Marathon Weekend 2021

I grew up an hour from Disneyland and prefer DL to MK, but there's still something magical about going in the park and walking under the train station onto Main Street. To me, it's still the classic Disney park and I love the classic rides. I have so many memories there. Some of my more recent ones:
- Marathon weekend 2019. I was "only" running the marathon and arrived late the night before the half. I slept for a few hours and went to MK to cheer on the half marathon runners so I could be on Main Street with the lights on and very few people there. I had a blast high fiving and cheering on the runners.
- Villains After Hours party in March of this year. I got on Astro Orbiter just as the fireworks were starting and got to watch part of the show from there.
- Visiting in July just after they reopened. My flight landed and I got there at 2 and was the only person at the monorail station. I hadn't been that excited to go to MK in a long time and just being there was magical.

SAFD (On Monday):
Oof, it was a busy weekend. I have to get to work to have a second to breathe and check DIS...

MK is by far my favorite park. If for nothing else than the ambiance and nostalgia. I love many of the rides - Pirates, Jungle Cruise, HM, People Mover, Carousal of Progress, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tiki Room... As others have shared I can simply walk around and take in the park without rides and still truly enjoy myself. My favorite memories in WDW all center around time with my family in MK. Spending the last half hour of the night riding Astro Orbitor over and over with my oldest. Going to Belle’s show with my youngest and watching her wonder when she got to participate in the show. Sitting in the waiting area of the Tiki Room with Dole Whips waiting out the rain. I could go on and on...

All the parks are great in their own way and I always want to spend at least one day at each, but we always plan for two days at MK. I think that it comes down to the park that feels the most like Disneyland, the park that Walt built. And the park that I grew up going to and eventually brought my own family. I so miss the parks! Marathon Weekend 2022 can not get here soon enough!

SAFD: Each trip, entering MK is one of the more memorable parts of the trip. It’s my, “yeah, I’m in Disney World” moment. That’s pretty awesome.

I enjoy MK most on MNSSHP nights early in the season before the crowds increase. We’ve had so many nights having an awesome time riding as many attractions as we want and really feeling like (knowing) we get more done in 5-6 hours during a party than we do in a full day that we tried to plan out.

The only downside of MNSSHP is that it doesn’t have HEA, which is far and away my #1 nighttime show at WDW and possibly the #1 thing that look forward to on a Disney vacation.

We've had a lot of days at MK where the crowds were very overwhelming and made the day longer and less fun than we’d hoped. I’m interested in seeing how the crowds are in early January and what the experience is like in the current format. I’m excited for it but will definitely miss HEA.

SAFD Hollywood Studios: Even before Galaxy's Edge I had a soft spot for DHS. My first visit to WDW was shortly before starting my freshman year of college and I loved the then brand new Tower of Terror particularly in part because the dorms I would soon be living in were called Deseret Towers. Now I spend lots of time in Galaxy's Edge. In a weird twist of 2020, despite living substantially closer to Disneyland, I have yet to ride Rise of the Resistance in my home park but have experienced it 5 times at DHS. Now to show that I realize that it's more than Star Wars, I love Mama Melrose's for meals, the Muppets are always great fun, and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is a nice addition to the park.

Honorable mention: my 3 year old nephew is obsessed with fireworks. Last December he watched the Disneyland Christmas fireworks with me and repeatedly put his little hands on my face and turned me every which way he could to ensure that I saw the same fireworks and snow that he did. He also loves Star Wars. On my last night at WDW for marathon weekend this year, we were going to watch the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular "together" with me in DHS and him at home watching on YouTube. Well that afternoon, he misbehaved and my sister needed to take that away from him. A few weeks later on my birthday, he had been better behaved so instead he sat on my lap and we watched the fireworks on YouTube in his house.

SAFD Epcot: My favorite WDW park. While so many understandably have the quintessential I'm at Disney World moment while in the Magic Kingdom, for me that moment always comes in Epcot. I believe this is because I grew up going to Disneyland regularly, so Epcot at that time was the most different from Disneyland and therefore that made it special for me. I have very fond memories of Epcot, many coming from food or after runDisney as Epcot wound up becoming my post runDisney race park especially for half marathons and the marathon. Favorite memories include a lot of runDisney races, particularly the 2017 Dark Side Half Marathon because I knew it meant that I was on the verge of finishing the Kessel Run. During the 2019 Marathon I will never forget the feeling of sheer elation or possibly hallucination as I realized that I was about to finish my first marathon.

SAFD Magic Kingdom: Disneyland is home as it were, so the MK feels similar yet different. Since the new Fantasyland expansion I find myself spending more time in the MK than I used to. Due to its similarities to Disneyland, I once classified it as a one day park just because I wanted to spend more time in Epcot. It was very strange for me during my visit last month because between the elimination of park hopping and the path to Rise of the Resistance forced me to have to choose between Epcot and MK for the 2nd day. I wound up choosing MK because I felt it was a better value given the number of attractions. RunDisney has helped influence a lot of my favorite memories in the MK.

1. During my 2012 visit for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, new Fantasyland was within 30 days of opening to the general public. While I had read that soft openings were possible during MVMCP, I also did not want to assume that would be the case. One night with the MK open until 1:00am, I chose to "practice" staying up late for the race a few nights later and visited the MK. Despite holding an annual pass for Disneyland, I am not close enough to make AP previews, so I felt jealous of all the WDW APs with their wristband access to preview new Fantasyland. I decided I would walk up to new Fantasyland and keep walking until Disney told me I could not go any further. Well the CM smiled and told everybody to head on in, wristband or no. I couldn't believe it. I was able to tour everything then open and learned how to land a very limited reservation for Be Our Guest during MVMCP a few nights later.

2. My first time running through the MK was the 2019 WDW Half. I had run through Disneyland many times, but this did not prepare me for the sheer magnitude of the crowds cheering you on in the MK. Seeing it this year closer to sunrise with the Christmas lights on was simply beautiful. I also elected to do the special celebration dining package at Cinderella Castle after the marathon this year because I wanted to try an MK dessert party. I will never forget waiting in the special viewing area for Happily Ever After remembering the challenges of that morning and anticipating the rush of emotion that would come during the "Go The Distance" segment during the fireworks. I used to feel middle of the road about Happily Ever After. It was a great technical show, but since it uses so many songs that I do not have a emotional connection to the spectacular did not move me as it did others. Well that changed after hearing Go The Distance one night after the 2019 Marathon.

3. Being at the MK last month was more special than I anticipated. Because of 2020, for the first time since 2002 I will not visit Disneyland during the year. So the similarities of the MK were a welcome feeling. There was something powerful and comforting about standing in line to get a castle picture while wearing a mask and hearing the familiar Christmas music play including the strains of "risen with healing in His wings" from Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

SAFD:
MK is a huge part of Disney for me. It comes in first place, with HS either tied or just below it. I haven’t gone to WDW if I haven’t walked down Main Street! I think nostalgia is the biggest draw for me. I still remember meeting Mickey on my first trip to Disney. I have some favorite rides and experiences, but I’ve visited MK without riding a single ride and been perfectly happy.

Some favorites, in no particular order:

Experiences: Taking the monorail to MK, or the boat from WL to MK, the first glimpse of the castle, strolling down Main Street, checking out new merchandise in the Emporium, playing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, trick or treating and unique character meets during MNSSHP, and taking fun PhotoPass photos (especially medal photos!)

Shows/Parades: Happily Ever After, and the Boo to You Parade (especially the gravediggers)

Rides: Haunted Mansion, BTMRR, 7DMT (with FP or a short line), and the PeopleMover

Food/Snacks: Dole Whip floats, the old BOG menu, and chicken strips & a blue raspberry slushy at Pinocchio Village Haus the night before my first runDisney 10K (idk why but it was sooo good!)

Good morning runDisney all-stars!

I hope your holidays are going well and you're getting some quality time with your families. For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your goals and hopes for 2021? They can be Disney-related or just life in general.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD: I would like to travel next year--even if not til the fall. I just want to take an international trip. I was supposed to go to Austria this past fall, but, you know.

As for running, I am struggling with this right now. NY Marathon is still very up in the air, and I am not motivated to do a marathon, honestly. I need a non race-focused running goal, and not just because of COVID. I think I am done with "racing"--age, motivation, injury are just not working in my favor-- but have yet to find a satisfying substitute.

I have no Disney goals. I am not interested in spending money on a less-than-whole Disney experience (or--dare I say--any Disney experience). Now if I can persuade someone to go to Japan with me, that all changes. I would definitely do Tokyo Disney.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your goals and hopes for 2021?
I don’t have any goals for 2021 but right now I am hoping for the vaccine and a return to safe travel. I cancelled trips to AZ, UK, DLP and WDW in 2020. While I know some restrictions will need to stay in place for some time, I’m looking forward to the confidence being vaccinated will provide when getting back out into the world! Travel is the one thing I have missed the most in 2020.

I am also hoping to test out my @DopeyBadger training in some live races! They have not returned to the PNW yet, but when they do I‘m hoping to surprise myself with some “speedy” times!

Goals and hopes for 2021...

Return to “normal” at work with all students attending in person every day.

Return to in person races...if I don’t have a race scheduled, I tend to slack off on training.

Return to traveling. As much as I love planning a trip, it is not fun to plan then cancel the same trip 7 times!

Continued health and happiness for my family and friends!

SAFD:
In 2021 I wish for:
- health and happiness for my family and friends.
- to continue to run injury free and return to live racing. I got a big one in September if it happens.
- as for Disney, which I miss do much, I am hoping to go back for MW 2022. The whole family will go and we will make an extended trip out of it!

Now, I know the last one is in 2022. But in 2022 I get to train, register and trip plan. In my eyes that is part of the trip!

Happy New Year All! Wishing you all a wonderful 2022!

SAFD:

Well, we were holding out hope to keep our Marathon Weekend vacation plans for 2021 but made the tough decision to cancel them this morning. My mom ruptured her Achilles two weeks ago and the second (third, fourth, etc.) thoughts we were already having definitively tipped over the edge. With all other complications considered and accepted, a trip with an ECV (and inexperienced operator) was not something any of us wanted. I’m sure we would’ve had fun and made it work but the option to wait for another day just seemed the right way to go.

So for 2021, my plans are to get prepared for Dopey 2022. It will be no small feat considering the lack of ambition I’ve displayed with nothing on the horizon for the last year or so. I’ve taken way too much time off and I’m starting from the ground floor this time. I’m ready for it though and excited for the journey.

I’ll also be spending as much time with these two as I can:
DBDB979B-2A29-42E3-A3BA-FE8119E427B0.jpeg

Good morning runDisney all-stars!

I hope your holidays are going well and you're getting some quality time with your families. For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your goals and hopes for 2021? They can be Disney-related or just life in general.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!
I'll stick to running hopes. My hope this week is that my knee pain disappears and I'm able to run a local half marathon on New Year's Day. After that, I hope to continue my marathon training with no more injuries and that I'm able to run my first full in April, and continue to do other local in-person races. I'm also hoping for an official announcement from runDisney about a live race, that I'm able to register for it, and that it actually happens.

i hope my stress fracture has fully healed and I can start running again. I’d also like to see more races happen in-person. Our local sprint tris are fun, but it’s hard to really push in training without a big race or two on the calendar. My last hope is that Dopey 2022 doesn’t sell out until after I’m registered. ;)

SAFD:
It is very hard for me to put goals together for 2021. When every day for the past 9 months feels like groundhog day, it is tough to think of a future that looks any different. Here we go...
  • I am 6 runs from finishing my first DopeyBadger training plan. My first goal for 2021 is to finish the training plan and run a cold/snowy/virtual Dopey January 7-10.
  • Run my first ever marathon distance on January 10th.
  • Keep up my running in 2021 and have a training plan to get me to the previous two goals healthy.
  • Convince some of my friends and family to join me for any of the distances in WDW.

SAFD: I'm hoping that the Half Marathon & 10K on April 10th actually happens. I'm shooting for a PR on the much flatter course than that of the HM I've run the past few years. My 12 year old is also hoping to complete her first 10K. The HM and 10K are together for the first five miles, so her dad can meet her at the finish.

I'm also hoping that the mask business goes away before August. I am hoping to start the second half of my bachelor's degree in accounting. I can't imagine sitting in an auditorium for five hours at a time with a mask on.

SAFD: I normally don't make resolutions. However, I do have running and Disney goals for the new year, and I'm hopeful that they'll happen! This year has been a tough one for so many, and the ending has been so disappointing and upsetting that I changed my calendar to January already :rolleyes1

2021 Running & Disney Goals:
- Be safe, healthy, and HAPPY

- Be injury-free and able to run again

- Restart my first @DopeyBadger training plan, and complete it! This was such a huge motivator this summer.

- Safely complete the runDisney virtual races I'm registered for (Princess 5K, Princess Fairy Tale Challenge, Star Wars 10K and Star Wars Half Marathon). I was already registered for Princess and figured I'd keep the virtuals to stay motivated. I registered for the SW races because it's probably the only time I'd be able to do these races due to work at that time of year. However, if a new race theme starts that could potentially be a way to earn perfect status in a race, I'll have to find a way to make it happen! :goodvibes

- Have local live races return. I miss my regular races and I'll be so happy to have them back, even in a modified version.

- Be able to actually return to Disney (after multiple cancelled trips) and feel safe, without work/quarantine restrictions

- Have runDisney announce a safe return to live races!

- Be able to register for my first marathon at WDW Marathon Weekend 2022. This has been on my list for awhile now, followed by Dopey in 2023!

I haven't thought that far ahead to set goals for next week! Hopefully Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm will reopen this year and I'll get there. I wouldn't mind actually getting to run at Disneyland Paris. Just found out a friend has never been to the Grand Canyon and so we're talking about a Grand Canyon/Zion/Bryce National Park tour and hike the Grand Canyon.

It's been an awful year - my physical health is thankfully good but my mental health is not so much! Exercise has been the main thing keeping me sane, and I have been surprisingly motivated to train for my virtual Goofy attempt (shooting for later this week if the weather cooperates!), so that will be the first big goal of 2021 and hopefully a step towards better days ahead.
Currently I am signed up for 2 races after Goofy - a half in HHI in February, and a 70.3 in the fall. I will hopefully do some local triathlons over the summer (assuming things are better then). So many races for 2021 are sold out already because of deferrals from this year, or they haven't even announced registration as they wait and see what happens with covid, so planning a race calendar is not the same.
I would like to focus more on my cycling than my running this year, as running has been more of a priority recently, and have some goals in mind for that.
I really just want to plan some big overseas trip and get back to traveling, and I really miss going to concerts too!
Please let 2021 be better! :wizard:

@BigEeyore which 70.3 are you lucky enough to have entered? Most of my friends back in the States and in Europe have been shut out unless they had a deferral from 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter