Marathon Weekend 2023

On a serious note, the guilt of leaving my kids for such a long time is setting in. Last year they cried when they dropped me off at the airport. I know I’m a great mom and it’s important for me to do my own thing but it’s still hard. They’ll be home w my husband for a few days and then he will fly down and meet me. I really enjoyed the solo time last year and I know I will again this week. I just have to manage the guilt.
I can relate to the guilt of leaving the kids behind! It's always hard, but DH and I keep doing it!

SAFD: Worried about recovery from covid. Today is day 9 I think? My chest is clear so that’s good. I went outside for a walk today - not any real mileage, just checking out the field after the storm, and I’m definitely still feeling the fatigue. Could I walk a few flat miles today? Probably. We’ll see what Friday, Saturday and Sunday bring. I’ll walk a lot and run a little and see what happens. Still hard to accept the fact that I may not finish any race.

I’m getting worried about travel again. Southwest seems to have gotten more under control, and the flight we’re on on Wednesday morning hasn’t had problems the last few days, but now there’s another storm coming. Even though I don’t think it’s supposed to be too significant here, we all know that doesn’t matter if it causes issues elsewhere. :(

I’m also getting increasingly anxious about the race itself. I have not trained the way I should have, and so I know it will be slow. I really just want to finish.

SAFD: Worried about recovery from covid. Today is day 9 I think? My chest is clear so that’s good. I went outside for a walk today - not any real mileage, just checking out the field after the storm, and I’m definitely still feeling the fatigue. Could I walk a few flat miles today? Probably. We’ll see what Friday, Saturday and Sunday bring. I’ll walk a lot and run a little and see what happens. Still hard to accept the fact that I may not finish any race.
Take it easy and hope you continue to recover.

SAFD- mostly stressed about the travel. I cancelled my back up frontier flight today and also my weather back up for Wednesday morning. Praying I didn’t call it too early on those. Supposed to leave late afternoon Tuesday on sw.

I’m not worried about any race logistics as I’ve done enough run disney to know what’s coming. Not worried about finishing either. Unless something crazy happens I’m well trained and I’m not doing the full so I feel good about them all.

Not too concerned about weather either. I bought my throwaway clothes last week and I have plenty of tried and true cold weather gear. For those of you that hate cold, make sure you have a fleece hat or hood. It makes a big difference in keeping you warm.

My other big stressor is food and worrying about food poisoning. I have severe anxiety about eating out and getting sick from it. To the point where I make myself feel sick even though I’m not.

Have not started packing as we’re currently on a mini family getaway for new years. Headed home tomorrow to do laundry and pack. Packing list is already made and printed.

SAFD - Pretty chill over here. Even though I’ve never been to MW, I’ve done several other race weekends, so logistics is familiar enough. I think being solo for this trip is making it easier because I know I will pack and be ready to go. Usually one of my major stressors is whether my family will actually be packed and ready. I’m watching the weather and packed some options for some temp swings. I have about half my stuff packed. I’ll do the rest tomorrow and finalize a few things. If anything I’m nervous about completing Dopey. I have trained well. The Achilles is doing fine and the buffer week I built into my training plan plus the planned light Thanksgiving week gave me plenty of room to rehab and get my last long run in. But, it’s my first marathon and first Dopey. So the sheer mileage is a bit daunting. But, logically, I know that as long as my Achilles does ok through the HM, I will finish. I may not be able to walk the next day if it flares during the marathon, but I should be able to finish. And the more likely scenario is that it will be fine through the marathon.

Happy New Year runDisney All-Stars! It is time for the final SAFD before Marathon Weekend. So, time for final thoughts, what is on your mind as the races approach - travel, staying healthy, weather, Disney details, etc. What are you thinking about?
SAFD:

I’m surprisingly calm, considering it’s my first Dopey. Travel has commenced with an overnight in Tallahassee tonight before a short drive tomorrow. We’ll hang out with our kids (10 & 8) until Tuesday, then hand them off to my MIL & FIL; the kids will have a ‘normal’ Disney trip and my wife and I will be happy for a few days of running and relaxing. My fitness is better than ahead of any of my previous marathons but I’m not aiming for any PRs and will run the 5K and 1/2 with my new-to-running wife, so it’s more about the experience than the “race” this time. That takes a bunch of the pressure off. My only other MW was 2017 and I missed the chance at the Goofy for the lack of the half, so I’m wary of the weather but know I can’t worry about something that’s effectively out of my hands. Though I live in the south, I‘m New England-bred and my blood hasn’t thinned out too much yet; I train in shorts and short sleeves until the temps drop below 35°, so I’m content with the current forecast.

When you get your boarding pass double check it says pre check on it. Our experience is sometimes when you add later it disappears and doesn’t show up on your boarding pass. TSA is not amused or forgiving of it missing from your boarding pass even with everyone else in the party having it. And they will send you back to the airline desk or the regular security line. Not that I have experienced that twice or anything… 🫠
As someone with an apostrophe in his last name, this has affected me several times. While my passport and TSA KTN file include the extra character, some airlines don’t recognize it so no matter how many times I enter it on the reservation, the KTN status it won’t print on the boarding pass. I have sworn off flying Delta because they have not been able to fix the issue, even after several long phone calls, emails with copies of official documents, etc., etc.. They claim their system can only handle alphabetic characters because that’s what TSA uses, even though the TSA website specifically allows for several special characters, including apostrophes. And don’t get me started on websites that display a “Please enter a valid last name“ warning…

SAFD: At this point, I've just got two outstanding concerns for the weekend. First, will my mid-afternoon SW flight on Tuesday go as scheduled. It's scheduled to arrive around 5:00, but any delays and my plans for dinner and an evening at MK are likely out the window. Second, will my leg hold up through the marathon. It's been doing better through December's runs, but it's still not 100%. I'm not too worried about the first three races, but the combination of accumulating fatigue and strain through those races in combination with the sheer distance of the marathon have me a bit nervous.
Any chance you're going out of RDU at 3:25pm??

What have been people’s experiences with the first expo bus from the hotels? I know it says it runs from 30 mins before the expo opening. I’m going on the first day and wondering if I should just Uber, or if the first bus is fairly reliable to start running 30 mins before. I’ll be taking it from Boardwalk (which I think shares a bus with a few of the resorts there).

I want to try to get to the expo as close to open as possible because I’m working in the afternoon.

For past races, when has the tracking website been updated with the list of participants? I know the website says it will happen today (Monday) but just curious if there is a specific time that it usually happens at

What have been people’s experiences with the first expo bus from the hotels? I know it says it runs from 30 mins before the expo opening. I’m going on the first day and wondering if I should just Uber, or if the first bus is fairly reliable to start running 30 mins before. I’ll be taking it from Boardwalk (which I think shares a bus with a few of the resorts there).

I want to try to get to the expo as close to open as possible because I’m working in the afternoon.
What are your goals with the expo? Just your bib and shirts? Also rundisney merch (this one requires a virtual queue now, so if it’s on your list getting there on the first bus might not do anything for you, depending on your time slot.)

The addition of the VQ has also changed how busy bib pick up and the non-Disney expo building can be. We’ve only had it for w&d weekend, so we don’t really know what it’s going to do to the potential lines for stuff during this race weekend.

For past races, when has the tracking website been updated with the list of participants? I know the website says it will happen today (Monday) but just curious if there is a specific time that it usually happens at
Great question. I am not sure, and I know others who are more familiar will answer. I can't even find the runner tracking website link in the Event Guide to check if bib numbers have been loaded yet.

There’s no usual time because this is the first time they have waited until the last minute. It was realized during W&D that runner tracking could be used to find your bib number before runDisney sent out expo passes. I have no idea why bibs are such a secret these days but someone somewhere doesn’t want runners to know their numbers until as close to the race as possible

Just have to keep refreshing all day
Thanks for the link, I lost the page and I’ll be surprised if it makes it into the guide right when tracking goes live

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter