• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD:
I run for experiences, not time or records, and there's no better experience than runDisney. The parks. The characters. The entertainment. The energy. That turn into Magic Kingdom and when you first see the castle. Riding a friggin roller coaster in the middle of a marathon. "Magical" really is the only word to describe it. And then being able to walk around the parks with my medal on and the conversations and interactions that come from that really put the experience over the top.

Question that I don't remember if we've discussed - do we think there will still be 50th anniversary stuff going on during marathon weekend? I'm trying to remember how long they 60th anniversary stuff at DL lasted but I'm blanking. The anniversary is October 1st ... it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the anniversary stuff to stick around for 3+ months, would it?
I think 50th anniversary celebration will last more than a year. Also, I'm seeing rumors there's going to be a big reveal on good morning america tomorrow morning regarding the 50th plans. Have only seen that on one site so far, so don't know yet how much is accurate.
Ok, found the official message:

More info tomorrow on GMA!

I just made a reservation at Copper Creek for Marathon Weekend! Whee! I've been not running for these past two months. Time to get back in the saddle!

I'm not sure how to ensure that I get in my registrations for the half-marathon. Based on what I've seen so far, registration is an early morning, button-mashing type thing, right? Is there an easier way?

I just made a reservation at Copper Creek for Marathon Weekend! Whee! I've been not running for these past two months. Time to get back in the saddle!

I'm not sure how to ensure that I get in my registrations for the half-marathon. Based on what I've seen so far, registration is an early morning, button-mashing type thing, right? Is there an easier way?

Your options are: 1) Mash those buttons :) 2) Get a bib through a TA (which requires hotel and usually tickets) 3) Run with a charity (which requires a generally hefty fundraising commitment)

If you have DVC or an AP then there is usually a limited availability pre-sale--but that often goes faster than regular registration.

Your options are: 1) Mash those buttons :) 2) Get a bib through a TA (which requires hotel and usually tickets) 3) Run with a charity (which requires a generally hefty fundraising commitment)

If you have DVC or an AP then there is usually a limited availability pre-sale--but that often goes faster than regular registration.

Button-mashing ahoy! Thanks for your help!

I’ll also add button-mashing with multiple devices, if possible! Having an idea of the questions ahead of time is important; you want to move quickly because nothing is guaranteed until you reach the final confirmation page. Don’t waste time thinking about prepurchasing items during registration - you can do that when you’re finished! If you’re paying with a Disney gift card, make sure the value of the card is enough to pay the entire registration fee plus the 6.6% (I think it’s 6.6, don’t quote me lol).

I’m looking to Marathon Weekend for my next runDisney race, so I’m hoping it will be live and we’ll all get the registrations we’re hoping for! pixiedust:

Good morning, rundisney all-stars!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite counter service restaurant?

I have one that is a must-do every trip and two others that have become quick favorites, but I've only tried once.

1. Columbia Harbour House has been my favorite counter service since our first family trip about eight years ago. The menu really isn't anything to write home about, but I have a weakness for fried shrimp. But I love the setting, the quiet of the upstairs eating area and the location. MK dining is a little weak, IMO, so this is always a reliable option.

2. Flame Tree BBQ. It's popular for a reason. Great food, great portion sizes - you could probably share the platter with another adult and get full. My youngest daughter loved having the birds around while we ate. I've only managed to eat their once, but I'll be back.

3. Satuli Cantine. Another one I've only done once, but what a great, unique menu. Really tasty noodle bowl and I need to go back to try the cheeseburger bao pods.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD: Here are my favorites at each park, although @lhermiston has spoiled a couple, already:

Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbour House. My favorite counter service at WDW, bar none. I love the lobster roll and clam chowder. Add in cool, mostly quiet upstairs seating and it really can’t be beat on a hot, busy day in the Kingdom. I’ve been eating here since the clam chowder came in a sourdough bread bowl. How I wish they’d bring that back!

Epcot: Tangierine Cafe. The lamb shawarma platter is great, with a nice baklava to add if the dessert mood strikes you. The atmosphere is typically calm and quiet with it not usually being crowded. A not so hidden gem.

Animal Kingdom. Flame Tree Barbecue. Ribs, onion rings, isolated lakeside seating, what more could you ask for? Watch out for the white ibises, though. I got up to get napkins on a solo trip and lost most of my lunch to ibises swooping in while my back was turned!

Hollywood Studios: Not a big fan of much that’s here, to be honest. With Galaxy’s Edge opening, Docking Bay 7 has stepped in to fill the void of good counter service, though. Nice atmosphere with good food that’s a step up from the other counter service offerings in the park.

SAFD:
We tend to do most of our counter service type dining in the World Showcase with our favorites being:
1. UK - Yorkshire County Fish Shop: Fish & Chips, great tasty snack or meal!
2. Morocco - Tangierine Cafe: Shawarma Chicken and Lamb Platter
3. America - Regal Eagle: Almost anything! Pleasantly surprised during our last trip in January. Good selection, portion size and pricing!

4. Honorable mention to the variety of beer and other drink selections at the above mentioned locations.

Before I let you go,
I wanted everyone to know
before this message was sent,
that I gave up poetry for lent.

I'll stop...... I promise!

Hollywood Studios: Not a big fan of much that’s here, to be honest. With Galaxy’s Edge opening, Docking Bay 7 has stepped in to fill the void of good counter service, though. Nice atmosphere with good food that’s a step up from the other counter service offerings in the park.

I tried the totchos at Woody’s Lunch Box last trip and was pretty pleased.

Magic Kingdom: Gaston’s Tavern (It’s not vacation without a warm cinnamon roll)

My 6 y/o brings up the “ginormous” cinnamon rolls at Gastons every time we talk about WDW, without fail.

SAFD: WDW has done a really good job upgrading their counter service options in the last few years, whether opening new locations or upgrading the offerings at their long-standing locations.

My favorites:
Satu’li Canteen
B88EB12E-5557-4559-8DEA-D4BA5C6F9437.jpeg
The beef with hearty salad is my go to any time I’m in AK. I’m sure everything else is good as well. Got dessert on this occasion in late January as it had been over a year since I’d been to WDW and had a bit of a treat yo’ self weekend.

Gideon’s Bakehouse
148046EA-E041-44F5-9CD1-438A07B31EA8.jpeg26B8CDA8-1821-4105-BDD4-BB5C66CC9766.jpeg
Figured I’d bring Disney Springs into things. Gideon’s is every bit worth the hype IMO. That piece of cake was three nights worth of dessert and that still felt indulgent. The coffee cake and cookies and cream were the standouts on the cookie side of things. ETA: I should’ve found something a little more glam to display the cookies, but that’s an oversize paper plate. The cookies didn’t necessarily live up to the legendary size I pictured in my head, but they were substantial.

Other favorites (without pictures):

Les Halles
Tangierine Cafe
Docking Bay 7-Got to try the Felucian Garden spread on the trip and it was excellent
Anandapur Ice Cream Truck-really anywhere with twist soft serve in a waffle cone
Gaston’s Tavern and Sleepy Hollow-Cinnamon roll and hand-dipped corn dogs. I often sugar crash in MK when sleepy hollow doesn’t have the corn dogs on the menu. Easy to find sugar in that park and more difficult to find savory options.
Polite Pig

Haven't found a place to write home about in HS (granted, we stay at BWV, so we don't go out of the way to eat there), but for the other parks...
MK- Columbia Harbour House- Trio Platter- fried chicken, fish, and shrimp
EPCOT- brats in Germany, with beer and cake. The Friars Nook over in MK had some good brats, as well, but it looks like they may have changed those to plant based. nothing wrong with that, but can't vouch for them until I try it.
AK- Flame Tree for the BBQ sandwich and onion rings. need to try the Satu'li Cafe, because that salad BarcaRunner posted looks incredible.

SAFD:
For us we often go back to the same ones because both my daughters have Celiac. So absolutely no gluten or even shared equipment. So we have found a places that are best for us and go there again and again. Here are my family’s go to favorites at each park.

Epcot: La Cantina in Mexico - absolutely love the tacos and spicy hot sauce!

Magic Kingdom: Pecos Bills Cafe - I am a sucker for the condiment bar. Always a good meal. And we like that area of MK a lot.

Animal Kingdom: Flame Tree BBQ - for all the reasons already shared; including the birds! Honestly though good food, great value and the seating area is so peaceful.

Hollywood Studios: ABC Commissary - this is simply nostalgia for us. We eat lunch there every trip. I have memories of my youngest (who is 13 now) eating from her stroller in there. The girls almost always get the gluten free chicken nuggets. And for me it is always the biggest burger on the menu.

Honorable Mention: POP Century Resort’s dining area. The year my girls were diagnosed with Celiac was really rough. It was a constant “no you can’t have that”, “no we can’t go there anymore “. Our annual Disney trip that year was the opposite. And the best place was at POP. The girls were able to have chicken nuggets, fries, pizza, etc. which for 4 & 8 year olds there is nothing better. But more importantly the service and attention to our dietary needs was so awesome! As opposed to being made to feel different and a hassle the staff went out of their way to make the girls feel special. We will always hold a special place for POP for that reason!

SAFD:

Satu'li Canteen - DAK - This is a must do every trip. The bowls are light but filling, and the flavors are all unique, and very delicious. There's no bad combination at all.

Sassagoula Floatworks - POFQ - I love their beignets! I could eat them until I get sick.

ABC Commissary - DHS - Before the pandemic, their food was rather so-so. The menu retooling when they reopened was a real eye opener! It went from a "there's better in DHS" to pretty much the must-stop in there.

Sassagoula Floatworks - POFQ - I love their beignets! I could eat them until I get sick.

My daughters and I were just talking about the beignets this morning! We stayed at POR during MW2019 and after the half I stopped at Sassagoula to try the beignets, which we'd never had before. I didn't know how many we needed, so I used like four snack credits and each snack credit had three beignets. So, I walked in the door to my just-waking up family with a bag of a dozen toasty beignets. A very tasty memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter