• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

Whew! Forgot about ADRs this AM but was able to get everything just now. Gotta have my Mama Melrose chicken parm before the marathon.

giphy.gif

Since pin inventory are apparently a debacle for W&D already.... Anyone want to split the pin packages for MW? We only collect the distance pins, so if someone wants the "I did it" pins and someone wants the mini medal replicas I would be down to split the cost. We will be at the HH meetup, or I'd be happy to meet up at the expo or even at one of the pre-race morning meetups.
NM! I was going to volunteer to split but then I saw you said the Dopey package is sold out. I’m going to try to my luck in getting an early group and if I do I’d be happy to shop for anyone who is worried about specific items selling out.

SAFD:
Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! This week is an update on training. We are now facing longer and longer runs and if you are doing a challenge also the back to back days. So how is it going? And since we all started sharing ADR’s this week (thanks @Herding_Cats) please share what you got if you want. After all, all this running means we can eat all the good stuff!

I am feeling pretty good, getting past the issues I have had with my knee. I am running slower and keeping my ratios at 30/30 on the long runs. Over the next few weeks I will do some more pick ups but I have decided to simply focus on being able to run and will go into this Dopey with no time expectation. Things are going well! As far as ADR’s: my family is hitting our favorites: Beaches & Cream, Boma, Crystal Palace, Garden Grill and Jungle Navigation. I just love the breakfast buffets!

For those at Wine & Dine Weekend, I hope your races went well!

Last edited:

SAFD:
I have had a chest cold for about a week now, and training has been rough. I'm supposed to run 7mi today, and I think I'll probably walk it instead. I'd be lying if I didn't say that having a couple of less-than-great weeks of training, followed by this, wasn't messing with my head regarding my fitness level and the fact that we are 60 days out from races. I know that I'll be fine by race weekend, but right now.....ugh. My back-to-back days start next week and I'm not particularly looking forward to them, but I know that they are what will prepare me for January.

On the ADR front, I got Sanaa, Morimoto, Homecomin, Spice Road Table (fireworks package), and Tiffins (as a post-Dopey/birthday celebration dinner) which I'm hoping to move to a later time on Monday evening since I didn't decide to add that until last night. I probably could have gotten a later time no-problem if I had thought about it on Thursday.

SAFD: training is going well. I’m so glad I decided to scale down to 4 days of running and keep it easy since work is crazy busy. Some nights it takes all the discipline I have in me to get the miles in.

As for ADRs, we got mostly what we were looking for, only had to change the day of our Topolino’s brunch. I’m hoping to be able to pick it up later for Saturday after the half.

SAFD: Training was going well for most of October. Then things fell apart a little with all the rain and Halloween activities. Then I caught a cold. I had just really recovered from my first cold in early October. I haven't run in a week at this point and yesterday I spent some time completely rearranging my training plan to account for missing an 8 miler this weekend. I'm feeling a bit anxious at this point, but all I can do is move forward and try to get those miles in! I normally wouldn't be too bothered, but having committed to the Coast to Coast and it being back to back solo trips for me (leaving DH and our 3 boys home alone two weekends in a row) I feel like I can't fail after investing all this time and money.

On a happier note, got my Beaches and Cream reservation and added one for Le Cellier. Le Cellier is a bit later than I would like though so I might cancel or try to move earlier.

I set my alarm for 2:45 and 2:50 this morning (West Coast) and promptly fell back asleep before 3. :headache:

I woke up at 3:45 and was still able to get Via Napoli for Friday night and Beaches and Cream for Saturday afternoon. However, I was unable to get the time I wanted for Via Napoli. I was aiming for 5 and I got 7:40 but then modified it to 3:25. My new plan is to order a larger pizza than I would have and take the leftovers back to the room.

SAFD: Training has been going well, getting in almost all of my scheduled runs and logging more miles than last year at this time.

I’ve been spending some time tinkering with equipment - for long runs I normally run with a Fitletic belt with bottles (two built in ones and two I slip on the belt for longer runs). I like it well enough but sometimes get tired of the bouncing around, especially with all four bottles. After seeing many vests at last year’s marathon and thinking I’d like to carry my own water this year and have a few more pockets for stuff, I had been wanting to try one out so have done a couple of recent runs with a Salomon Sense Pro 5. Other than the absurd price, I really like it so far, so I’m going to continue to test out to see if that’s something I want to use for the marathon.

Also feeling like I better come up with a shoe plan sometime soon.

I find this upcoming two months the hardest - the weather has turned (I dislike cold weather running) and so many family/work/life functions and travel, excuses abound. Last year the ‘fear’ of my first Dopey kept me motivated…gotta find a way to stay at it this year too.

I'm starting training for DL since DopeyBadger has put together a plan for me! I did a 10K in Houston last week, where it was 73 degrees and a dewpoint of 73. If my cousin who is born and raised in Houston says it's steamy, then my Denver self definitely found it humid. I've taken it easy this past week with a Peloton Halloween cycle, body weight strength training, and some acupuncture yesterday to help my muscles recover. I was supposed to have a sports massage today but I got a text saying he's sick, and I escheduled for next weekend. I'll be doing my first run later this morning to get my legs turning over a little bit and yes, I'll listening to Christmas music :) It makes me happy.

I’m starting Princes Half training tomorrow (finally feeling better after a week sick), and part of that is training for the 10k. I hope to PR, which should be doable since my current 10k PR came during a fast finish training run, haha. I’m worried about getting back to running after almost a month off, between illness and vacation, but the weather here is gorgeous now so I hope that will help my speed!

SAFD:

Decidedly not great, I'm hitting my mileage as mainly walking with a little bit of light jogging mixed in. I'll probably finish my C2C, likely just under the wire, but it'll be a slog through the whole dang thing.

Not looking forward to walking 70 miles in 2 weeks, not counting any parks time. That's life I guess 🤷‍♂️

SAFD:

Decidedly not great, I'm hitting my mileage as mainly walking with a little bit of light jogging mixed in. I'll probably finish my C2C, likely just under the wire, but it'll be a slog through the whole dang thing.

Not looking forward to walking 70 miles in 2 weeks, not counting any parks time. That's life I guess 🤷‍♂️

SAFD: I can relate to Grabnar. I am struggling with sticking to the training schedule. It's hard with how little daylight I have outside of work hours.

My goal is to finish, ideally without being miserable the whole time. I keep telling myself that every mile I do in training will make the event incrementally more enjoyable.

SAFD: I can relate to Grabnar. I am struggling with sticking to the training schedule. It's hard with how little daylight I have outside of work hours.

My goal is to finish, ideally without being miserable the whole time. I keep telling myself that every mile I do in training will make the event incrementally more enjoyable.
Rear guard party crew :jester:

SAFD: Training isn't really going at all right now. As I tried to start back up after a couple of weeks' recovery from my race, I found I had apparently strained a medial hamstring during the race. I've only gotten a couple of runs in to test it out here and there. Additionally, we’re having a major audit at work next week that would likely prevent mid-week runs from happening at all. Taking it all into consideration, I elected to not run this weekend and rest it through to next weekend. Hopefully that’ll get things back to a point where I can pick back up.

SAFD: Training has been going very well. DopeyBadger has had me slow way down for my easy runs (cause even if I felt they were easy, they weren't really. And I can feel my recovery is much much better this time because of that). I did a Half as a catered training run last Sunday and I had a blast, finishing almost DFL.

As per my habit, I booked more ADRs than planned. I always get into the habit of "Aw why not this? And that?" and then DH complains that we spend too much on food. I booked Garden Grill as a post-5k celebration with DS, Cape May Café for Saturday brunch, Toledo for Sunday dinner and Artist Point for Monday night to take a picture with Dopey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter