Marathon Weekend 2020

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know: what is your favorite "land" within a Disney park? i.e. Tomorrowland, World Showcase, Dinoland, USA, etc. Be sure to tell us why that particular land is your favorite. Is it theming? A particular ride or restaurant?
Pandora.

It’s the most immersive land in a Disney park for the moment and it’s in my favorite park. It has great food and one of the best rides on property.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know: what is your favorite "land" within a Disney park? i.e. Tomorrowland, World Showcase, Dinoland, USA, etc. Be sure to tell us why that particular land is your favorite. Is it theming? A particular ride or restaurant?
Well, since you are considering it a “land” for the purposes of this question, Epcot’s World Showcase is my favorite! Epcot is my favorite WDW park and WS is the main reason. I love eating, drinking and window shopping my way around the world. There are so many options, especially during my favorite festival, Food and Wine. Most of all, I love how the counties remind me of the real thing!

Side note, I have heard several people say they don’t need to travel the world because they’ve been to WS. That is just sad...don’t be one of those people! As amazing of a job Disney does in recreating these magical places, it is not a substitution for the real thing! Try to do what I have done, visit the real countries and let WS remind you of those special memories!

SAFD: it’s a tough, tough decision between New Orleans Square and the World Showcase for me. Columbia Harbour House is my favorite MK restaurant and Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride at WDW. World Showcase is just such a marvelous place to spend a day wandering around in, though. So many great restaurants, shops and cultural displays! I guess if I were forced to pick, I’d have to go with the World Showcase just for the sheer volume of experiences available.

I am doing a half marathon in Sept. so my official training plan for that race day starts today. DD and I did a local Mother’s Day 5k this morning. It should have been an easy race with low temps and rain but for some reason I struggled. It started as soon as I hit start on my Garmin and it died immediately even though I thought I had charged it all night.
Oh well. DD and I are doing another 5k at her high school on Sat. so I’m hoping that will go better.

It is only DD’s second 5k and she never runs but she did great this time. Last time she struggled and constantly looked like she was limping. I forced her to get some proper running shoes instead of her tennis sneakers and I think that definitely made it better for her.

SAFD: I love Adventureland in MK. In part it's because we always turn left at the end of Main Street so it always feels like the very start of our trip. And of course Dole Whip. I love the drum music, love all the themed merchandise in that area, love Pirates. I even love Swiss Family Treehouse, it's one of the few things I remember from my very first trip there in like 1978 thereabouts. Edited to add that so much of that "land" is 70's nostalgic. Tiki Room, come on! Also something I remember so well from my first trip, I was 7 and it scared the crap out of me. I also still remember that pirate parrot that used to sit in front of Pirates and kind of be a "barker" for the ride. Don't know if that was 70s or later though.

Not much HS love on this thread but I also like Sunset Blvd, just love that theming and the lead-in to Tower of Terror. The whole walk there puts me in the frame of mind for the ride. Also the Muppets neighborhood whatever that is called. Late 70s Muppet Show is the best; that sense of humor is so distinctive. I would buy that Miss Piggy statue to put in my yard if they ever re-theme that section in the future, damn the cost.

SAFD: Paradise Pier. May it rest in peace.
I love California, so I love that there was a part of the park that was dedicated to something so iconically California - the Santa Monica Pier.
I also love how it was themed so well that people hated it because it was "too much like an off the shelf theme park" ... yeah, that was the point.
Also, California Screamin'.

Side note, I have heard several people say they don’t need to travel the world because they’ve been to WS. That is just sad...don’t be one of those people! As amazing of a job Disney does in recreating these magical places, it is not a substitution for the real thing! Try to do what I have done, visit the real countries and let WS remind you of those special memories!

Also, please don't be one of those people that goes to the places represented by Epcot in WS and complains that "it's not as good as Epcot".....loudly.

It’s kinda like thinking that France is just Paris. There is sooooooo much more there. So much.

Dear (my daughter’s name),
Yes I am dragging you to France. And sorry but we are just using Paris as a layover to get to Brittany, Normandy, Lyon, and Savoie, and maybe Gascony and Provence since I’ve never been. Once again, sorry kid.
Love,
Dad

SAFD: I'm torn between Adventureland and Frontierland. I also really enjoy Pandora. If forced to choose I think I'd pick Frontierland because I love the background music.

As for races/training, I've got a 5K at the end of this month. It's sure to be a disaster bc the last two weeks I've basically done no exercise. Hoping to get back on track starting tomorrow. I'm thinking about a local 10K in September and that's all I really have planned right now.

SAFD: Adventureland. I love everything about it; the rides, the snacks, the kitschy atmosphere, the treehouse, etc. While walking around looking for the pre-park breakfast check-ins, someone told us it was at Adventureland. When we asked a cast member if she knew where to go, she repeatedly screamed at us “THIS IS ADVENTURELAAAAANNNND” kind of like the “This is Sparta” line from 300. It was kind of funny that we got yelled at by a CM so we yell it at each other now when we walk in; it just makes me love it even more.

SAFD:

For me it is probably it’s a tie between Frontierland and Fantasyland. In Frontierland, one of my nostalgic favorites is actually Tom Sawyer Island because as a kid it was one of my favorite books and between the Riverboat, Mike Fink Keel Boats, and being able to run around like crazy burning off energy was great. For Fantasyland, this is probably influenced by when I went there in the early 80s when they still had Snow White and 20000 leagues. Those were where I got to experience the films I grew up with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter