Marathon Weekend 2022

I missed Judy hoops too. Bummer. I actually found there was more space than I’m used to. I started at the front of 4, but ended up with 5 and 6 since I did a lot of pics. I was pleased with how the walkers really stayed right on the path from hs to epcot and busted out my fastest mile there. Set another PW today. Can I go for 3 tomorrow lol?

one thing I hate is people who blast off the start like it’s the 100m dash. Chill people and give it a minute to open up!
I ran into a lot of people walking 4 across or walking on the left side. Particularly on that narrow section behind boardwalk

I ran into a lot of people walking 4 across or walking on the left side. Particularly on that narrow section behind boardwalk

RunDisney has always emphasized walkers to the sides, not just to the right. That can certainly be problematic on a narrow stretch like the Boardwalk path, though.

3, 4, or more abreast becomes a moving barricade. Very rude IMHO

Welcome to the wonderful world of RunDisney races.

I had a reaction to my infusion. Not severe but it caused problems. Especially yesterday.

So if anyone sees me today in the park. Your going to hear me sounding like I smoked a pack of cigarettes. Not sick just the swelling caused a lot of pain in the throat yesterday which seems to have cause problems with my voice box. Doing better today with the swelling so hopefully I’ll have my voice back properly tomorrow.

I know I ran into someone this morning. But I was tired and it was early. So I forget who it was…

This is a common occurrence in runDisney races. Experiences vary across the spectrum, but due to the very nature of runDisney races (where runners are going for PRs, stopping for pics, getting a beer, riding rides, etc.) it causes a greater mix of paces at any one point in time. Add in that in some places these races with 16000-26000 runners are running on small pathways/sidewalks (in addition to roads/highways) it means you'll get some bottlenecks and congestion. Looking ahead, the HM has a few notorious choke points that you should mentally prepare yourself for:

View attachment 636716

Around Mile 1, you'll go down to a single lane uphill. This gets congested.

The turn at Mile 1.5 tends to be fairly crowded. Even for runners like myself who finish in the Top 2%, start at the front of "A" corral (or now s1), that particular turn tends to be congested. Be patient. As soon as the turn ends, you end up on a highway that is several lanes across and it opens up quite a bit more.

Around Mile 3.5, you'll enter the TTC area and there's a brief moment where you go underneath the road. It can get tight here.

The MK Castle can be congested based on when you arrive there.

Mile 6 to 8 is known as cone alley. All the runners go down to a single lane. So it can get congested there.

After Mile 8, the course opens up quite a bit and there's a lot less choke points until you're inside EPCOT itself.

View attachment 636721

The start of the M going through EPCOT tends to be pretty congested.

Then similar areas as the HM through TTC, MK, and cone alley.

There's some congestion in the AK area, but it's not as bad as other places.

Blizzard Beach probably won't be that bad since it's in the parking lot.

DHS will be tight going through that single lane exit.

The DHS/Boardwalk path tends to be fairly congested.

Hope that helps with some other places to mentally prepare yourself for congestion during the HM/M.
It sounds like the five miles or so should be taken as an extended warm up and then you can establish your marathon pace once you get to mile 4 or five.

Left the expo, merch was bad. There was little left and what was wasn't great. Got the I did it shirt and a magnet but I guess it saved me some money.
Do you know if they had an "I did it" shirt for the marathon as well as the 26.2 magnet?

It sounds like the five miles or so should be taken as an extended warm up and then you can establish your marathon pace once you get to mile 4 or five.

Yes and be prepared to throttle back down through the TTC-MK-Poly section. Keep in mind, it is almost always better to go a bit slower through sections than it is to surge through them. Surging and weaving uses a lot of precious energy.

Picked up my bib. I was originally assigned to S6, which did not jive with my POT. Runner Relations acknowledged the snafu and changed me to S2.

I’m very grateful for a quick and helpful expo experience.

I’ll see folks at 2.

I’m so happy to hear this.

Do you know if they had an "I did it" shirt for the marathon as well as the 26.2 magnet?
I was only looking for women’s stuff but I think they had lots of marathon “I did it” shirts in womens cut at least. I got there at 10am this morning.

I was only looking for women’s stuff but I think they had lots of marathon “I did it” shirts in womens cut at least. I got there at 10am this morning.
As of 12:30ish they had 26.2 finisher shirts in women's cut, mostly small and medium but i found an L. Also a bunch of magnets. But the place is really picked over at this point

Unfortunately, I can't get there until tomorrow. Stuck at the office wishing that I was already at Disney World.

Hi everyone. Congrats on all of us who have made it through these first two races!

Question -- does anyone know the last sweep stop on the marathon route? With how congested and narrow it was on the Epcot - HS Sidewalk today where I had to slow down, curious if this will be a problem during the marathon if it puts me below pace? I've heard that once you get to Epcot it's pretty much "safe," but wanted to ask here. TIA

Hi everyone. Congrats on all of us who have made it through these first two races!

Question -- does anyone know the last sweep stop on the marathon route? With how congested and narrow it was on the Epcot - HS Sidewalk today where I had to slow down, curious if this will be a problem during the marathon if it puts me below pace? I've heard that once you get to Epcot it's pretty much "safe," but wanted to ask here. TIA

It was right before the last entrance into Epcot we make in 2019 so I’m going to assume it’s going to be there again. Side note as long as your ahead of the balloons you’ll be fine regardless of pace. Technically bikes can pick you up in the last bit, but you have to be in bad shape for a spotter to make that call.

Hope that helps with some other places to mentally prepare yourself for congestion during the HM/M.
Yes and be prepared to throttle back down through the TTC-MK-Poly section. Keep in mind, it is almost always better to go a bit slower through sections than it is to surge through them. Surging and weaving uses a lot of precious energy.
Thank you for all of this information. It’s very helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter