Marathon Weekend 2020

As long as the 2020 WDW Marathon medal is better than the Paris Marathon medal from this year I'll be ecstatic.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

View attachment 419387

I’m glad they included the asterisk. If there’s one thing I want to know when I look at a race medal it’s who is the corporate sponsor and did they certify the exact length of the course.

So after an initial impression of "meh" for the 5k and 10k, I guess I'm kinda liking the half one. My first few Disney HM were all a variation on the "gold tinted Donald head with year underneath". Over the years, the medals have definitely been enhanced. My HM medal from Dopey 2018 is a large, heavy, embellished colorful medal. This one for 2020 mixes it up with the shape difference and retro styling.

I think our expectations for Disney medals can be summed up by paraphrasing the Olympics motto....Bigger, Heavier, Blingier.

View attachment 419392

It’s better than the first two but I wish we could see the real deal and not a rendering.

They’re going to draw this out all week.
I agree, it is hard to tell if the characters will be 3D or just a picture drawn on the medal. I think if it has that 3D look/feel than these could be better when we see it for real - and I agree, not sure why they are just releasing renderings, in the past it seemed like they had the medals ready.

I agree, it is hard to tell if the characters will be 3D or just a picture drawn on the medal. I think if it has that 3D look/feel than these could be better when we see it for real - and I agree, not sure why they are just releasing renderings, in the past it seemed like they had the medals ready.

I'd have rather had them wait for the release with the super-mega-awesome final versions. But I'm thinking if the half features Donald raised (or in 3D) like he's literally running off the medal, then YES - so amazing, here for this. The release is falling flat because they're renderings and not the final product. It's hard to get excited when you're only seeing work at 60% complete.

We've seen the themes already.... so why not have waited another 2 months and had a proper release so we can be all bouncy and excited?

I'm putting my emotions in check with expectations. These are previews, not actual medals so not going to get bent out of shape. Though I'm assuming we get Marathon tomorrow, Goofy and Thursday and Dopey on Friday?

SAFD: I have to go with Paint the Night parade. It’s just spectacular and my kids were both old enough to love it so that makes it special for me.

Medals: though I want to see them in person before final judgement, I’m digging the Half medal. And the Oswald has me intrigued!

So after an initial impression of "meh" for the 5k and 10k, I guess I'm kinda liking the half one. My first few Disney HM were all a variation on the "gold tinted Donald head with year underneath". Over the years, the medals have definitely been enhanced. My HM medal from Dopey 2018 is a large, heavy, embellished colorful medal. This one for 2020 mixes it up with the shape difference and retro styling.

I think our expectations for Disney medals can be summed up by paraphrasing the Olympics motto....Bigger, Heavier, Blingier.

Agreed, I like this one a lot better than the others. In the end, I don't care that much about the medals. I don't display them, but I do like them when I stumble upon them. One of my favorite races was this ridiculously hilly 50K that I have fond memories of completing, but the medal is the saddest looking ones I have. If you dropped it, it would literally fall apart. I would have gladly paid 15 dollars more for a better keepsake. Right on with the Bigger, Heavier, and Blingier!

@courtneybeth Thanks for putting things in perspective for me - I am most certainly going to love anything Disney hands out after seeing that Paris medal!! 😆
After reading the various stories about races with truly bad medals, it really does put things in perspective. That said, I still have no problems if people voice their opinions good and bad about runDisney medals and I think we should call out runDisney for truly bad medal design if only to ensure that they never go that plain and simple route that some have outlined.

The release is falling flat because they're renderings and not the final product. It's hard to get excited when you're only seeing work at 60% complete.

We've seen the themes already.... so why not have waited another 2 months and had a proper release so we can be all bouncy and excited?
Unless their plan was to get all the meh reviews out of the way before revealing the actual medals as opposed to artwork, I'm not sure this phased rollout will generate the registrations they want it to.

I really like the Half Marathon medal design. Maybe even more than 2019, which I loved, but I want to see the final medal before making a judgment call. Now to wait until tomorrow to see what they do with the marathon medal especially since we're all assuming that it will feature both Mickey and Minnie.

I was apprehensive after seeing the 5K/10K medals yesterday, but I love the half medal. I like that the shape is different from my primarily round Donald medals, and I have a feeling Donald himself will be textured/3D. Can’t wait to be surprised one way or the other!

I personally like the color scheme and design of the 10k, but am nota fan of Oswald. The Half Marathon is ok to me and i'm sure it will look much better in person. As someone else mentioned earlier, it is kind of interesting to see some local 5k's have a much more unique and appealing design.

I love the half medal because I love Donald, but I cannot figure out what's happening on that one side of his body. Is it just me? Is his left arm crazy double-jointed or something? Is that blob in the front supposed to be his foot? My brain is not working well on this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter