• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Just found the official 2018 USATF certified map for the marathon -- not sure if this has already been posted, but here is the link:

http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL16092TY

:teeth: I totally geek out on these maps; I don't think I'm the only one...

After checking out the details, the mile markers line up exactly with last year's markers starting at mile 13 (actually, at the 20K marker). That 'highly imaginative' 11 mile turnaround provides an easy place to adjust the distance (which is needed due to the new path through the Magic Kingdom).

And here's the map for the half-marathon:

http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17092TY

One good use for the tech race shirts, regardless of color is layering for cold weather.
They are thin, you can stack a bunch of them and they don't weigh you down.
The temp was 0 this morning and I had five race shirts on under a larger sweatshirt.
Green, yellow, blue, orange...I need more reds.

The downside is the static electricity.
I touched the console and ZAP! The TV and Blu-ray fired up on their own.

:teeth: I totally geek out on these maps; I don't think I'm the only one...

Me, too. Actually bought the display map from 2015 10k route from Theme Park Connections. It is on display in the hallway again, since I took down the Christmas decorations today!

@willieT, the "11 mile turn around" should be optional.
Sadly, many runners treat this stretch as optional -- you can check out the results and see the ridiculous split times from the 10m mat to the HM mat. A few runners beat me last year by skipping the turn-around. Not a big deal, I guess, but it still bugs me. Derek from www.marathoninvestigation.com wrote a few articles on cheating at the Disney marathon, and this turnaround provides a prime location.

I'm going to change my attitude this year and follow DopeyBadger's lead for the 11m turnaround: I'll use this area to scan for runners I might know and also look for any runners I might be able to catch. And if I see any cheaters... I'll just let karma handle it. :rolleyes:

Why are the 10K and half the same color?

I think the 10k looks navy blue and the half is black.They're not horrible but predictable,I'm only running the full and the only one I'm upset I'm not getting is the white Goofy one,I'm just a fan of white shirts and don't have a single white one of the 15-20 RunDisney race shirts I own.The red marathon one is okay but for those of us who mostly do the full each year they just use blue and red too much.The black one from 2015 when I did Goofy I liked but that year the half was also red.Even the weird baby blue one from 2014 while far from my favorite was something different,of my 8 race shirts from marathon weekend since 2013 5 are either royal blue or red.

Accuweather

1/3 - H 50 L 32 81% chance of rain during the day
1/4 - H 54 L 30 Sunny and breezy
1/5 - H 52 L 33 Sunny and cool
1/6 - H 57 L 38 Sunny and cool
1/7 - H 65 L 49 Cloudy

Weather.com

1/3 - H 51 L 32 100% chance of rain during the day
1/4 - H 53 L 31 Sunny with winds from 10-20 MPH
1/5 - H 51 L 35 Sunny with some clouds, winds from 10-15 MPH
1/6 - H 56 L 40 Mostly sunny winds 10-15 MPH
1/7 - H 68 L 52 Mostly sunny, winds 10-15 MPH

Today's update...

At least it is an improvement from last year. A bit breezy, but the temperature looks almost perfect on Sunday.

I remember talk of texting the character stops. Is anyone still planning to do that for the marathon?

Tell me how crazy I am....

DW and I are staying at POR, but plan to drive over for the 5k/10k/possibly half as well. I'd rather wake up a bit earlier and sit in my warm car as long as possible than ride the bus and sit in the freezing cold.
I have a car booked for tomorrow specifically for that reason. Will make my decision in the morning.

Tell me how crazy I am....

DW and I are staying at POR, but plan to drive over for the 5k/10k/possibly half as well. I'd rather wake up a bit earlier and sit in my warm car as long as possible than ride the bus and sit in the freezing cold.

Not crazy at all. I am thinking along the same lines for the 5K and the 10K. I am staying over at the Fort.

Question:
If you ride Everest, Tower of Terror, or R&R Coaster does the distance become USATF uncertified?

I may not be understanding your question, but certification only relates to the course itself ... not an individual’s performance on the course.

The certifier has measured the course and determined that the shortest route possible will equal no less than 26.2 miles. You’ll see the notes that designate major markers for signage (to avoid confusion or runners getting lost) that helps race directors and their logistics crew make sure that the course is being marked for runners as is certified and denoted by USATF.

But if you ride something during the Marathon, the only thing it truly affects is your finish time. You still will have finished a certified USATF course.

Heads up. I was checking the bus start times as I went through the lobby to my room. There saying to be on the buses by 3:30 not 4 for the half and full his year for some reason. Not sure if that means they are going to stop sooner or what

Same. I stay at Beach Club and drive to all four races!
May I ask how long one can stay in their car in the parking lot before leaving for the corrals? We are driving to do the 5K and would also like to stay in the parked car for as long as possible given the predicted temps Thursday morning! I'm not sure how long of a walk it is from the parking to the corrals?

May I ask how long one can stay in their car in the parking lot before leaving for the corrals? We are driving to do the 5K and would also like to stay in the parked car for as long as possible given the predicted temps Thursday morning! I'm not sure how long of a walk it is from the parking to the corrals?

Since you have a car and (likely) won’t be bringing a bag with you ... it will depend on your corral. I don't plan to get out of my car to head to the corrals until 5:15 a.m. for the 5K and 10K (I'm in B) - I don't really want to be at the front of my corral because I don't like possibly being at the front of a "wave", and I don't like to listen to Carissa for one minute more than I have to. It's max a 10-15 minute walk from your car to the corrals? If that? I don't stop for the porta-potty or anything either and I'm usually settling in to my corral around the start of the first corral.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter