Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: DH took care of our reservations on Monday while I was still asleep. He knocked it out of the park, getting everything we’d talked about wanting. We have ADRs for Terralina, Wine Bar George, Frontera, Skipper Canteen, and Sanaa over the course of our stay! Terralina and Frontera will be new for us. We always like to collect new places each trip.
In the past, we’ve done Flying Fish, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Toledo, California Grill, and—I’m ashamed to say— I can’t remember exactly where else. They were all terrific, and it’s hard to pick a favorite. DH would probably say Hoop-Dee-Doo. We stopped eating meat a couple of years ago, so I’m glad we went there then (after the 2016 marathon). Toledo was amazing after the 2020 marathon, although I was starving, and could have eaten twice the portion (I didn’t really eat after the race, except from the post race box. I went back to the room and fell asleep, so by dinner, i was really hungry).

SAFD: I was hoping that Takumi Tei or V&A would open up for a celebratory dinner, but no dice. I found a nice restaurant off-site which I booked a month ago on Open Table for after the weekend!

as for on-site, a mix of La Hacienda, S220, Skipper, Citricos and Sanaa are where we're going to dine!

The wild weather is exactly why I've never gone all-in on a costume. I can't wrap my head around planning for so many variables and being comfortable.

I can layer! They are all skirts so I can wear shorts or leggings underneath. I have long sleeve running shirts that I can layer under tank tops or I can use running sleeves. I’m going for comfort for the marathon.…..maybe.

SAFD: in previous years, I've always attended a big group table service dinner, and it's always been an ordeal and not really what I wanted. So this time I'm making no reservations and will either: go to MK if trams are operating again by then (because I am unwilling to hobble through the parking lot after Dopey!) and grab whatever counter serve sounds good, go to Disney Springs to do the same, or stay at my resort and grab dinner there. I prefer to focus on rest & recovery the day of the marathon and do my celebrating the next day in MK.

EVERYTHING except for the 5k is back open (not virtual)

10K appears sold out again but half, full, and both challenges are opened. If it remains opened more than an hour or so I'm thinking they added capacity based on their experience with W&D. If it is only open a short time it sounds like a few allocated bibs being returned. Both just a guess.

someone made a post in a FB group about it 54min ago, so I'm assuming they increased capacity.

Maybe looking to see how well W&D went with its smaller capacity and then increasing based on how successful it turned out?

Maybe looking to see how well W&D went with its smaller capacity and then increasing based on how successful it turned out?
And since W&D was sold out (right?!) and was about 25% smaller than "normal" it makes me wonder if they had similarly capped MW capacity....

The wild weather is exactly why I've never gone all-in on a costume. I can't wrap my head around planning for so many variables and being comfortable.
My 10k test run a couple of weeks ago was my first time ever running in costume. My thoughts on running in costume based on that, plus speculation and wishful thinking:
1. I'm willing to put up with a little bit of discomfort for the fun factor, especially for the shorter races.
2. The 5k and 10k should be done before sunrise, so if it is typical weather, the costume = warmth. For instance, I *really* liked having gloves on until things warmed up in my recent race. Race finish was in the upper 50's and I wasn't hot or uncomfortable afterward.
3. Similarly, the half will be mostly done before it gets very warm. (Assuming the usual start temp in the upper 40's / low 50's. )
4. I'll be dressed in layers and will adjust any underlayers per the temperature forecast. If it is cooler than typical, then the costume is bonus warmth.
5. If it looks to be one of the really warm races, then I'll wear just the moisture-wicking costume shirt with shorts and forego the costume fidelity
6. Atypical for me, I'll have extra luggage to accommodate possible weather changes
7. No way that I could wield a light saber or anything else for more than the 5k, so any props would need to be strapped to my hand/wrist/arm. And to have something hanging from a belt = chafing for the longer races.
8. See #1

I was at Citricos last week and asked about V&A. He said spring ‘22. Here’s to hoping it’s open by Springtime Surprise!

Can confirm we also dined at Citrico's (in early October) and the V&A manager is temporarily managing there. He told us they were hoping for February, but spring for sure. YAY!

Just want to say that rD and WDW knocked it out of the park for W&D! Really - the new "corral" system worked really well, the course entertainment was fantastic, lots of support, shockingly few issues for the first in-person races in a long time and some pretty awful weather. I'm very hopeful that we'll have more of the same for Marathon Weekend!

Entirely agree - absolutely fantastic!

SAFD: Celebrating @mateojr's first half marathon at his go-to celebration restaurant - Narcoossees! We were distracted by Wine and Dine last weekend, but as soon as I finished the half I worked on marathon weekend ADRs and was able to get this one and a few others.

A note regarding our experience with ADRs last weekend that might be helpful. We were able to add previously unavailable ADRs at the last minute, join virtual waitlists (got a table for lunch at Le Cellier ready in just minutes on Sunday after the half) and adjust ADR times at restaurants that had been booked up for weeks. So in the midst of many WDW changes - many of which are not great - this was a nice surprise.

We were able to add previously unavailable ADRs at the last minute, join virtual waitlists (got a table for lunch at Le Cellier ready in just minutes on Sunday after the half) and adjust ADR times at restaurants that had been booked up for weeks.

Is this a thing in the Disney app?

I was hoping to do the Dopey this year. Then, as a medical provider during the COVID surge, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get time off. Then the race sold out and things have cooled down at work. I was able to get a marathon bib a couple of weeks ago when I saw it available but really wanted all the beautiful 50th anniversary medals. Today, Dopey was available and I registered. Now I have 2 registrations for the marathon. Any chance, runDisney will refund the marathon bib? Can I get my BF to run with me with the extra bib?

I was hoping to do the Dopey this year. Then, as a medical provider during the COVID surge, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get time off. Then the race sold out and things have cooled down at work. I was able to get a marathon bib a couple of weeks ago when I saw it available but really wanted all the beautiful 50th anniversary medals. Today, Dopey was available and I registered. Now I have 2 registrations for the marathon. Any chance, runDisney will refund the marathon bib? Can I get my BF to run with me with the extra bib?

Well....RD has been willing to convert one bib to another (based on availability) for a fee. But that ship has sailed. I expect it's a hard no on a refund. Best thing to do is immediately contact them and ask them about your options. If you're lucky, maybe they'll give you a credit for a future race.

YMMV, but I was able to get my virtual Wine & Dine 10K refunded (minus a service fee) when I decided to register for the virtual challenge instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter