Marathon Weekend 2022

You both sound as if you were doing something prior (whether that be prior running or cycling). There are 18 weeks until race day. That's a completely reasonable amount of time to train for Dopey as long as you're coming from nothing in the last few months. Just take the pacing very slowly. Far slower than you could run a marathon.

As for taking time off, Daniels philosophy is equal time off to equal time return. So if you end up taking 4 weeks off, then it takes about 4 weeks of very easy running to get back to where you were. But trust your local doctor's opinion on when to return since they're evaluating you in person. But as long as you've got a history of running, then you still have plenty of time to train appropriately. Don't rush it and try to make up for lost time though.

Great advice! Have any room to take on another client? 😉

I looove all the medals. But After over 2 weeks of no running, my sprained ankle is still not ok. I did a test short run the other day and it swelled up again. I’ve got a doctor appointment next week, but someone please tell me I can still safely find a way to train for Dopey if I’ve got to take another couple of weeks off??

If you can't run, do you have access to an exercise bike? (Or can you temporarily join a gym to get access to one?) I am currently grounded by my physical therapist, but he is allowing me to bike. I hate biking, but it is better than doing nothing (and binging on my Disney+ watchlist is making it tolerable).

I've said it before and I will say it again - if you can get your doctor to send you for physical therapy AND you can find a PT who is also a runner, you will be golden. They know how to get you back on the road safely. In my case, I've been trying to push through. When I finally gave in, I realized that I wasted so much time and feel so much better now that I'm in the good hands of my PT.

Marathon weekend wasn't on my radar this year, as I was planning on going for my second Dopey in 2023. But those medals...
I signed up for virtual Dopey minutes after the release, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get off work that many days that week, with plans on doing the races at home as if I were there. But then I talked myself into doing the full in person. So I will be there! And now I will get two full medals.

SAFD- just emailed rd to see if I can upgrade to dopey. It’s probably a bad idea but oh the beautiful medals!!!!

You should be able to upgrade through your registration page on the RunDisney site now with no need to email them. At the bottom of your Marathon Weekend registration page, there should be a menu labeled “Change Category“ or something very similar. Click on that and you‘ll be able to switch races.

You should be able to upgrade through your registration page on the RunDisney site now with no need to email them. At the bottom of your Marathon Weekend registration page, there should be a menu labeled “Change Category“ or something very similar. Click on that and you‘ll be able to switch races.

I tried that, but I’m signed up for the 5,10 and half so when I go to upgrade it only recognizes one registration.

SAFD: these medals are fantastic and I’m glad I’m doing Dopey for first time!
Medals are 8-)! Happy that I decided to do my first Dopey this year. My wife is jealous. She is only doing the half. Lol.
Me too! First MW and first Dopey for me… and maybe the first time (in a long time) where folks didn’t immediately complain about the medals when they were released. Must mean they are really good!

SAFD: note than I am really not into medals and usually sell most of mine and donate the $$ to charity... but I LOVE these! Every single one of them. I've never, ever before been motivated by medals, but I am this time. :love:

That said...

I also have visions of all that color getting nicked and scratched from clanking, and of many Oswalds littering the pavement as they fall off the sliders. You know, based on past history with rD medals with gadgets. We may need to be careful with this lot...

Me too! First MW and first Dopey for me… and maybe the first time (in a long time) where folks didn’t immediately complain about the medals when they were released. Must mean they are really good!

I definitely fall into the group that usually complains. As I referenced in my earlier post, my primary complaint was always that they don’t bother to coordinate all of the medals to make them appear to all be from the same weekend. They use different color schemes, fonts, shapes, materials; anything that made the medals look like they had nothing to do with one another, they did.

I’m sure I’ll have nitpicks from time to time anyway; but they can eliminate 99% of my dissatisfaction (and, frankly, confusion) by simply designing all 6 medals to a common theme every year. I’m not sure I would be as enthusiastic breaking them down one by one, I was just so excited to see that they are all of one mind.

SAFD: Wowza, way to go rD! :worship: Those are just gorgeous!

I am the only one who didn't realize that it was the 25th anniversary of the half?

The 20th anniversary of the half was the infamous weather-cancelled race of 2017. Between that and this year’s virtual-only offering, I don’t think anyone knew how RunDisney was going to count things. I’m glad to see them consider it the 25th this time around, if only to keep things simple for calculating future anniversaries.

The 20th anniversary of the half was the infamous weather-cancelled race of 2017. Between that and this year’s virtual-only offering, I don’t think anyone knew how RunDisney was going to count things. I’m glad to see them consider it the 25th this time around, if only to keep things simple for calculating future anniversaries.

That weekend was the last time I ran MW. I remember running the "virtual" Boardwalk Half that year! At least it was memorable!

SAFD: Like everyone else, I LOVE the Marathon Weekend medals! My favorite is the full marathon medal, so I'm thrilled to be earning that one for my first full! :love:

Has anyone ever purchased the medal display case at the expo? I think these will deserve special treatment. 😆

I never bought the display case but I was planning to do so whenever I ran my first Dopey. Lasting Commemoratives had a huge sale on their medal displays and extra medals earlier this year, so I'm just hoping they'll continue to work with runDisney now that live races are returning. I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one this year as my first full and first return to runDisney live races!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter