Marathon Weekend 2022

I’m sensing a theme…

believe it or not I’m quite the lightweight 😂

I just realized I forgot Expo beer. Gotta edit my post 😆

I didn't know this was a thing. I think I am going to try and get a "day of" lounge "reservation" if they are still doing that. It's just me, and I particularly like sitting at the bar.

SAFD: I am thinking Sanaa for a late lunch or early dinner Sunday. Beyond that, I don't really have any particular celebrations--except to get my obligatory post-race Chocolate Milkshake (Okay, Frappe if you really want to know and are from N.E.) from Beaches and Cream or Ghiradelli. I have cleared my calendar and have a late Monday flight, so DATW is on for me--now if I can just figure out how to find everyone when I inevitably arrive late!

ETA: I am having so many issues with the Disney website looking at restaurants and reservations--it's really frustrating, and even more f-ed up than usual.

My plan really is the lounge, but I was going to have a backup ressie in case I couldn’t get on the list.

SAFD: between @lhermiston and @Bree, they’ve laid out everything I’d be doing if I was there

I’ll save you a seat at the table, pal.

Otherwise, we’ll FaceTime you in.

How epic would it be for take the Goof Troop Roving Road Party to the Lounge at Space 220? It would give new meaning to Drink Around the World! I'm game.

Drinking Around The Galaxy, presented by the Goof Troop.

SAFD: After my first real race ever a couple of years ago, the WDW Half, we literally stumbled into Morimoto Asia for Peking duck and lychee cocktails. This year my expectations are so much lower for myself! Shorter race, and eating at my favorite off-property joint… which shall remain nameless lest it be overrun by runDisney peeps after I post it. :)
We’ll be in a CCV cabin, so I might add personal hot tub to the celebration.

How did this go? I'm trying to not leave decisions/orders for the last minute. Also curious as to which hat your husband wore? It seems like there have been a few versions.
It went well. He kept it on the whole time. It's a pretty thick hat with no mesh for breathability, so it kept his head warm while waiting in the corrals. However once we started running it got really sweaty. The whole thing was completely soaked in sweat. It was pretty nasty, but it still looked good and wasn't horribly uncomfortable. He also carried golf clubs and got a lot of fun comments from other runners, though some volunteers thought he was Goofy!

I ordered it off eBay a few months ago. It's got a Walt Disney World inner tag. Don't know if this pic helps!20211108_085937.jpg

It went well. He kept it on the whole time. It's a pretty thick hat with no mesh for breathability, so it kept his head warm while waiting in the corrals. However once we started running it got really sweaty. The whole thing was completely soaked in sweat. It was pretty nasty, but it still looked good and wasn't horribly uncomfortable. He also carried golf clubs and got a lot of fun comments from other runners, though some volunteers thought he was Goofy!

I ordered it off eBay a few months ago. It's got a Walt Disney World inner tag. Don't know if this pic helps!View attachment 620882
that actually helps a lot! I know there was one made that was trucker-style (mesh back half with a snap back) a long time ago that I can find on ebay....DH is definitely a sweater and I think he's concerned about the potential of having a super soaked hat.

Which begs the question - Where are people booking celebratory dinners?

I had originally planned on artist point to see dopey post my first Dopey run, but it's closed. Now thinking DS, maybe boat house or wine bar george.

First choice is always Jiko... but it's still closed.
Next choice was Topolino's Terrace... no openings until 9:20. With an early flight out the next morning, no thank you.
My wife and I have wanted to try the plant based skillet at Whispering Canyon, so we were able to grab a reservation for 5:15pm the evening after our race.

SAFD: For my first half-marathon we had lunch at Tusker House, which was a ton of fun. It was our first time at the restaurant, and we loved the food, atmosphere, and character interactions.

For this year's marathon, we'll be with various friends and don't have firm plans yet. We're taking that day as a resort day, so most likely we'll enjoy the fare from Captain Cook's and Tangaroa Terrace before watching fireworks from the beach. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Quick bib pickup question. I registered both my kids who will be 18 and 20 along with myself. They will be going to Florida early with the grandparents. It would be much easier if when I go to the expo I grab the bibs for them instead of grandparents bringing them later. Is it possible for me to grab them since they are my children and I registered them or are they no longer minors being 18 and 20 and have to grab them themselves? I’m guessing it’s no.

I ordered it off eBay a few months ago. It's got a Walt Disney World inner tag. Don't know if this pic helps!View attachment 620882

that actually helps a lot! I know there was one made that was trucker-style (mesh back half with a snap back) a long time ago that I can find on ebay....DH is definitely a sweater and I think he's concerned about the potential of having a super soaked hat.

I do a lot of costumes and sewing/crafting, and I think this could be hacked. I think you could cut out the back of this hat, keeping the panels with the eyes and bill, then cut down closer to the bottom to go around the ears. You could just keep the bottom inch or so around the rest of the back and leave it open, or cut it completely off and sew or glue the section with the front and ears on to a visor or a trucker-style hat with mesh in back. The material is kind of a foam, so it should provide a smooth edge without much fraying. A black sharpie could take care of any rough edges or exposed areas that you want to be less noticeable.

Quick bib pickup question. I registered both my kids who will be 18 and 20 along with myself. They will be going to Florida early with the grandparents. It would be much easier if when I go to the expo I grab the bibs for them instead of grandparents bringing them later. Is it possible for me to grab them since they are my children and I registered them or are they no longer minors being 18 and 20 and have to grab them themselves? I’m guessing it’s no.

As you have guessed, it's a no. A few years back, we were able to pick up a bib for our nephew, but he was 14. Anyone 18 or older must pick up their own.

SAFD: Got a reservation for Steakhouse 71 for marathon night celebration. It's later than I want, so I'm stalking to try and get it moved up to an earlier time.

I'm an idiot and didn't realize that Shades of Green gets the 60+10 for ADRs. About noon on Saturday it suddenly struck me to check and, yep, I'd already missed out on the better times. Wish me luck with my hunting. :)

SAFD: Got a reservation for Steakhouse 71 for marathon night celebration. It's later than I want, so I'm stalking to try and get it moved up to an earlier time.

I'm an idiot and didn't realize that Shades of Green gets the 60+10 for ADRs. About noon on Saturday it suddenly struck me to check and, yep, I'd already missed out on the better times. Wish me luck with my hunting. :)
We were up & at em at 5:50AM on our 60+ day out, and still couldn't get many of the high-demand reservations we wanted. If that' makes you feel any better :)

For my SAFD, I didn't book anything "celebratory" particularly for my races, but it's the first Disney trip that both my young adult kids are taking with us, it's been years, so we were hoping to get some of the old favorites. For instance, I couldn't get Ohana for any time before 8:50PM which doesn't work for us. We will make some new favorites this time around if we can't get the oldies.

Anybody have a hard time getting Biergarten? I was shocked! It will be my older DS first trip of legal drinking age and we thought he'd like to eat there. We can still get a big beer in Germany regardless, but I was amazed Biergarten was booked up!

And then, my friends, it’s showtime. The greatest show on dirt. The reason for the season. The real reason Disney implemented considerable social distancing between their characters and us savages. Drinking Around The World.

I can feel the excitement building for MW and I'm majorly bumming I can't be there. Goof Troop, make me proud!!!

Does anyone know if more Virtual spots ever become available as we get closer to the race dates?

I doubt more virtual spots will open but keep checking since anything is possible. In person spots do open from time to time if you want to be there for the weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter