Marathon Weekend 2022

Sorry if this has been asked before/recently...

Are there any pre-orders available for marathon weekend? I can't find them and I like to get the preorder jacket and some pins.
There were pre-orders but they were already removed from the website. I missed out and I’m so disappointed! :sad1: I normally wouldn’t preorder but I wanted the Marathon bundle and I can’t get to the expo until Saturday due to work. Lesson learned, next time I’m preordering right away!

I know someone mentioned working with someone on the boards who was willing to purchase for them. I wonder if there’s a way that a small group could be formed somehow. I don’t know the safest way to do it, but I’d imagine it could help a number of people in the same situation without supporting the eBay shoppers.

There were pre-orders but they were already removed from the website. I missed out and I’m so disappointed! :sad1: I normally wouldn’t preorder but I wanted the Marathon bundle and I can’t get to the expo until Saturday due to work. Lesson learned, next time I’m preordering right away!

I know someone mentioned working with someone on the boards who was willing to purchase for them. I wonder if there’s a way that a small group could be formed somehow. I don’t know the safest way to do it, but I’d imagine it could help a number of people in the same situation without supporting the eBay shoppers.
Nooo! Ugh I’m so sad. Do they always pull them down this early? I didn’t get access to my registration until late because someone else registered me.

Fingers crossed that I just scored a DVC value studio at AKL-Jambo for MW. If it goes through, I will be spending about the same amount as my 4 nights at Pop (currently--no discounts announced yet). I love AKL and could happily spend 4 days there sitting in the lobby or hot tub or wherever. While a room with a view would be nice, I would forego it for the price I'm paying. And since it's DVC, there should be no parking charge, so I may get a car for the whole time. Yippee!

Makes up ever so slightly for the fact that right now I should be sitting on the lanai of a beachfront condo adjacent to Aulani gathered with my family for a wedding. Oh well, a little of that money is going to make this Jan trip a little nicer.

ETA: Got my room and it's costing $150 less than Pop!

Last edited:
Nooo! Ugh I’m so sad. Do they always pull them down this early? I didn’t get access to my registration until late because someone else registered me.

For whatever it's worth, I preordered my jacket in 2020 and wish I hadn't. I didn't really love the design and there were a ton at the expo (I went on Friday). It's grown on me now, but I would have taken that money and bought some different stuff at the expo instead.

Point being, you'll probably be able to snag one. Otherwise, folks here have been pretty awesome about snagging stuff for folks early if you're really, really desperate.

Good morning, runDisney spook-stars! Marathon Weekend is so close it's scary!

On this creepy, crawly Sundays are for Disney, what better topic to talk about than costumes?? So, are you wearing costumes for this year's races? Have you worn them in the past? What's your favorite costume you've worn? If you haven't worn costumes, what's the best one you've seen?

My "costumes" tend to be more on the practical side. I have run in some super hero themed compression shirts that I really love. My cousin owns a print shop and made me the Mr. Incredible shirt featured in my profile pic. That's been my favorite, by far. My favorite part about wearing a costume is all of the character-specific cheers you get and playing up for the crowd a little bit.

After two marathons, I think I'm going to move Mr. Incredible down to the half this year. I'm going to buy an adult Buzz Lightyear costume and run the full in that, I think. Should be fun!

Have a safe and spooky week, everyone!

As I’m sitting in my car while it’s 36 outside for a Halloween race…
I’ve dressed up as Anna and Minnie using running gear for two prior Disney races, and I’ll be Mrs Banks for the 10k. I always wear running gear so I’m not chafing, sweating more than usual in Florida, etc. kudos to those who wear full costumes.

Ihave more fun spotting costumes. That’s half my fun at Disney.

SAFD: I can’t wear costumes as any weird irritating thing would make me quit. I’m a fan of all the Minnie Mice. I love the UP! costumes I’ve seen in the races. Inspirational. Russell just keeps trying and stays positive no matter what. I love that kid. He was running my pace for much of my last race and appears in my pics a few times, which is awesome. (He actually was a very good looking young woman in a Russell costume, but we’ll just ignore that point.)

SAFD: I love a mashup costume! Some of the favorites I've worn are Jungle Cruise Skipper Rey (got interviewed pre-race on the big screen with that one) and Darth Elsa. I always strive to come up with something unique that not everyone will do, or a true favorite that means something to me personally.

For MW, I'm doing all new costumes, and all things related to WDW in 1971 for the 50th.

5K: to be revealed... I'm SO PROUD of this idea but I'm still working out exactly how to do it and I'm terrified of someone stealing it. When it's ready, I'll share it.
10K: 1971 VIP tour guide (including the riding crop if it doesn't drive me crazy)
Half: Haunted Mansion umbrella portrait girl
Full: Orange Bird

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, I preordered my jacket in 2020 and wish I hadn't. I didn't really love the design and there were a ton at the expo (I went on Friday). It's grown on me now, but I would have taken that money and bought some different stuff at the expo instead.

Point being, you'll probably be able to snag one. Otherwise, folks here have been pretty awesome about snagging stuff for folks early if you're really, really desperate.

I loved the 2020 jacket and the retro design! But even if it's popular, there will be folks who sell them online. If you can wait a few months, prices will drop.

I do think they closed pre-ordering early due to the supply chain issues. I'm sure they needed to finalize the order number early to make sure they can get them in time.

SAFD: I always make costumes, and have been Jasmine, Queen of Hearts, Ariel, Elastigirl, Malificent, Jane Porter, Minnie Mouse, and Captain Marvel. DH has been Herbie the Love Bug, Prince Eric, and Mr. Incredible (original blue shirt). He also once wore a “Property of Medfield College PE” shirt, but I didn’t make that one. His favorite was Mr. Incredible, and he’s worn that one for multiple races. My favorites were probably Jasmine and Ariel, although I cannot recommend running a long distance in a red wig. It was very sweaty and gross by the end.

For this year, I haven’t started making anything yet, but we plan to be Sylvie and Loki (in the “Variant” shirt) for the half, and probably a Dole Whip (me) and an old school Disney ticket book (DH) for the full. I’m also running the Princess half, and am still deciding on that costume.

I love seeing the costumes along the way. Our DS24 is running the half, and I am strongly encouraging him to run in costume. It’s just more fun that way.

SAFD: my costumes have mostly consisted of off the rack activewear plus some homemade skorts & a few accessories…. I’ve done Classic Anna, Rapunzel, Newsie/Han Solo mash up, Kylo Ren, ball gown Belle, Roger Rabbit, Wreck It Ralph 2 “comfy princess” Elsa….

I did wear an off the rack Queen of Hearts costume last Halloween to run one of my virtual Wine & Dine races

current costumes include Rescue Ranger Chip for Wine & Dine 10K and TBD for Marathon Weekend 10K

SAFD: since I’m doing Princess Weekend, I’m definitely going to pick princess for each race. I don’t think I’ll go full costume, but more Disney-bounding in running clothes. I’m still deciding on which princesses I want, and it may depend on what colorful running clothes I can find without spending a fortune. I’d also like to be able to use them again for Springtime Surprise, but rD needs to tell us what the themes are before I can make any firm decisions.

My thoughts for Princess are:
5K: Snow White
10K: undecided
Half: Cinderella

I loved the 2020 jacket and the retro design! But even if it's popular, there will be folks who sell them online. If you can wait a few months, prices will drop.

I do think they closed pre-ordering early due to the supply chain issues. I'm sure they needed to finalize the order number early to make sure they can get them in time.
I agree with @The Expert, I think it has to do with the supply chain issues. Both Marathon and Princess Weekend preorders are down. I was considering preordering the jacket, but I was afraid to due to how wacky the sizing and quality can be. I had to buy the Princess 2020 jacket two sizes bigger than I normally would. I wore it for 1 day (it was chilly that weekend) and it pilled all over the front. I loved the design but I sadly ended up returning it because it was too expensive to look that way after one day of wear...

I just hope they order a lot of merch for the expo, and there's something left on Saturday. I'd like some items to commemorate my first marathon!

SAFD: Running in costumes is a big part of the RunDisney fun for me and DH.

Some of my favorites have been:
- DCL Chip & Dale
- Epcot cast members with flag shirts (we carried beer flight trays too!)
- Barf and Dot from Space Balls
- Ewok Chip & Dale (like their old Star Wars weekend outfits)
- Darkwing Duck and Gosalyn
- Scrooge and Webby

For MW 2022, we have planned:
- Ian and Barley (will be my first time trying to run in a wig, so thinking the 5k!)
- DCL Captain Mickey and Minnie
- Phineas and Ferb
- 50th Anniversary Mickey and Minnie
All parts and piece have been purchased from Etsy, Amazon, and Joann's, but we have a lot of work left to put it all together!

SAFD: Major kudos to all of you creative and amazing people who do costumes for the races! You all make the experience even more magical and fun for everyone.
I can't handle running in non-running stuff, but I try to make it fun with character-themed sweat and chafe friendly attire - I have several Star Wars run shirts/tanks that have seen their share of Disney miles!

SAFD: I love reading these ideas from the unbelievably creative people in this group. I always want to go full out, but the possibility of being uncomfortable/chafing always causes me to rethink my plan! I have several Disney themed running skorts that I love and will likely wear those with leggings underneath if it’s cold. Also, I can’t seem to do without the amount of pockets I have in my skorts!

SAFD: Love seeing all the great costumes out there and often I am amazed how some people can get through the longer races with some of them. Unfortunately I don't have enough creativity for any interesting costumes and I'm generally too focused on not dying during the race, so not running in costume gives me one one less thing to worry about. Last year when I ran the 5-K with my two older DDs, they helped me do a Disney-bound style outfit (they were the step sisters and I was Lady Tremaine) and that was fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter