Marathon Weekend 2022

What is the Goof Troop? :)
The people to blame for the shenanigans you pull during marathon weekend. :rotfl:

It’s a bunch of friends and people from this board who get together during marathon weekend to meet up before the races, run the races together, go to happy hour on Friday, regroup after the races for parking lot beers, and generally make the running as fun as it can be. @lhermiston will be the ringleader this year.

additionally, my understanding is that the goof troop runs somewhere between 8-9:00ish min/miles 10-12:00min/miles when they are running and not up to their hijinx.

but I could be complete wrong (spoiler alert, I was and have updated it.) Just looking at the times they put in their info things for the master spreadsheet, expected run paces, etc. makes it seem like this is a faster group.

Last edited:
Sorry to come in with a downer post, but I’m starting to get really anxious about this weekend. Lots of things are being canceled again because of Covid and while deep down I don’t think Marathon Weekend will, is it going to be any fun or just have a dark cloud hanging over it? It’s so unbelievably frustrating. :guilty:
I’m getting a little concerned about being in such a large crowd again. The last time I was in a crowd like that was Princess 2020, right before everything changed. Like you, I don’t think the event will be canceled, but I’m hoping my nervousness doesn’t cause me to bring my own dark cloud over the race. Running gave me the opportunity to find happiness again during the pandemic, so I’ve been looking forward to celebrating that during MW. For now I’m just continuing to do what I can do, and hoping for the best.

additionally, my understanding is that the goof troop runs somewhere between 8-9:00ish min/miles when they are running and not up to their hijinx.

but I could be complete wrong. Just looking at the times they put in their info things for the master spreadsheet, expected run paces, etc. makes it seem like this is a faster group.

You're completely wrong. Most of the people in the Goof Troop run 10-12 minute miles.

You're completely wrong. Most of the people in the Goof Troop run 10-12 minute miles.
Although John is correct about the 10-12 minute pace, that is still a bit fast for some of us. About a hundred or more pages back there was some fun discussion about also having a "not-so-fast" group that would replicate some of the Goof Troop shenanigans and join them for the off course activities. I hope that when the @DopeyBadger spreadsheet is published there will be a group of like minded runners more in the 13-14? minute mile pace.

Sorry to come in with a downer post, but I’m starting to get really anxious about this weekend. Lots of things are being canceled again because of Covid and while deep down I don’t think Marathon Weekend will, is it going to be any fun or just have a dark cloud hanging over it? It’s so unbelievably frustrating. :guilty:

As a public health professional it’s weighing on me too. I’m not going to start a war about this, so if you don’t agree please just leave this statement be, but the best thing everyone can do before this event is get boosted. I’m hoping it doesn’t get canceled too, I could really use some fun, but I’ve had to make some really difficult choices for the college where I work in the last couple days so I’m also mentally preparing myself.

I am in a complete funk today. Somehow, while nursing my calf issue, I have completely screwed up my hip--and no I don't believe I have changed anything about how I run. I don't know where this latest came from. So now my entire right leg has decided it just doesn't want to play anymore.

Anyone ever done a marathon with a LR of 11 miles? I'm thinking that may be all I get. So my plans of running with any group may be out the window. I just want to start, and hopefully finish. I have run races injured before, just never so "undertrained".

I am in a complete funk today. Somehow, while nursing my calf issue, I have completely screwed up my hip--and no I don't believe I have changed anything about how I run. I don't know where this latest came from. So now my entire right leg has decided it just doesn't want to play anymore.

Anyone ever done a marathon with a LR of 11 miles? I'm thinking that may be all I get. So my plans of running with any group may be out the window. I just want to start, and hopefully finish. I have run races injured before, just never so "undertrained".

My first marathon was run based on a long run of 11 or 12 miles and having never run more than a half marathon before. I was rehabbing a torn hamstring and my PT had limited me to 1:00/3:00 intervals to protect it. My advice is to honestly assess if you’re going to do long term damage by running the race. If yes, then consider skipping it, as painful as that decision might be. If no, then set an interval structure that you think will be as comfortable for it as possible. Evaluate as the race goes on and be ready to adjust the intervals as needed.

I’m getting a little concerned about being in such a large crowd again. The last time I was in a crowd like that was Princess 2020, right before everything changed. Like you, I don’t think the event will be canceled, but I’m hoping my nervousness doesn’t cause me to bring my own dark cloud over the race. Running gave me the opportunity to find happiness again during the pandemic, so I’ve been looking forward to celebrating that during MW. For now I’m just continuing to do what I can do, and hoping for the best.
i don't have any concern about the crowds at the races outdoors. Honestly, with the new variant, hotels are a MUCH higher risk than standing around and running outside. If I was a local and driving in, I wouldn't' even be that stressed but from people traveling in from all over the country, a lot more to think about and it is depressing considering sans some minor weather, Wine and Dine went off without a hitch. Florida will probably be ramping about that time from everyone traveling down this week from the NE that have it and don't even know it. I put the chances of them cancelling at 0, but I am interested to see if they give people the option to go virtual because honestly it will take some people years to accept this is just going to be a thing going forward and very few people have the same exact level of risk at any given time.

Having a rough week over here too. Did my long run Wednesday and got my booster a few hours after. Felt horrible all day Thursday, fever, chills, sweating. Woke up yesterday with my armpit swollen to the size of an orange and also painful. Today I've got an itchy rash at the injection site and still the swelling. I know all my hard work is done and missing a few runs this week won't ruin anything, but I'm so frustrated that I've put in all this hard work and I feel like it's falling apart at the last minute. Coupled with general COVID fatigue and constant anxiety about the new variant I'm just feeling crappy. Trying to get some rest today and hopefully tomorrow will be better and I'll be able to get back on track. Hang in there everyone!

I feel you Maura. It’s been a crappy training cycle for me. I am hoping for 150 minutes of running tomorrow. Normally that would be about 16 miles. Right now if I cover 13 miles I will be happy. I did see my PT yesterday so today everything is quite sore. She recommended me to do a run walk. It’s just not something I normally do. Still toying with the idea for tomorrow. I am hoping to get a start group of S1 and was gonna run with @camaker but I am thinking you and I can be the ”too injured“ group. Yes my right side is a complete wreck.

11 miles is nearly half, and plenty long enough for the marathon. IMHO, you're better off taking it easy and letting the body repair itself for 4-5 (or until things feel right), and then doing a short run or two. Just my 2 cents

As a public health professional it’s weighing on me too. I’m not going to start a war about this, so if you don’t agree please just leave this statement be, but the best thing everyone can do before this event is get boosted. I’m hoping it doesn’t get canceled too, I could really use some fun, but I’ve had to make some really difficult choices for the college where I work in the last couple days so I’m also mentally preparing myself.
I got boosted 2 weeks ago and everyone I’m going with is also boosted, so I really hope our risk is low. I’m doing all I can and really don’t know what else to do. I will also be planning to mask in the corrals.

Having a rough week over here too. Did my long run Wednesday and got my booster a few hours after. Felt horrible all day Thursday, fever, chills, sweating. Woke up yesterday with my armpit swollen to the size of an orange and also painful. Today I've got an itchy rash at the injection site and still the swelling. I know all my hard work is done and missing a few runs this week won't ruin anything, but I'm so frustrated that I've put in all this hard work and I feel like it's falling apart at the last minute. Coupled with general COVID fatigue and constant anxiety about the new variant I'm just feeling crappy. Trying to get some rest today and hopefully tomorrow will be better and I'll be able to get back on track. Hang in there everyone!

I had the same reaction to my booster. It took about 2 days for the aches to go away. About five days for the arm pit swelling to disappear and the rash lasted about a week.

I hope that this doesn't come across as a completely deranged question, but how much time would you estimate that it would add on to your finish time if you stop for every picture stop? Assuming that I run my expected time which is 4:30, would stopping for every picture
Many already have answered this question but here is my experience from running Dopey 2020. I was a less than 2h half-marathoner and a circa 4:30h marathoner when I got there. I was in the first wave (A) for the 5k/10k and the third (C) for the HM/M. I stopped at every picture stop plus some bathroom breaks and walked the water/fuel stations. DD was with me for the 5k/10k. The marathon was extremely hot but I did not get to short-cut the course i.e I ran the Full thing.

My times are my personal worst by far, even compared to my other runDisney races (10k and my first HM in 2017):
5k: 00:58
10k: 01:29
HM: 03:39
M: 06:20

Have fun!

Better late than never.
RACE - Half
DIS'er name - happ
Costume/Clothing - Mary Poppins
Bib# - ?
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 2:30
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Not sure
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Not sure
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - 12:30ish

Although John is correct about the 10-12 minute pace, that is still a bit fast for some of us. About a hundred or more pages back there was some fun discussion about also having a "not-so-fast" group that would replicate some of the Goof Troop shenanigans and join them for the off course activities. I hope that when the @DopeyBadger spreadsheet is published there will be a group of like minded runners more in the 13-14? minute mile pace.

Looking forward to it after having serious FOMO at being a bit (or a lot) too slow for the Goof Troop antics in 2020!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter