Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front/where ever I end up
Early Bird or Late Arriver - middle
Expected Race Pace - 12-14

RACE - Half
Name - Kristi
DIS'er name - pkbaughAR
Costume/Clothing - No costume - Bolder Athletic skirt
Bib# - ?
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - ?
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) maybe
Expected Race Pace - 13-14

RACE - Full
Name - Kristi
DIS'er name - pkbaughAR
Costume/Clothing - No costume -Bolder Athletic Skirt
Bib# - ?
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 4:31-5:00
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) maybe
Expected Race Pace - 13-14

coming from houston too... well league city, but flying via Southwest from Hobby on Tuesday... if this continues to Tuesday, which i doubt, and mine is somehow cancelled to for days, which i doubt too, then i jump in my car and do a 20 hour drive

You must drive the speed limit. Houston to our house near Cocoa Beach always took me about 14 or so.:rotfl:

Anyone remember what time they cut the marathon course last year? I keep thinking 11am was the cutoff to either go on to BB or be rerouted. Does that sound right? Yes, Iā€™m thinking ahead, just in caseā€¦
I took a picture in front of the pool at Blizzard Beach at 10:40 then stopped for another one with Olaf. They opened the merging point right ā€œonā€ me. I have a picture with Hyacinth Hippo outside of Hollywood Studio at 11:05. So @camaker is right, the merge was probably around 10:45-10:50.

You must drive the speed limit. Houston to our house near Cocoa Beach always took me about 14 or so.:rotfl:

dang, that's fast. For me it is nearly exactly 1000 miles from league city home to POP century, and I've done the trip 2 times and 3 if you include another orlando trip. And each time it has taken me a minimum 16 to 18 hours - usually 18 hours if you count the stops for gas, etc. I hope I don't have to take the ride though - rather fly even with masks on. :)

SAFD: Iā€™m registered for 10k and half. My mom fell and broke her hip November 4th so my training went out the window as I am her caregiver. Zero time to train. I plan on walking the 10k, hopefully finishing! The half Iā€™ll walk with DD32 (Lynae) and we will probably get swept. She canā€™t run at all or walk fast since her back surgery and I wonā€™t leave her to get swept alone. So wishes are to just have fun. :)

Our Marathon Weekend trip is big! Below is our plan.
Jan. 5-10: Marathon Weekend for Dopey (my wife is doing the 5K) - no parks
Jan. 10-14: Cruise on the Disney Dream with my wife's parents
Jan. 15: Back to Disney World to take my mother-in-law to the Magic Kingdom for the first time

We're currently planning on flying down from PA on Jan. 5, with a return flight on Jan. 16. With the current flight cancellation situation and trying to do everything we can do to not test positive for COVID at cruise embarkation, we're considering switching our flight to a drive. Thoughts on how that might impact running performance?

Flight:
Bedtime on Jan. 4: ~10:30 p.m. due to a work commitment
Departure from home on Jan. 5: ~2 a.m. to drive to Baltimore
Arrive at MCO on Jan. 5: ~9:45 a.m.
Mears Connect to All Star Music: ~11 a.m.

We'd put about 1,900 fewer miles (roundtrip) on our car and have the opportunity to use our rescheduled Southwest flights another time (not sure for what yet).

Drive:
Depart home on Jan. 4: ~9:30 p.m., after a work commitment
The last time we drove it took us 15 hours to get to Disney World, so arrival at Expo ~1-2 p.m. (might need to factor in more bathroom stops if I want to stay hydrated leading up to Dopey)
It is just my wife and me (no kids - early 40s) and we can switch off driving/sleeping. We often do odd/overnight travel times.

We'd save some money by not needing to pay for parking in Baltimore, not using Mears Connect and not paying for Disney ground transportation to Port Canaveral. But we'd pay for parking at Disney World resorts and at Port Canaveral.

My focus is Dopey. My wife's focus is making sure we and her parents can get on the cruise. We both understand how important each is to the other one (i.e., my wife is SUPER supportive of my Dopey focus).

Feeling kind of nervous for the marathon. I am severely undertrained.

I was doing well until I had to take a couple weeks off for surgery and then started a high stress job. Getting back to training seemed impossible. I ā€œranā€ an untrained half in September to support my friend who had cancer and used that to jumpstart my training. Made it to a ten mile long run before surgery and now Iā€™m just getting back to that.

This marathon is going to be a struggle and Iā€™m not really feeling like I earned it. I miss my prepandemic motivation!
If you can do 10 miles, then you can do the marathon. Run the early parts, then settle into a run/walk pattern. It worked for me. Even in the last mile, I was able to alternate running and walking. The intervals were down to appx .10 mile, but it got me to the finish line.

Okay, Iā€™ll confess: Iā€™m looking at the weather forecast now. :rotfl: The crazy thing is Iā€™m 100 miles west of WDW and our forecast high for marathon day is 73, while WDW is looking at 80+. Can we just move the whole thing over near the Gulf?!

Still plenty of time for changes, so nothing is packed. But I just added a Tropical Minnie marathon outfit to the pile oā€™ race clothes options, and bought a fresh bag of Tailwindā€¦

I also just had the brilliant idea of packing all cold weather gear in one bag and leaving it in my car. I can pull it out, or just pull specific items out of it, if needed, but wonā€™t have to haul one more bag to my room if I donā€™t need any of it. IDK why I never thought to do that before!

Okay, Iā€™ll confess: Iā€™m looking at the weather forecast now. :rotfl: The crazy thing is Iā€™m 100 miles west of WDW and our forecast high for marathon day is 73, while WDW is looking at 80+. Can we just move the whole thing over near the Gulf?!

Still plenty of time for changes, so nothing is packed. But I just added a Tropical Minnie marathon outfit to the pile oā€™ race clothes options, and bought a fresh bag of Tailwindā€¦
weather.com has 77 as the high if that makes you feel better. I think it's safe to say it's going to be <70 until the sun comes up 3 hours in and 77 in Jan is not the same as 77 in May both in the duration of the high throughout the day or how it feels. I go back and forth on what's better for Disney races. Most races you're not standing around for 60-90 minutes, even longer for some so ideally you want mid 50's but not shivering for almost 2 hours before seems better then ideal conditions. The Wine and Dine half was pretty ideal minus the wind but it was not comfortable waiting to start and trying to stay loose. It's warmer there today than the current forecast so lets look at that as a positive!

Meanwhile, 80 here today and high of 53 on Sunday. :P

I'm keeping an eye on the low and it is looking like two sites are putting that at 60. Not great marathon weather.

I think it's safe to say it's going to be <70 until the sun comes up 3 hours in and 77 in Jan is not the same as 77 in May both in the duration of the high throughout the day or how it feels.
Yep, I live down here so Iā€™m intimately familiar! :) But Iā€™m also slow: 3 hours isnā€™t even the halfway point for me. And that last half is pretty shade-free: the sun is my enemy. My last 20-miler started at 70* and ended at 80*/Feels Like 85* - the last few miles were brutal in the sun. I know I can get through it, but I also know it wonā€™t be pleasant lol! If the sun could hide behind clouds, at least, that would help a bunch. Iā€™d really not like a repeat of 2020.

I haven't been following very closely, is there a fix for signing the waiver? I can pull it up, but it won't let me sign. I get a pop up that says "scroll to the end". But I have scrolled as far as it will let me go.

With the current flight cancellation situation and trying to do everything we can do to not test positive for COVID at cruise embarkation, we're considering switching our flight to a drive. Thoughts on how that might impact running performance?
I've had to give this some thought as well (would be a 16 hour drive for me) and well... it can't be great for your legs. Maybe not a lasting impact though, particularly if you can walk it off when you arrive. I'd also probably take it easier on the 5k just to make sure I don't pull something.

Iā€™ll probably be joining everyone at runners relations uggg

for whatever reason my MW registration uses my middle initial and so itā€™s not being listed as my registrationā€¦..

December 7th I managed to send the registration to myself and got a message saying my waver is signed however in my account it still says waver is pending and wonā€™t send the information to my email since itā€™s the email of my Disney/RunDisney account

According to Weather Underground using Temp+Dew with the knowledge this is still a bit early:

5k - 122 to 120 for 5-7am
10k - 124-126 for 5-8am
HM - 122-136 for 5-10am
M - 120-150 for 5am-1pm

For comparison, the 2020 Disney M course that was shortened was a T+D of 137-153 from 5am-1pm. The forecast for that year held steady from the 10-day (link). The 2018 MW was a close forecast, but it got colder over time (link). The 2017 forecast was also close with 50s for the 5k/10k, but the M ended up about 20 degree colder than originally projected (link).

I've had to give this some thought as well (would be a 16 hour drive for me) and well... it can't be great for your legs. Maybe not a lasting impact though, particularly if you can walk it off when you arrive. I'd also probably take it easier on the 5k just to make sure I don't pull something.
It's a tough call. It's not like my pre-2 a.m. wakeup and flight the morning before Dopey is the best option before doing 48.6 miles. We hope to make a decision today. Whichever one we choose will be the right choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter