to be close to the front, rats off to you. And the pushing was aggressive. I had a Brazilian group shove me to the side to cut to the front, so I had the true theme park experience. Even though I started close the to start line, it was horrendously congested. Oddly enough after I took a pit stop at the first porta potty, the course completely opened up.
Agreed. The pushing has been worse than ever in A. I was close to the front all three days and have had to work hard to hold my spot, especially for the 5K and 10K walks from the corral to the start. I loved having the corral in place at the start today.

I have to give rundisney some credit here, hard decisions for sure but I’m always in the safety first camp. The course was tough with all the narrow spaces but I still feel like they did a great job shuffling plans and getting everything set up overnight. The CM’s were incredible today, they really showed up.

I’m embracing the short course and the extra rest it allowed me. My toenail that I have been nursing since October decided to split at the base After the 10k. 😳 I ran alright with it today but was aware of its presence. It’s on life support. Hoping to make it through the race tomorrow with it in tact!

Hi everyone! I’m getting ready to release a dinner reservation for tomorrow at Storybook Dining at Artist Point (with Dopey!) for two (2) people @ 7 PM. I’ll cancel it in a few minutes @ 4 PM today.

Agreed. The pushing has been worse than ever in A. I was close to the front all three days and have had to work hard to hold my spot, especially for the 5K and 10K walks from the corral to the start. I loved having the corral in place at the start today.
Hearing about pushing in corral A makes me giggle because I would kill to be in A and not have to stand around for ~40 minutes after the start. 😝

I never got any thunder that I heard but I know there was a chance. The rain was never any harder than Boston this year so the race was possible but it is what it is. Having it shortened sort of took the "race" aspect out of it for me so I could enjoy an easy run with characters.

I never got any thunder that I heard but I know there was a chance. The rain was never any harder than Boston this year so the race was possible but it is what it is. Having it shortened sort of took the "race" aspect out of it for me so I could enjoy an easy run with characters.
I *should* have done that, but there were not any characters that appealed to me enough to wait, it looked like at least 20 minutes for any of them, for some the CMs were saying 45 minutes.
I thought I was going to get a pre-race picture with Goofy, and they took him away just moments before I was due for my picture. Dang.

Last edited:
The weather is looking absolutely perfect for tomorrow, and I'm totally jealous! I'll be cheering you on at mile 8 and again at Epcot. Feel free to hand anything off you don't want (going to DATW and I'm on site until Wednesday) or DM me drink or snack orders for the finish.

Best of luck to everyone running! You got this!

That’s because there was not a single lightning strike within 100 miles of Orlando. My weather app did not indicate any lightning at all yesterday, just rain. This was the first Disney race since I started in 2011 that I actually stopped for a photo on the course, because the race did not matter at all. I enjoyed my time because I enjoy running, and I was glad I didn’t have to suffer through an 89% humidity half. But we lost a half marathon over a drizzle. A light drizzle.

Attachments

• IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 6

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter