Marathon Weekend 2021

I like virtual races. Sometimes runs get so monotonous and I use it as an excuse to add something special (costume, new route, new playlist) to my run.
I'm cheap so I don't do very many (I do free ones when I can find them, but I've only paid for runDisney and one other set of 3 5Ks), but I think they can be kinda fun.

But I also get why some people don't love them. I think it's a very personal thing (but then again, so are in-person races).

Not SAFD, but a question for my fellow runners: how do you feel about virtual races?

I ran a virtual marathon this spring and I'm seriously considering registering for the virtual NYC marathon. Being registered for a race keeps me motivated and I am guessing the NYC swag won't suck. But, I struggle with a virtual race feeling as "legitimate" as a real race.

When I ran my virtual full this spring, I started at my home and finished near a friend's place. As you might expect, there was no starting line, no finish line, no water stations, no music, no etc. I did have some friends meet me around Mile 13 and Mile 19 and I did have a beer on the course.

But, it largely felt like a long training run. It made me think ... other than the fact that I'm paying for it and getting some swag in the mail, what is the difference between this and every other run? I've run 13.1 miles or more many times while training for fulls, but I don't count those in my half marathon totals. Why? Couldn't I call them "virtual half marathons?"

I guess that's my hang up. Is the only difference between a training run and a "virtual" 5K, 10K, half, or full simply that I paid for that particular day?

I want to be clear: this is not me judging anyone or taking away anyone's accomplishments. Like I said, I've done a virtual full, count it in my official race total and am considering another. But I am curious how everyone feels about virtual races and how you distinguish them from your other runs, considering it seems as if we could be in for as much as a year or more of virtual races.

I signed up for 3 virtual races during quarantine mainly because they were in support of a good cause/ charity I cared about and planned on running those miles anyway. I did sign up for the Haunted Mansion 5k of the virtual summer series because I'm a big HM fan and figured it was kind of like getting HM merch you wouldn't be able to purchase else where. I agree though virtual races are pretty unfulfilling and I don't count them towards my overall counts of 5ks,10ks, and half marathons but to each their own!

I need a race on my schedule to motivate me, and I am fortunate to have found a few. I know there is a huge variance from state to state. I live in Illinois where there are no races of any kind, but I have been able to run two small participant trail races in the past two weeks (10 miles in Indiana and 16 miles in Wisconsin) and just started a new training program for the Run the Bluegrass HM in Lexington, KY early October. I keep checking runningintheusa.com to see what is still on close enough to drive there and back in one day. Most of the states around me (WI, IN, MI, IA) are still having a few races that look well managed and as safe as can be expected.

I don’t think NYC needs my support to stay in business, but I feel like if I shell out the fee,0 it’ll motivate me to get 26.2 in? The window for running the virtual race includes my birthday, so I’m thinking of doing that.

Honestly, I just miss running races.

Me too, which is why when the 70.3 in Oman was canceled, I decided to join my friends in a different stupid stunt instead. We’re attempting a virtual Everesting on Zwift next week. It’s not the same as doing the race together, but it’ll be something worth doing.

The one exception I'd say would be the virtual marathon relays that some of us did earlier this year. I did enjoy those. It was a great way to cheer each other on, and having my time contributing to the team, I definitely pushed myself harder than I would have normally done on a solo virtual run.

I enjoyed that race too, primarily for the reasons you listed. It wouldn’t have been the same doing it solo.

The one exception I'd say would be the virtual marathon relays that some of us did earlier this year. I did enjoy those. It was a great way to cheer each other on, and having my time contributing to the team, I definitely pushed myself harder than I would have normally done on a solo virtual run.

Agree 100% with @Neon Cactus . I was involved in the team relay he is mentioning and that's the most "hyped" I've gotten myself over a virtual run. Felt like an "event" despite my normal everyday neighborhood route. But that was free.
I also have been enjoying some of the free facebook group virtual long distance challenges. Doing one running through WDW property. But that's also because I know people who are also doing it and it's fun to send pictures and see their's. But I still am finding it hard to motivate even with that lately and my distances are nowhere near others.

The Disney summer virtual medals this year were my main motivation for signing up for them. And I've roped my daughter in as some way to make it more than just a training run that counts towards them. Overall when normal races start becoming the norm again (and I feel safe doing them), I doubt I do more virtuals unless it involves my running friends. I miss the in person race atmosphere.

Now I just need to find one for family bike rides because we may already have hit our century mark since quarantine started.

Like others have said, I did two virtual half marathons during quarantine to support the local running group. The Social Distance Running challenge had a fun medal (love the toilet paper) that I thought would be fun to have to remember these crazy times. Not sure how I feel about a virtual full. If MW is canceled, I may consider signing up for one.

Not SAFD, but a question for my fellow runners: how do you feel about virtual races?

I ran a virtual marathon this spring and I'm seriously considering registering for the virtual NYC marathon. Being registered for a race keeps me motivated and I am guessing the NYC swag won't suck. But, I struggle with a virtual race feeling as "legitimate" as a real race.

When I ran my virtual full this spring, I started at my home and finished near a friend's place. As you might expect, there was no starting line, no finish line, no water stations, no music, no etc. I did have some friends meet me around Mile 13 and Mile 19 and I did have a beer on the course.

But, it largely felt like a long training run. It made me think ... other than the fact that I'm paying for it and getting some swag in the mail, what is the difference between this and every other run? I've run 13.1 miles or more many times while training for fulls, but I don't count those in my half marathon totals. Why? Couldn't I call them "virtual half marathons?"

I guess that's my hang up. Is the only difference between a training run and a "virtual" 5K, 10K, half, or full simply that I paid for that particular day?

I want to be clear: this is not me judging anyone or taking away anyone's accomplishments. Like I said, I've done a virtual full, count it in my official race total and am considering another. But I am curious how everyone feels about virtual races and how you distinguish them from your other runs, considering it seems as if we could be in for as much as a year or more of virtual races.

I can't really get into virtual races. I generally race half-marathons or marathons. I can't get psyched up to try to run those distances hard and fast like a race without the race crowds, volunteers, other runners, and the race environment in general. The race date itself is set and won't change, so it's a hard training deadline. I tell family and friends about it and there is some build-up. If I ran it virtually, I could say "nah, I don't feel like doing it tomorrow" and put it off. (on the plus side, I suppose you could choose a day with ideal weather)

On the more practical side, for HMs and longer, the support mechanisms of aid stations and medical (if needed) and port-a-potties is also great and something hard to replicate. Plus, no stopping for traffic lights! So unless I wanted to repeat a loop many times, it would be difficult for me to find a HM or marathon distance where I could do an out-and-back virtual race without having to stop for something like a traffic light.

Virtual challenges, like Run Across Maryland, are a little different. I've done a few and been somewhat amused by them, but I end up running the same amount that I would be anyway, so it hasn't done anything special for me.

I can't wait for real races again!

My knock against virtual races are the utter lack of character stops! And when I complain to the "spectators" along the course about no characters or the lack of fuel stops, I get back (at best) confused looks and (at worst) words that would get me kicked off of the DIS boards!!!

I usually don’t like virtuals because of the lack of a ‘race day’ feeling. The crowd gives so much energy. I do run the Star Wars virtual for the Kessel bling and have done the Disney 5K series in the past and this year because I liked the medals.
Never would have thought about doing a virtual full but New York presents a conundrum. This is the first I’ve read about it and here is a chance to get a New York Marathon medal, but is it really? Running a marathon in itself is a huge accomplishment but if it’s not run in the city on race day...
Then there is the fact that Wine and Dine is supposed to be a PR attempt, fitting in a full either before or after a hard half is not a great idea or something I would look forward to but is Wine and Dine going to happen? If that’s cancelled I’d still run it just like I did Star Wars so why not keep going double the miles and get the NYC bling.

There are days when I think catching up on this thread is a bad idea

SAFD by park!
Epcot - Test Track, because we love building our car!
MK - Peter Pan is a lot of fun, but I can't leave out HM
AK- FoP (though props to Everest too!)
HS - RoTR

Virtual races - are just not for me. I only do "big experience" marathons - I don't love running 26.2, so if I am going to suffer like that it needs to be worth my while and at some really cool destination.
I am pretty consistent with my training, whether I have a race coming up or not I am usually staying active, so I don't need the motivation of a virtual medal.

I have done a few virtual races this year but the most fun has been the GVRAT (https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Memphis/TheGreatVirtualRaceAcrossTennessee1000K). I should finish tomorrow and there was a group of us that chatted throughout that kept it interesting. I am undecided if I will do the return 1000k.

I find it easier to push for a pr or some other performance goal at a big race with lots of people and spectators. I find I am ok running solo if I am going longer than 50k, as that is more about finishing while fighting through the ups and downs of long runs. I did run my “best” 100 miler three weeks ago running a 3 mile loop self supported. It was not so much about my time (25 hours) as how I felt my performance was through the entire run.

I have done a few virtual races this year but the most fun has been the GVRAT (https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Memphis/TheGreatVirtualRaceAcrossTennessee1000K). I should finish tomorrow and there was a group of us that chatted throughout that kept it interesting. I am undecided if I will do the return 1000k.

I find it easier to push for a pr or some other performance goal at a big race with lots of people and spectators. I find I am ok running solo if I am going longer than 50k, as that is more about finishing while fighting through the ups and downs of long runs. I did run my “best” 100 miler three weeks ago running a 3 mile loop self supported. It was not so much about my time (25 hours) as how I felt my performance was through the entire run.
I'm doing the GVRAT too! it really motivated me to increase my mileage. congrats on finishing tomorrow. i'm about 70% through.

I'm super behind on this thread, sorry you guys! For people who don't really go anywhere right now we seem to be rather busy! Here's some SAFD catch up, etc.

10 Attractions:
1. Big Thunder Mountain Railway
2. Flight of Passage
3. Soarin'
4. Expedition Everest
5. Peter Pan (nostalgic choice)
6. Rock n Roller Coaster
7. Slinky Dog
8. Smugglers Run
9. Mine Train
10. Mr. Toads Wild Ride
11. Matterhorn
*I remember really liking Space at DL Paris, but it was so long ago I could be imagining things!

Nighttime Show:
Main Street Electrical Parade! And Wishes too! (I really can't choose. One is my childhood, one is the first trips to Disney with my kids.)

Counter Service Restaurants:
1. Tangerine Cafe
2. Satuli'i Canteen

Table Service:
1. California Grill
2. Trattoria al Forno
HM: The Wave

favorite ways to cool off at WDW?

I'm a fan of the mid day break for pool or a nap in the room. But I'll also stroll through the shops and any excuse for Carousel of Progress in our family is a good one! ;)

Carousal of Progress; for some odd reason I actually enjoy it. 20 minutes of sitting in the cool doesn't hurt either.

My husband says this is his favorite "ride"!

favorite attraction queue is

Hmmmm...I think my favorite is Haunted Mansion. I also like Everest and Pandora. My kids really like Winnie the Pooh!

how do you feel about virtual races?

Meh. That's how I feel. I've signed up for a few since quarantine for swag or medals and to keep myself motivated. But I prefer the adrenaline rush of the live race.

the first one I did was a Belgium beer run from Leuven to Brussels to Ghent to Bruges. The route took me past several brewery's and pubs that I have visited. The second was a run around the Ring of Kerry in Ireland.

Ok, if I were doing beer runs in Belgium or running the Ring of Kerry I might be a wee bit more motivated to run virtual races! My dream is to run in Ireland someday actually. It's my favorite place!

Ok, if I were doing beer runs in Belgium or running the Ring of Kerry I might be a wee bit more motivated to run virtual races! My dream is to run in Ireland someday actually. It's my favorite place!

The Dublin marathon at the end of October is a great one!

The Dublin marathon at the end of October is a great one!

Thank you for that! Going to add this to my list as that is a great time of year. I've looked at a few in Dublin, as I used to live there, but have also looked at the one on the Dingle Peninsula too as that is seriously gorgeous!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite Disney souvenir that you’ve purchased? For the sake of SAFD, signing up for a race does not count as buying the medals and shirts, so they’re out.

My favorite souvenirs are a T-shirt with Darth Vader riding Astro Orbiter and my MU hat.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter