Marathon Weekend 2020

This is my first marathon weekend staying at a monorail resort - any pointers? I am at the Poly and just doing the marathon. Should I walk to the TTC? Get on the monorail at Poly and switch at TTC? How much time should I allot for the trip? I have only used the buses before.
Yeah I would recommend just walking to the TTC. I stayed at Bay Lake Tower in 2018 and got up when I normally would for a bus.

Walk to the TTC for sure. I think last year we left our room at Poly for like 4:15, walked to the TTC and I as in my corral without any issue. I wasn't in A last year but still had plenty of time for a B corral arrival.

At least it won’t be freezing while we are all standing/sitting around. :) This will be my 3rd year doing the Disney Marathon and my wife’s 1st year doing the Half. Looking forward to a fantastic weekend! Happy New Year!

I think it’s a little too early to be making definitive weather statements like this... :)

I think it’s a little too early to be making definitive weather statements like this... :)
Yes, the forecast can be very unreliable at this point. The 2017 forecast shows the unreliability quite well. With 1 week to go before the HM, we had no indication of any severe weather -- only the possibility of showers. And, despite the 1 week prediction of 55 (or 52) degrees as the low temperature, the 2017 FM had an official race start temperature of 37 degrees with strong 30+ mph wind gusts.

(Full credit to @rteetz for the following weather info; I copied it from his 2017 Weather Watch thread)

Weather.com forecast on 12/31/2016
1/4- High 77 Low 54
1/5- High 77 Low 56
1/6- High 74 Low 56
1/7- High 75 Low 55 showers at night
1/8- High 70 Low 52 shower in the morning

Then, the predicted temperatures dropped significantly in just 1 day... but still about 10+ degrees away from the actual temps.

Weather.com forecast on 1/1/2017:

img_3514-png.212663

This is my first marathon weekend staying at a monorail resort - any pointers? I am at the Poly and just doing the marathon. Should I walk to the TTC? Get on the monorail at Poly and switch at TTC? How much time should I allot for the trip? I have only used the buses before.

yes walk to TTC. It is much quicker. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Epcot, but you will have a walk to get to the race. I love staying at the Poly for marathon weekend. I would allow 30 minutes of travel time. You decide how early you want to leave. As @DopeyBadgersays how late you leave depends on how much risk you are willing to accept.

Does anyone have experience with name change and bib pick up? My sister registered for the Half months ago using her new married name (wedding was in September), but she didn't realize what a long process it would be to go through the name change. She has a driver's license with her maiden name and a copy of her marriage license application (the state she married in doesn't send you the actual license).

She only just realized when she went to print her waiver today when she typed in her maiden name and it said "not found." A moment of panic before we realized she'd registered with her married name. Then a new moment of panic because she doesn't have a matching ID.

I agree it is still not accurate but what I’ve noticed over the years is that as we get closer, we start seeing trends of temps getting lower or higher. We are starting to see a trend of getting warmer for next weekend. We all know this can change again but as we get closer, at least the trends start to get a bit more reliable.
Yes, the forecast can be very unreliable at this point. The 2017 forecast shows the unreliability quite well. With 1 week to go before the HM, we had no indication of any severe weather -- only the possibility of showers. And, despite the 1 week prediction of 55 (or 52) degrees as the low temperature, the 2017 FM had an official race start temperature of 37 degrees with strong 30+ mph wind gusts.

(Full credit to @rteetz for the following weather info; I copied it from his 2017 Weather Watch thread)

Weather.com forecast on 12/31/2016
1/4- High 77 Low 54
1/5- High 77 Low 56
1/6- High 74 Low 56
1/7- High 75 Low 55 showers at night
1/8- High 70 Low 52 shower in the morning

Then, the predicted temperatures dropped significantly in just 1 day... but still about 10+ degrees away from the actual temps.

Weather.com forecast on 1/1/2017:

img_3514-png.212663

Happy New Year, everyone!!

1/1/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 69°/51° Partly sunny
Thu 1/9 - 70°/62° Times of clouds and sun
Fri 1/10 - 80°/65° Warmer with a shower possible
Sat 1/11 - 81°/64° Warm with variable cloudiness
Sun 1/12 - 80°/64° Cloudy

1/1/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 65°/56° Partly cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 76°/66° Partly cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 80°/69° Partly cloudy
Sat 1/11 - 80°/69° Partly cloudy
Sun 1/12 - 81°/69° PM thunderstorms
12/31/19 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 71°/49° More clouds than sun
Thu 1/9 - 68°/53° Mostly sunny
Fri 1/10 - 73°/62° Some sun, a shower possible
Sat 1/11 - 79°/62° Times of clouds and sun
Sun 1/12 - 79°/61° Mostly cloudy

12/31/19 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 70°/53° Partly cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 66°/59° Partly cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 77°/65° Scattered Thunderstorms
Sat 1/11 - 77°/65° Scattered Thunderstorms
Sun 1/12 - 78°/66° Isolated Thunderstorms

Happy New Year, everyone!!

1/1/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 69°/51° Partly sunny
Thu 1/9 - 70°/62° Times of clouds and sun
Fri 1/10 - 80°/65° Warmer with a shower possible
Sat 1/11 - 81°/64° Warm with variable cloudiness
Sun 1/12 - 80°/64° Cloudy

1/1/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 65°/56° Partly cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 76°/66° Partly cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 80°/69° Partly cloudy
Sat 1/11 - 80°/69° Partly cloudy
Sun 1/12 - 81°/69° PM thunderstorms
Am I correct with thinking the humidity is gonna suck with those clouds and temps?

So on Saturday, I tripped over a root and fell hard on my knee. A lot of pain now when I try to run, but there’s no visible swelling or bruising. Anyone had this happen, and if so, how long did you rest before it got better? I’m kind of devastated this happened 2 weeks from the marathon date.
2 weeks before Princess half last year, I fell hard on both knees on concrete chasing my dog who had gotten loose. My knees were bruised and slightly swollen. I felt a lot better by the time Princess weekend came. My knees did start to hurt a little during the race but did not prohibit me from running.
This year, I am unfortunately having IT band pain in right knee. Hoping to be able to finish my first marathon despite that.

Does anyone remember what they serve prior to the races for coffee food etc. and roughly the cost? Also I was looking at my data from 2017: On the day of the 10k, I got up at 3:12 am, left Riverside at 3:40, and arrived at Epcot at 3:57 with a 5:34 start. For the Marathon, I got up at 3:16, left Riverside at 3:49, (no arrival time) and began the marathon at 5:48. With a start that will be 30 minutes earlier, will I be all set with bumping my marathon wake up time to 2:45, about a half an hour earlier than in 2017?

Does anyone remember what they serve prior to the races for coffee food etc. and roughly the cost? Also I was looking at my data from 2017: On the day of the 10k, I got up at 3:12 am, left Riverside at 3:40, and arrived at Epcot at 3:57 with a 5:34 start. For the Marathon, I got up at 3:16, left Riverside at 3:49, (no arrival time) and began the marathon at 5:48. With a start that will be 30 minutes earlier, will I be all set with bumping my marathon wake up time to 2:45, about a half an hour earlier than in 2017?

I know it sucks to set the alarm earlier. Trust me I’m dreading it. But they have to close the roads even earlier this year because of the loop.We’re supposed to be IN Epcot starting area by 3:30. The walkover for the chairs and adaptives will be staring about 3:45 from what someone else said (I think it was @DopeyBadger?) which means most likely the roads will actually close by 3:30. This means that the line at Riverside will be longer the closer you get to 3:30. And I’ve stayed there and seen how bad the lines can get I think 3:15ish would still be cutting it close. I would just swallow the extra 15 minutes and set it for 2:30.

I’m staying at Riverside and might be Ubering over to avoid the stress on full morning (depends on what the line looks like by the time I get to the front door). If you can get down to the main building by about 3:00 and find me. Your welcome to join me if that’s what I’m doing.

yes walk to TTC. It is much quicker. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Epcot, but you will have a walk to get to the race. I love staying at the Poly for marathon weekend. I would allow 30 minutes of travel time. You decide how early you want to leave. As @DopeyBadgersays how late you leave depends on how much risk you are willing to accept.

30 minutes including the walk to TTC?

Plus the walk to the security checkpoint, plus bag check, etc. before the corrals open.

Just trying to figure out my plan of attack! :)

@steph0808 it is dependent on when you catch the monorail. I would say for planning to leave the hotel i would say the range is 30 to 50 minutes. the issue is if you just miss the monorail. Once on the monorail it would be 30 minutes.

I’ve never run less than a half marathon at WDW, doing Dopey this time around. What is the deal with 5k and 10k corrals? I’m in “C” for the half & full, that’s all I know...

I’ve never run less than a half marathon at WDW, doing Dopey this time around. What is the deal with 5k and 10k corrals? I’m in “C” for the half & full, that’s all I know...
Those corrals don’t get released ahead of time. There are only three corrals for the 5K and 6 for the 10K.

Does anyone have experience with name change and bib pick up? My sister registered for the Half months ago using her new married name (wedding was in September), but she didn't realize what a long process it would be to go through the name change. She has a driver's license with her maiden name and a copy of her marriage license application (the state she married in doesn't send you the actual license).

She only just realized when she went to print her waiver today when she typed in her maiden name and it said "not found." A moment of panic before we realized she'd registered with her married name. Then a new moment of panic because she doesn't have a matching ID.

No experience with this specific issue, but a question and suggestion. Has she updated her passport yet? If so, that might work. Will suggest emailing Track Shack for help, and potentially adding extra time and patience to the bib pickup process.

The name change process is a real P.I.T.A.

Those corrals don’t get released ahead of time. There are only three corrals for the 5K and 6 for the 10K.
Blech. 😣 it would be nice to know what time I’m going off for Boarding Group acquisition planning purposes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter