Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: I just love reading these goals!! I love @SheHulk noting, "I can torture myself much more inexpensively at a local race!" I completely relate to that, along with so many other fun and happy aspirations for January!

My goals, as of today:
1. Help @mateojr across the half marathon finish line - hopefully with a smile, a great sense of accomplishment that extends to many other aspects of life, feelings of our great love and support and an overall fantastic race experience!!
2. Enjoy another half marathon with 22-yo son, who will fly down to meet us, help me with @mateojr's goal and run in yet another crazy race costume (for the 2020 half he was Edna Mode with dress, wig and glasses.) He would have a lot of fun at DATW but not sure he can stay that long!
3. Get our 21-yo son (a current badger!) to join us so our family of 5 can celebrate the weekend together!

Still on the fence about adding more as the full marathon and dopey sit there on the website telling me to "register now!"

So someone needs to explain the whole riding the rides part of things. Obviously the park needs to be open and the ride has to be open. Standby line? FP line? I’m trying to wrap my head around the wait times coupled with the marathon cutoff/sweepers.

Generally, the cast members and the park guests already waiting in line will let you move to the front of the single rider line if you ask nicely. This has worked well for us at ToT and RnRC each year. The same is typically true for Everest, especially since AK is not nearly as crowded when you get to the ride. For reference, doing both ToT and RnRC takes about 30-45 minutes from the time you step off the course in DHS to the time you get back on after the second ride.

SAFD:
1) Truly - I will just be grateful to toe the line in January! So if I am standing in a corral in the wee hours on an early January morning, ready to run around WDW, it's a WIN
2) Every marathon weekend I have the same basic goal - to be trained enough that I can get through the races in decent time, have fun, and have enough energy to take a celebration stroll in the parks afterwards.

Finish my first Dopey
Do my first race(s) in costume. (Can we wear them to the park later? )
Finish in reasonable times, but with taking the time to get photos with characters
Take a ride during a race? I've never thought about doing that. Maybe...
Hang out with the Goof Troop or some of the other forum members post-race or maybe at dinner.

Last year, I was hoping to compete for an age group award in either the 10K or half - especially with the reduced field. It doesn’t look like they are doing age group this year so assuming that does not change, my goals will be simple: in person races happen and me and my family are all healthy enough to run and finish all our races. My wife is registered for her first marathon. My daughter and I are both doing our second Dopey.

SAFD:

I look forward to going back and actually reading everyone’s goals. Didn’t have a lot of time today and my reading comprehension wasn’t the best as I was skimming.

My goals in running have always been to help better my health and raise my self-esteem. Marathon Weekend has been my reward for reaching those goals. Well, to be blunt, the last couple Marathon Weekends haven’t felt like a reward. They’ve been an out and out punishment for failing to train, fuel, and recover properly. All of this culminated in losing my Perfect Dopey status in 2020 when I failed to start the Marathon because of blisters.

On top of that, the last year and a half has been awful. I can’t blame anything other than myself, my laziness and lack of motivation. I’m not starting from scratch, but I may as well be.

Maybe my goals should be modest but, realistically, modest isn’t going to make Marathon Weekend as much fun again. I need to regain all of the health and fitness I’ve lost over the course of 6 years. I know it’s possible to do this in a healthy manner in the next 5 months but it’s going to take work ethic and discipline I haven’t shown myself capable of in a long time.

But I want to set the bar high because I know I can reach it and want to so badly. With all that in mind, my goals are:

-Get back under 200 lbs.
-Be prepared to PR all 4 races. I don’t anticipate running all/any? of the races for time; this is more about the probability that it would be possible
-Get to the Weekend with less anxiety and have more fun on the course
-Set myself up for further success in the future
-Don’t give up

SAFD:
The overall goal of course is to finish 48.6 in person miles with a smile on my face (not to hard to do when I’m in WDW) and enjoy a nice trip with my wife who supports my insanity.

Specifically:
The 5K is going to be a PR quest, looking for 23:xx and then enjoy any photo-ops before the buses head back to the resorts

The 10K will be a nice recovery run, hoping for some interesting characters

The half will be the same

The full is a challenge where I enjoy pushing myself and will look for a sub-4 (hopefully for a second time, we’ll see what happens here in October)

Also hoping to meet up with people from the board, especially those running CRAW, it seems most of the team will be at MW. 😊

SAFD:
Finish Dopey for the third time and have fun in the process.

I do enough runs for time that it's nice to show up at a race every once in a while with a goal of nothing but finish and enjoy the run. The course and race atmosphere at Disney is
ideal for just enjoying the experience and sharing it with like-minded runners. The exhilaration of 4 days of running (and scoring medals!) is a great way to start the running year.

Last edited:
SAFD:
Jumping in as I’m registered for my first Dopey!

Goals:
1. Make it to MW healthy and feeling like I absolutely crushed and actually enjoyed the training process leading up to the event.
2. Squash the I-am-woefully-undertrained-for-this-race anxiety that I have experienced in the past so that I am able to relax and enjoy the race.
3. Make some new friends who enjoy running at Disney as much as I do.
4. Run the 10K WITH my son.
5. For these races to be just the beginning of many more races to come!

SAFD:
1. To have fun, mostly. I haven't done a race since SW in 2019, and that includes any local races. So while I do have severe FOMO on Dopey, I will probably stick to the 10k and half. Feels like starting all over again.
2. Pre-race meet-ups, Hurricane Hannah's and DATW! I miss y'all! :)

SAFD:
1. Have fun
2. Stop for any characters that I want
3. If I feel good, and I can accomplish 1 & 2 in the process, try and PR the 5k (under 26:28).

My main goal for runDisney has always been to have fun. I pay enough for it, that I want to enjoy it without the stress of trying to PR. I have, just because I have gotten faster over time, PR’d a few races at Disney without trying too hard for it - and there is usually great energy from other runners that it has made it fun in the process.😁

SAFD: I'm in Florida, and if you've seen the news down here this past week, well... you know. At this point, my only real hope for MW is that it happens and happens safely. I came home from MW2020 with what we now believe to have been COVID and I'm still dealing with some long-haul issues from it.

But I guess that isn't a personal goal. I'm registered for Dopey, so I think my goals will be:
  • Have fun.
  • Prioritize my health and safety above most else.
  • 48.6 is a really annoying number: do a little extra in each race (which from past experience I know isn't hard lol) to make a nice, round 50 for WDW's 50th and my own 50th! I feel like the real challenge there is guessing just how much extra I'll end up tacking on in the marathon, so as to avoid adding too much in the other races. My first WDW full clocked in at over 27 miles, so...

Last year, I was hoping to compete for an age group award in either the 10K or half - especially with the reduced field. It doesn’t look like they are doing age group this year so assuming that does not change, my goals will be simple: in person races happen and me and my family are all healthy enough to run and finish all our races. My wife is registered for her first marathon. My daughter and I are both doing our second Dopey.
I assume they will still post the results with age/sex filters, so you can still see if you would get a group award. I was able to get an award in the Princess 2020 half marathon (last on site race before covid hit). It tool forever for them to mail them out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter