Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I have packing anxiety for just a normal vacation, so multiply that x 10 for Dopey! Especially with the unpredictability of Florida weather.
This is my 7th WDW marathon weekend, but this is the first year that I am running races with my family. Running the 5K with my 13 year old, and the half with my 17 year old and my (badly undertrained) DH. So - that adds another layer of both excitement and anxiety, as I now feel responsible if they don't have a good time.
Also - don't tell my family, but I prefer doing MW solo with just my running buddy. It's just so much easier, and I can eat when/where I want, go to bed when I want, etc. But I really am looking forward to making some special memories with my daughters!

SAFD: I'm a bit nervous about how cold it's going to be at the starts for Dopey, particularly that Friday. I packed throwaways, but typically if I'm stationary in those temperatures I'd be in long sleeves, a wool sweater, a down jacket and goretex shell and still be cold!

For the races themselves, I've done all these distances before and despite less than stellar training in December (Dancing for 5 hours straight NYE totally replaces an 8 mile training run, right? Asking for a friend.), I'm not concerned about finishing. Worst case scenario, if I fail a run even more excuse to come back next year and try again!

SAFD: Hmm… I’m feeling slightly panicky at the moment, mostly because I have a long to-do list of stuff around the house that feels like it’ll never get done before I leave for WDW. Which is silly, because I’m off the next 3 days, which is plenty of time to get to it all. So yeah - it may be pre-race nerves lol!

I’m not worried about the weather for races: I’m SO much better prepared with adequate cold weather clothing now than I was in 2017, when I owned exactly NO cold weather running clothes and just layered on all of the summer-weight stuff I had with me. I’m planning to just throw all of that into a tote bag and leave it in my car: it’ll be there if I need it. I am thinking hard about whether I should ally spectate in the cold for the half, though - my pain level rockets in the cold, which seems inadvisable ahead of the marathon. OTOH, I can wear a wool sweater, two pairs of thermal tights, and a down coat and maybe be warm enough? It’s not like I can’t just go inside the GF or Poly if I get too cold. We’ll see.

As for the races, I’m looking forward to reuniting with friends at the 10K! I’m not particularly worried about the marathon at this point: it will be whatever it will be. I’m trying to get into a mindset of “how exciting - who knows how many miles I’ll finish?! Isn’t that fun?!?!” But I HATE surprises, so… :rotfl2:

May all of your flights be on time, and your rental cars available. And may my trip across I-4 be uneventful. Let’s do this silly thing, y’all!!!

SAFD: Health! I finally caught the cold that my wife and kids had last week. It's mild, and I'm already on the upswing; I'll probably be completely over it tomorrow or Tuesday (I fly on Wednesday). But I know it takes a bit longer for conditioning to come back, so I'm nervous about Sunday's marathon. I'm going to skip my short runs the next few days, and then just see how my body feels.

Worst-case scenario: if I have to adjust my pace target down by 1-2 min/mile, it would still be 1-2 min/mile faster than last year.

Beyond that, I'm excited about a wonderful 10 days at the Poly with my parents, wife, and three kids (6, 4, and 10mo). My wife wasn't sold on annual WDW trips until I signed up for RunDisney. Heh. Heh heh heh. And here we are, once again...

SAFD: Ah, excellent, thank you for asking; let me unroll my scroll.
I am thinking about, in no particular order:
  • The weather forecast
  • Whether I can run 26.2 (+) miles
  • What to bring for before, during, and after the race
  • Who will take care of my dog while I'm out
  • Which shoes to wear
  • Whether to bring my handheld water bottle (yes, still)
  • Related, how many cups of water I would need to grab from an aid station to absorb a GU
  • Should I make a playlist just for the race?
  • How fast I should run
  • How I might feel after the race
  • When we will get our expo passes and more importantly bib numbers
  • Whether my POT really does put me in whatever they're calling the second corral now
  • When to charge my [phone/watch/Shokz]
  • What color I should paint my nails
  • What shoes to wear after the race
  • What time to leave for the race
  • What to eat on Saturday
  • Being able to sleep on Saturday
  • Whether I can fit an extra pair of socks in my Flipbelt along with my phone and all my gels
  • Whether I will then look like I have an assortment of massive tumors around my waist
  • How many character stops I should plan for
  • What else I want to photograph/film during the race
Nah, I haven't been thinking about it too much - why do you ask?

FYI, two Minnie Van drivers yesterday told me they are testing pre-race service this year. One driver said he was excited and quickly grabbed a shift when it was offered, the other was like heck no, not at that hour, lol. I don’t know exact times or races/details, if I take another one I’ll ask. Not something I’d want to rely on as a first transportation choice but maybe a backup option for spectators, etc, needing to move around property at that hour.

Not sure if that is new news but it was new to me, so FWIW!
I read this somewhere. Can’t remember if it was a credible source or an FB group. But I also remember reading it’ll cost lots of $$$$.

SAFD: Simultaneously panicking purchasing things while also ignoring that I leave in two days soo no lists or packing has begun. Wasn’t worried about the weather since it look decent but maybe I should pay attention since everyone else is? Haven’t laid out a race plan for the marathon yet. Haven’t even looked at the course map. Jamie is my name, avoidance is my game!

On a serious note, the guilt of leaving my kids for such a long time is setting in. Last year they cried when they dropped me off at the airport. I know I’m a great mom and it’s important for me to do my own thing but it’s still hard. They’ll be home w my husband for a few days and then he will fly down and meet me. I really enjoyed the solo time last year and I know I will again this week. I just have to manage the guilt.

SAFD: Oddly relaxed and at peace. That hay in the barn stuff really got to me. :-) I’ve dabbled in Princess, SW, F&W challenge weekends before so I feel comfortable with overall runD setup/logistics, but this is my first Dopey and marathon attempt - so I’m excited for something new. Feel reasonably well trained and ready to go - this is the first time I’ve had a running coach and I think that has helped a ton with my overall mindset heading into race weekend, even if it’s just mental. I was also on the Hipster team awhile back so I’m just incredibly thankful to be at this point and keeping fingers crossed that doesn't decide to flare up again with this kind of mileage and that the training/rehab did its job.

Leaving property today and seeing all the little signs to mark the water/aid stations, mile markers, etc, had me fired up (except maybe all those Epcot area roadway miles,).

It was stupid humid (97%) for 8 miles around Seven Seas Lagoon yesterday at 6AM, a nice slap in the face reminder of warmer weather running, but felt strong (if not drenched, lol).

PS: Long time lurker on this thread (sorry!), thanks for letting me jump in late. Everyone’s posts/experiences/questions have definitely helped calm some nerves and are so helpful.

Safe travels all.

Last run in the books! Did back to back 8 milers this weekend and now it’s time to rest and pack!

SAFD: Super pumped for the week. Can’t wait to get on the plane in Houston early Tuesday morning. The thing I am concerned about for the race is my shoe situation. I have two new pairs I have been breaking in the past two weeks. Same model, but different material. One is a nylon material and the other is a fly wire type material. The fly wire material seems to be not as forgiving as the other pair. I have a training pair of the same model that has more miles on them, but my fear is that pair blows out during the race. I did try switching socks for the less forgiving pair and the thinner socks seemed to help. But now fearful of doing the half marathon with thinner socks than I am used to.

Got a couple other things on my mind and trying to juggle during the week. it’s year end close for accounting and so that means I have to work each morning after the races. Cutting into my park time. Lol. The other is that it looks like daughter‘s BF is going to propose to her on Friday at one of the parks. So we are trying to navigate the day so we can celebrate with them. Going to be a packed and exciting week ahead!

SAFD: The main thing on my mind right now is whether my body will make it through Goofy. I have trained decently well for it, but my legs are always very stiff and sore after my long runs, so I’m not sure how I’m going to make it through the marathon. I’m also obsessing over my shoe situation I mentioned yesterday. I think I’m going to make a trip to my local running store tomorrow and see if they have the same model of shoe I’ve been training in. I can wear them around all week to see if they’re going to work for the races. I was trying to switch to a lighter pair of racing shoes, but they just don’t feel right. But the knee aches I felt (still feel) after 8 miles yesterday in my old shoes has me really nervous. Other than that, I just need to pack tomorrow and get on the plane Tuesday morning.

SAFD: mostly thinking about getting the house cleaned/fridge stocked with food for my husband and kiddo/dinners for them, etc. Coming up with things I think I could easily forget (portable phone charger, Garmin charger). Added my KTN to my flight info since it wasn’t there for some reason.

I’ve been making piles of things I want to take and those piles are starting to get annoying, so I decided to get my suitcases out today, which I haven’t used since summer 2019. Suitcases came out of the crawl space, which had a mouse issue last year they has since been resolved…however………

I took the suitcases upstairs and opened them to find clear signs that a mouse had been in one at some point 🫣 😩 🆘 so rather than getting a head start on packing I’ve been throwing out old stuff that was in my suitcase (goodbye remaining runDisney gear check bags, you were always the best laundry bags 🫡), vacuuming out the suitcase and then wiping everything that didn’t get thrown out (suitcase, toiletry bags, packing cubes) down with Clorox wipes. Thankfully I did not come across a mouse corpse during this time. And now everything is damp from Clorox so I can’t pack anything today. Glad I didn’t wait until the day before to get the suitcases out.

Last edited:
SAFD: Looking for rain ponchos and Mylar blankets to pack ended up with me purging my closet and my dresser 😂 I have a mountain of clothing to donate and a small hill of stuff to sell. My only concern is keeping warm before the race starts. DATW looks a bit on the chilly side too! I have plenty of cold weather running gear and tons of throwaway clothing from my purge today plus hand warmers and toe warmers. I just ordered more Mylar blankets so I can tie one around my waist plus use another for my upper body.

SAFD: Honestly feeling more chill than I should be! We had an uneventful drive down here and the weather, which I was concerned about, seems decent for the races. Just finished Sangria University at CSR which may be helping 😂 I’ve done what I can with training and I’m excited the weekend is almost here!

Added my KTN to my flight info since it wasn’t there for some reason.
When you get your boarding pass double check it says pre check on it. Our experience is sometimes when you add later it disappears and doesn’t show up on your boarding pass. TSA is not amused or forgiving of it missing from your boarding pass even with everyone else in the party having it. And they will send you back to the airline desk or the regular security line. Not that I have experienced that twice or anything… 🫠

When you get your boarding pass double check it says pre check on it. Our experience is sometimes when you add later it disappears and doesn’t show up on your boarding pass. TSA is not amused or forgiving of it missing from your boarding pass even with everyone else in the party having it. And they will send you back to the airline desk or the regular security line. Not that I have experienced that twice or anything… 🫠
Well that is annoying! Thanks, I’ll definitely double-check. I haven’t traveled in almost 4 years so I guess I forgot to add it when I bought my ticket!

I should add that I was looking back at pictures and Marathon Weekend in 2017 was around the same time as this year, so I was flying in on January 4…same date as I’m flying in for 2023. And lines were LONG, I guess from people coming home after holiday travel. I definitely had not arrived early enough and I won’t make that mistake again.

I'm trying not to think about the weather, and even layered up during my run today to get as grossly hot as possible on a sunny Jersey new year's day! Lasted until mile 6 and then had to tie my jacket around my waist. One more easy go tomorrow, and then (fingers crossed) flying out Tuesday! I tried to shove as much as possible into two carryons, but wondering if my worrying is for naught and I should just check a bag -- especially given all my GUs competing for space with my shampoo.

SAFD: my life feels organized and ready for next week, but my body is a mess… sometimes it’s the hips, shins, Achilles, but it’s *always* knees. This is year 4 of osteoarthritis so it’s nothing new, except that my knees didn’t used to hurt while actually running, it was always after. Whether it hurts or not I’ve dreaded every run for the past month out of fear of pain, and sometimes I get lucky and it feels good and sometimes not. I’ve never missed a long run because of it, but yesterday cut it short for the first time because it just was really unenjoyable- not exactly how I want to start marathon week. And walking the neighborhood 5k today hurt too. I really enjoy marathon training and the actual race normally, and now it feels like something to just get through 😖 I’m hoping getting there and settled, doing the little pre-race routine I’ve carved out for myself, and of course the Disney magic on the course will help! Sorry for the injury venting, it’s frustrating now but motivating me when I’m back to check out the one thing I haven’t yet- PRP. If anyone has tried it would love to hear about it. Otherwise things are pretty ready- alarm set tomorrow morning for 6am SW check in, and I’m at the packing stage where I’m pulling toiletries out of ziploc bags to use them. I’m also at the refreshing weather pages stage, but I wear the same thing for anything 40 or higher so it’s mostly my park layers that are affected. Safe travels everyone!

Worries - health. My kids were sick all last week with fevers, and my stomach hasn't been great today. Flying tomorrow so fingers crossed everything improves.

Weather - I was happy with the forecast but now you are all scaring me. I'll throw in a jacket and gloves for peace of mind. I'm good with shorts into the 30s if necessary.

Packing - already overweight on my suitcase, but my mom has room/weight. Hoping it doesn't become a problem on the way back with all the shirts and medals.

Last edited:
SAFD: Currently a little terrified as I've seem to come down with some bug after Christmas and still fighting it. We've postponed our flights until Tuesday evening to give me a couple more nights in my own bed to heal up, but with my first Dopey on the docket...really not how I wanted to go into this weekend.

The good news is my final simulation weekend of 40 miles was so successful I feel like I can definitely finish, even if slower than I would like to be. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon after sleeping the morning away, so trying to finish a first stab at packing my carry on with all my running essentials and seeing what any last minute supplies I'd like to stock up on this week.

Can't wait to meet everyone! I won't lie that the idea of finishing is what I'm most excited about moreso than the actual running - Sunday afternoon means checking into the Poly for our first time, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, and then our first time eating in the castle on Monday night (should time it right to see fireworks inside!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter