• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD:

First, thanks for all responses to last week’s question. DW and I watched Hunchback and Hercules for a couple date nights lol!

Non-Disney favorite races:
-Pittsburgh Half Marathon - have done it several times. My first half was the Pittsburgh half so that holds a special a place in my heart.
-The Biggest Loser Half Marathon in Erie, PA. I know there’s been controversy over the show. But there were past contestants there who came in and we got to have a lot of one on one conversations with them. They were really inspiring and genuine. It was a great experience with the goal of everyone to just get out and move no matter your pace. It was also the race that had my PR until this past October.

Bucket list races:
-Air Force half marathon on the Air Force base in Dayton OH
-Rock n Roll Series half marathon-either NOLA, Nashville, or Virginia Beach.
I don’t see myself attempting a full outside of Dopey (here’s to 2022!).

Favorite non-Disney races:
Boston, Chicago, Berlin - There's nothing like a World Marathon Major race for excitement and energy. Boston is my favorite Major so far, but they're all great.
Richmond - My first and, a few years later, my fastest. I do this one every year, and every few years it's also on my birthday. I'll be doing this race as long as I'm able.
Marine Corps - This race has great energy and goes right through the heart of DC. It's also my "hometown" race, so I enjoy it.
North Face Endurance Challenge DC - My first trail race, first 50K and later my first 50-miler. Unfortunately, this series seems to have ceased nationwide. I'd love to see it come back.

Bucket list races:
NYC, London, Tokyo - Need to complete the Majors.
Comrades - A legendary ultra. Hopefully I can work it into my schedule in 2022 or 23.
Any 100-miler - The challenge of that distance is irresistible. I just need to pick one and convince some of my running buddies to join me - suffering is better with good company! :teeth:

Bucket list races:
-Air Force half marathon on the Air Force base in Dayton OH
-Rock n Roll Series half marathon-either NOLA, Nashville, or Virginia Beach.
I don’t see myself attempting a full outside of Dopey (here’s to 2022!).
I ran the Air Force Half Marathon a couple years ago. It was a fun race to do. Most memorable moment was turning a corner in the housing area to the smell of bacon. A bock down, a family was cooking and serving bacon to the runners. I am returning to run the half again this year.

Non-disney. races
----------
PTRR on July 4th is always fun especialy with community support
New York City marathon - same thnig - community support was amazing

bucket llist
-------------
Chicaago Marathon
Marine Corp Marathon
would love to do boston but will likely need to be 95 at my pace to think about qualiying.

and the crazy one... The Great Wall Marathon.
Though after watching the documentary on espn 30 for 30 that race with the Tarahumara people looks interesting.

SAFD:
My favorite non-Disney races
- Grand Island Trail Marathon
- Sleepy Hollow Trail Half
- Grand Rapids River Bank 25K
- Bayshore Marathon
- Run Woodstock 50
All in Michigan and offer beautiful surroundings. I hope to do Grand Island again.

Bucket list
- Run Woodstock 100
- Avenue of the Giants
- Marine Corps Marathon
- Chicago and/or New York
- Cascade Crest 100
I used to live in Humboldt Redwoods State Park where Avenue of the Giants is run. I never ran it and am kicking myself for that now! But I will get back there to do it at some point. But the first of these that I am going to check off (if in-person is offered) will be Woodstock 100 in September. My training plan for that race begins this week.
(I might be a little intimidated!)

Bucket list races:
NYC, London, Tokyo - Need to complete the Majors.
Comrades - A legendary ultra. Hopefully I can work it into my schedule in 2022 or 23.
Any 100-miler - The challenge of that distance is irresistible. I just need to pick one and convince some of my running buddies to join me - suffering is better with good company! :teeth:

Comrades - A legendary ultra. Hopefully I can work it into my schedule in 2022 and 23. Fixed it for you. You want to get the back to back medal, don’t you? ;)

- Sleepy Hollow Trail Half

How is this race? By “trail” do they mean like single-track hiking trail through the woods? I’ve been looking for a 10mi race to maybe help a PoT if MW happens and this is one of only 2 or 3 that I can find that happen in-state. And I could probably convince DH to make it a camping weekend too if there are still any sites available.

I haven’t been able to find much info about this race at all, but I’m on the email list if they decide they can host it this year.

Comrades - A legendary ultra. Hopefully I can work it into my schedule in 2022 and 23. Fixed it for you. You want to get the back to back medal, don’t you? ;)

There's a back-to-back medal?!?! Suddenly, I feel the need to run Comrades in both directions . . .

I have a POT question. If I'm doing Dopey, how would it work if my POT is from a 15K since 15K appears in the past to be an acceptable POT distance for the half, but not the whole?

(Note: I'm kind of excited to be looking at local in-person races that might have a chance of actually happening)

I have a POT question. If I'm doing Dopey, how would it work if my POT is from a 15K since 15K appears in the past to be an acceptable POT distance for the half, but not the whole?

(Note: I'm kind of excited to be looking at local in-person races that might have a chance of actually happening)

I‘m pretty sure Dopey requires a PoT race to be at least 10 miles.

SAFD:
I'm behind! I will echo everyone who said Tarzan, Mulan and Hercules soundtracks. They aren't my favorite movies, but they have AMAZING soundtracks! Also a sucker for the early 90s movie soundtracks: Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin...

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite non-Disney race you've participated in and/or what races are on your bucket list?
Indianapolis Mini-Marathon
SAFD:
Mini Marathon (HM) in Indianapolis, IN
I’ve run the Indianapolis Monumental several times.

Shoutout to all the Indy love! The Indy Mini is my hometown race. I wasn't ready for a half marathon last year (and then it went virtual). I was waiting to sign-up for it this year to see if it would be in-person, but it went virtual again. It is my only non-Disney bucket list event at this point in time because I'm so new to races. I really want to do it when its in person again! There are also associated races leading up to it, and you can sign up to complete the whole slew of them as a challenge. That's hopefully on the docket for 2022!

I've ONLY done virtual races, so I'm really looking forward to doing an in-park race!

Dopey requires 10 miles or longer.

Dopey requires 10 miles or longer.

So doing the 15K would only be accepted if I was only doing the half? I kind of thought that it would work that way since if I recall correctly, you use the same bib for all (or some) of the Dopey races. But I was kind of wondering. There is only one half marathon length run currently scheduled in my area in the fall - and it is not in a great place on the calendar - so I was hoping that the 15K would be useful for something. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

So doing the 15K would only be accepted if I was only doing the half? I kind of thought that it would work that way since if I recall correctly, you use the same bib for all (or some) of the Dopey races. But I was kind of wondering. There is only one half marathon length run currently scheduled in my area in the fall - and it is not in a great place on the calendar - so I was hoping that the 15K would be useful for something. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

Correct. If you were running 5k, 10k or half indivoddually you could use the 15k but dopey you just give one POT. You do normally get twp bibs - one for 5k, 10k and one for half/full but only because the half/full have more corrals. Whatever corral you get for half you get for the full.

Favorite non-Disney races:

Chicago Marathon
Amway River Bank Run 25K
North Country Trail Half

Bucket List:

Any or all of the Majors
All of the Vacation Race races
Big Sur
Grandma's
Flying Pig
A 50K - TBD recommendations welcome

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I have some sticky notes somewhere with bucket list races written on them.

A 50K - TBD recommendations welcome

The Marine Corps Marathon organization debuted a Marine Corps 50K in 2019. It's run in conjunction with the MCM, but with a 30 minute head-start. It follows the same course (+8K on an out-and-back road) as the MCM, so there's plenty of crowd support, etc. If you're looking for a road 50K, it's a pretty good one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter