Marathon Weekend 2020

I am used to run in 32F weather with just a long sleeve tech shirt but not to wait two hours standing before. I have been putting away warm clothes to give away for months now in case of cold mornings during the Marathon Weekend. Should I still carry those clothes, hats, gloves, Mylar blankets, polar fleece blankets, etc? And if I bring them to Florida, are there any place to leave them besides the bins at the races?
I've got my throwaway clothes in a pile and will decide Tues. how much of them to bring, but I will absolutely bring some, just in case. I drive, so I can always just bring them back home, but I think leaving them in your room if you don't want them would be fine! Maybe with a note saying you don't want them back.

I've got my throwaway clothes in a pile and will decide Tues. how much of them to bring, but I will absolutely bring some, just in case. I drive, so I can always just bring them back home, but I think leaving them in your room if you don't want them would be fine! Maybe with a note saying you don't want them back.

I’m bringing all of mine to the start on Sunday. I don’t want them back and figure Disney will get them to someone who can use them. Leaving them in the room sounds like extra work for the housekeepers.

I’m bringing all of mine to the start on Sunday. I don’t want them back and figure Disney will get them to someone who can use them. Leaving them in the room sounds like extra work for the housekeepers.

I like this idea. Plus, there may be folks who ARE cold while waiting and may want to wear a layer but didn't think to bring something with them. Taking everything with you would also allow you to offer items to bus and corral-mates before tossing.

I am flying in late Tuesday, staying off property that night. Then heading in to my resort (CBR) on Wednesday AM to drop off my stuff. I plan on hitting the expo at "rope drop" on Wednesday for bib & merch. Then probably get settled in my room and lay out my gear. I might head out for a stroll through the parks Wednesday, jump on some rides,and try not to think about the races too much (I am running Dopey). Might get an easy shake-out run in. It's funny because even though we light this firecracker in a few short days it still seems like a long way off, even though I know it won't be!

Safe travels to everyone and happy racing!
I'm at CBR as well next week!!

With the current weather forecast saying it might be hot, I figured I'd re-post this about heat acclimation training. A key thing to remember is that the response to heat acclimation training is logarithmic according to the research. Meaning it's not too late to start. The first five HAT workouts offer substantially more adaptations than do the second five HAT workouts. So starting now will help make you feel more comfortable (not actually comfortable) then if you did nothing at all.

I didn't verify all the sources, but this appears to be well researched and sourced.

https://www.gssiweb.org/sports-scie...athletic-performance-in-warm-hot-environments
I put them behind spoilers for anyone who wants to skip past it.

A post from November 2017:

Another option to help prepare for training in winter but racing in the unpredictable Florida weather is heat acclimation training outside (similar to your strategy on the treadmill):

So during most of your training you'll be wearing just enough clothes to border on being cold when training outside but staying comfortable. When you enter those last two weeks of training during your taper, switch to overdressing on everyday. It takes approximately 8-10 workouts to acclimate to a different condition (thus for people who run 4+ times per week about 2 weeks).

For example, for a cold workout I might wear columbia long sleeve, tights, and gloves. This would keep me comfortable in the cold weather but wouldn't hinder my performance. But during the taper during the same workout, I'd wear two columbia long sleeves, a cheap running jacket, two pairs of tights, and gloves. It was INCREDIBLY hot and uncomfortable to run in. I didn't care about pace anymore because I was in the taper. I was more concerned with giving the same effort but in this simulated heated environment. By wearing a poorly circulating running jacket, I semi-created a humid environment close to my skin (not allowing the moisture to leave). It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you continue to drink water as if it were a hot environment because this technique will dehydrate you very quickly and you'd like to continue to recover (taper) in advance of the race as well. Also, be very careful during your cool down because without the massive heat being generated by your body you'll get cold quick because of the sweat.

I used this Heat Acclimation strategy in preparation for the 2016/2017 Dopey Challenge. The 2016 marathon was relatively hot and humid (Temp + Dew Point of 140) compared to when I left WI (WC of -50F). That year was the slowest Disney Marathon winning time (2:33) ever. The winner, Fredison Costa, mentioned while accepting the award that he was about 15 minutes off his predicted time (because of the weather). That year, I was roughly 10 minutes off my time (3:45 vs 3:55) using my Heat Acclimation strategy even though I came from the frozen tundra. Is it perfect? Of course not. But it certainly can help make some of the necessary physiological changes in the body to enable you to be better prepared for racing in the heat (on the completely unknown chance it'll be T+D of 140 or like this past year with a T+D of 67).

And a different post with similar information, but some different stuff from December 2016.

According to the research I've read, it takes about 14 days or 10 workouts to acclimate to a new temperature. So around today marks a good time to consider starting. For me personally, I typically dress in whatever I would normally wear for the weather conditions, and then act as if it's the next level of cold. So when I would wear shorts and tank normally in such weather, now I'll wear tights and a thermal. Or if I were to dress in a thermal and tights, now maybe a thermal+jacket and two tights. The point is to dress warmer than you need to be to create a micro-climate close to your skin. You want to be sweating and "feel" hot. This sweating and feeling of being "hot" will induce an adaptation in your body to acclimate to a warmer climate (primarily higher blood plasma and volume level, increased sweat rate, decreased salt amount in sweat, decreased fatigue rate of sweat glands, and quicker onset of sweating).

A few things to keep in mind if you choose to heat acclimate and have never done it before:
-Make sure to increase your fluid intake. Because you'll be sweating more, you'll need more fluids than a normal winter run. So make sure to stay hydrated. There is conflicting research as to whether dehydrated training is the key to heat acclimation, but I personally will not intentionally withhold water from myself.
-Be prepared to sacrifice some of the quality of your workout. You're going to be hot and you may find your pace will slow a bit naturally. In my opinion, that's ok. Don't push it. I would prefer to sacrifice a touch on pacing so that I can better prepare my body for the possible heat in Florida. The minimal gains made in pacing at this point in training would be far-outweighed by the potential gains made through heat acclimation training.
-When the run is finished, make sure to get inside quickly. Because of the excessive sweat rate for a winter run, you're more susceptible to getting cold quickly with all that moisture hanging around your body. So as soon as you finish the run, get inside your home, gym or car. Stretch indoors if possible.
-I will use this method on all types of paced runs from easy to long run to tempo so that my body acclimates at all types of paces, but more-so to get in the necessary workouts (or days) I'm looking for.

Sources:

http://www.irunfar.com/2009/02/heat-acclimation.html
https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/science-of-hot-weather-running/
https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/summer-training-for-a-marathon/
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/preparing-for-a-hot-race-while-training-in-the-cold
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/preparing-for-a-hot-race-while-training-in-the-cold

With the current weather forecast saying it might be hot, I figured I'd re-post this about heat acclimation training. A key thing to remember is that the response to heat acclimation training is logarithmic according to the research. Meaning it's not too late to start. The first five HAT workouts offer substantially more adaptations than do the second five HAT workouts. So starting now will help make you feel more comfortable (not actually comfortable) then if you did nothing at all.

I didn't verify all the sources, but this appears to be well researched and sourced.

https://www.gssiweb.org/sports-scie...athletic-performance-in-warm-hot-environments

Another option to help prepare for training in winter but racing in the unpredictable Florida weather is heat acclimation training outside (similar to your strategy on the treadmill):

So during most of your training you'll be wearing just enough clothes to border on being cold when training outside but staying comfortable. When you enter those last two weeks of training during your taper, switch to overdressing on everyday. It takes approximately 8-10 workouts to acclimate to a different condition (thus for people who run 4+ times per week about 2 weeks).

For example, for a cold workout I might wear columbia long sleeve, tights, and gloves. This would keep me comfortable in the cold weather but wouldn't hinder my performance. But during the taper during the same workout, I'd wear two columbia long sleeves, a cheap running jacket, two pairs of tights, and gloves. It was INCREDIBLY hot and uncomfortable to run in. I didn't care about pace anymore because I was in the taper. I was more concerned with giving the same effort but in this simulated heated environment. By wearing a poorly circulating running jacket, I semi-created a humid environment close to my skin (not allowing the moisture to leave). It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you continue to drink water as if it were a hot environment because this technique will dehydrate you very quickly and you'd like to continue to recover (taper) in advance of the race as well. Also, be very careful during your cool down because without the massive heat being generated by your body you'll get cold quick because of the sweat.

I used this Heat Acclimation strategy in preparation for the 2016/2017 Dopey Challenge. The 2016 marathon was relatively hot and humid (Temp + Dew Point of 140) compared to when I left WI (WC of -50F). That year was the slowest Disney Marathon winning time (2:33) ever. The winner, Fredison Costa, mentioned while accepting the award that he was about 15 minutes off his predicted time (because of the weather). That year, I was roughly 10 minutes off my time (3:45 vs 3:55) using my Heat Acclimation strategy even though I came from the frozen tundra. Is it perfect? Of course not. But it certainly can help make some of the necessary physiological changes in the body to enable you to be better prepared for racing in the heat (on the completely unknown chance it'll be T+D of 140 or like this past year with a T+D of 67).

And a different post with similar information, but some different stuff from December 2016.

According to the research I've read, it takes about 14 days or 10 workouts to acclimate to a new temperature. So around today marks a good time to consider starting. For me personally, I typically dress in whatever I would normally wear for the weather conditions, and then act as if it's the next level of cold. So when I would wear shorts and tank normally in such weather, now I'll wear tights and a thermal. Or if I were to dress in a thermal and tights, now maybe a thermal+jacket and two tights. The point is to dress warmer than you need to be to create a micro-climate close to your skin. You want to be sweating and "feel" hot. This sweating and feeling of being "hot" will induce an adaptation in your body to acclimate to a warmer climate (primarily higher blood plasma and volume level, increased sweat rate, decreased salt amount in sweat, decreased fatigue rate of sweat glands, and quicker onset of sweating).

A few things to keep in mind if you choose to heat acclimate and have never done it before:
-Make sure to increase your fluid intake. Because you'll be sweating more, you'll need more fluids than a normal winter run. So make sure to stay hydrated. There is conflicting research as to whether dehydrated training is the key to heat acclimation, but I personally will not intentionally withhold water from myself.
-Be prepared to sacrifice some of the quality of your workout. You're going to be hot and you may find your pace will slow a bit naturally. In my opinion, that's ok. Don't push it. I would prefer to sacrifice a touch on pacing so that I can better prepare my body for the possible heat in Florida. The minimal gains made in pacing at this point in training would be far-outweighed by the potential gains made through heat acclimation training.
-When the run is finished, make sure to get inside quickly. Because of the excessive sweat rate for a winter run, you're more susceptible to getting cold quickly with all that moisture hanging around your body. So as soon as you finish the run, get inside your home, gym or car. Stretch indoors if possible.
-I will use this method on all types of paced runs from easy to long run to tempo so that my body acclimates at all types of paces, but more-so to get in the necessary workouts (or days) I'm looking for.

Sources:

https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/science-of-hot-weather-running/
https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/summer-training-for-a-marathon/
Putting my treadmill in the bathroom is not really an option for me. LOL

Would the over dressing while training help with only 4ish runs left?

Putting my treadmill in the bathroom is not really an option for me. LOL

Would the over dressing while training help with only 4ish runs left?

Yes, every run with HAT in mind is more helpful than having done nothing at all. I’ve been doing it for 1.5 weeks now and 6 total runs. Each has felt successively more comfortable than the last.

With the current weather forecast saying it might be hot, I figured I'd re-post this about heat acclimation training.
I was pondering this last night and am wondering: is there a temp and/or T+D at which that's it - you're as acclimated as you need to be? So I live in FL, trained through summer at temps and T+Ds most folks consider off-limits. But in comparison, it's been downright cool for the past month+ of my training - most runs have been in temps ranging from 60-75, high (>75%) humidity. That feels much cooler than 80ish, but obviously isn't anywhere near like going from 20* to 80*. So is there any point in me dressing a little heavier for my last couple runs, or are we Floridians already as acclimated as we can get?

I was pondering this last night and am wondering: is there a temp and/or T+D at which that's it - you're as acclimated as you need to be? So I live in FL, trained through summer at temps and T+Ds most folks consider off-limits. But in comparison, it's been downright cool for the past month+ of my training - most runs have been in temps ranging from 60-75, high (>75%) humidity. That feels much cooler than 80ish, but obviously isn't anywhere near like going from 20* to 80*. So is there any point in me dressing a little heavier for my last couple runs, or are we Floridians already as acclimated as we can get?

That's a good question and I'm not sure I know the answer 100%. But here's a thought experiment. Think back to a time when you've had an extended period of time at a lower temp/humidity. When the temp/humidity suddenly jumps back up, does that first day higher temp/humidity feel as comfortable as a week later at the higher temp/humidity? Or does it feel ever so slightly more comfortable after having been in the higher temp/humidity for a week?

My gut instinct says there are always probably gains to be made. While they may be small, they may still be useful. But obviously HAT is pretty miserable if done correctly. So then it's a matter of whether you want to suffer the next week to possibly maybe only slightly make the Disney races more tolerable.

A key quote from the Gatorade site given the earlier Disney races are currently predicted at cooler temps:

Heat acclimatization gradually disappears if not maintained by continued repeated exercise-heat exposures (Pandolf, 1998). The benefits of heat acclimatization are retained for ~1 wk and then decay with about 75% lost by ~3 wk, once heat exposure ends. During this period, re-acclimatization occurs more rapidly than the initial acclimatization when re-exposed to heat (Weller et al., 2007). A day or two of intervening cool weather will not interfere with acclimatization to hot weather. In addition, after achieving heat acclimatization, train-ing and heat acclimatization can be interspersed by every second or third day (Périard et al., 2015; Sawka et al., 2003).

Good morning everyone. With one week to go before Dopey starts, I thought I’d repost these great words of advice from Charles. Hope it helps calm some nerves and get you excited for the races to come.
——-
The hay is in the barn!

Coach Lackey used to yell that as we finished up practice before the big game. It was a groaner to a teen as we really did not understand the meaning of the phrase. Its a simple way of saying trust all the work you have put in this fall and let the race come to you. You may not feel well trained or are suffering through injury or illness or worse; both. Relax.

Think back as you pack and think of how hard it was to run 2 miles last July and now how short a 10 mile run feels. Think of all the trials you went through and how you developed the tool set to pull a run out and finish it rather than throw the towel in and head home. There is an inner peace that you have now that will help carry you through the race(s) this weekend.

If you are in the lack of training or injured camp, trust that the miles put in will help get you to the finish line. I know some have run little since Thanksgiving and yes, you too are able to finish. Keep a positive outlook as you start and it will help carry you to the line.

It is very normal to be a little nervous today; especially if this is your first event. It may be difficult to work as you loop through the what more could I have done list, over and over and over. Note that even those with 20+ marathons have some of the same nerves. The causes may differ just a bit, but the nerves may be just the same. Take a deep breath and relax as you work through this short work week.

Hydrate starting today. You may be snowbound and think that is silly but if you amp up the daily intake by just one glass or two every day this week your body will thank you. Make sure to buy a bottle of water for the plane. Air plane will suck the hydration down.

Make sure you have everything on your check list. I have seen a couple versions floating around, make sure they fit what you have trained with this fall. Carry your race shoes and clothing in a carry on. It does not happen often, but you really do not want your running shoes in Hawaii while you are in Orlando.

Make sure you do not amp up eating once you arrive. Disney has really amped up portion sizes and buffets are just bad news if you fail on self control. You want to maintain a nice balanced and well portioned diet from now until race morning. You simply do not need to gorge on a ton of pasta, a simple and light pasta meal should be more of a celebration of race eve than a thanksgiving meal wannabe.

The weather looks warm and worse humid, I urge a cautious pace on race morning. You know what your training pace has been; start with that or maybe 30-60 seconds slower. Dew point (or wet bulb) temperatures are the statistic to look for. When they are above 60F, caution is needed.

Race morning can be an all nerves on deck period. Take a few deep breaths and make sure you do not walk out the door missing something important like your bottoms. Ok Bib. I find that I allay most nerves by laying out my clothing in a stack; especially in a hotel type room. The first thing or bottom of the stack are my shoes then socks, HR monitor, Shirt, Bottoms. That way you are pulling the first item needed from the top of the stack, then the next and so on.

OK gut check time. I know there are a few folks who are worried about the balloon ladies, sweepers, or just failing. I cannot emphasize enough that you especially need to trust you training. Come on and start with us. It is a great experience to be at the race and in the start. The forward momentum of the morning can create a newer level of energy that may well carry you 5-6 extra miles beyond expectation. Keep one very simple thought as you move through the race The Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum. Its that simple. Rather than worry once you pass Start, focus all thought, effort and action to the simple goal of the Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum. Keep you stride light. Head up. Shoulders back and arms freely swinging with a RELAXED grip. Smile, yes SMILE and take a deep and cleansing breath every so often. Make the Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum your race day mission. Track your personal time from the start line. Make a pace list if you need so that you can check your personal time at every mile point i.e. :16; :32; :48. If you are not building a buffer on those splits stay focused on your race day mission; the Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum. That may mean skipping a photo op, pushing through and avoiding a potty break, or simply knuckling down.

I know that there will be a few who try and try with all their might yet find themselves in a bus seat. Its ok. Understand that you are part of the 1% of the worlds population who will start a marathon event this year. Hold you head high and enjoy the fact that you are not sitting on a couch or you are not the grumpy guest miffed at the runners who are keeping him from easily walking to a ride. You are one of the few who decided to be healthier and fitter last year and this is YOUR celebration and party. Enjoy the race while you are in it and know that even in an apparent failure, you are still a winner. You have moved off the couch. Take lessons learned and apply them to your next race.

Everyone, have safe travels and enjoy the race.

One final thought.
I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. Shane Falco

Get out there and make it a great run!

That's a good question and I'm not sure I know the answer 100%. But here's a thought experiment. Think back to a time when you've had an extended period of time at a lower temp/humidity. When the temp/humidity suddenly jumps back up, does that first day higher temp/humidity feel as comfortable as a week later at the higher temp/humidity? Or does it feel ever so slightly more comfortable after having been in the higher temp/humidity for a week?
In my experience, it depends and is almost 100% dependent on sun, rather than actual temp. I've found that jumping from 40-something one day to 70-something the next to run before sunrise or after sunset has no bearing on how I feel, beyond being more or less sweaty. But 40-something vs. 70-something in full sun is another story entirely, with 70-something hurting a whole lot more. Which makes me think there probably isn't a whole lot I can do to force further acclimatization. But I may roll out tonight in capris and long sleeves (forecast to be near 80) and see what happens!

I got a nice lesson on the effect of humidity during my first marathon... WDW 2016.

That was my first marathon too. Even the Floridians were complaining about the humidity that year. If I remember right, a cold front came through during the race and it felt better later in the second half, plus we had nice cloud cover. I can cope if it's mostly cloudy, but heat, humidity, and sun - that's like the trio of death for me! 😆

Full disclosure: I'm feeling a little stressed about the predicted heat. Have I trained in far, far worse here in FL? Yes, I have. Have I finished races in worse? Yep, that, too. But man - last year's WDW Marathon just punished me; I felt like I was being roasted toward the end. Remembering that is causing the stress, even though I know some of that pain was self-inflicted because I ran the first half too hard for the weather. So I'm doing some mental training now to reduce the fear and get into a better head space. In case it helps others who may be worried, here's where it's going...

I can't control the weather. I can control how I deal with it. I can...

... have a plan for slowing down from the start to reduce early heat stress: I will take an extra walk interval at every 1/2 mile
... wear appropriate clothing: light, airy, wicking
... help myself by making sure I take in adequate fluids and electrolytes the days before
... pour water over my head, neck, wrists at water stops and/or water fountains
... seek shade wherever possible on the course
... carry extra Nuun and Tailwind to ensure adequate electrolyte replacement

Sources:

Good morning everyone. With one week to go before Dopey starts, I thought I’d repost these great words of advice from Charles. Hope it helps calm some nerves and get you excited for the races to come.
——-
The hay is in the barn!

Coach Lackey used to yell that as we finished up practice before the big game. It was a groaner to a teen as we really did not understand the meaning of the phrase. Its a simple way of saying trust all the work you have put in this fall and let the race come to you. You may not feel well trained or are suffering through injury or illness or worse; both. Relax.

Think back as you pack and think of how hard it was to run 2 miles last July and now how short a 10 mile run feels. Think of all the trials you went through and how you developed the tool set to pull a run out and finish it rather than throw the towel in and head home. There is an inner peace that you have now that will help carry you through the race(s) this weekend.

If you are in the lack of training or injured camp, trust that the miles put in will help get you to the finish line. I know some have run little since Thanksgiving and yes, you too are able to finish. Keep a positive outlook as you start and it will help carry you to the line.

It is very normal to be a little nervous today; especially if this is your first event. It may be difficult to work as you loop through the what more could I have done list, over and over and over. Note that even those with 20+ marathons have some of the same nerves. The causes may differ just a bit, but the nerves may be just the same. Take a deep breath and relax as you work through this short work week.

Hydrate starting today. You may be snowbound and think that is silly but if you amp up the daily intake by just one glass or two every day this week your body will thank you. Make sure to buy a bottle of water for the plane. Air plane will suck the hydration down.

Make sure you have everything on your check list. I have seen a couple versions floating around, make sure they fit what you have trained with this fall. Carry your race shoes and clothing in a carry on. It does not happen often, but you really do not want your running shoes in Hawaii while you are in Orlando.

Make sure you do not amp up eating once you arrive. Disney has really amped up portion sizes and buffets are just bad news if you fail on self control. You want to maintain a nice balanced and well portioned diet from now until race morning. You simply do not need to gorge on a ton of pasta, a simple and light pasta meal should be more of a celebration of race eve than a thanksgiving meal wannabe.

The weather looks warm and worse humid, I urge a cautious pace on race morning. You know what your training pace has been; start with that or maybe 30-60 seconds slower. Dew point (or wet bulb) temperatures are the statistic to look for. When they are above 60F, caution is needed.

Race morning can be an all nerves on deck period. Take a few deep breaths and make sure you do not walk out the door missing something important like your bottoms. Ok Bib. I find that I allay most nerves by laying out my clothing in a stack; especially in a hotel type room. The first thing or bottom of the stack are my shoes then socks, HR monitor, Shirt, Bottoms. That way you are pulling the first item needed from the top of the stack, then the next and so on.

OK gut check time. I know there are a few folks who are worried about the balloon ladies, sweepers, or just failing. I cannot emphasize enough that you especially need to trust you training. Come on and start with us. It is a great experience to be at the race and in the start. The forward momentum of the morning can create a newer level of energy that may well carry you 5-6 extra miles beyond expectation. Keep one very simple thought as you move through the race The Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum. Its that simple. Rather than worry once you pass Start, focus all thought, effort and action to the simple goal of the Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum. Keep you stride light. Head up. Shoulders back and arms freely swinging with a RELAXED grip. Smile, yes SMILE and take a deep and cleansing breath every so often. Make the Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum your race day mission. Track your personal time from the start line. Make a pace list if you need so that you can check your personal time at every mile point i.e. :16; :32; :48. If you are not building a buffer on those splits stay focused on your race day mission; the Relentless Pursuit of FORWARD Momentum. That may mean skipping a photo op, pushing through and avoiding a potty break, or simply knuckling down.

I know that there will be a few who try and try with all their might yet find themselves in a bus seat. Its ok. Understand that you are part of the 1% of the worlds population who will start a marathon event this year. Hold you head high and enjoy the fact that you are not sitting on a couch or you are not the grumpy guest miffed at the runners who are keeping him from easily walking to a ride. You are one of the few who decided to be healthier and fitter last year and this is YOUR celebration and party. Enjoy the race while you are in it and know that even in an apparent failure, you are still a winner. You have moved off the couch. Take lessons learned and apply them to your next race.

One final thought.
I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. Shane Falco

Thank you for the fabulous advice! I may have teared up reading @FFigawi post. I’m nervous about many things, mostly the humidity, but I think with your advice and wisdom I can survive it. I may change my shirt choice for the full from black to red in hopes of feeling a bit cooler. I’ve never used the cooling towel I have but I’ll bring it with me I think just in case.

——-
The hay is in the barn!

One final thought.

DH here...
I never thought I'd see this post, and have it apply to us. Marathon Weekend and its annual thread used to be something where we watched and read the tales of everyone else. Now, we arrive at the precipice of MW. DW and I look forward to meeting as many as we can. We might not have remembered to hit "like" or quote and reply, but we have appreciated going through this experience with every one of you.

My @DopeyBadger training plan is 21 weeks, or as I have been saying: 20 weeks with 1 week of celebration at the end. This morning was my last run with "hard" paces in it. DW and I have both had ever escalating monthly mileage PRs for the last several months to numbers that, for us, were previously unheard of. Look for me in C for Goofy and DW in E for the half!

——-

This definitely got the butterflies going for me; so excited for next week!

Yes, every run with HAT in mind is more helpful than having done nothing at all. I’ve been doing it for 1.5 weeks now and 6 total runs. Each has felt successively more comfortable than the last.

On Tuesday, it was around 32-34F here, and I ran in a hooded thermal half-zip with a jacket over top, as well as insulated pants. I was HOT. Here's hoping that it will help!

I need to ask a stupid question. This is my first runDisney event. I keep looking at the event guide and the maps, and I'm still really confused about the corrals and this "walk-out" to the start line. Is there lots of signage near the start? Will it be pretty obvious where I'm supposed to be? How will I know if they're closing my corral (A)?

I'm planning to be there early enough to figure all this out, but with taper madness creeping in, I'm starting to have worries about knowing where I need to go on race morning. Also having worries about not having enough training, despite having 4 successful 20+ mile runs under my belt 🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter