• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

for this week's Sundays are for Disney, what do you love about runDisney and the Disney races?

I've only done virtual races so far. I do love that they motivate me to do something that's good for me! I really cannot wait till I can do an in-park race. I booked POP this morning for 1/7/22-1/12/22! I also got some physical therapy scheduled so I can get my knee into tip-top shape. Here's hoping to completing my first marathon next year!

I booked Caribbean Beach this morning 1/5-1/15. We are going to make it a run weekend and then family vacation. Was hoping to book French Quarter but it is not available yet. They did indicate that it might be opened later; I am hoping! So nice to have a trip listed on My Disney Experience again! Now we just need Marathon Weekend to happen and I need a Dopey spot!

I grabbed a room at ASM from 1/6 - 1/11. I have no idea if I'm going to be able to come down for race weekend or not based on where it falls related to Christmas break / the end of the semester (or if I'll even have the days off left to do it) but I figure I'd rather have a room and cancel it than have nothing and want it later on.

I just booked Caribbean Beach, as well, from 1/4 - 1/11. I went through a TA who specializes in RunDisney in hopes that they’ll be able to add a Dopey bib if and when the race weekend is announced. Fingers crossed!

Have you stayed there before? If so did it work well for bus access for the races? Any hints or tips? My daughters are very excited to try a new resort, but I have never stayed there or even explored it.

Last edited:
Is that the one around mile 16 or 17?
I should let @PrincessV answer in case I'm thinking of a different one. Don't get me wrong, that portion of the marathon causes despair also, and would earn the title. But I'm thinking of late in the half marathons, I don't know the exact mile, around 10? It's a curly-cue where you can see all these people who are already ahead of you and you're often very tired. Either one fits really.

Booked at ASM from Jan 4-11. Never stayed here before. Looking forward to it! Might switch to offsite or Pop, but plenty of time for those decisions! Planning on registering for Dopey :-)

SAFD:

What I love most about RD is that everyone is so excited to be there! I love looking at the costumes and feeling the excitement and joy. I just don't get the same feeling of fun at other races. I'm past the point in my running career where I'm trying to set PRs or place well. So I appreciate that more lighthearted atmosphere. Not that people there aren't serious about their running, but they know how to have fun too.

I also love the character stops and opportunity to ride runs during the races. Where else can you do that?!

Many other things too, but others have already mentioned so I won't rehash it all.

Have you started there before? If so did it work well for bus access for the races? Any hints or tips? My daughters are very excited to try a new resort, but I have never stayed there or even explored it.
We have stayed there for several race weekends. It’s a great resort—one of our favorites. Our best race bus experience ever was there, actually. We literally walked out our room door, a few feet to the waiting, almost empty bus.

Have you started there before? If so did it work well for bus access for the races? Any hints or tips? My daughters are very excited to try a new resort, but I have never stayed there or even explored it.

I stayed there for Marathon Weekend 2020 and absolutely loved it! I was in the Jamaica enclave and there was a bus stop very close by. Normally I don’t like the massive resorts like CBR and CSR, but the Skyliner makes all the difference. I could walk out of my room and be at the gate of DHS in 5-10 min. The drop off at the Epcot International Gateway was super, too. My best suggestion is to look at the resort map and request a building convenient to a bus stop, Skyliner and food court (you may have to pick 2 of the 3 to optimize). Check out Buildings 44-46, for example.

Have you stayed there before? If so did it work well for bus access for the races? Any hints or tips? My daughters are very excited to try a new resort, but I have never stayed there or even explored it.
I kind of had the same question so thanks for asking it.
I appreciate the enthusiastic answers we got too!

I was chatting with DH on our lunch walk today and we were trying to see the incremental value of one resort vs the others.
For example, if Pop is 50$ per night more than ASMo, is the Skyliner worth the difference? (for us, a yes).
If BC is 50$ Per night more than Pop, is the luxury, the pool and walking to Epcot worth it ? (for us, a yes but we know that most times of the year the price difference will be much much more).
We have never been to Caribbean Beach. We know the resort is huge. What are the advantages of CB over Pop for race weekend that would justify an hypothetical 50$ per night difference?

ETA: I really mean, in the context of a runDisney weekend. Level of energy, number of runners, ease of transportation, etc.

Last edited:
SAFD: There's has been much I've said before as to why I love runDisney and Disney races. My DW and I walk the 5K due to my DW's knee issues. Everyone is so supportive and just happy to see us there doing there. I wish all races were like that. I have done a marathon yet, but we're planning on doing MW 2022, and I am training for Dopey (first marathon!). We got to the stage where we don't do gifts for b-days, anniversary, holidays. We'd rather do experiences, and our annual one is W&D (due to where it falls in my work schedule). After the 2019 W&D and our awesome time there, we decided it was time to get some ink to show how much runDisney has inspired us to get healthy. The pics are right after the tattoo artist was done, so they may look a little rough, but they've healed up great. DW has the heartbeat, and I have the W&D logo with mileage for all three races for the weekend. When (not if - have to be confident - there'll be another tattoo coming for that haha). One of my favorite parts of the race is the "3.....2......1.....GOOOOOOOOOOOOO (cue the fireworks)". It pumps me up each time!

We have never been to Caribbean Beach. We know the resort is huge. What are the advantages of CB over Pop for race weekend that would justify an hypothetical 50$ per night difference?
The only differences I can think of are the rooms at CB will be slightly bigger and the pool has a waterslide.

@flav CBR has a hot tub--if that's of any import to you for post-race R&R. Beyond that, can't think of anything that would make a moderate more desirable from a runner standpoint. (but I tend to be in my own little world anyway). Having stayed at Pop for several race weekends, I find it does the trick. (this from a person who said "Never will I ever" when it first opened)

@flav CBR has a hot tub--if that's of any import to you for post-race R&R. Beyond that, can't think of anything that would make a moderate more desirable from a runner standpoint. (but I tend to be in my own little world anyway). Having stayed at Pop for several race weekends, I find it does the trick. (this from a person who said "Never will I ever" when it first opened)
Pop has become my fave for race weekends! This is after staying at at least 5 different resort hotels for various race weekends, including the Contemporary on the monorail. Pop has so many buses lined up first thing in the morning. It calms my nerves not having to wait for a bus to show up. I love all the food court options when I'm freaking out a little about fueling. I remember searching for a coffee at Beach Club at 3am with no luck in the past, but at Pop I seem to remember the food court was open super-early for MW 2020? With the addition of the skyliner it's even better. We don't usually stay there for regular vacations but it's become a go-to for race weekends for us.

And I know @flav knows all about it because I bumped into her on the elevator in the morning at Pop this past year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter