Marathon Weekend 2022

I will also say that cold in humid conditions like Florida feel much colder than the thermometer reading. We stood around before the 2017? maybe race and absolutely froze even though it was maybe 40 degrees and we were dressed warmly. But the humidity combined with a breeze made it feel bitterly cold. We learned our lesson and brought more stuff to stay warm the next time the forecast was like that. Florida cold and sitting around for hours waiting for the race to start was horrible and we are used to running in colder temps.

I'm honestly PRAYING for this weather! -- A survivor of the 2020 race on the surface of the sun

I will also say that cold in humid conditions like Florida feel much colder than the thermometer reading. We stood around before the 2017? maybe race and absolutely froze even though it was maybe 40 degrees and we were dressed warmly. But the humidity combined with a breeze made it feel bitterly cold. We learned our lesson and brought more stuff to stay warm the next time the forecast was like that. Florida cold and sitting around for hours waiting for the race to start was horrible and we are used to running in colder temps.

2017 was the cold year I mentioned in my post. That year stuck out because of how cold it was before the race, so I looked it up: the temp was 34, the“real” feel was 28, but the wind chill was about 20 degrees…and it was windy before the start. 34 isnt bad, but that wind chill took it out of me.

I preferred the 80s in 2020!

For 2017 Marathon I had to buy an extra running jacket in the March tent in the freezing cold before the race. I took as much time as possible wandering around the tent before paying and going back into that wind! Didn't start removing layers until MK.

I'm honestly PRAYING for this weather! -- A survivor of the 2020 race on the surface of the sun
I ran Dopey in 2020.
I had brought shoes for all races, fleece blankets, throw away hats, mits, old pajamas/sweat pants/sweat shirts, Mylar blankets and disposable rain ponchos…
We were coming from snow and cold so we also had our puffy fall jackets with us. And even trying to plan what we would bring the evening of each race, we had to adjust!

The morning of the 5k we left the room with sweat pants/shirts on, carrying gloves and blankets. The room door was still closing when we decided to go back to get our jackets. We eventually put those in our bag check (we needed them to go back home). We let go some stuff in the corrals bin a few minutes before starting. We dropped the fleece blanket at the first character. We were really happy to have our jackets after retrieving them and waiting for more photos with our medals.

The morning of the 10k was a bit warmer but we used a similar strategy.

The half was a comfortable wait then a humid run.

There was no question that extra clothing was superfluous getting out on the morning of the full. I was super happy that I had trained for hot weather by overdressing at home!

Last edited:
In 2017 the wind-chill was so bad at the Marathon start I spent 15 minutes just standing in a porta-potty waiting for my corral to start.
There were no lines for them and it was relatively clean so no harm, no foul.
Once I got running it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was dreading that run because of that dreadful wind!

I ran Dopey in 2020.
I had brought shoes for all races, fleece blankets, throw away hats, mits, old pajamas/sweat pants/sweat shirts, Mylar blankets and disposable rain ponchos…
We were coming from snow and cold so we also had our puffy fall jackets with us. And even trying to plan what we would bring the evening of each race, we had to adjust!

The morning of the 5k we left the room with sweat pants/shirts on, carrying gloves and blankets. The room door was still closing when we decided to go back to get our jackets. We eventually put those in our bag check (we needed them to go back home). We let go some stuff in the corrals bin a few minutes before starting. We dropped the fleece blanket at the first character. We were really happy to have our jackets after retrieving them and waiting for more photos with our medals.

The morning of the 10k was a bit warmer but we used a similar strategy.

The half was a comfortable wait then a humid run.

There was no question that extra clothing was superfluous getting out on the morning of the full. I was super happy that I had trained for hot weather by overdressing at home!

I raced the 10K as well and it was pretty much perfect weather for me. But it was crazy how much the weather changed so dramatically over such a short time! I kept thinking, during the 10K, if the full is like this I'll be FINE. Two days later - BAM! I've definitely learned to prepare for literally ANY weather.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 114 days from the start of Marathon Weekend 2022!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney (no interruptions from @camaker this time), what job at Walt Disney World would you most enjoy?

Me:
- Roaming/marketing photographer, i.e. not tied to one spot all day. Maybe weddings?
- Tour guide
- Anything to do with the care of the animals

Have a great week, everyone!

SAFD:

CEO. It seems the most lucrative. I feel it’s not cheating because WDW would technically fall under my purvey; as opposed to something like lead actor in a Star Wars movie/TV show (my Disney adjacent answer):rotfl2:

Being more realistic, my social anxiety and impatience with people rules out a lot of jobs. My lack of engineering and technical skill would rule out a lot more. Maybe I could plan logistics and help set up and operate Fireworks Dessert Parties, MNSSHP, or MVMCP or other special events? That seems like something that would be fun, that I’m relatively qualified for, and would have me at the parks at some of my favorite times.

SAFD: I’d want to be the person who leads the team that coordinates visits for the Make A Wish or Give Kids A World kids. How fun and rewarding would it be to spend all your time at work finding ways to make special kids happy? Very.

Monorail or boat driver would be kinda fun too.

SAFD: I’d want to be the person who leads the team that coordinates visits for the Make A Wish or Give Kids A World kids. How fun and rewarding would it be to spend all your time at work finding ways to make special kids happy? Very.

Monorail or boat driver would be kinda fun too.

You'd be a top notch concierge for the 21-and-up crowd, too.

I still have to catch up on previous posts, but I’m looking for some advice and figured this would be the best place to go.

I’m training for the marathon with a @DopeyBadger training plan. I normally run with my Apple Watch, but I’m having battery issues and thinking of upgrading to a Garmin for running only.

- I’m planning on keeping my Apple Watch for regular use. I have one with a cellular plan, and I use it for my Peloton.
- I usually run with my phone, but I do like the option to run without it if possible.
- I use the Nike app, just because I’ve had it the longest so I can compare past data. Is that possible with a Garmin? No big deal if it isn’t, I can switch, but I was just curious.
- I use the run/walk method, so I use the Intervals Pro app to set my intervals. Do Garmins have an option for intervals?
- I use Spotify for music, with specific playlists downloaded to my watch.

Based on the above, and advice/suggestions on which Garmin to buy? Thanks in advance!

Based on the above, and advice/suggestions on which Garmin to buy? Thanks in advance!

I love love love my Garmin fenix 5S and yes, it does intervals. I think that's a feature on just about all Garmin models. The Forerunner 245 is specifically made for music, but some of the other models allow you to put music on the device itself, too. I believe the Nike app is one of the options you can add, but not 100% sure of that.

I like the fenix because it's a little smaller (I'm a petite female) and doesn't look like a running watch (it's white and rose gold) so I can wear it all the time.

I still have to catch up on previous posts, but I’m looking for some advice and figured this would be the best place to go.

I’m training for the marathon with a @DopeyBadger training plan. I normally run with my Apple Watch, but I’m having battery issues and thinking of upgrading to a Garmin for running only.

- I’m planning on keeping my Apple Watch for regular use. I have one with a cellular plan, and I use it for my Peloton.
- I usually run with my phone, but I do like the option to run without it if possible.
- I use the Nike app, just because I’ve had it the longest so I can compare past data. Is that possible with a Garmin? No big deal if it isn’t, I can switch, but I was just curious.
- I use the run/walk method, so I use the Intervals Pro app to set my intervals. Do Garmins have an option for intervals?
- I use Spotify for music, with specific playlists downloaded to my watch.

I can answer a couple of your questions and make a couple of suggestions. First, are you willing to wear 2 watches while running? I use a Garmin 935 for run tracking and an Apple Watch with cellular for safety contact and music/audiobooks, allowing me to run without my phone. That has been very freeing for me. It would also let you continue to use the Apple Watch for Spotify, widening your available choices of Garmins.

Garmin uses its own app, Garmin Connect, for historical run data. I know it’s easy to port that data over to Strava automatically, but I don’t know if you can do the same for Nike.

Run/walk intervals are actually easier to do on Garmins than on Apple Watch, in my opinion. They’re called Alerts on Garmin rather than intervals (that term is used for another type of training) and they’re built right in. Turn the option to use them on, they can be set to what you want, and they automatically start every time you start a run. No need for a separate app.

As far as models go, I’m a big fan of the Forerunner series. The Forerunner 245 would be a great starting point. I’m sure others can chime in about some of the other Garmin series’ like the Vivoactive.

I usually run with my phone, but I do like the option to run without it if possible.
I use a Garmin 935 for run tracking and an Apple Watch with cellular for safety contact and music/audiobooks, allowing me to run without my phone.
The new Garmin Forerunner 945 LTE has safety features without needing your phone. It also allows for music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter