Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: Bad, bad, bad.
I'm training for an Oct 2 Half, and was doing great through 9 miles. As of a couple weeks ago, I've fallen off a metaphorical cliff. I've been exhausted and had shortness of breath even on short runs. Negative COVID test, so that's not it. I saw my doctor last week, and her best guess right now is a combination of heat, humidity, allergies, and potentially new asthma. My Saturday run was a debacle, as well. I started out okay, but after about 6 miles was stopping frequently to take deep breaths. I've been running for over 10 years now and have never experienced anything like this.
So, anyway, I'm extremely frustrated right now. I'm not sure what my doctor is looking for, but I'm going to schedule a chest x-ray this week.
Hopefully this will get figured out quickly. Over the years, I've had knee issues, toe issues, back issues, motivation issues, eating-way-too-many-cookies issues, and more, but nothing that affected my breathing. :guilty:

SAFD: Today was Week 1 Day 1 of training for Jan. I am a year round runner but this year, 2021, has not been so good. I had a calf strain in April that sidelined my mileage in both April and May. I got my mileage back up to my usual 35 - 40 miles per week in july and aug. Then two weeks before today i got sick, so i have been off for two weeks. I was worried about my run today. Thankfully it was only 4 miles. For a change i did manage to go slow. Tomorrow is supposed to be a short tempo run but i think i am going to throw pacing out this week and just see if i can do the mileage. While it was hard it was nice to run again.

Soooo new AP levels were just announced. Looks like PhotoPass/Memory Maker is no longer included. I have a current AP and was counting on getting all my race pics for free. I hope the old benefits apply for the rest of anybody's current AP time.
I’m pretty sure your current pass will have all its current benefits - plus you can have a couple additional park reservations if you are not staying on property.
It did say that photopass would be discounted (less than $99) for renewals, but I didn’t see what that discount would be…

I’m pretty sure your current pass will have all its current benefits - plus you can have a couple additional park reservations if you are not staying on property.
It did say that photopass would be discounted (less than $99) for renewals, but I didn’t see what that discount would be…
I hope you are right, but my current pass already lost one important benefit without warning: early race registration. So, who knows? The only sure thing: Prices go up, benefits go down.

SAFD favorite park- Definitely MK. Quintessential Disney for me. Has all my favorite rides and some of my favorite foods.

SAFD training- It's going ok. I'm using a DopeyBadger plan and had a light week last week because of vacation. I ended up skipping a few runs though. This week I can already tell will be weird since the remnants of Ida are scheduled to be here Thursday which is my long run day. So I've got to do some shuffling. The hot weather has been killing me and my shoes need replacing, but they discontinued the NB 1260 so I need to find time to get to the running store. Plus it's back to school week and I still have to get supplies and get everything labeled! And I've managed to gain 5 pounds this summer when I was trying to lose 30. But I've just got to keep plugging along and being consistent!

Soooo new AP levels were just announced. Looks like PhotoPass/Memory Maker is no longer included. I have a current AP and was counting on getting all my race pics for free. I hope the old benefits apply for the rest of anybody's current AP time.

The price went up 25% for the DVC member pass! And removed PhotoPass.... and let's see... now we have to add in Genie +...
:sad2:

SAFD: Currently 1 month out from the 50 miler I am training for and to be honest, I am slightly concerned. The heat and humidity is destroying my long runs and I have been hitting a wall about 2/3 way through. The temps have made it difficult to consume the necessary calories mid-run and staying hydrated is an issue. I have one more long run coming up this weekend before I begin to taper and I am praying for some cooler weather.
I will take a week off after the race before jumping into my Dopey plan but even then it will be a welcome drop off in mileage for awhile.

SAFD: Is this it?? It's almost Sept - can we Floridians please complain about the heat now?! :rotfl:

Yeah. I mean, my 5:45am temp this morning was 79, which was VERY exciting: I haven't been below 80 overnight in a while. Sure, the humidity was 98% and the dew point 78* and it never rained last night so the pavement is a million degrees, but I'll take it lolol!

That said, Dopey training is going fine, all things considered. Did a 3/11 b2b this weekend and survived. I'm really looking forward to not needing to get up at 4am every other weekend...

SAFD: Currently 1 month out from the 50 miler I am training for and to be honest, I am slightly concerned. The heat and humidity is destroying my long runs and I have been hitting a wall about 2/3 way through. The temps have made it difficult to consume the necessary calories mid-run and staying hydrated is an issue. I have one more long run coming up this weekend before I begin to taper and I am praying for some cooler weather.
I will take a week off after the race before jumping into my Dopey plan but even then it will be a welcome drop off in mileage for awhile.

Try Tailwind. Gives you fuel and hydration all in one, with generally no issues from heat, nausea, etc.

That would be great, thank you!! It was 7:01.

So if we use Galloway's MM method from the runDisney plan instructions:

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.24.26 AM.png

A 7:01 mile is a 9:49 min/mile predicted Marathon Tempo (7:01 x 1.4 = 9:49). Galloway's suggested Long Run pace would be a 11:49 min/mile (9:49 + 2:00 = 11:49).

I get different results if I use Galloway's website instead:

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.26.41 AM.png

Suggesting a 9:07 min/mile M Tempo and an 11:07 min/mile LR pace.

If I use Jack Daniel's VDOT calculation, I get the following:

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.28.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.28.57 AM.png

Daniels says M Tempo is 8:39 min/mile and LR is around 9:45 pace.

If I plug the mile time trial into my calculator, I get the following suggestions:

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.30.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.30.25 AM.png

So if you're following the Galloway plan and doing run/walk, then you want your LR pace to be between 11:07-11:49 min/mile pace based on his two different calculations. Galloway suggests your M Tempo is between 9:07-9:49 min/mile pace.

You'll notice a fairly large difference between the suggested LR paces for Daniels and myself when using continuous running (9:30-9:45 min/mile). And that's because Galloway's LR pace has baked in the idea that he wants your run pace to be fairly slow comparatively to current fitness still. And thus this makes the overall average pace slower by adding in walking breaks. This is a reason that his plans can go up to 26 miles for a marathon training plan.

If you go with run/walk, then my calculator is suggesting 10:43 min/mile pace for your easy/LRs. That's based on an estimated 8:43 min/mile marathon + 2 min. It's suggesting 9:30 min/mile run pace for 95 seconds and 18 min/mile walk pace for 30 seconds. For the M Tempo it is suggesting to try 3.5 min run with 30 sec walk, with the run around 8:06 pace. Although you could run slower and extend the duration of the run period.

Daniels and my M Tempo suggestion (8:39-8:43 min/mile) is assuming a Top 6% conversion relative to others with a similar fitness level. This is using the standard Riegel exp 1.06 calculation. But if you've done a HM around 1:49:35 recently, then the calculator suggests a 50th percentile marathon finish (and thus M Tempo pace) would be around 4:03 (9:17 min/mile pace). That's usually why you'll see a M Tempo difference between Galloway's calculator and others. Daniels is suggesting best case, and Galloway is suggesting something more towards the middle.

Let me know if any of that didn't make sense. Hope it helps!

So if we use Galloway's MM method from the runDisney plan instructions:

View attachment 600982

A 7:01 mile is a 9:49 min/mile predicted Marathon Tempo (7:01 x 1.4 = 9:49). Galloway's suggested Long Run pace would be a 11:49 min/mile (9:49 + 2:00 = 11:49).

I get different results if I use Galloway's website instead:

View attachment 600983

Suggesting a 9:07 min/mile M Tempo and an 11:07 min/mile LR pace.

Let me know if any of that didn't make sense. Hope it helps!
Whew! Thank you for spelling it out! I'm going to go take notes and digest. My long runs have been around 9:40 ave pace with 2 min run/30 sec walk. 11:07 seems really slow to me. I haven't done a half in a few years, but you are right- I previously averaged around 1:50. My fulls have been slower (and not nearly as fun) than my HMs, which is why I'm trying out Galloway. Thanks for the guidance! Now I know what speeds to do my mid-week Peloton marathon training runs at.

SAFD: Chicago Marathon training right now!!! It's been hard training here in FL during the summer, but I'm getting it done. The heat/humidity really got to me last week so I took an extra rest day and it was just what I needed. My plan has been challenging in a good way. It's pushed me out of my comfort zone at times with some of the workouts (hello Yasso 800s and Fartleks), but it's built up my confidence at the same time. I was supposed to have surgery in October right after I got back from Chicago, take time off to recover then jump back into Dopey training, but it's up in the air right now with Covid. If it's canceled I'm waiting until after Dopey to have the surgery. I don't want to do it during the holidays and most importantly miss out on Dopey!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter