Marathon Weekend 2022

What’s the best way for me to get from Hilton Bonnet Creek to the Friday meetup? I won’t have a car.

Uber to swan/dolphin and walk over to beach club (assuming they are still not allowing non-guests/dining reservations into the parking lots)

or Disney springs and then bus to beach club.

idk if you’re trying to drive yourself since the whole parking situation is weird.

Carry your own. The fuel stops are few and far between--you can see them on the course maps: 1 for the half after mile 7, 5 for the full, starting after mile 9, 14, 15,21,22-- and you will need it well before Disney offers anything. Also, I have worked a food stop at WDW during one race where they ran out. So best to be prepared to support yourself and use course stuff to supplement.

I think driving for the 5k/10k is fine. Not nearly the issues with road closures. As long as you leave before the ramp closings at 4, you'll be good.

I am trying remember the food at each stop, is it 2 stops for gels (mile 9 and 17 ) 2 for bananas (mile 14 and 21) for candy at mile 22?

SAFD:
My MW goal is to finish my first full marathon!
Other goals surrounding that goal include:
- Finishing a training plan. I started a @DopeyBadger plan last year, but I let life get in my way and didn't complete it :( This year I vowed to make time for me, and I rearranged my fall schedule early this year so I can make this happen! Once marathon training is done I'm going back to that plan, hopefully it'll help me improve my chances for a POT for 2023 (far future goals lol).
- Enjoy the race, stop for photos, and feel good at the finish line!
- Get medal photos with my first marathon medal in MK!

My goals were realistic and feasible. My main goal is still to finish my first marathon. I’m 3 training runs away from completing my training plan.

When I decided to train and register for the marathon I didn’t expect my COVID concerns to be what they are right now, so my last 2 goals are actually the ones that I’m not sure of. I’m still planning to go, but I’m hoping that my anxiety won’t get the best of me on race morning and I can enjoy the experience!

SAFD: The goal has always been a BQ with enough cushion to actually get in. The original plan was a 3:10 (BQ -10) but with the weather I was talked into adjusting to a 3:15 and pick it up at the end if I have it in me. I think a BQ -5 or -6 will still get me in for 2023.

Last edited:

SAFD: My goals completely changed when my mom fell and broke her hip. Weeks in the hospital then weeks in rehab out of my town changed my training to visiting her instead. Then she came home and I was her caregiver 24/7. She’s doing better and I’m glad I’m able to even GO to Disney! She’s finally at a point DH can take care of her (no more bathing or help getting dressed). Now my goals are just to have fun! I plan on walking the 10k and finishing then walking the half with Lynae until we get swept, stopping for ALL THE PICS! :)

So sorry to hear about your mother! My mother did the same thing on July 31, so the first few weeks of August were me being the primary caregiver. Fortunately my sister lives next door so once my mother was a few weeks in and doing better, they could both handle it (I live out of state). I'm glad to hear she's doing well. My mother got to full weight-bearing on her leg in two months. (She had three pins inserted rather than a hip replacement.)

So sorry to hear about your mother! My mother did the same thing on July 31, so the first few weeks of August were me being the primary caregiver. Fortunately my sister lives next door so once my mother was a few weeks in and doing better, they could both handle it (I live out of state). I'm glad to hear she's doing well. My mother got to full weight-bearing on her leg in two months. (She had three pins inserted rather than a hip replacement.)
Thanks! Both my sisters live out of state and my mom already lived with us. My mom is full weight bearing now, also at 2 months. :) My mom had pins and a rod inside her bone (which sounds terrible!) Both my sisters have now come to visit but obviously can’t help with day to day stuff. Glad your mother is doing better also! :)

Thanks for this informative thread! I've been following for a while but starting to get anxious about my flight this week. If all else fails, and I end up missing the expo, where exactly would I be able to pick up my bib the day of the half?

Expectation:
Me -making reservations two months ago- Yeah a closing Le Cellier reservation will be more than enough time. After all I should be at the hotel by 6.
Reality:
-me having to ditch the bakery line (was picking up food for a friend who wasn’t there) and having to book it from Paris to Canada-

I did make the reservation. No thanks to a flight delay

Those of you who have been here a while will remember Coach Charles used to post this heading into marathon weekend. With the races fast approaching and people getting anxious about how they'll do, I figured I’d bring it back and help calm some nerves. You’ve done all the hard work. Now it’s time to enjoy the fruits of that labor.

The Hay is in the Barn
I used to hear this weekly back in my high school days (and yes there were high schools back then). Coach would walk in Thursday after practice and tell us that the Hay was in the barn boys, enjoy the fruit of our labors. If you think about it, he was correct. We have all spent the training season growing, harvesting, baling and stacking our hay for future use. There is not much more that any of us can do from now through race day. Seriously, a marathon is not an event that you can cram for. I know there are a few who can simply head out and run one, but most of us need to spend the next couple weeks allowing the body to absorb the training from the last few months. Many do not understand that the work (running, lifting, etc) is not where strength and improvements come from; rather, its the recovery periods just after the work where they occur. Its happens as a result of the muscle repairs those tiny little micro tears that occur with all workouts.

Its taper time... Yes we do need to be out and running. Taper is seriously misunderstood by many runners. It is not a time of kicking back and not doing anything. Taper is a reduction of training volume. Volume = intensity x time. In many camps it is thought that intensity should remain high through taper. I am in that camp, at least for most runners. Distances, ie time, are reduced dramatically while the mid week intensities remain just as high as previous work.

The exception to the above... If you are injured or ill, I would just recover. Do not run or otherwise aggravate your injury. Give the joint time to heal up. If ill, its still ok to run, but keep it light. The general rule of thumb is that if your cold or illness is above the neck, head out for your run; if in the chest or below the neck stay in.

NERVOUS?
It is normal. Remember how nervous you were the first time you entered a race. These are the same nerves. If this is your first event, it is very normal to have a set of nerves during this period. Tapering tends to bring the nerves out as you are not working out near as long as you were just two weeks ago. Trust me, even the most seasoned runners have similar nerves. Maybe we just hide them better, or understand them better. But watch as you are in the corral on race morning. Folks are burning off nervous energy in various ways. Make a pledge to use your nerves to help get you to and through the race. Once the gun goes off and you just hit the point where you are sweating, your case of nerves will soon disappear.

All packed and ready to go for Tuesday morning flight! I have one super heavy carry one. Crammed all my running clothes for the Dopey in a packing cube. Plus throw in two pairs of shoes, TENS unit, hand sanitizer, and a pound of GU packs and amino acids. I am really hoping security doesn’t have an issue with the sanitizer and GU. Holy cow, having at least 3 sets of clothes a day adds up in the suitcase (Besides running clothes, a change of clothes for after each run, and a set of clothes for the parks after). Again packing cubes to the rescue.

Fingers crossed there are no hiccups with the flight. Really excited now. It’s been a long nervous week. Can’t want to touchdown in Orlando and it becomes real.

Seeing the sun for the first time since September reminded me of one important factor… do they have sunscreen on the course?
They do have it in the medical tents, but depending on how fast you burn, you do not want to be hoping to see a medical tent while the sun beats down on you mercilessly. That happened to a runner in the pacing group I was with a couple of years ago and fortunately, I had sunscreen with me since I've been caught outdoors without sunscreen before I took up running and know that the fallout is both not pretty and extremely painful.

I’m not gonna lie… I panicked for a few minutes when I couldn’t find my name. Even went back to my confirmation email and logged into my account. Then I realized this is the first time I registered with my married name…. It’s there. I’m married. It’s good. Lol

I'm not married, nor would I change my name if I did. And I can't find my info, nor my fiancee's. Now I'm worried.

Edit: I found her, I feel better. I'm not there, but I'm only running the 5k. Is my name not showing up because that race isn't timed?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter