Marathon Weekend 2024

It’s 2:15 AM, I am up, I’m dressed, I’m eating my breakfast, I have everything ready to go… And I’m still not sure if this race is actually going to happen or that if it does I’m even going to do it. The storm is not looking good at all and it’s moving in pretty fast, I’m worried about what’s happening at home which is stupid because there’s nothing I can actually do about it from here other than remind my young adult son where to shelter if there’s a tornado warning, but somehow I feel like I’d be more accessible not in the middle of a race in the storm myself. Anyway, it’s been a stressful a few hours of poor sleep and a run is probably exactly what I need right now lol! This was supposed to be my last half for the foreseeable future and it just would’ve been nice to know at the end of wine and dine that that was going to be it instead. Such is life in FL!

A gentle reminder from your invisible Internet, Floridian friend, that lightning kills, and no DIY race is worth that. Please be smart and safe, no matter what you choose to do today!

Or another idea, give people the option tomorrow. Just have a cutoff point and if you don’t make it to the cutoff point, you turn back and do the 7.2 but if you can reach the cutoff point by a certain time, let them go. It has the exact same effect/impact. People can decide to stop for characters or make the 13.1.
Selfishly I wish this was what they went with but it is what it is. Maybe logistically it’s not that simple. Or maybe they wanted to make sure all people had an actual finish line to cross.

They did write a blurb about as long as challenge participants hold the 16min pace they’ll still get their challenge medals tomorrow and I was just thinking how they don’t even verify completion for all days except the marathon so it doesn’t even matter if someone finishes today or not. As long as they finish tomorrow they’ll get their goofy/dopey medal.

And away we go…I guess. Getting ready to head out. My wife and daughter are running today also. Wife is happy that the race is cut because she hasn’t trained since her surgery a few months ago. My daughter is not happy it’s cut. She just came out with her costume and she has a white costume. Doh! Good thing she has black underneath. I ditched any themed gear for the weekend and went with the backup normal running gear for the rain. Part of me wonders if it wasn’t best to just skip today and rest up for the full marathon run tomorrow.

Now trying to decide how long we can sit in the car before heading to the corral? LOL. Good luck to those braving the thunder storm seven today!

It’s 2:15 AM, I am up, I’m dressed, I’m eating my breakfast, I have everything ready to go… And I’m still not sure if this race is actually going to happen or that if it does I’m even going to do it. The storm is not looking good at all and it’s moving in pretty fast, I’m worried about what’s happening at home which is stupid because there’s nothing I can actually do about it from here other than remind my young adult son where to shelter if there’s a tornado warning, but somehow I feel like I’d be more accessible not in the middle of a race in the storm myself. Anyway, it’s been a stressful a few hours of poor sleep and a run is probably exactly what I need right now lol! This was supposed to be my last half for the foreseeable future and it just would’ve been nice to know at the end of wine and dine that that was going to be it instead. Such is life in FL!

A gentle reminder from your invisible Internet, Floridian friend, that lightning kills, and no DIY race is worth that. Please be smart and safe, no matter what you choose to do today!
The later part I know is about running after but I just want to say. Like I know this is apparently an unpopular opinion in some circles but I would rather have a race director be overly cautious and make the call early to do something that is safer for the athletes than put their head in the sand

(looking at you Flying Pig that went off in the middle of a thunderstorm this year. Great way to tell your disabled athletes how little we actually matter among other things. Yes I will forever be bitter about this. Thank god I wasn’t participating because apparently me having any faith in the RD would have put me in danger)

I'm on the bus from Coronado and I just saw two ladies running on the street loop around the resort. Kudos to those that got up extra early (or just never slept?!) to start with 6 miles.

Yeah I saw on my FB feed some friends that were preemptively logging their lost miles. So their definitely not the only one.

Good luck to everyone today.

Currently sitting in the monorail just before the TTC not moving. Apparently another monorail needs a maintenance check. I’m hoping we get going soon.

@PrincessV you might’ve shared it already, but what site are you using to track the storm? Signed, a clueless northerner.

Hello from Peach, heading to Epcot now.

If the weather holds after the race I’m going to run or walk some maddening loops around the Poly to finish it out. Cheers to those of y’all who were running when I left the resort, that’s too early even for me.

On the bus from Pop Century.
I hear you on running the extra miles to finish the half mileage, but with a marathon tomorrow, I don’t think I’m gonna worry about it today. Doing so would either mean, trying to do it in the rain, or this afternoon after the rain passes. That means the metal will always have a bit of an asterisk, but, that was beyond my control
The Goofy Race and a 1/4…

I awkwardly walked by where I thought the meeting spot was, but saw a bunch of Team in Training people there so I got nervous and headed to the corrals. Was I in the wrong place? Can someone explain it to me like I’m 3 so I don’t have an excuse for tomorrow?

I awkwardly walked by where I thought the meeting spot was, but saw a bunch of Team in Training people there so I got nervous and headed to the corrals. Was I in the wrong place? Can someone explain it to me like I’m 3 so I don’t have an excuse for tomorrow?
You were in the right place! They've taken over our spot a bit but we are in front of them, by the Pho Wheels truck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter