Marathon Weekend 2022

This is the first time Disney has had the fuel on course that I usually use. But I tend to do 3 chews every 3 miles. I'm wondering if I should still carry my own? They aren't offering them that often on the course?

I'll use the monorail for the half and full. I'm still debating driving vs bus from BLT for 5K and 10K. Strong arguments for or against driving? If there's no risk of road closure/delay I'm leaning towards driving.
I’ll be carrying my own (gatorade chews, really tasty). Probably 4 packs, 6 chews each, they’re really light and tightly packed so I won’t notice them while running. 4 packs in addition to the 5 stops on course is prob overdoing it but I’m sticking with my habits, good chance I end up skipping the early stops and just work on what’s in my pocket.

This is the first time Disney has had the fuel on course that I usually use. But I tend to do 3 chews every 3 miles. I'm wondering if I should still carry my own? They aren't offering them that often on the course?

I'll use the monorail for the half and full. I'm still debating driving vs bus from BLT for 5K and 10K. Strong arguments for or against driving? If there's no risk of road closure/delay I'm leaning towards driving.

Carry your own. The fuel stops are few and far between--you can see them on the course maps: 1 for the half after mile 7, 5 for the full, starting after mile 9, 14, 15,21,22-- and you will need it well before Disney offers anything. Also, I have worked a food stop at WDW during one race where they ran out. So best to be prepared to support yourself and use course stuff to supplement.

I think driving for the 5k/10k is fine. Not nearly the issues with road closures. As long as you leave before the ramp closings at 4, you'll be good.

SAFD: I don’t know if I ever officially stated goals, but it’s always been just to finish Dopey. Between being undertrained, the Covid situation, and the weather forecast, this is even more true now, with the added point of everyone getting through the weekend healthy. I’m getting particularly stressed about heat for Sunday, especially after reading back on experiences from 2020, and don’t want it to be a miserable time. Any chance they’ll be wrong about whatever is supposed to cause a jump in temps Sunday before dropping a bit lower right after?

I will not be stupid....I will not be stupid.....I will not be stupid. (If you say it three times, it happens, right? Like Beetlejuice?)

My hip is improving (say 80-85% better. Doc says it isn't anything major--no stress fracture, disc issues, etc) and I am packing my running gear. What better way to pamper your body into recovery than run 26.2 miles. To overuse an old sports quote....it's a gameday decision, but the odds have gone from 1 in 20 to say, 1 in 5. (Who am I kidding. At this point, I'm in)

Anyone know if they were doing taping at the W&D expo? KT used to, but these days who knows.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the great comments on this forum!
I had initially registered for the full then got a half entry when it opened later in fall, so am trying to get Run Disney to treat me as a Goofy - since I have paid for both and wouldn't be taking an extra space in either race, no luck with email and calls to Run Disney - not response but I get they are busy. Anyone else had this situation or any suggestions? Since I will end up doing both would like to get that extra credit for Goofy! I will ask at Bib pick up but wanted to get it sorted before if possible.
I am loving the weather forecast and have done training runs over the past two months in 80f and then 15f, we get some big temp swings here, so cant wait to not run on ice or snow.
Just made the decision to drive from Niagara, Canada instead of flying from Buffalo. Jet Blue offered full refunds for all flights given the mess they are in, so that worked out well for us to get $ back and now planning on the drive- which we have done to Disney many times. Also cancelled all indoor dining - even though we both have full vax and boosters, just feel that is better for us. Safe travels everyone!

Not sure if anyone answered you.....but RunDisney policy has been to allow upgrades IFF (if and only if) the event to which you want to upgrade is open. Since Goofy is sold out, they will likely say no. There is also additional cost for a challenge compared to the sum of the component races. Never hurts to try, but the answer is likely no.

OTOH, I would be 100% sure you can find a Goofy medal/shirt on ebay. (or possibly one of the companies that do bib/medal framing.)

I will not be stupid....I will not be stupid.....I will not be stupid. (If you say it three times, it happens, right? Like Beetlejuice?)

My hip is improving (say 80-85% better. Doc says it isn't anything major--no stress fracture, disc issues, etc) and I am packing my running gear. What better way to pamper your body into recovery than run 26.2 miles. To overuse an old sports quote....it's a gameday decision, but the odds have gone from 1 in 20 to say, 1 in 5. (Who am I kidding. At this point, I'm in)

Anyone know if they were doing taping at the W&D expo? KT used to, but these days who knows.

I’m right there with you. I know I shouldn’t run, but I’m packing all my gear anyway.

SAFD: My goals completely changed when my mom fell and broke her hip. Weeks in the hospital then weeks in rehab out of my town changed my training to visiting her instead. Then she came home and I was her caregiver 24/7. She’s doing better and I’m glad I’m able to even GO to Disney! She’s finally at a point DH can take care of her (no more bathing or help getting dressed). Now my goals are just to have fun! I plan on walking the 10k and finishing then walking the half with Lynae until we get swept, stopping for ALL THE PICS! :)

@jmasgat yay. I don’t want you to do further damage and understand if you don’t start but yay I want a running buddy. I might be slightly better off than you but terrible shape. I really want to come out of this marathon able to walk and with a few weeks off feeling good to train like a normal person again. Everything on my right side hurts.

Not sure if anyone answered you.....but RunDisney policy has been to allow upgrades IFF (if and only if) the event to which you want to upgrade is open. Since Goofy is sold out, they will likely say no. There is also additional cost for a challenge compared to the sum of the component races. Never hurts to try, but the answer is likely no.

OTOH, I would be 100% sure you can find a Goofy medal/shirt on ebay. (or possibly one of the companies that do bib/medal framing.)
They also state on their website you have to sign up for the challenge to be eligible. When they first offered the Dumbo challenge at DL, it sold out super fast, and runners tried to get in by signing up for the individual races. rD has since had this language for all challenges.

Attachments

• ED43AE81-BF8F-4CE1-9C13-D146BC3CBEDB.jpeg
    ED43AE81-BF8F-4CE1-9C13-D146BC3CBEDB.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 4

I’m right there with you. I know I shouldn’t run, but I’m packing all my gear anyway.

The Goof Troop Roving Road Party doesn’t know the meaning of “quit!”

What’s the best way for me to get from Hilton Bonnet Creek to the Friday meetup? I won’t have a car.

SAFD: I discovered this board recently so I don’t have any pre-made goals. So, my goal is to finish Goofy! & have fun and enjoy the moments. I am also looking forward to a day in Magic Kingdom with my husband and best friend on Monday! I am also looking forward to trying the park’s vegan options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter