Marathon Weekend 2022

Blech the sw non stops to my airport stink. I’m booked right now to leave Mco at 8am Monday, which is my only non stop option. I’m not thrilled about not being able to sleep in at all this trip. I may change to a later 1 stop flight, but I hate doing that when direct only takes 2.5 hours.

Blech the sw non stops to my airport stink. I’m booked right now to leave Mco at 8am Monday, which is my only non stop option. I’m not thrilled about not being able to sleep in at all this trip. I may change to a later 1 stop flight, but I hate doing that when direct only takes 2.5 hours.
I don’t have any direct SWA flights either, but I have gift cards and travel funds, so indirect it is 🤷‍♀️

Question: I have a Caribbean Beach Resort room booked right now, but I have the ability to buy some points through Marriott, transfer some AmEx points and end up saving $900 to stay at the Swan Reserve. Any thoughts on if this is worth it? I’m leaning towards yes at the moment given the lack of EMH and fast passes being paid now as there’s not a lot or reason to stay on site anymore.

Question: I have a Caribbean Beach Resort room booked right now, but I have the ability to buy some points through Marriott, transfer some AmEx points and end up saving $900 to stay at the Swan Reserve. Any thoughts on if this is worth it? I’m leaning towards yes at the moment given the lack of EMH and fast passes being paid now as there’s not a lot or reason to stay on site anymore.
I would do it, and that would actually get you in on the extended evening hours at MK and Epcot

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 music and really like it. It is different from most of the other Garmins in that there is only one button and you swipe for most of the functions. I believe the newer Vivoactive 4 has two buttons but still has swipe functions.

I have had no issues swiping a very wet watch with very wet fingers. I used to stream the Garmin music to my AfterShokz headphones, but now I stream music directly from my "ipod" (an old Apple 4 phone) to my hearing aids, as Garmin does not stream to hearing aids yet. It is pretty easy to download music playlists from your Apple device (computer, phone, or ipad) to your Garmin without using any paid streaming source.
I can confirm that the vivoactive 4 has 2 buttons and a touchscreen. Top button for start/stop and bottom button for lap.

also the 4s (s is for small) was attractive to me because I have tiny wrists and some of the forerunners are pretty big.
I have a Garmin 945 that I bought about 2 months ago and I *really* enjoy it. Not only does it track my running and steps, but it also stores tunes and can be used as an MP3 player for my ear buds. I've weighed in before about how I prefer running without earbuds, especially long runs, but for my short training runs, all I need with me is the watch. It is waterproof for swimming depths (not diving) so I also wore it to the beach. I go for a week or so between recharges, and has a lot of analytical data that it records. It may be a bit of overkill for tracking my running, but I have no regrets on getting it.
Thanks for the Garmin advice everyone! I’ve been reading the descriptions on their website and trying to get some information, but it’s pretty overwhelming…

As far as watches, I cannot recommend the Apple Watch more. I have been using it since the first version (skipped a few along the way) and currently have the series 6 (the latest until tomorrow I think) and it has been extremely accurate. The races I have done have been accurate to the 1/10th of a mile. I did a 15k yesterday and my watch said 9.3 miles as I cross the finish line. It's light, and with the option of changing bands you can find one you like. I am a big fan of the Nike bands (with the small holes) as it is very breathable.
I currently use an Apple Watch, with a Nike band, and I do love it. The battery is going, which is a problem because I rely on it for running and it can’t be fixed in the Apple store. I was considering purchasing a running watch solely for running purposes, which would eliminate the problem of my Apple Watch dying before I finish a run. I also thought it would make the process a little easier, with less apps to juggle through. I’m considering upgrading to a newer Apple Watch. I’d just hate to have the same problem down the line. Who knew buying a watch would be so tricky?!?

I got the return flights for MW booked this morning and I'm okay with what I got. There was only one nonstop flight and it was the first flight of the day which wasn't going to work since we always try to take the last flight out. So layover in Baltimore it is. My friend's flight was more expensive than I wanted it to be, but still only 11,000 points, and hers is nonstop. So not ideal, but do-able. I'll keep stalking any price drops, but if it doesn't happen, I can live with it.

Now on to waiting for Universal to put out the passholder rates on their hotel rooms...oh, and training for the weekend!

I would definitely do it. I havne't stayed at the Swan Reserve ye but have stayed at the Swan, Dolphin, and Caribbean Beach and of the three the Caribbean beach is the bottom of the list. To be honest it is my least favorite of all the Disney resorts I've stayed at and that includes the All-Stars when you factor in cost. Add in the $900 savings and it is an easy decision IMO.

Marathon weekend wasn't on my radar this year, as I was planning on going for my second Dopey in 2023. But those medals...
I signed up for virtual Dopey minutes after the release, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get off work that many days that week, with plans on doing the races at home as if I were there. But then I talked myself into doing the full in person. So I will be there! And now I will get two full medals.
Update. Got the virtual Dopey refunded and upgraded the full to in person Dopey. So excited!!

Hello all,

Family members are running the 10K for the first time in January, and other family members would like to cheer them on. I realize that with COVID, everything may be different from past years, but how did the spectators cheer them on the last time? Were they only allowed to congregate in the parking lot, or could they also cheer them on from inside Epcot? Are there any activities during the race that the spectators can participate in, such as photo opportunities or the purchase of snacks? Thanks for your help.

Hello all,

Family members are running the 10K for the first time in January, and other family members would like to cheer them on. I realize that with COVID, everything may be different from past years, but how did the spectators cheer them on the last time? Were they only allowed to congregate in the parking lot, or could they also cheer them on from inside Epcot? Are there any activities during the race that the spectators can participate in, such as photo opportunities or the purchase of snacks? Thanks for your help.

This was the 2020 MW 10k course.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 11.03.07 AM.png

I marked with red arrows the four main places spectators tended to gather in past pre-COVID races.

1) At the start line
2) At mile 2.5 when the runners re-enter the EPCOT parking lot area.
3) The Boardwalk area
4) The finish line

There are no spectators allowed inside EPCOT during the 10k.

This was the staging area for the 2020 Marathon Weekend 10k:

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 11.05.15 AM.png

You can see right above the "Spectator Seating" area near the finish line there was a place for Food and Beverage. Some small snacks, coffee, and such. There also tended to be some food and beverage in the reunion area as well.

In the past, the picture area was around where it says "Character Meet and Greet". The characters were out for a limited time prior to the race start, and then would come back out once runners started finishing. It remains to be seen how that will return. I don't believe there were ever restrictions on who could take pictures with the characters, so I'm sure spectators could as well.

Thanks for the Garmin advice everyone! I’ve been reading the descriptions on their website and trying to get some information, but it’s pretty overwhelming…

I currently use an Apple Watch, with a Nike band, and I do love it. The battery is going, which is a problem because I rely on it for running and it can’t be fixed in the Apple store. I was considering purchasing a running watch solely for running purposes, which would eliminate the problem of my Apple Watch dying before I finish a run. I also thought it would make the process a little easier, with less apps to juggle through. I’m considering upgrading to a newer Apple Watch. I’d just hate to have the same problem down the line. Who knew buying a watch would be so tricky?!?

dcrainmaker.com has great in depth reviews.

My Fenix 6s just became a brick after the latest software update. I have had issues from the last 3 updates with my watch not wanting to charge. After resetting a few times it would eventually charge, but the update last week killed it. No, it was never dirty connections or a bad cable or an issue with my laptop. I tried new cables and all the cables worked on my husband’s watch and my laptop had no problem finding his watch or my old forerunner. Garmin support was useless and claims that batteries never have issues after update. Um, check your own forum and social media please. I ended up having to buy a new watch. I looked at the forerunner again, but the watch size only came in 47mm. My Fenix was 42mm and is still pretty big on my wrist. I ended up getting another Fenix, bought an extended warranty and turned off auto updates.

dcrainmaker.com has great in depth reviews.

My Fenix 6s just became a brick after the latest software update. I have had issues from the last 3 updates with my watch not wanting to charge. After resetting a few times it would eventually charge, but the update last week killed it. No, it was never dirty connections or a bad cable or an issue with my laptop. I tried new cables and all the cables worked on my husband’s watch and my laptop had no problem finding his watch or my old forerunner. Garmin support was useless and claims that batteries never have issues after update. Um, check your own forum and social media please. I ended up having to buy a new watch. I looked at the forerunner again, but the watch size only came in 47mm. My Fenix was 42mm and is still pretty big on my wrist. I ended up getting another Fenix, bought an extended warranty and turned off auto updates.
Even after this would you consider Garmin still worth it? I'm not a serious marathoner, I'm more about covering the distance than training for speed so I'm currently just using my Apple Watch which I've been very happy with, but the battery gets me sometimes.

Even after this would you consider Garmin still worth it? I'm not a serious marathoner, I'm more about covering the distance than training for speed so I'm currently just using my Apple Watch which I've been very happy with, but the battery gets me sometimes.

For my needs, yes. I’ve been using Garmin since 2014 with a brief trial of Apple Watch. I want to be able to see and do more than current pace without third party apps. Apple Watch can’t do this:

I ALWAYS buy extended warranties on large purchases, but this last one was a gift. My DH bought the watch at a local running store and he lost the receipt which means I couldn’t buy a warranty.

** RUN WITH NO REGISTRATION FEE! **
I wanted to pass along this great information I received in an email from the cancer charity Team FORCE. They have 5K and 10K bibs still available, and they're currently offering them for no registration fee and only a $150 fundraising goal. And of course the money would go to a great cause!

I think this link should work for more information: https://go.pardot.com/webmail/29344...37bec069c6430646eaa9a0182fe9fac6e3ac39860e0e5

If that doesn't work, here's the contact email address that was referenced in the email: teamFORCE@facingourrisk.org

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 107 days away from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend 2022!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what’s something you’ve never done at Disney that you’d love to try?

There is so much I haven’t done. Restaurants I haven’t tried. Resorts I haven’t stayed at. I’d love to do more tours.

A lot of that is time and cost-prohibitive and likely won’t change. So, if I have to pick just one thing and make it something I’ll likely do one day: I really want to go to either the halloween or Christmas parties. I’d love to see the different park decorations and shows and take a ton of fireworks photos.

Have a great week, everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter