Marathon Weekend 2022

we actually ended up with a 1br since the studios the owner originally found (kidani and boulder ridge) were gone by the time I got back home and was able to call him. DS drove us to XC practice this morning, so i was busy texting on my phone with the owner. Nearly grown kids can be a real asset sometimes. :)

now to stalk for that last night......

I don't know if I'm more excited about the full size fridge, or the washer and dryer in the room. PLUS it will make things soooooo much better in the morning when I have to get up at dark-thirty to get ready for the race, being able to close the door for DH and DD to keep sleeping.
Oh it’s all so exciting! :love: I know it’s not necessary, but it’s wonderful all the same lol. I’ve stayed at Pop Century and in a DVC 1 br for race weekends. I loved the race energy, proximity to the expo, and abundance of buses at Pop, but staying in a 1 br was certainly a game changer!

SAFD:

We have WDW DVC points at BCV, CCV, and BLT, and those are always my top choices in that order! BCV only beats out CCV because of location/convenience. We love those three!

We’ve stayed at BWV a few times (my husband now says never again), Poly (one and done), and AK-Kidani (loved this one, but I’m not sure we’ll stay again unless we do a massive split stay). Not really interested in staying anywhere else on WDW property😅

SAFD:
Beach Club - Love being close to EPCOT and an easy walk to DHS. Love the pool also.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Haven't stayed here yet, but the Savannah view is on the bucket list, plus I love Boma.
Grand Floridian - Haven't stayed here yet either but it's one of my favorite resorts to visit.
Wilderness Lodge - Love the theming.
POFQ - Love the theming here also, the dragon slide at the pool and MIckey beignets.

It would appear from the discussion in the Marathon Weekend 2016 thread that on December 8th, 2015 the digital event guide was released (link). Based on the discussion that happens after that post, this was the first time we saw an official 2016 course route.

This post from July 9th, 2012 does seem to indicate that the 2013 marathon weekend course maps were released earlier (link).

Looking at the most recent courses I much prefer the one I ran in 2011 that looped through Epcot first then went to MK. I'd much rather do that than add miles at WWoS or a water park.

To realistically answer the SAFD question, If I could stay anywhere, I would choose a split stay between Art of Animation and Rivieria as they are the only 2 onsite resorts where I have not yet stayed.

To unrealistically answer the SAFD, and assuming money was no object, I would trade in my DVC contracts and buy a house in Golden Oak. :D

For what it's worth regarding course map distribution:

I looked in my old documents folder and I have course maps for the 2013 "Family 5K" & "20th Anniversary Marathon" that were dated 5/30/2012.
The 2013 Half course map dated 10/1/2012.
The 2013 Marathon program dated 12/14/2012.
The 2013 Corral Assignments dated 12/22/2012.

I have 2012 Half & Marathon maps dated 11/10/2011.
The 2012 Weekend Event Program that is dated 11/22/2011.

Re: course maps...

Some races release a tentative course map well before the race. rD treats it like a trade secret. The last 2 years of the marathon, probably due to the construction and the unknown, they waited quite a while to do the measurement. Late November for 2020, Sept and November for 2019. Before that, they would measure in May or July but still didn't release the map until about a month out.

Granted, things are always changing, but it would be nice if a tentative map was released with the basic idea, even if they have to make minor adjustments in November. I'm not sure how it would inform my training, but I do consider the way they wait as a providing 'lesser than' service. All the ways rD does that irks me to no end.

You can head to https://certifiedroadraces.com/search/ if you want to explore all kinds of course maps. Once certified, it will show up there, but that may not occur until after they publish the digital guide.

I'm curious about 3 big issues: Will there be any down and backs, will WWOS return (which I didn't mind as much as others. I like flat.), and will we be allowed to finish under Spaceship Earth again?

Chasing Dopey, I had forgotten about the dreadful out & backs they used to have. Uuugh!
Whatever they do they should NEVER include those again.

I also didn't mind WWoS and running on the spongy track surface.
That also reminds me of running around the WDW Speedway track during 2013-14?
Tough surface but cool seeing all the cars and nice people they brought in to line the track.
Sadly that option no longer exists.

Perhaps a loop around Fort Wilderness in lieu of WWoS?

I doubt they will be in any hurry to establish the 2022 course map.
I used to collect the old programs before they went completely digital. Sigh*

Yeah...not so much paper, but the digital guides were great when they were on rodale since they maintained unique guide identifiers and you could always go and find one when you wanted to remind yourself of something. Now that they are on RunDisney, they have wiped all that out. I end up going to Wayback Machine and can usually find what I'm looking for.

Chasing Dopey, I had forgotten about the dreadful out & backs they used to have. Uuugh!
Whatever they do they should NEVER include those again.

I also didn't mind WWoS and running on the spongy track surface.
That also reminds me of running around the WDW Speedway track during 2013-14?
Tough surface but cool seeing all the cars and nice people they brought in to line the track.
Sadly that option no longer exists.

Perhaps a loop around Fort Wilderness in lieu of WWoS?

I doubt they will be in any hurry to establish the 2022 course map.

Pulling in Fort Wilderness would require a dramatic change to the full course due to how far out of the way it is.

"Pulling in Fort Wilderness would require a dramatic change to the full course due to how far out of the way it is."

I disagree. The location of Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge etc, being between EPCOT & MK make it very doable.
It is hardly out of the way.
When I lived in Independence, just North of the Magic Kingdom I used to ride my bike all through that area.
Fort Wilderness transitions easily to the MK and was part of my 40 mile route.

Since the marathon now starts at 5 AM, it may be ideal to delay the entry into the Magic Kingdom.
There is a back way to Fort Wilderness that could be used to transition from EPCOT.
Exit out the main entrance towards Magic Kingdom.

This would be a legitimate effort to do away with WWoS that many simply do not enjoy running through.

Last edited:
Looking at the most recent courses I much prefer the one I ran in 2011 that looped through Epcot first then went to MK. I'd much rather do that than add miles at WWoS or a water park.

The 2010 and 2011 were some of my favorite courses too. I enjoyed the red/blue starting split because it kept the course from being too crowded for the first 2-4 miles. By the time they merged, people were already fairly spread out. Plus, running through Epcot in the dark with no noises other than the slapping of shoes and the whoosh of the fire torches is a peaceful and serene way to start a race. I enjoyed the WWoS portion of the later courses, mostly because there were lots of uncrowded character stops, a variety of surfaces to run on, and even some shady spots. The parking lot tour of Blizzard Beach from last year was far worse. If we have to run through there again, I'm definitely jumping into the water. :)

"Pulling in Fort Wilderness would require a dramatic change to the full course due to how far out of the way it is."

I disagree. The location of Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge etc, being between EPCOT & MK make it very doable.
It is hardly out of the way.
When I lived in Independence, just North of the Magic Kingdom I used to ride my bike all through that area.
Fort Wilderness transitions easily to the MK and was part of my 40 mile route.

Since the marathon now starts at 5 AM, it may be ideal to delay the entry into the Magic Kingdom.
There is a back way to Fort Wilderness that could be used to transition from EPCOT.
Exit out the main entrance towards Magic Kingdom.

This would be a legitimate effort to do away with WWoS that many simply do not enjoy running through.
Interesting. I was picturing heading to FW from the MK toll plaza, which seemed likely to add around 6 miles if you went any decent distance into FW. I guess if you went to Bonnet Creek Parkway and then took Vista Blvd to Fort Wilderness Trail, it would be more direct. But that would take World Drive out of the course, for the most part. Is there anything to see along Bonnet Creek Parkway? I guess the frontage of OKW and PO.

Interesting. I was picturing heading to FW from the MK toll plaza, which seemed likely to add around 6 miles if you went any decent distance into FW. I guess if you went to Bonnet Creek Parkway and then took Vista Blvd to Fort Wilderness Trail, it would be more direct. But that would take World Drive out of the course, for the most part. Is there anything to see along Bonnet Creek Parkway? I guess the frontage of OKW and PO.
If I were staying in Ft. Wilderness, I don't think I would want tens of thousands of people running through while I'm trying to sleep, or get out to the parks for the day. Plus the water stations, port-a-potties, cheering crowds, etc.

If I were staying in Ft. Wilderness, I don't think I would want tens of thousands of people running through while I'm trying to sleep, or get out to the parks for the day. Plus the water stations, port-a-potties, cheering crowds, etc.

They disrupt the Boardwalk area hotels with pre-dawn races and all this activity on the regular (most of the 10K and Half courses do either a half or full loop there). They could easily route the course through the main front section of the campground and on main roads without going through any of the camping loops, so runners aren't going directly next to camp sites.

Funny story about Boardwalk and races. We have stayed there several times during race weekends and there are signs and notifications EVERYWHERE -- in the lobby, notes in the room, phone calls to remind folks -- and yet there is always someone who doesn't get the memo. A few years ago when I was doing a 10K and my family had gathered in our Boardwalk view villa to cheer on runners, there was a couple who stormed out from another room onto their balcony. The guy started to yell about the noise, then stopped and realized what was happening. They just turned around and sulked back into their room and pulled the curtains.

I did see the half reopen. I’m not sure how long it stayed open, but there was a point last week when everything was open.

I saw that on Friday and I think it was available for at least an hour. I sent my husband a text at 10:30am letting him know all categories were open and then another at 1pm letting him know the 5K, 10K and half were sold out again.

SAFD: We've stayed at a lot of different resorts and like several for different reasons. Staying at CSR - Gran Destino Tower for Wine and Dine and Poly for Marathon Weekend. I really like Poly for Marathon Weekend because it's easy for spectators and I appreciate the monorail to/fro when it's open for races. Would love to try Riviera - that's next on the list and would switch for Wine and Dine a minute if it becomes available!

Crowd sourcing something here. My almost 8 year old daughter has been asking to come running with me for awhile now. I took her out the other day and she ran two miles pretty easy. At this point my main concern is 1) overdoing it and risking injury 2) making sure it’s still fun. Just looking for what kind of limits I should be looking for and keeping to, what kind of miles per week, max distance that kind of stuff. She is super excited to run the 5k with me next year when I run dopey.

Great advice here already! Adding a few thoughts based on my experience raising three runners and coaching elementary school cross country for a few years. It's so individual to each runner so I agree with all the advice to let kids take the lead in terms of goals, etc. Regarding shoes, we took our kids to our local running outfitter quite young for analysis - as soon as they were interested in running - to make sure their shoes were a good match for them. I run in barefoot style shoes but my kids have different shoe needs and preferences. In case it's helpful to know, our elementary and middle school cross country teams ran an average of 1.5 miles 3x per week, with races once a week around 2 miles each. So your daughter's distance is entirely consistent with our averages. Outside of that, our kids were/are really different in terms of avoiding injury and keeping it fun. @mateojr (our youngest) loves running and would run 3 miles with me on weekends, 10Ks, etc. in addition to practice - and now he runs 5x a week on his own and/or with me. Our middle son is more into speed than distance and didn't run outside of cross country when he was on the team (except for Disney races!) Our oldest son was never on the team but loves distance running and he's been running half marathons with me for years. For all three, the only injuries have been shoe-related, which are typically resolved by a trip back to the running outfitters for reevaluation and a different size/type of shoe. Hope that helps a bit - wishing you and your daughter happy running and a fantastic 5K race experience!!!

SAFD: This is such a tough one to answer.

1. WL - Stayed here for our 1st WDW trip for the kids so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. And I love Geyser Point!!!

2. BC/YC - Proximity to Epcot and decent restaurants is fantastic.

3. AKL - love how secluded this resort is. It’s so relaxing after the hustle and bustle of the parks. Plus all the animals!!!!!

I’m staying at Riviera for MW and so darned excited about it. It looks so beautiful 🤩

I’m so jealous of your riviera stay! The bathrooms look amazing and when sil and I stayed at cbr in February we ate breakfast at prima piatto 2x because it was closer than the restaurant at our resort. And the pool is absolutely adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter